Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by vandwagon »

Watched this week's episode last night. Why is Dany so set on freeing slaves whenever she comes across them? Is there a particular reason for it in her past or just what she saw in Astapor? Looking at the map on HBO.com, I wouldn't want to live in Meereen if Dany lays waste to Yunkai.

I haven't read the books and will likely wait until the show is over to read them if I do.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

elflaco wrote:well, their sigul is the flayed man.... the books aren't as descriptive on the process, only the results. its pretty bad.
Yeah, at least the books don't drag you through the process.

For those who haven't read them, Theon really isn't in this part of the story in the books. Instead, he pops up again later, after all of this torturing etc. has happened.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I've read that they have to keep filming scenes with Theon, Bran, Stannis, etc eventhough nothing is really happening with their characters (in the books) in order to prevent losing them to other films/shows.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

vandwagon wrote:Watched this week's episode last night. Why is Dany so set on freeing slaves whenever she comes across them? Is there a particular reason for it in her past or just what she saw in Astapor? Looking at the map on HBO.com, I wouldn't want to live in Meereen if Dany lays waste to Yunkai.

I haven't read the books and will likely wait until the show is over to read them if I do.
I think its just that she's really not down with slavery.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

tennbengal wrote:
vandwagon wrote:Watched this week's episode last night. Why is Dany so set on freeing slaves whenever she comes across them? Is there a particular reason for it in her past or just what she saw in Astapor? Looking at the map on HBO.com, I wouldn't want to live in Meereen if Dany lays waste to Yunkai.

I get that, but I figured there was something I was missing. Maybe because slavey is outlawed in Westeros. It is, right?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I actually don't know. It apparently doesn't happen in Westeros* like it does in the lands where she is currently exiled.

*Sets aside philosophical discussions about how "free" employees in Littlefinger's brothel are...
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Buying and selling slaves is illegal in Westeros, which is why Jorah Mormont was exiled. I think keeping slaves is also illegal, but there is little difference between having slaves and servants.

Also, one of the reasons why Dany gave the unsullied their freedom is because no one in Westeros would respect or support her if she waged a war with slave soldiers.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:

I think Dany is the most morally upstanding character in the books. Or the only one, really. Even No-Head-Ned brought home a bastard. So it's not surprising that she is so set against slavery, especially the murderous way it was being practiced in those cities.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Naked Khaleesi! Awkward wedding! Samwell Tarly killing a white walker! And there was no Theon stuff or the Jon Snow/Ygritte escapades!

Finally an episode better than just decent. Outside of there not being a catch up for Jamie/Brienne, this episode had a scene in everything I wanted to see. Awesome stuff.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:Naked Khaleesi! Awkward wedding! Samwell Tarly killing a white walker! And there was no Theon stuff or the Jon Snow/Ygritte escapades!

Finally an episode better than just decent. Outside of there not being a catch up for Jamie/Brienne, this episode had a scene in everything I wanted to see. Awesome stuff.
Don't forget naked Melisandre, too.

Great episode all around.

I was thinking they might even give us naked Sansa, but when they brought out that the character was only 14, that put the kibosh on that.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I was thinking they might even give us naked Sansa, but when they brought out that the character was only 14, that put the kibosh on that.
Sophie Turner (who plays Sansa) is 17. So that's what put the kibosh on it. Not her character being 14.

Because Emilia Clarke (who plays Daenerys) is 26. And we've seen her naked numerous times. Her character is a year or 2 older than Sansa in the books.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

HDO
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I loved yesterday's episode.

Tyrion piss drunk at his wedding was hilarious.

Joff walking Sansa down the aisle was disgusting (then threatening to rape her later on).

Cersei being a huge bitch.

Unabashed nudity.

Arya finally going back to her folks.

Waiting two weeks for the next episode is going to suuuck.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

So the guy that cut the heads off the mercenary captains and pledged his devotion to Dany - is he Dothraki? Is that purely a Dothraki weapon that he pulled out?
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

He (Daario) is from Tyrosh, which is one of the free cities in Essos.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Keg wrote:He (Daario) is from Tyrosh, which is one of the free cities in Essos.
Thanks, Keg. When I saw the sword, I thought of the Dothraki who carried similar weapons.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Keg wrote:Waiting two weeks for the next episode is going to suuuck.
I don't want to say too much (and I'm guessing based on the book because I haven't been watching), but I would very much recommend watching tonight's episode live. In fact, just stay off the internet for the rest of the evening until 10PM (EST) or so.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

On that note--enjoy the last hour of a functioning internet, everyone.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And the internet melts down now.

Well done to the prodcuers. As a book reader, they handled that pretty damn well.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

And boom goes the dynamite.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

So that was insane. As a non book reader, that took me totally by surprise.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Awesome. I've never been so excited for an episode of a show I don't watch.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

This is the first time I've ever typed this, but ... OMFG AYFK WTF?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Mad Men was pretty good, too.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

garyclark wrote:This is the first time I've ever typed this, but ... OMFG AYFK WTF?
When that happened in the book, I had to put the book down for awhile.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Holy Shit Snacks....that was nutty...

