2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote:Maybe the party will realize that humanoids like Rubio, Cruz and Carson are what made Trump look so appealing to a lot of people in the first place.
Haaaaaaaa hahaha haaaaaaaa haha.

Of all the jokes you've told on this board, that's the best one.

You should be a writer.

(No disrespect intended by that last comment, btw.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Top Aide: Trump Doesn’t Need To Know What’s Going On To Make Decisions
“The good thing is, we have a candidate who doesn’t need to figure out what’s going on in order to say what he wants to do,” campaign chair Paul Manafort said in a Sunday appearance on “Meet the Press.”
Wait....what???
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The good thing about our quarterback is that he doesn't need to study film or read the defense to know where he wants to zip in a pass.

Yeah, doesn't really sound right outside of running for US President.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sometimes I think the name of this thread should be, "What did Trump do or say, NOW?"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:Sometimes I think the name of this thread should be, "What did Trump do or say, NOW?"
Then you'll love this one. He apparently is soliciting donations from Scottish and Icelandic MPs in what is a pretty brazen and frankly, strange violation of federal election laws.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Sometimes I think the name of this thread should be, "What did Trump do or say, NOW?"
Then you'll love this one. He apparently is soliciting donations from Scottish and Icelandic MPs in what is a pretty brazen and frankly, strange violation of federal election laws.
This is the kind of outside-the-box thinking we need from the POTUS. No games!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Excellent piece. Best analysis of the Trump phenomenon that I've read.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Love the billboard the Freedom From Religion Foundation bought to display outside of the Republican Convention.

The full quote is brilliant, especially in light of Trump's calls to ban all "Mooselums." Too bad the quote is too long to post, as I'm sure the Reagan worshippers will tell themselves the quote is taken out of context.

RINO Reagan wrote:“We in the United States, above all, must remember that lesson, for we were founded as a nation of openness to people of all beliefs,” Reagan said. “And so we must remain. Our very unity has been strengthened by our pluralism. We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate. All are free to believe or not believe, all are free to practice a faith or not, and those who believe are free, and should be free, to speak of and act on their belief.”
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

sancarlos wrote:
I think the biggest reason why it is less likely to happen here is the diversity of the voters of the US versus the countries the author cites. A diversity that continues to grow rapidly. Any America B candidate relying on heavy handed xenophobia or regressive views on women's issues is going to have a hard time in the US. I'm not sure there is a identifiable voting bloc to bring about a neo-fascist president.

I hope I'm right.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

vandwagon wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
I think the biggest reason why it is less likely to happen here is the diversity of the voters of the US versus the countries the author cites. A diversity that continues to grow rapidly. Any America B candidate relying on heavy handed xenophobia or regressive views on women's issues is going to have a hard time in the US. I'm not sure there is a identifiable voting bloc to bring about a neo-fascist president.

I hope I'm right.
You're probably right. But what worries me (not so much about this election but about 2020), is that Hillary has shown herself to be remarkably unwilling (or unable) to address the types of genuine economic anxieties addressed in that piece. I mean, her campaign's response to the populist critiques raised by Sanders was to blather on about "Bernie Bros." (Reporters have acknowledged that Clinton staffers specifically pitched "Bernie Bro" stories to them so it's pretty clear that all that bullshit was a coordinated effort by her campaign.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I agree that solutions to income inequality need to come from the left and the right. But if we're going to be "blaming" people, I think Hillary would be pretty far down the list for any reasonable person. I think she needs to speak to the problem more and make it a focus of the campaign this year and in her administration. And flay the GOP for what I'm sure will be their unwillingness to participate in that process.

The biggest problem, frankly, is that I don't think enough people in this country actually think it IS a problem. And that goes for both sides of the political aisle. If they don't realize it now, they're going to learn it soon enough. I think that was the main point of the article.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Newest one of these, which you can download or listen to on the page there was quite interesting regarding the candidates at this time in relation to Brexit. YMMV, but I like the way Carlin tends to analyze from neither side of the spectrum and his views are in a lot of ways in line with mine (not all but many). Not a bad 45 minute listen though.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote:Newest one of these, which you can download or listen to on the page there was quite interesting regarding the candidates at this time in relation to Brexit. YMMV, but I like the way Carlin tends to analyze from neither side of the spectrum and his views are in a lot of ways in line with mine (not all but many). Not a bad 45 minute listen though.
http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-h ... ding-page/

Should probably post the link...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I enjoyed that pod episode.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:
Well, since back last year I said the same thing the headline says, yeah. Then again, not an original thought:

Looking forward to the Carlin pod.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's a great book. And it was the inspiration for my "We are all Doremus Jessup" sig line for so long.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This Republican Convention is going to be totally awesome! And The Donald is completely on top of it!
At one point, two aides confirmed, Mr. Trump was not even aware that the event had to be held in Cleveland, a decision made almost two years ago by the Republican National Committee.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

FBI announces no charges against Clinton. The right is going to have to find another witch hunt/wet dream before November.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:FBI announces no charges against Clinton. The right is going to have to find another witch hunt/wet dream before November.
Well, they're certainly still banging the Benghazi drum. The NRA's PAC is running the same anti-Hillary TV ad in Ohio over and over. It's the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth all over again.

Come on, Sweet Meteor of Death! Come save us from ourselves!
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Officially reconsidering my vote.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nothing wrong with "changes in latitude, changes in attitude."
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"why don't we get drunk and screw"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
The next line of that lyric is the one that Trump voters don't want to believe.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On the one hand, I'm really mad because if I did what she did as a member of the military my career is over.

