2014 NFL Week 1

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

2014 NFL Week 1

Post by A_B »

I think it's time for the thread.

Michael Sam ends up with the Cowboys, which is a really good landing spot for him, IMO. They won't care about any potential media circus and they're a team that lacks depth at that position as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: 2014 NFL Week 1

Post by Ryan »

Can we just agree that we all thought of the same 2 pop culture-y hack jokes here and nobody's going to actually bring them up?

But if you didn't, and want to guess..!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Cowboys defense is beyond dreadful, I'd be shocked if he isn't on the active roster by their bye.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:Can we just agree that we all thought of the same 2 pop culture-y hack jokes here and nobody's going to actually bring them up?

I didn't, but I'm guessing Sam just needs to find a policeman, construction worker, sailor and Native American to pal around with?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I hope they are stocking up on pudding at that practice facility!
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote:Can we just agree that we all thought of the same 2 pop culture-y hack jokes here and nobody's going to actually bring them up?

One of them took me awhile. A rhyme off the QB's name?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He doesn't use his penis for breedin'?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote:I hope they are stocking up on pudding at that practice facility!
"I wish I knew how to quit you!"
"Give us the playbook and leave."
"Oh, ok, that'll do it."

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Sybian wrote:I didn't, but I'm guessing Sam just needs to find a policeman, construction worker, sailor and Native American to pal around with?
And yes. Glad we avoided these.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB, for once, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:

The defense sucks already?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:

The defense sucks already?
Can't wait for his embarrassing photos with Jerry Jones?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So, who does he have to blow to make this team?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Cowboys are going to sell his practice jersey in their pro shop. A less cynical person might assume the Cowboys signed him for reasons other than his ability to help the team on the field. (Though seriously that defense is so bad, that he probably will end up on the roster before too long.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:AB, for once, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
I really wasn't.Cowboys are used to media circuses and like others have pointed out, that defense is pretty bad, so if you're gonna hook up wiith (ha!) a team, this is a pretty good fit.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Jerloma wrote:AB, for once, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
I really wasn't.Cowboys are used to media circuses and like others have pointed out, that defense is pretty bad, so if you're gonna hook up wiith (ha!) a team, this is a pretty good fit.

I think Jerry loves any attention. But especially from scantily clad coeds.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:Cowboys are going to sell his practice jersey in their pro shop. A less cynical person might assume the Cowboys signed him for reasons other than his ability to help the team on the field. (Though seriously that defense is so bad, that he probably will end up on the roster before too long.)
I bet the dude sees the field this year for the Cowboys or somebody. You don't earn SEC player of the year by accident. I know he played preseason against bench guys and dudes driving trucks this week, but he dominated, just like you'd want him to. I think the guy can play (for what little that's worth).
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:Cowboys are going to sell his practice jersey in their pro shop. A less cynical person might assume the Cowboys signed him for reasons other than his ability to help the team on the field. (Though seriously that defense is so bad, that he probably will end up on the roster before too long.)
I bet the dude sees the field this year for the Cowboys or somebody. You don't earn SEC player of the year by accident. I know he played preseason against bench guys and dudes driving trucks this week, but he dominated, just like you'd want him to. I think the guy can play (for what little that's worth).
He's one of the best Missouri linemen of the past 10 years, a group that's included players drafted like Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Aldon Smith, Ziggy Hood, Stryker Sulak, Brian Smith, Atiyyah Ellison and CJ Mosley. Obviously college does not automatically translate to the pros, but if you're a football fan you probably only recognize Sheldon, Aldon and Kony. (Ziggy for the Steeler fans, (interested to see how he does in a different scheme in Jax)) And his stats stacked up favorably with those three players.

