So is this Dan Snyder's fault too?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: So is this Dan Snyder's fault too?

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here's the thing, though. So many Commanders fans were such assholes about the name... I know that's not totally fair. But, you know, there's some kind of karma going on there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 am How a disputed $55M loan plays into feds' probe of Commanders

Rooting for the FBI forensic accountants
Wonder if this is related...

Daniel Snyder’s demands anger NFL owners, renew talk of voting him out
Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder and his attorneys have demanded that fellow NFL franchise owners and the league indemnify him against future legal liability and costs if he sells the team, two people with direct knowledge of the NFL’s inner workings and the owners’ attitudes said.

Snyder’s demands, which include a threat to sue if the indemnification condition is not met, have angered some owners and renewed discussion about the possibility of taking a vote to remove him from ownership of the Commanders if he does not sell the franchise, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic and the legal threat.

“He wants indemnification if he sells,” one of those people said, adding that the owners regard the demand as “ridiculous” and “absurd” and believe Snyder should provide indemnification to the other owners for any legal claims that may arise from his and the team’s actions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:33 am
rass wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 am How a disputed $55M loan plays into feds' probe of Commanders

Rooting for the FBI forensic accountants
More like National Fraud League, amirite?

I feel sorry for Commanders fans for having that guy as the owner. Didn’t think it was possible to have a worse owner than Haslam, but here we are.
I heard about this on the ESPN Daily podcast (did not read the article) but, the taking debt without other owners being aware (and the nfl signing off) is interesting. I wonder how much ability to sue that the minority owners gave up as part of the buyout (and Fred Smith not wanting to hurt his Arthur's career as a factor).

There is all this talk of will Snyder let Bezos bid because he owns the WaPo and the WaPo has been mean to Dan. Which got me thinking what will coverage be in the Post if Bezos does win. I have not paid much attention to Amazon (or rocket company) coverage in the post.

I do know the ESPN-affiliated sports radio stations that Snyder bought (Red Zebra) were much kinder to Snyder....until he sold them to the former CBS-radio folks who just hammer away at Snyder.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Holy shit... I'm so tired of Daniel Snyder that I never read that article, until this morning.

That's some criminal ass fraud. And it's not even disputable. He took out a loan with BoA without the approval of the "minority" owners (all billionaires, btw) and lied about it. Open-->Shut

Also, hidden in that mess:
They then started looking closely into the team's finances and found Snyder was using the team as his "personal piggy bank," including charging the team $4.5 million to put its logo on his private jet, they alleged in the arbitration petition filed with the NFL.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If I’ve learned anything in my 48 years, and especially over the last 7 or so, is that the likeliest chance that a rich guy in America will be forced to deal with the consequences of his actions is when he fucks with an even richer guy in America.

So maybe this is what sinks him.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the fact that he blocked a potential new minority owner that subsequently bought a share of the Falcons is a huge red flag. He didn't want any due diligence being done.

He really is a crook. I've known this, but a lot of it just seemed petty. The stuff in the article I just read is MAJOR criminal activity. Like, go to jail level stuff. Not that he will, but he's going to have to do some serious negotiating.

Asshole.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:33 pm If I’ve learned anything in my 48 years, and especially over the last 7 or so, is that the likeliest chance that a rich guy in America will be forced to deal with the consequences of his actions is when he fucks with an even richer guy in America.

So maybe this is what sinks him.
Yup. Stealing from the vast majority below is ok but from above or the side is very not allowed.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The local sports radio station threw a party for the Snyder.Sale. Josh Harris bought everyone a beer.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... That's fucking fantastic. How long do they just run the taps???
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Interesting that Josh Harris owns the 'Ders, the Sixers, and the Devils, and fans of each of those teams likely hate the hell out of the other two.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 pm Not this time
Is 26 years now the "sell by" date for basketball arenas? Isn't the Capital One Arena still a pretty nice place?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:44 pm
Is 26 years now the "sell by" date for basketball arenas? Isn't the Capital One Arena still a pretty nice place?
Yes and No. Arena is fine but that part of the city has gone backward a bit. Abe P's building that arena there was a gift to the city. Revitalized that part of town. But COVID and such has made it a bit less safe feeling.

Apparently the deal that Leonsis has is pretty bad. Big bond payments and lease deal.
Monumental recently asked the District for $600 million in public funding to renovate and upgrade the 26-year-old Capital One Arena, which would cover the majority of an $800 million transformation. Monumental has spent nearly $160 million on renovations of Capital One Arena over the years, while the District subsidized improvements in 2007 with $50 million in tax-increment financing.
But how many f'ing mid sized concert venues does the DMV need.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:03 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:44 pm
Yes and No. Arena is fine but that part of the city has gone backward a bit. Abe P's building that arena there was a gift to the city. Revitalized that part of town. But COVID and such has made it a bit less safe feeling.

Apparently the deal that Leonsis has is pretty bad. Big bond payments and lease deal.
Monumental recently asked the District for $600 million in public funding to renovate and upgrade the 26-year-old Capital One Arena, which would cover the majority of an $800 million transformation. Monumental has spent nearly $160 million on renovations of Capital One Arena over the years, while the District subsidized improvements in 2007 with $50 million in tax-increment financing.
But how many f'ing mid sized concert venues does the DMV need.
We stayed a couple blocks away from the arena last summer, it was a really nice neighborhood. I felt safe walking around at night, even with the kids. My wife freaked out when I booked the hotel (she lived in DC 25 years ago).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

You think the area around cap 1 feels unsafe wlu? I am with Syb - I don’t feel that at all.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I walk around there late at night without thinking much about it. My office was near there for a long time and did late nights. The homeless shelters/food kitchens at 2 of the churches near there make it feel a bit less gentrified, but never felt unsafe.

So Mayor Bowser just threw a hail mary with the DC council to revitalize Capital One.

Also the Potomac Landing spot is basically right by Amazon HQ2. Formerly known as Crystal City, that area is getting fully redone because of Bezos. The residential area there was heavily immigrant (Arlandria), but that is changing quick.