Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by brian »

New Drive-By Truckers album and tour this fall. New song available on NPR.

ETA: And in a bit of surprisingly good news for me, despite not playing in Vegas (as usual) they are playing in Scottsdale the day after I see Sigur Ros in Phoenix. So that'll be a fun weekend.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Love that feeling when you go back and listen to an old album and fall in love with a song you never listened to close enough or gave enough of a listen to.

The world needs more Jim Ward stuff. Hope he puts something out soon whether it's Sparta, Sleepercar, solo or whatever.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there any spotify-ish site that tracks listens by week? I want to see how much Modest Mouse bounced with the lead singer getting in the news for a car accident.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Is there any spotify-ish site that tracks listens by week? I want to see how much Modest Mouse bounced with the lead singer getting in the news for a car accident.
Was the accident with a cop car?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote:New Drive-By Truckers album and tour this fall. New song available on NPR.

ETA: And in a bit of surprisingly good news for me, despite not playing in Vegas (as usual) they are playing in Scottsdale the day after I see Sigur Ros in Phoenix. So that'll be a fun weekend.
Kevn Kinney's MacDougal Blues was No Depression before No Depression even became aware enough that it needed a name.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:
brian wrote:New Drive-By Truckers album and tour this fall. New song available on NPR.

Kevn Kinney's MacDougal Blues was No Depression before No Depression even became aware enough that it needed a name.
I'm a Drivin' and Cryin' fan, so I hear you a bit. But, hell, alt.country/No Depression really started with Willie and Waylon and their outlaw movement, then the Cowpunk guys like the Beat Farmers/Jason&Scorchers/Lone Justice, and then got a kick in the butt forward when Steve Earle and Lyle Lovett came along, then added postpunk influences with Uncle Tupelo and their ilk. Not sure where Kevn Kinney/DnC fits in, but somewhere yes.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

I'm a Drivin' and Cryin' fan, so I hear you a bit. But, hell, alt.country/No Depression really started with Willie and Waylon and their outlaw movement, then the Cowpunk guys like the Beat Farmers/Jason&Scorchers/Lone Justice, and then got a kick in the butt forward when Steve Earle and Lyle Lovett came along, then added postpunk influences with Uncle Tupelo and their ilk. Not sure where Kevn Kinney/DnC fits in, but somewhere yes.
Oh, I agree. Alt country (really, country music) took root when Willie, Johnny Cash etc refused the rhinestones.

I just wanted to draw attention to the awesomeness of Kevn Kinney (he should wear an eyepatch for having lost an i).
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Paste magazine's top 50 alternative country albums of all time. Lots to disagree and agree with. Couple of my favorites ranked high. Couple other favorites missed the list, etc.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:Paste magazine's top 50 alternative country albums of all time. Lots to disagree and agree with. Couple of my favorites ranked high. Couple other favorites missed the list, etc.
Where do they draw the line at alt-country? Little to no red-dirt/Texas on there at all...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I love My MOrning Jacket, but no way it's better than Metamodern by Sturgill Simpson.

And BSF, I think they are classifying what you say as real country, or Americana.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The mere fact that neither major Whiskeytown album is on it is a travesty. Strangers Almanac is probably a top 10 alt-country album in my mind. (At least...that's a very conservative estimate in my opinion.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I did appreciate that it included Songs:Ohia though. Jason Molina was an absolute genius.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Paste magazine's top 50 alternative country albums of all time. Lots to disagree and agree with. Couple of my favorites ranked high. Couple other favorites missed the list, etc.
Where do they draw the line at alt-country? Little to no red-dirt/Texas on there at all...
Yeah, definition on all this sort of thing is very subjective. Hell, all these articles are just one guy's opinion, anyway. If it was my article, you know there would have been some more variety there, including (to your point) some Joe Ely, Reckless Kelly, Lyle Lovett, and more Steve Earle. Also, could have thrown in Guy Clark, Whiskeytown, Alejandro Escovedo, Beat Farmers, Long Ryders, Webb Wilder, Dinosaur Jr... You could also argue that the country-rock bands of the 1970s were alternative country.

I also read the Paste top 50 postpone albums article, and the comments section is a wild argument about who should and who should not be included in that genre/description.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well there's one band on there (twice) that I really didn't expect to see.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Scrolling up the list, a couple surprised me that they are considered alt-country (Emmylou, Rosanne Cash, Loretta freaking Lynn, but I haven't heard that album), but I guess I understand, starting from how you slot Johnny Cash American IV. Another one that seems low, I am really horribly biased, since I think it is one of the greatest records ever, but k.d.'s Ingénue, I mean, damn I love that record so much.

