Fuck Jeeves - I Want to Get Run Over Like Steve

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Fuck Jeeves - I Want to Get Run Over Like Steve

Post by brian »

So I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a road bike to augment my running with some cycling. But I have absolutely no idea where to start as far as what I want. I can share the following:

1) It'll be used solely on the roads/bike trails (paved) in an extremely urban setting for the most part. There are some rides out by national parks and whatnot, but it'll mostly be taken around town. Fortunately we do have a really good citywide network of dedicated bike lanes.

2) I'm looking to spend about $1,000. Less than that is OK, but I'll be cool up to about a grand.

3) Name brand stuff matters not to me. I'm just looking for something durable, dependable and comfortable.

I see REI has some 2012 closeouts still available (like this one) but I'm not sure if that's a great deal, ripoff or what. Any opinions?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
testuser2
Brandt

Re: Fuck Jeeves - I Want to Get Run Over Like Steve

Post by testuser2 »

I really enjoy my cross bike. I needed something to take me around campus as well as a sometimes commuter bike. I got one of these http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 507/55857/ I payed around $800 for it as a year end close-out special.

I'd recommend going to a local bike shop. Tell them what you want to do and your price range. You really need to try it out before you buy. The bike shop will find something that fits your frame. Plus they often do free tune-ups.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Niiiice.

FWIW, I may end up getting run over like Steve, too. I finally bought a road bike again this month, after doing without for three and a half years. And I have to say, it feels awesome to be riding again.

But for your bike, I think your best bet would be to go to REI. That closeout does not appear to be a ripoff. From what I have heard, the "Sora" components are not the best, but for the kind of riding you are talking about, I would bet they would do just fine.

If you are talking about bike lanes and urban streets, though I'm not sure how great of a workout you can get. Dedicated bike lanes tend to be pretty slow because you have a lot of kids and dogwalkers on them. Theyr'e not really made for a steady aerobic workout. And if you have a stop light every couple of blocks, that tends to be inefficient, too.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay here you go
1.) Fit on a bike is important. Get on it and ride it before you buy it. Road bikes come in geometries. Race bikes are more aggressive than a comfort or touring, etc. They are all road bikes.
2.) Don't buy a hybrid, don't buy a single speed. You don't need shocks, you don't need a cyclocross bike, you don't need disc brakes.
3.) Cost is going to come from the following
----Bike Frame Material (Carbon fiber, Aluminum, Steel. Some will do Carbon Fiber for the fork and Aluminum
4.) The Components all range. I included the Hierachy. In your price range you are going to rock Shimano (Campagnolo is Italian for expensive). That is a bit dated as you may come across a company called SRAM and they have a higher end Shimano electric group now.
5.) Assume you are going to spend another $100 to $200 on pedals and shoes (you want decent shoes and clips pedals). I like the entry level Speed Play Zeros.

Campagnolo
Mirage entry-level; double or triple w/9 cogs fine function; some steel parts
Veloce enthusiast-level; double or triple w/9 cogs nice function; less steel; better finish
Daytona serious-level; double or triple w/9 or 10 cogs most affordable 10-speed group
Chorus race-level; double or triple w/9 or 10 cogs almost Record quality and finish
Record pro-level; double or triple w/9 or 10 cogs world's lightest group

Shimano
Sora entry-level; double or triple w/8 cogs some steel; shifts and brakes great
Tiagra enthusiast-level; double or triple w/9 cogs less steel; more interchangeability
105 serious-level; double or triple w/9 cogs great price; hollow crankarms
Ultegra 600 race-level; double or triple w/9 cogs almost D-A quality; hollow arms
Dura-Ace pro-level; double or triple w/9 cogs Lance's group; superlight

Okay the bike you linked.
That is the REI house brand. The Sora low end components are not interchangable (if you decide you want to upgrade something)

When I bought my road bike I went with a last years model from these guys http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I eneded up with a Fuji with Ultegra components and got a much nicer bike than I would have gotten at a bike store. I road them at the bike store and then bought online. Performance Bike carries Fuji and they are always having good sales. The brands in your price range are pretty much all made in Taiwan.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax wrote:I rode them at the bike store and then bought online.
Dude. That's pretty evil.

I know everyone says that you have to test ride to see how a bike fits, but I have never been able to tell the difference from one bike to another based on a test ride. For me, any bike I get on feels good. It takes several rides for me to find out what is wrong with the bike I just spent hundreds of dollars on.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

Poor Steve is getting abused in this newest of Swamps.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm doing the bike commute here in Melbourne, and have been putting serious km's on my bike, about 200 a week or so. I have a Ridley (aluminum frame, with a carbon fork and carbon rear triangle) and Campy Centaur drive train and Campy Daytona brakes. I love it...stiff frame, and nice and responsive. A friend of mine in Seattle owns a bike shop and he put the thing together for me.

Make sure to get a good racing saddle, good shoes and pedals, and invest in a good helmet. And there's no way around it, but be ready to be a MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra). I have 3 pairs of bib shorts, and one set of bib knicker length tights, and I would think of getting on my bike without having the right gear on.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
wlu_lax wrote:I rode them at the bike store and then bought online.
Dude. That's pretty evil.
Yes but buying a bike at a bike store (or the ones I test road at was evil too). Upsell, hey that bike does not really fit but I can make it fit, I know you want that bike but I don't have that so you should buy this one instead because it is the one I have in stock, or yes normally that bike has component X but this one does not because I downgraded it to steal pieces for some other bike I was building.

Those shops will get my money on maintenance services and some products, so I don't feel that bad.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Based on nothing other than observation at one shore town this seems to be the year where e-bikes have become really prevalent and presumably hit some consumer friendly price point. There are even a couple of rental places down here that deal exclusively in them.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This thread should be renamed! I got hit by a car, just like Steve! I demand co-billing! :D
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:38 am This thread should be renamed! I got hit by a car, just like Steve! I demand co-billing! :D
Got to be honest...two of the three people I know that ride bikes regularly have been hit by cars. Not a great percentage!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:38 am This thread should be renamed! I got hit by a car, just like Steve! I demand co-billing! :D
You posted about it in the wrong thread, I guess
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

For anyone looking/asking for a bike I need to rep my sister's bike company. They hand-build titanium bikes and will fit them to your wants/needs. The website is out of the 90s but they build good shit.

https://www.habcycles.com/
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:40 am
Got to be honest...two of the three people I know that ride bikes regularly have been hit by cars. Not a great percentage!
And just think of how nervous that third guy is getting ...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:21 pmFWIW, I may end up getting run over like Steve, too. I finally bought a road bike again this month, after doing without for three and a half years.
Lol. My bike was stolen off my car a couple of months ago, and I was struggling to figure out when I had bought it. I should've checked the Swamp!

(It was my own stupid fault for leaving my bike on the rack on the back of my car overnight, for several nights in a row. So they were able to cut the cable and carry the bike away. Just pure laziness.)