Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:30 am (Sporcle spoiler)

Leading scorers in NBA Finals games played by Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
Shawn Kemp
Detlef Schrempf!
Hakeem would be on there had Jordan not put a hit out on his dad so he could use that as an excuse to avoid the Rockets.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Optimus Prime and Megatron are brothers, apparently? Wut.

Edit

Nope, they are not. I read something wrong online and thought I missed something that I should've known.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Buckaroo = vaquero
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:33 pm Buckaroo = vaquero
When I was a boy in Colorado, Denver had a minor-league hockey team called the Spurs. Among their rivals in the old Western Hockey League was the Portland … Buckaroos.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just now I learned from Alexa that Puma is pronounced Pyooma and not Pooma. It could be possible I've just never heard anyone say that word my entire life I guess but seems unlikely with all the nature docs I watch.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also, dope track suits and sneakers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also, Alexa is (notoriously) full of shit. There's no "y" sound in there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:13 pm Just now I learned from Alexa that Puma is pronounced Pyooma and not Pooma. It could be possible I've just never heard anyone say that word my entire life I guess but seems unlikely with all the nature docs I watch.
Do you have Alexa set to British?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:07 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:13 pm Just now I learned from Alexa that Puma is pronounced Pyooma and not Pooma. It could be possible I've just never heard anyone say that word my entire life I guess but seems unlikely with all the nature docs I watch.
Do you have Alexa set to British?
I do not. Maybe the band, Black Pumas just pronounce it that way.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I heard at a 5K race recently that the Hoka One One sneakers that are all the rage are pronounced "OH-nay OH-nay".
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:53 pm Image
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Reaper wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:16 pm
I heard at a 5K race recently that the Hoka One One sneakers that are all the rage are pronounced "OH-nay OH-nay".
I just say hokas and I love them.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

From Nat Geo...

"When you stand at the South pole, all lines of longitude converge at that exact point, so you are literally standing in 24 different time zones. You can step from today, into tomorrow and then back into yesterday."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't you do that if you're standing near the line between two time zones?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:29 pm Can't you do that if you're standing near the line between two time zones?
I think it must mean not taking the second step backwards.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The lead singer of Blur also started Gorillaz.

viewtopic.php?p=368085#p368085
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:44 pm The lead singer of Blur also started Gorillaz.

And suddenly I feel hip again. Even I knew that one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:44 pm The lead singer of Blur also started Gorillaz.

I’ve read he was also knighted.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I always assumed Deandre Hopkins nickname was Nuke because he's like a missile. Apparently it's because he used to chew through Nuk pacifiers as an infant.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was at a wedding this weekend, and got talking with a guy who has worked in the Costco corporate office for over 30 years. He told me that a large portion of Costco's profit 90%?...something like that) comes from the membership fees...that selling merchandise is pretty much a loss leader.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:12 pm I was at a wedding this weekend, and got talking with a guy who has worked in the Costco corporate office for over 30 years. He told me that a large portion of Costco's profit 90%?...something like that) comes from the membership fees...that selling merchandise is pretty much a loss leader.
That sounds crazy to me based on my habits. Now is that membership fee is rolled in with credit card interest when you go with the version I think that makes sense. But if say, five people had the same membership as I did and never went I guess that evens the scales too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:12 pm I was at a wedding this weekend, and got talking with a guy who has worked in the Costco corporate office for over 30 years. He told me that a large portion of Costco's profit 90%?...something like that) comes from the membership fees...that selling merchandise is pretty much a loss leader.
I just looked it up - https://www.statista.com/statistics/718 ... mberships/ - 111 million members.

$60- $120 bucks a pop for membership (in Canada)... that adds up. $6-$12 billion each year
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I suppose it is true profit though. Y’all that does is get you in the door other things Costco had to pay for so margíns would be smaller naturally.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I am convinced that regular trips to Costco contributed to my having had a heart attack.

The rush of stress upon entering the doors could not have been good for my health.

Obviously I kid, but at its best, a trip to Costco was a horrible shopping experience punctuated by a free perogi or 4 ounce cup of generic Gatorade.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:33 am I am convinced that regular trips to Costco contributed to my having had a heart attack.

The rush of stress upon entering the doors could not have been good for my health.

Obviously I kid, but at its best, a trip to Costco was a horrible shopping experience punctuated by a free perogi or 4 ounce cup of generic Gatorade.
I hear you. That place sets off my anxiety like little else. It's always insanely crowded, usually with complete turds of human beings and the staff seems constantly stressed.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The last time I walked into one was Super Bowl Sunday and I walked right out.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I only go with the help of supplements at this point.

