TIM COUCH

Welcome to the Swamp, our famous conversation board. We talk primarily about sports but you can have your say about just about anything. Please register yourself and say hello.
AB
Sabo Sabo's Daddy

TIM COUCH

Post by AB »

OK, I admit it, I am a homer. I am from Kentucky, and I watched Couch play in high school.

I am interested in what people outside of Kentucky think about him. I am honest enough to realize he has been less than great, but the newspaper coverage around here is always Pro - Couch, Anti-Browns when it comes to anything pseudo-negative.

I was also a Browns fan before Modell's Move, so I am an interested party on both sides.

My feelings are that he needs to get out and get a fresh start, aka Jake Plummer.

Any other thoughts?

I'm gonna get banned from posting here at this rate.
Chumley
Monk

Post by Chumley »

Couch definitely needs a fresh start. I like him as a person and a player, but Holcumb really brought out the best in the team. Plus Tim and Cleveland fans have never clicked. It would be best for all parties if he could go somewhere else.

And that somewhere else should be Big D.
Serving frog since 1/3/03.

-------

"And getting mad at Pamela Anderson for being a slut is like getting mad at a Smurf for being blue. You don't marry a hamburger and throw a fit when you find out it's delicious."

--The Superficial
Williams
Philip Marlowe

Post by Williams »

Charlesworth wrote:And that somewhere else should be Big D.
If Jerry Jones had his way, Troy Aikman would be playing into his sixties.

Dallas doesn't need another young, mediocre QB. Couch needs to be a backup somewhere like Green Bay, San Fran, or Oakland, and learn to handle the stress from an established QB. Well, Gannon may be a bad example, but you get the idea.

Philly would be another nice place, only because Andy Reid has done wonders with nobodies like Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley.
Last edited by Williams on Wed May 07, 2003 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drscorp said, "space nerd wil wheaton just owned you"
jmbrown
Sherlock Holmes

couch

Post by jmbrown »

If Cleveland gets some decent talent for Couch to throw to then you would see a drastic improvement in them. Last year he throw for almost 3,000 yards while completing 61% of his passes. His top reciever had 56 cathces last year, and the Browns draft no recievers and sign none in the off season. It is not all Couch's fault.
Waylon Smithers: "Look at all you have Mr. Burns: King Arthur's Excalibur, the only existing portrait of Mark Twain in the nude, and that rare First edition of the U.S. Constitution with the word 'suckers' in it."
Chumley
Monk

Post by Chumley »

I actually think Cleveland has a lot of offensive talent. Four WRs, Kevin Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Quincy Morgan and Dre Davis all had stretches of brilliant play and their rookie back William Green looks good to me.
Serving frog since 1/3/03.

-------

"And getting mad at Pamela Anderson for being a slut is like getting mad at a Smurf for being blue. You don't marry a hamburger and throw a fit when you find out it's delicious."

--The Superficial
tennbengals

Post by tennbengals »

Line play was suspect, and the receivers, while decent, had no one who stepped up to the next level of go to threat/superstar. Maybe that was Couch's fault. Maybe not. What blame can be laid at the feet of a QB in the NFL always seems to be a chicken and egg argument. Most damning thing against Couch? What Holcomb accomplished when given a chance last year.
baltimaher
Hercule Poirot

Post by baltimaher »

First of all, the only way you get banned is by NOT posting enough. Post like a madman and tell your friends.

Secondly, Couch got a bum rap in Cleveland, and Dallas makes a LOT of sense. But what can Dallas give Cleveland that would make it worth it? There was a lot of talk about this before the draft, but all the insiders said Dallas didn't have jack to trade.

That being said, Parcells has vocally said he wants a veteran back-up (read: eventual starter), and he bemoaned the current free agent crop. So Maybe Dallas will trade some future draft picks, land Couch, and make Antonio Bryant the most popular "sleeper" in fantasy drafts.
"I rap for the ones Johnny Cash wore the black for." -- Brother Ali
AB
Sabo Sabo's Daddy

Post by AB »

Part of me still wants the Browns to trade HOLCOMB, because he's older, and five games does not a star make, considering he got injured in that span as well.

