Copa America

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Copa America

Post by brian »

Would have been 10-0 if not for Klinsmann.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Probably. He's fucking terrible.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

It is known
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, good for the win, was thrilled with the outcome, but in no way does it make me comfortable with Klinsman or the direction of the US National program at this point.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Must win and they get a dominating result that proves they are still a leg up on CONCACAF competition for world cup spots. Guy would have got the door today had it been 0-4. Even if they get "embarrassed" (0-2) against Paraguay you need to ride him through qualifying. Just not reasonable to expect consistent points against teams that are more talented or even away games against lesser comp. The german club pipeline seems real and the depth and quality of players continues to get better. Im convinced.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote:Also, good for the win, was thrilled with the outcome, but in no way does it make me comfortable with Klinsman or the direction of the US National program at this point.
Of course not.

One of those things where you wonder if losing last night is better in the long term
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, I thought obstruction (and off-ball screens too) was illegal when I played, but I see it a lot at the pro level. I guess they changed that? Screens are still illegal though. Might be cool if they changed that though. Soccer could still use a few more offensive flourishes and that might be a useful and easy one.

Just catching up and wanted to say: 1) On cornerkicks, it's pretty routine for guys to use their own players to try and set up de facto screens. One of the reasons there's so much clutching and grabbing is to prevent that kind of separation that allows the offensive player to basically get lost in a pile. 2) Some people see a defender blocking off an attacker, shepherding a ball out of bounds and incorrectly think that is obstruction. As long as the player is within a reasonable distance from the ball (he could theoretically touch the ball if he wanted to) it's not obstruction. That said, I do think defenders get away with obstruction a bit. But running around the ball and blocking a guy off isn't in and of itself obstruction.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Also, good for the win, was thrilled with the outcome, but in no way does it make me comfortable with Klinsman or the direction of the US National program at this point.
Of course not.

One of those things where you wonder if losing last night is better in the long term

*Pulls up chair... taps his pipe... adjusts his spectacle*

There comes a point in every USMNT coach where folks are so frustrated and befuddled by the results and perceived lack of progress where a segment of the fanbase is at this crossroads. You don't want your team embarrassed, but when they save the coaches bacon, you are left with mixed feelings.

And I'm not saying we're headed for this, but those that have been following this team for awhile might have a weird sense of deja vu... Remember when the US scrapped it's way to a remarkable semi-final appearance at the 1995 Copa? Remember how that team, with raised expectations, seemed to have trouble finding an identity in the years that followed? How inconsistent they played and how the WCQ that cycle was way more dramatic than it needed to be? And how the coach seemed to be overly enamored with foreign players (David Regis ring a bell?)

I remember when I hit a point with Sampson where I lost faith and had a lot of trouble watching USMNT without a fairly mixed mindset. It was when we went down to Costa Rica, played a jacked up formation which I believe included Richie Williams in the midfield and we lost 3-2. I'd just grown really tired of Sampson's formations, his lineup choices and the really spotty play of the team. Then we went to France and that shit happened.

I'm not there yet with Klinsmann, but I'm extremely close.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Let me also say one other thing: Fox's coverage is PISSING ME OFF.

They routinely miss game action with tight shots of coaches, players, and fans. And even when they are pointing their cameras at the game, they mix in tons of tight shots, quite often with players not even on the ball.

It's fucking bizarre and it's fucking infuriating. I've never felt compelled to write to a network before, but this shit has to stop. Use your tight shots for replays and while the ball is out of bounds are there is a stoppage. We're missing probably 10-15 percent of the games, where it should be practically zero.

Can you imagine how batshit insane people would go if all people saw on a particular play from scrimmage was a tight shot of the QB and then switch to the wide angle while the refs marked the result of the play? That shit is happening over and over and over again. I just so happened to reach a boiling point last night because I actually gave a shit about the result.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, we damn near missed a goal by Zardes pretty early on when they did that. Why on earth would you zoom in on a player who has the ball in the box? You KNOW he's about to shoot!
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Let me also say one other thing: Fox's coverage is PISSING ME OFF.

