NFL Week 3

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

NFL Week 3

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 3

Post by Pruitt »

My Fantasy World is just too sweet at the moment.

Welker's back!

Ahmad Bradshaw in the 10th round!

DeAndre Hopkins!

It will all blow up in my face and soon, but these are good times indeed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is probably the week the Lions kick me in the nuts for the first time. I didn't expect to beat Carolina on the road, so the season has pretty much been about what I expected. But losing to the hated Packers at home will be the first really solid nut punch. With promises of many more to come.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Emotionally, I view the Lions as underdogs. After all, these are the Packers, with a healthy Aaron Rodgers. And the Lion's played badly in so many ways last week. Their win against the Giants in week one is easily seen as a mirage -- the Giants may be a 4 to 6 win team this year.

But if I was betting this one, I'd see it as a toss-up. I don't think the Lions are as bad as many fans seem to after the lopsided score last week. The Lions defended the run well against Carolina (absent their top RB). They moved the ball, especially in the air (until a touchdown drop and a bad interception). Take away a few mistakes, and that the game would have been close in the end (but isn't that true for most losing teams?) The Lions came out of week 2 with serious injury problems; the Packers may be worse.

So, rationally, I see it as an even game. I'd take the Lions if given any points at all. But I know that if they win, I'll experience it as a massive upset.

I don't follow betting lines. But I'm curious what you see from the ones you think are pretty solid.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DC47 wrote:Emotionally, I view the Lions as underdogs. After all, these are the Packers, with a healthy Aaron Rodgers. And the Lion's played badly in so many ways last week. Their win against the Giants in week one is easily seen as a mirage -- the Giants may be a 4 to 6 win team this year.

But if I was betting this one, I'd see it as a toss-up. I don't think the Lions are as bad as many fans seem to after the lopsided score last week. The Lions defended the run well against Carolina (absent their top RB). They moved the ball, especially in the air (until a touchdown drop and a bad interception). Take away a few mistakes, and that the game would have been close in the end (but isn't that true for most losing teams?) The Lions came out of week 2 with serious injury problems; the Packers may be worse.

So, rationally, I see it as an even game. I'd take the Lions if given any points at all. But I know that if they win, I'll experience it as a massive upset.

I don't follow betting lines. But I'm curious what you see from the ones you think are pretty solid.
Lions are -1 about everywhere here. Factor in the home team bump and that's probably about right. Frankly, if the Lions are going to be a playoff team, this is a must-win game. At home against the division favorite. A win basically counts for two wins. So I expect the Lions will fuck it up.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I bet GB +1.5 as soon as it came out, but then again, I took a bath last week sons. Also took the over...51.5 seems automatic.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote:I bet GB +1.5 as soon as it came out, but then again, I took a bath last week sons. Also took the over...51.5 seems automatic.
All over that one (the Packers that is)

My lead pipe is the Colts over the Jags (-6.5). I know, laying points on the road and all, but seriously, there are 0-2 teams and then there are 0-2 teams.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, I'm actually making bets this weekend, so any help would be appreciated. Ahem, Brian.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:Yeah, I'm actually making bets this weekend, so any help would be appreciated. Ahem, Brian.
If I could pick only winners, I wouldn't be hanging out with you guys. I'd have hookers feeding me grapes in St. Barts.

(That said, I love Georgia Southern +2.5 at South Alabama. I'm probably loading up on that one.) Also loving Wyoming -4 at home against Florida Atlantic.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Giff wrote:Yeah, I'm actually making bets this weekend, so any help would be appreciated. Ahem, Brian.
If I could pick only winners, I wouldn't be hanging out with you guys. I'd have hookers feeding me grapes in St. Barts.

(That said, I love Georgia Southern +2.5 at South Alabama. I'm probably loading up on that one.) Also loving Wyoming -4 at home against Florida Atlantic.
Sweet. Send me a text. Broke my phone and lost all my contacts. We'll be on Strip Sunday, but Monday will work better for hanging out and what not, especially if you're still down for the concert.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

New England vs Oakland, the most penalized team in the league this year against one of the least penalized team so far, as usual with this match up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote:New England vs Oakland, the most penalized team in the league this year against one of the least penalized team so far, as usual with this match up.
Just what Brady needs to get himself going. Oakland looks really bad right now. Even Charles Woodson was quoted saying, "We suck."
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

OK, this may expose how much less closely I follow football nowadays, but was anyone else surprised to hear Charles Woodson is still playing? And back with the Raiders on top of that? I was assuming his comments were made as a call-in analyst on some local radio show. Though it does make me feel better that a guy two years older than myself is still playing at the highest level at one of the more demanding positions in sports.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

are you ready for some football?
yes i'm ready for some football

Aw, fuck you Tampa Bay.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

ASS kicking.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone else see that chick grab her boyfriend's junk on national TV?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I miss the "old" TNF theme.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Jerloma wrote:Anyone else see that chick grab her boyfriend's junk on national TV?
it has arrived on the internet.
https://vine.co/v/OWdIY3YZYru" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

EdRomero wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Anyone else see that chick grab her boyfriend's junk on national TV?
Of course. I actually threw it on FB as soon as it happened too. She knew the risks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerry Glanville thinks the Falcons need to find a way to lay off here....
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote:
I saw it and proudly replayed it for my son who fell off the couch!