I don't think he'll be an all-pro, but he's going to play in the league.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

College production means a lot less than you're implying. You can't compare Sam to those guys with such a broad brush. I'm not saying he's NOT going to be productive in the pros, but just because those guys were doesn't mean anything. The one thing he has in his favor is that his one major current skill set (attacking the QB) will always be in demand and his lack of speed isn't as much of an issue as it would be at other positions. If he is activated this year I'd be surprised to see him in anything other than 2nd and 3rd and long situations since he's going to be a liability in the run game in the short term.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sam was one of the weakest SEC DPOY's in recent memory and he got like most of his sacks against Florida and a scrub school. He's the gay Bjoern Werner.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:College production means a lot less than you're implying. You can't compare Sam to those guys with such a broad brush. I'm not saying he's NOT going to be productive in the pros, but just because those guys were doesn't mean anything. The one thing he has in his favor is that his one major current skill set (attacking the QB) will always be in demand and his lack of speed isn't as much of an issue as it would be at other positions. If he is activated this year I'd be surprised to see him in anything other than 2nd and 3rd and long situations since he's going to be a liability in the run game in the short term.
Or were you inferring? Because If we were comparing counting stats, Sam stacks up as good or better than all of them. And all of them were drafted ahead of Sam. There was no implication of production = better. Because I'm the first person to point out how Sam's sacks came in bunches last year.

But the reason I said what I did is because he can rush the passer -- the guys who have been relatively successful in the pros from MU have been able to do that. Not because Sam was an All-American and they weren't.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:Sam was one of the weakest SEC DPOY's in recent memory and he got like most of his sacks against Florida and a scrub school. He's the gay Bjoern Werner.
Arkansas State, Vanderbilt, Florida, South Carolina, A&M and Oklahoma State.

And comparing a seventh-round pick to a first-rounder at this point in their careers is flattering.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Well, Bjoern Werner sucks balls. Figuratively.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Sam was one of the weakest SEC DPOY's in recent memory and he got like most of his sacks against Florida and a scrub school. He's the gay Bjoern Werner.

And comparing a seventh-round pick to a first-rounder at this point in their careers is flattering.

I didn't realize that Vandy was actually good last year.

Anyway, 9 sacks in 3 games, 6 against two poor teams. Bjoern Werner did that and people thought he was good and he predictably sucks, and Sam may well be the same.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

I didn't realize that Vandy was actually good last year.

Anyway, 9 sacks in 3 games, 6 against two poor teams. Bjoern Werner did that and people thought he was good and he predictably sucks, and Sam may well be the same.
So what are you arguing against with the comparison? Sam may very well stink. He may very well have a meh career (I think ultimately this is what happens), he could be out of the league in 18 months or could be an all-pro. But I don't think there are many people who are saying he was considerably under-drafted.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sam's Sacks would be a pretty great fan section name.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Buffalo sports radio is all Kyle Orton at the moment.

But then again, he is getting paid like a starter (and has a player option on next season. That's right, an option to come back for $5.5 million), and Manuel has impressed approximately 17 people with his development.

Oh, this could be another very long season. Life's great when you are both a Bills and a Browns fan - think this will be another season where they combine for 9-11 wins.

Season starts Sunday - I'd better go stock the bar.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:Buffalo sports radio is all Kyle Orton at the moment.

But then again, he is getting paid like a starter (and has a player option on next season. That's right, an option to come back for $5.5 million), and Manuel has impressed approximately 17 people with his development.

Oh, this could be another very long season. Life's great when you are both a Bills and a Browns fan - think this will be another season where they combine for 9-11 wins.

Hey, at least you'll have a top pick next year. Oh, wait.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Buffalo sports radio is all Kyle Orton at the moment.

Hey, at least you'll have a top pick next year. Oh, wait.
Ouch.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He'll still have it!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AB_skin_test wrote:He'll still have it!
Hooray for me!!!

And this is the best few days of the year between the Thursday opener and kickoff sunday as the season is underway and the Bills and Browns are both in first!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ndamukong Suh with Charles Barkley.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That's the cover of my 4th record, "1991 As Fuck"

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

C'mon...Pharrell? I know that Soundgarden played earlier, but couldn't they have gone with 2 Seattle Bands?

At least its a completely fantastic day, weather-wise. Couldn't be better....
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Where's Macklemore???????
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Yup, digging this NFL game, went to a CFL game last Friday and it's not the same. Sure, Ochocinco was there but he ain't the same player.

Go Vikings!
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

I hate watching Percy Harvin on another team but I like watching him beat the Packers.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I love watching Russell Wilson play. The guy just never seems to make that "big mistake". Just a solid player.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He is. I also note that what goes along with that is only two teams threw the ball fewer times last year than Seattle did. And it continued last night to be a game where he could rely heavily on a strong run game. Not faulting him for that, just noting that he has some distinct advantages in that offense - which he does run very well.