They routinely miss game action with tight shots of coaches, players, and fans. And even when they are pointing their cameras at the game, they mix in tons of tight shots, quite often with players not even on the ball.

It's fucking bizarre and it's fucking infuriating. I've never felt compelled to write to a network before, but this shit has to stop. Use your tight shots for replays and while the ball is out of bounds are there is a stoppage. We're missing probably 10-15 percent of the games, where it should be practically zero.

Can you imagine how batshit insane people would go if all people saw on a particular play from scrimmage was a tight shot of the QB and then switch to the wide angle while the refs marked the result of the play? That shit is happening over and over and over again. I just so happened to reach a boiling point last night because I actually gave a shit about the result.
Someone tweeted a similar complaint to Rob Stone, and I think his response was that the video feed was the international feed, and not Fox. I agree with you 100%. Whoever is producing the games is getting way too cute for my taste.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Let me also say one other thing: Fox's coverage is PISSING ME OFF.

Someone tweeted a similar complaint to Rob Stone, and I think his response was that the video feed was the international feed, and not Fox. I agree with you 100%. Whoever is producing the games is getting way too cute for my taste.

I find it really hard to believe someone with knowledge of the sport is sending that out as the international feed. I'm not trying to say Stone is misinformed, but I have an EXTREMELY difficult time believing the international feed would burn 10 seconds on 3 USWNT players that aren't Alex Morgan Sidney Leroux and Hope Solo. (Don't get me wrong, Press and Johnston are certified hotties and I wasn't minding it.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, we damn near missed a goal by Zardes pretty early on when they did that. Why on earth would you zoom in on a player who has the ball in the box? You KNOW he's about to shoot!
They are shooting like they shoot the NFL, NBA and college basketball. They focus heavily on tight shots of the coaches, the more ornately dressed fans, and then key players. And, again, a lot of that is fine. But they are acting like there are lulls in play where it's OK to not show the live play and.. No. Just, not ever. I've never really seen anything quite like it.

So, again, if I'm being told this is being directed/produced by an entity that knows the game... I'm just not buying that.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

the Uni* (mas?vision?whatever) video feed is pretty good. no complaints.
the announcers can be a bit jarring if you speak the language.. but heck, i'll watch a game regardless of the announcer's langueage as long as they show the game and keep away from the coaches, close ups or stand (unless the brazilian girls are out, then its ok)
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I suspect that outside of the US and Mex games they are calling the games in a booth off-site. Last night in the Col-Par match there were two goals disallowed due to offside calls that the announcers didn't recognize until the video showed the players not celebrating or the flag up. If you are at the stadium, it is a quick call but not so last night. I'm used to it with BeIn but at least they admit it. If I'm wrong I apologize but if that's what they are doing, shame on FOX for not sending announcers on-site in our own country. If those guys last night were on-site then at the very least they were calling the game off the monitor.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rams Fanny wrote:I suspect that outside of the US and Mex games they are calling the games in a booth off-site. Last night in the Col-Par match there were two goals disallowed due to offside calls that the announcers didn't recognize until the video showed the players not celebrating or the flag up. If you are at the stadium, it is a quick call but not so last night. I'm used to it with BeIn but at least they admit it. If I'm wrong I apologize but if that's what they are doing, shame on FOX for not sending announcers on-site in our own country. If those guys last night were on-site then at the very least they were calling the game off the monitor.
Not sure about the announcers. I got the feeling from Stone's tweet that the video feed was from the tournament or their vendor, and not Fox.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, we damn near missed a goal by Zardes
Zardes misses goals by Zardes all the time, so it's only fair that we miss some, too.