Awesome.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

So the NFL hires Deion to be one of the faces of the leagues in part because of his high stepping flamboyance on the field during his playing days. Then when a player imitates their paid spokesperson's signature move, the ref throws a flag.

Or maybe they hired Deion just for his erudite analysis.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Whoever Goodell's replacement is should make restoring some fun a priority. Give them 10-15 seconds after a TD to celebrate as they wish. And don't call shit like this which was clearly an homage, not showing up the other guys. Refs need to use some common sense.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote:So the NFL hires Deion to be one of the faces of the leagues in part because of his high stepping flamboyance on the field during his playing days. Then when a player imitates their paid spokesperson's signature move, the ref throws a flag.

Or maybe they hired Deion just for his erudite analysis.
Speaking of Deion - the guys is really a piece of crap. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/sport ... utiny.html
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

AB_skin_test wrote:Whoever Goodell's replacement is should make restoring some fun a priority. Give them 10-15 seconds after a TD to celebrate as they wish. And don't call shit like this which was clearly an homage, not showing up the other guys. Refs need to use some common sense.
"And Bernard Pierce scores from 3 yards out. Lets see what he does ... looks like he's walking through a door ... pretending to press a button ... is he wiping something off his face? Oh no. Cut! Cut to commercial!"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Whoever Goodell's replacement is should make restoring some fun a priority. Give them 10-15 seconds after a TD to celebrate as they wish. And don't call shit like this which was clearly an homage, not showing up the other guys. Refs need to use some common sense.
In general I agree, but it started getting out of hand. I blame Joe Horn and TO's sharpie. As a kid, I loved watching Earnest Givens, Ickey Woods and others. Deion not so much. It was fun and creative and imitated by kids everywhere. If an NFL player can't handle being highstepped on, he needs to grow up. I think taunting in someone's face should be flagged, but the endzone shouldn't be the town in Footloose! Maybe limit to 10 seconds and no props other than the ball.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote:
In general I agree, but it started getting out of hand. I blame Joe Horn and TO's sharpie. As a kid, I loved watching Earnest Givens, Ickey Woods and others. Deion not so much. It was fun and creative and imitated by kids everywhere. If an NFL player can't handle being highstepped on, he needs to grow up. I think taunting in someone's face should be flagged, but the endzone shouldn't be the town in Footloose! Maybe limit to 10 seconds and no props other than the ball.
You're going to need to explain that reference to a few people.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I thought there was no dancing in the town in Footloose.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote:I thought there was no dancing in the town in Footloose.
Bingo.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

EdRomero wrote:I thought there was no dancing in the town in Footloose.
That's the joke.
Yard of Junk
Maude Lebowski

Post by Yard of Junk »

AB_skin_test wrote:ASS kicking.
Tampa Bay needs to get out the creamsickle uniforms. I see 0-16 in their future.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Considered taking Atlanta in survivor but just didn't trust them. Now my teams will all lose.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Do the Vikings have the toughest schedule out there or am I just imagining things? After week 1 against the Rams (who were suppose to be good), it was New England, now New Orleans, next week Atlanta, after that Green Bay on Thursday, then Lions, and then those pesky Bills.

Apparently they have the 21st toughest schedule according to cbs. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... s-at-no-32 but that's from February. After two weeks of actual play, I'd move them up and anyone playing the Rams or Bucs down.

Good thing they got a win under their belt week 1, without Peterson, I'm only betting on them covering spreads not winning games.

Edit - oops, should have checked past week 7. Vikings play the Bucs week 8. so forget everything i said.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Dennis Pitta down with a non-contact injury. The cart has been summoned.

Also, the Browns had a great trick play nullified by an illegal shift penalty. Yes, it involved the Browns' second-string QB.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Stephen Tulloch just replaced Kendrys Morales on my all time "HAHAHA, YOU IDIOT!"-O-meter.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You can get your franchise moved if it gets worse in jax. I'm not even watching but 30-0 at the half.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bottles era. And in the darkest hour... What say he? I like him in preseason.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man. Raiders' game-tying touchdown called back for phantom holding call. Interception on next play.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote:Man. Raiders' game-tying touchdown called back for phantom holding call. Interception on next play.
yep. Makeup call for the previous interference call
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Man. Raiders' game-tying touchdown called back for phantom holding call. Interception on next play.
yep. Makeup call for the previous interference call
Agreed