Why didn't Jon Snow recognize Summer and ShaggyDog when they attacked the Wildlings?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AussieDave wrote:Holy Shit Snacks....that was nutty...

Why didn't Jon Snow recognize Summer and ShaggyDog when they attacked the Wildlings?
He was kinda busy himself, probably too busy to reflect, for one. For another, what kind of wtf thoughts would have to go through his head to put together just who those dogs were and what it might mean about who was close by. Doesn't he believe Bran and Rickon dead? No reasons to put 2 and 2 together at that point for him.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

tennbengal wrote:

He was kinda busy himself, probably too busy to reflect, for one. For another, what kind of wtf thoughts would have to go through his head to put together just who those dogs were and what it might mean about who was close by. Doesn't he believe Bran and Rickon dead? No reasons to put 2 and 2 together at that point for him.
I wondered the same thing, AussieDave. I don't recall if Jon had been told of Winterfell's capture, I'm not sure how he would have heard. By the way, the whole Night's Watch storyline has gone cold since the mayhem a few episodes ago. I assume that'll be taken care of next week. I hope at least.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I screamed "WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?" so loud last night, I scared the ever loving shit out of my dog.

Holy fucking shitballs. Loved the back-2-back necks, well played GoT.
tennbengal wrote:

wrt Bran & Rickon, as usual, John Snow knows nothing. I'd have thought he'd recognize the wolves as well and meet up with the kids, but we'll see where this goes. I loved the dude jumping into the eagle as he was dying. Cool move.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I honestly don't mean to come off like a hipster douche right now but, I must have been the only watcher expecting that outcome. I read Andy Greenwald's reviews and listen to his podcast with Chris Ryan. He and Chris are constantly poking at how horrible a general Robb Stark was plus we've already had a link describing it in detail as such. His once detained mother turned adviser telling him to go all in was the foreshadow because Wait, Caitlyn said yes? Yup. He's fucked. And then once Lord Edmure and his new bride were out of the room and the door was locked behind them, it was a wrap. My hair stood up on my neck. In fact it did just now because of the explicit brutality. So maybe that was so shocking. It reminded me of Reservoir Dogs. Except only certain people are dead instead of the entire cast.

Plus there was the simple aspect of "wait 2 weeks for the 9th episode." The last 2 episode 9s were "Holy Shit" moments (Eddard losing his head & Blackwater), so yea. If I read the book I probably would have been shellshocked.

Also, poor Arya.

And the best line of the episode: You know all that from staring at marks on paper? ... You're, like, a wizard!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

ZMan wrote:I screamed "WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?" so loud last night, I scared the ever loving shit out of my dog.

Holy fucking shitballs. Loved the back-2-back necks, well played GoT.
tennbengal wrote:

wrt Bran & Rickon, as usual, John Snow knows nothing. I'd have thought he'd recognize the wolves as well and meet up with the kids, but we'll see where this goes. I loved the dude jumping into the eagle as he was dying. Cool move.
He knows nothing? In the books, he was told of the fall of Winterfell, and struggled against the need to go home, I think, and abandon his post. I recall scenes discussing night's watc duty vs. loyalty with the Night Watch maester in the books, I am probably mixing that up with the TV narrative.
Last edited by tennbengal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

But, there's this.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That headline is "Real or Onion" worthy.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

I'm really curious if the aftermath of the RW happens the same as the book.

Those who have read the books (I haven't, but couldn't resist reading up on the RW and most of the series regardless) know what I'm talking about.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

vandwagon wrote:So that was insane. As a non book reader, that took me totally by surprise.
This. My friend had read the books and was good not to spoil things. But what a fuck-crazy episode
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Indeed. Indeed. The cost of the fake blood alone staggers me.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:I honestly don't mean to come off like a hipster douche right now but, I must have been the only watcher expecting that outcome. I read Andy Greenwald's reviews and listen to his podcast with Chris Ryan. He and Chris are constantly poking at how horrible a general Robb Stark was plus we've already had a link describing it in detail as such. His once detained mother turned adviser telling him to go all in was the foreshadow because Wait, Caitlyn said yes? Yup. He's fucked. And then once Lord Edmure and his new bride were out of the room and the door was locked behind them, it was a wrap. My hair stood up on my neck. In fact it did just now because of the explicit brutality. So maybe that was so shocking. It reminded me of Reservoir Dogs. Except only certain people are dead instead of the entire cast.
So did Edmure "get got" as well?

I should have known that as soon as they started talking about the Unborn Child as the next Ned Stark that it was doomed. But wow....the multiple stabs in the pregnant belly were brutal.

I'm fairly amazed that I managed to not have that "spoiled". I tend to read the reviews on both the AV Club and Alan Sepinwall's site after every episode, and I had no idea what was coming.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

I feel like I'm the only person on earth not watching this show.

Hodor! (did I do that right?)
Popin' ain't easy