I believe the World Feed explanation. That is really common in soccer tournaments and WC qualifiers. I'd bet FIFA, the Confederations and home team federations for qualifiers sell the rights to film separately from the rights to broadcast, then the filmers sell the rights to the video. The failures to cut back to action were the worst I can remember. Not even interesting shots, just close ups of Jurgen licking the corners of him mouth. I would be extremely surprised if the announcers for the Colombia game were at the stadium. Just the sound mix between the announcers and the stadium had me thinking that, then the confusion over what happened until the replay was shown sealed it. That always bothers me, which turns me off to any game on BeIn Sports. I don't know how to describe it, but the sound is just different, and I can't help picturing Ray Hudson and the fat guy sitting at the anchor desk calling the game.

The most interesting thing to me about the Costa Rica game is that the US was forced to go completely off game plan. I guarantee Jurgen did not plan on playing balls out fast tempo, conceding possession and striking on the counter. CR forced that on the US by taking the game to the US from the opening kick. It took 7 or so minutes for the US to adjust, and in the end I think it worked much better with the personnel on the field. It allowed Yedlin and Johnson to burn up the flanks, rather than slowly move up into the play while we slowly passed the ball around.

Zardes is frustrating as fuck near the goal. He works hard and I want to like him, but his first and second touch are stone-footed, and his finishing isn't good. He looked great tracking back, but that's not the role for a 4-3-3 forward. I can't understand why Jurgen loves him so much. Jones was a fucking beast out there. Unreal how fast he still is, and how hard he plays at 34. He and Dempsey justified their inclusion, but Beckerman and Wondo have no business being in this squad.

Colombia was unreal the first half. So much fun to watch, and they looked miles better than they did against the US. Maybe the US did well to slow them down, but I'd say Colombia just came out fired up. Not sure what happened to them in the second half, though. We are in pretty good shape, though.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The audio has been ahead of the video a few times as well during Copa.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

My god, someone is making Suarez look like a sympathetic figure.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That ending was the first time I really missed Gus on the soccer mic.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

The Sybian wrote:
Zardes misses goals by Zardes all the time, so it's only fair that we miss some, too.
This thread was the first thing I though of when I saw this on Deadspin this morning.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/this-gyasi ... 1781665848
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

vandwagon wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
This thread was the first thing I though of when I saw this on Deadspin this morning.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/this-gyasi ... 1781665848
"no one is better at turning a bad first touch into an assist than him"

Truth.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Anyone else watching Chile-Bolivia? 1-1, shit has been wild in the second half, now a shady hand ball in the box nine minutes into injury time, Chile penalty kick.

eta: Vidal converts the penalty. Bolivia immediately attacks, gets off a beauty that missed by a foot wide.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

John Brooks has been a man back there. So much better than our central d has been in recent years.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

These set pieces are frightening. Paraguay has had like 70 of them, and Bradley's look like they are designed to start the counter.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

for fucks sake

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't imagine being in Yedlin's head right now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

We're going to lose this game because of injury time added on because of the fucking ref's own injury.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex wrote:We're going to lose this game because of injury time added on because of the fucking ref's own injury.
buy
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Kick save, and a beaut. Times two.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Beckerman with a top-10 all time USMNT goal there would have been something.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

John Brooks with one of the best games a usmnt player has had in a long time. Guzan was pretty awesome as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A really fine game for Guzan, he became a US keeper tonight.

Also, this:

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

By the way, somebody is 4-4 on his round robin so far today
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A United States team with a beast at center back for the next ten years would be something I could support.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The game that will decide whether we die on the vine against Brazil or maybe make a run is on a channel that is not available to subscribers to the #1 cable provider. Always one step forward, one step back.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Oh yeah, thank god for Univision. Ticos!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This game is batshit!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:John Brooks with one of the best games a usmnt player has had in a long time.
That was a sexual performance. Stopping the 3 on 1 was as close as you'll get to an insane crossover moment.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote:
Shirley wrote:John Brooks with one of the best games a usmnt player has had in a long time.
That was a sexual performance. Stopping the 3 on 1 was as close as you'll get to an insane crossover moment.
That tackle was simply beautiful. It would have been a beautiful tackle at any point on the field, but in the box, defending a 3-on-1 in a must win? Incredible. Probably the best play for the us since Donovan's goal against Algeria.
Totally Kafkaesque