Additionally I got prescribed an anti-anxiety med for the first time. Hasn't been filled yet but we will see if that makes any difference. Not just with Costco, mind you.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You should try their competitor. Way more relaxing!

Sam's Club joke probably below
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:40 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:33 am I am convinced that regular trips to Costco contributed to my having had a heart attack.

I hear you. That place sets off my anxiety like little else. It's always insanely crowded, usually with complete turds of human beings and the staff seems constantly stressed.
Costco has nothing on IKEA. That place is a nightmare.

The Costco exec guy also told me that when they expanded into the Far East (Japan, China) consultants were telling them that they were insane, that the business model wouldn't work because the homes/apartments were too small for people to buy in bulk. But what's happened is that extended families will shop at Costco, and divide up the items to split among homes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The warehouse bulk stores don't bother me, but I stopped bringing my wife years ago. Guaranteed panic attack when she'd see the lines. We walked out of BJs numerous times either upon first entering, or halfway through shopping. The lines usually move fast and just look enormous, especially now that they form one single line that can run close to the back of the store. Post-COVID, BJ's hasn't seemed nearly as crowded as it used to.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:38 pm The warehouse bulk stores don't bother me, but I stopped bringing my wife years ago. Guaranteed panic attack when she'd see the lines. We walked out of BJs numerous times either upon first entering, or halfway through shopping. The lines usually move fast and just look enormous, especially now that they form one single line that can run close to the back of the store. Post-COVID, BJ's hasn't seemed nearly as crowded as it used to.
I mean, are you just baiting us? BJs, panic attacks upon entering. Only thing out of place is "look enormous".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:43 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:38 pm The warehouse bulk stores don't bother me, but I stopped bringing my wife years ago. Guaranteed panic attack when she'd see the lines. We walked out of BJs numerous times either upon first entering, or halfway through shopping. The lines usually move fast and just look enormous, especially now that they form one single line that can run close to the back of the store. Post-COVID, BJ's hasn't seemed nearly as crowded as it used to.
I mean, are you just baiting us? BJs, panic attacks upon entering. Only thing out of place is "look enormous".
And I said I stopped bringing my wife. Total lack of thought on my part.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

You just need a few strategies to survive Costco

1.) Roll fast but through the entire store, just work the lines, back and forth..but there is no backtracking...miss something let it go. If you can't make a quick decision to buy it, don't. People tend to get and respect the speed run approach, so they let you move well. In this model though you have to just avoid the dead middle of the store (clothing, books, toys, holiday decorations, etc).
or
2.) Go in for a few items you want and duck out.
Anything else setup for failure

Build your cart so it is easy to checkout and organize for getting to your car/unpacking at home.

My issues
1.) The parking lot...nothing good happening there...accept it
2.) Salmon (not the fish but people going against the flow) and idiots who are not aware of their movement/cart movements impact others
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Salmon are an epidemic in my favorite grocery store.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:21 pm Salmon are an ...idem... in my favorite grocery store.
Uh, I think that's universal and maybe work on your spelling?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:15 pm You just need a few strategies to survive Costco

1.) Roll fast but through the entire store, just work the lines, back and forth..but there is no backtracking...miss something let it go. If you can't make a quick decision to buy it, don't. People tend to get and respect the speed run approach, so they let you move well. In this model though you have to just avoid the dead middle of the store (clothing, books, toys, holiday decorations, etc).
or
2.) Go in for a few items you want and duck out.
Anything else setup for failure

Build your cart so it is easy to checkout and organize for getting to your car/unpacking at home.
- Pay for the executive membership. Depending where you are, you get the early hour on weekdays. You'll make the difference back on your annual membership multiple times over.
- Go when they open (or shortly before), even if you have to go on the weekend.
- Make a list and stick to it.
- Use the low-traffic spots (outer aisles in most of their stores, some have less helpful layouts) for faster movement/parking the cart and walking to pick up items.
- You can get out of there in under 30 minutes, even if you're buying a lot of stuff. I will be going tomorrow and have an 18-item list. I'll be leaving the parking lot 30 minutes after I get there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

LIVESTREAM!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

No need.

"Go when they open" (especially if you get the early hour for the executive/business membership) is the real key and, obviously, being able to do so on a weekday is a big help. That said, I used to be able to do it in LA during the early hour without showing up before/when the doors opened.