I think that both Holcomb and Couch hold the same trade value, Holcomb because of what people saw in a short time last season, and Couch because of the potential that comes with being the No 1 pick.

I do think that the Brown's receiving corps is pretty good, but not spectacular. They do need the big hoss wide receiver, who will get you 6-10 catches a game for around 100 yards. The lack of any running game until William Green came on late last season has been a bigger problem than the O-line or receivers.

BUT, Couch has to get better at avoiding the silly mistakes. He tries to force the ball into tight spots a lot, and several of his interceptions can be traced to that. Holcomb throws a better deep ball, but remember that the high praise lavished upon him was mostly due to the shootout against Kansas City(Dwayne Rudd helmet toss), which will lead to gaudy numbers, and the high scoring playoff game against Pittsburgh, both of which, incidentally, the Browns LOST. He did play well at other times, beating the BenGALS, but not substantially better than Couch.

I'm pulling a Tammy Wynette, and standing by my man. Remember, though, I'm a homer.
baltgeep
Tenspeed and Brown Shoe

Post by baltgeep »

The second the fans make you cry, your career is done with that team. Couch should be traded for some linebacker help if possible. Their D has taken many large hits that have not been filled.
"Marijuana is 10 times better for me than Paxil"

-Ricky Williams
Jell
Encyclopedia Brown

Post by Jell »

Cleveland Browns Updated: 5/6/2003
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Jamir Miller is considering retirment. The Browns are the only team that have offered him a deal, which is believed to be around $1.6 million. Miller is making a determination on whether that is enough incentive to continue playing.

ENOUGH F_ING INCENTIVE

Holy shizzle my nizzles. Having a chance to play for a playoff team in a city that loves their football team for ONLY 1.6 million. Damn, I'd hate to have to make decisions like that. Poor Jamir!!!
"Live fast, play hard, and throw deep"
Williams
Philip Marlowe

Post by Williams »

aaronbond wrote:Part of me still wants the Browns to trade HOLCOMB, because he's older, and five games does not a star make, considering he got injured in that span as well.
It's the Tom Brady/Trent-Green-in-Washington Factor. Holcomb has done nothing to screw things up, and has actually helped win games, despite anything that Couch has done. Once Holcomb has two bad games in a row, people will want Couch back. It's just that now, he hasn't screwed up, and Couch has. And Holcomb hasn't cried because of the Cleveland fans either.
drscorp said, "space nerd wil wheaton just owned you"
AB
Sabo Sabo's Daddy

Post by AB »

Ah, the good old days when my love affair with Tim Couch didn't inspire off color jokes
Nothing to see here.
slavc
Encyclopedia Brown

Post by slavc »

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plainde ... 298650.xml

He was asked Monday if he'd consider re-signing former Browns starter Tim Couch, who is out of football while recovering from tendinitis in his right shoulder and elbow.

"I don't know," Robiskie said. "Tim Couch coming in with three weeks left? I don't know where Tim is as far as his injury. I don't know where Tim Couch is as far as the Browns. Nate has been here. I don't know if Timmy has thrown a ball in the last month. That would be a tough question to answer."

He said the personnel department will research Couch and other available quarterbacks.

"If they know that Tim has been throwing and is in shape and wouldn't mind, it'll come up in discussions," Robiskie said.
"My avatar shall be a picture of the model assigned to me based on my number of posts." - Plato [EDIT: Instead, I'll cover my breasts in protest of the models being done away with for Canadians.]
Murph
V.I Warshawski

Post by Murph »

The funniest part of the article is Robiske talking like he has some say in who they sign for the rest of this year or who is coming back for next year. He has 3 games left in his coaching career with the Browns
AB
Sabo Sabo's Daddy

Post by AB »

Couch's release had more to do with Davis than anything. Davis botched the QB situation so bad, it was beyond repair. Still is.

I can't see Couch going back though, the fans couldn't take it.

That is, unless he won games, which is something no other QB has done in CLeveland since the return. Unfortunately, it appears that he is about the same as Kurt Warner (without the MVPS and the SuperBowl) becuase he needs time to operate. No time, then you're in trouble.

At UK, everything was tailored to 1-3 step drops, so time was less of an issue. Never made the adjustment.
Nothing to see here.