I was a security manager at my previous assignment and my god the amount of bullshit I'd have to deal with if someone even printed an unclassified document but forgot to remove the "confidential" or "secret" stamp and transmitted it via an unclassified network.

The individual committing the infraction would get their computer confiscated and scanned, lose rights until they reaccomplished training (usually computer-based because the military loves a good conundrum/catch 22), and they'd get paperwork from the commander. Plus the added bonus of being made fun of by everyone for being dumb in the first place. Oh, and all individuals that received said transmitted document? In the same boat. Large email chains with 30+ people affected? They're all fucked. Sorry. OPSEC, mother fucker!

But then you have this and nada.

On the other hand, I'm going to love the shitfit from the right. Between this and Benghazi, their Hillary-For-Prison wet dram has dried up. LOL @ the GOP.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it was dumb (her actions and the GOP witch hunt), but I have a little more sympathy when you factor in that the whole reason for the email server in the first place is she didn't feel confident her personal emails would be safe on government servers because of 25+ years of dirty tricks and scandalmongering by the right.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:I think it was dumb (her actions and the GOP witch hunt), but I have a little more sympathy when you factor in that the whole reason for the email server in the first place is she didn't feel confident her personal emails would be safe on government servers because of 25+ years of dirty tricks and scandalmongering by the right.
As you note, she may have had reasonable motives, but Hillary has a knack for being a bit tone deaf for how things will appear for her, publicly. Take for example the most recent kerfuffle over Bill meeting with attorney general Loretta Lynch. Sure, it is possible and probably likely that the meeting was innocent. But, jeebus you have to be smart enough to know how it looks for your husband, the former president, to be initiating a meeting with Lynch, right as she works on the investigation. For people of their experience, that is just dumb PR.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Duffel Blog nails it: (military version of The Onion.)

New DOD Regulations Confirm That OPSEC Doesn’t Apply To Everyone

Missed this article in January.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's not over yet since the convention is yet to come, but it's still mystifying to me how the Republicans couldn't have nominated an empty suit -- any empty suit basically -- and they would have won this election in a walk. They literally nominated one of the two or three people in their party that Hillary will have no trouble beating (Cruz may have well have been one of the others ironically enough).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:I think it was dumb (her actions and the GOP witch hunt), but I have a little more sympathy when you factor in that the whole reason for the email server in the first place is she didn't feel confident her personal emails would be safe on government servers because of 25+ years of dirty tricks and scandalmongering by the right.
Sorry, this is horrible bullshit. She was coronated as this supreme politician once she was the presumptive nominee. So if this was her reasoning, she's even more of a godawful pantsuit than she already is. You want to shit on Bernie Bros to your degree, but yet make excuses when this happens to your candidate? Come the fuck on. My career would be over if I did this.

(Oh, and how do you feel about Tom Brady's cell phone now? Yes, I did just go there. Same principle. Same perceived dirty tricks.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:
The individual committing the infraction would get their computer confiscated and scanned, lose rights until they reaccomplished training (usually computer-based because the military loves a good conundrum/catch 22), and they'd get paperwork from the commander. Plus the added bonus of being made fun of by everyone for being dumb in the first place. Oh, and all individuals that received said transmitted document? In the same boat.
I totally get your point, but if you did what she did, there wouldn't have been an enormous FBI investigation, personal involvement of the Attorney General and years of constant press. She got plenty made fun of for being dumb, her servers picked clean to find deleted data and whatever else. You can't punish the Secretary of State the way you can an enlisted man. Just like an office grunt would go through similar bullshit, while the COO would get off with just embarrassment so long as nothing intentional was done.

As for the GOP witch hunt, it gets ratcheted up now. Crooked Hillary is so evil and so Washington establishment, she can get away with this!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

If the choices were between reinstating Brady and putting a clown shoes bigot in charge of our military, I would have supported Brady's position a lot more.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Then literally what you're saying is that she's above law or at the very least has her own level of rules.

And it's fucking bullshit. There's no mincing this for me. I can't even scratch near the surface of what she did without seriously crippling or destroying my career. Shit, I get on a commander's bad side and my career is currently plateaued.

What this says is "possessing classified material outside of classified channels is completely subjective based on who you are and really how severe said classified is."

Where I'd get fucked over for simply possessing it, she gets off completely because, well, the classified info possessed wasn't that big a deal.

I choose her over Trump any fucking day, but for fuck's sake, she knows she's bulletproof. Like she should give a fuck that the GOP would use anything against her.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Good ole Jeff, Used to live down the (dirt) road from my aunt and uncle in East Montpelier in the 70s.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I refused to be outraged or even bothered by any of this...HRC's emails, Trump, system is rigged (which all sides seem to claim now), etc. My response is always the same...so what? How is this any different over the past 100 years? At best every "scandal" is negligence; at worst they are conspiracy. Tell me how that's news? The only difference now is these campaigns happen in the age of 24 hour sports radio tv news for the old people and social media for the youngin's. We all go to our corners and point fingers saying it's the other guy.

The real question is what are We The People going to do about it? Trump isn't the problem, HRC isn't; the problem is us. Until we actually do something constructive; vote people out, etc. things will only get perceived as worse.

Regarding today, once again the tale as old as time rears its ugly head...it's never the crime; it's the cover up. If HRC had just come out and said sorry I f'd up this would have gone away a long time ago.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?