Lots for me to listen to.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Yeah, definition on all this sort of thing is very subjective. Hell, all these articles are just one guy's opinion, anyway. If it was my article, you know there would have been some more variety there, including (to your point) some Joe Ely, Reckless Kelly, Lyle Lovett, and more Steve Earle. Also, could have thrown in Guy Clark, Whiskeytown, Alejandro Escovedo, Beat Farmers, Long Ryders, Webb Wilder, Dinosaur Jr... You could also argue that the country-rock bands of the 1970s were alternative country.

I also read the Paste top 50 postpone albums article, and the comments section is a wild argument about who should and who should not be included in that genre/description.
Yea the first one that popped to mind was RK's Wicked Twisted Road for sure. Ragweed has some great albums. REK, Randy Rogers Band, Jason Boland, the list goes on...Nice to see Emmylou on there.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That loretta lynn album was produced by Jack White, which is I assume why it gets put in the alt country realm. It's really really good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I love me some Guy Clark (<---- obviously) but he's not alt country. Folk, Americana, maybe, but not alt country. Kinda the same for REK. Ragweed and Reckless Kelly I would have considered for that list, yeah. Randy Rogers, too.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:I love me some Guy Clark (<---- obviously) but he's not alt country. Folk, americana, maybe, but not alt country. Kinda the same for REK. Ragweed and Reckless Kelly I owuld have considered for that list, year. Randy Rogers, too.
Yep, the definition is very subjective. No question. But, one definition one could use would be - "Do they get played on mainstream country radio?" By that definition, you could include those guys in this list. People like Todd Snider and Hayes Carll, too.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A_B wrote:That loretta lynn album was produced by Jack White, which is I assume why it gets put in the alt country realm. It's really really good.
Yeah, I just never got around to listening to it, then forgot about it. Can't believe it's 12 years old. I'll fix that today.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also, Southern Rock Opera is a better DBT album than Decoration Day to me, but I'll not quibble too much about that one. If they're putting multiple albums by some artists on there, it's hard to imagine for SRO doesn't make the cut.

ETA: Some Lucero fans would criticize having 1372 Overton Park on the list instead of something more popular like Tennessee, but I'll get behind that one. 1372 Overton Park is probably their most accessible record.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote:
A_B wrote:I love me some Guy Clark (<---- obviously) but he's not alt country. Folk, americana, maybe, but not alt country. Kinda the same for REK. Ragweed and Reckless Kelly I owuld have considered for that list, year. Randy Rogers, too.
Yep, the definition is very subjective. No question. But, one definition one could use would be - "Do they get played on mainstream country radio?" By that definition, you could include those guys in this list. People like Todd Snider, Ray Wylie Hubbard and Hayes Carll, too.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:
Yep, the definition is very subjective. No question. But, one definition one could use would be - "Do they get played on mainstream country radio?" By that definition, you could include those guys in this list. People like Todd Snider and Hayes Carll, too.
What mainsteam country radio plays any of this? Can I have some please? Around here its 8 stations that play the same 6 bullshit stadium country tracks.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
What mainsteam country radio plays any of this? Can I have some please? Around here its 8 stations that play the same 6 bullshit stadium country tracks.
Um, I meant they are alternative because they DON'T get played on mainstream.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Um, I meant they are alternative because they DON'T get played on mainstream.
Got it. Makes a lot more sense.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You could also make an argument that R.E.M.'s Murmur or Life's Rich Pageant are alt-country. I realize a lot of people would push back on that, but I believe it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe some songs, but I don't see a whole REM album qualifying.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote:I love me some Guy Clark (<---- obviously) but he's not alt country. Folk, Americana, maybe, but not alt country. Kinda the same for REK. Ragweed and Reckless Kelly I would have considered for that list, yeah. Randy Rogers, too.
I'm really enjoying the new Randy Rogers. Fellow SWT Bobcat.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dirty South was released by Drive-By Truckers 12 years ago today. Definitely the peak of the Isbell-era DBT even if you concede that Outfit from Decoration Day is the best DBT/Isbell song. (I believe it's Danko/Manuel, but wouldn't argue either).

Where the Devil Don't Stay (Cooley)
Tornadoes (Hood)
The Day John Henry Died (Isbell)
Puttin' People on the Moon (Hood)
Carl Perkins' Cadillac (Cooley)
The Sands of Iwo Jima (Hood)
Danko/Manuel (Isbell)
The Boys from Alabama (Hood)
Cottonseed (Cooley)
The Buford Stick (Hood)
Daddy's Cup (Cooley)
Never Gonna Change (Isbell)
Lookout Mountain (Hood)
Goddamn Lonely Love (Isbell)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I saw DBT with Isbell about then at the Fillmore in SF. They were co-headlining with Son Volt and it was a great show. Loud as hell.

I remember thinking even, at that time, that visually, he seemed separate from the others in the band. He was dressed smartly with nicely combed hair, while Patterson and the rest had the typical "just rolled out of bed" rock-n-roll look.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:I saw DBT with Isbell about then at the Fillmore in SF. They were co-headlining with Son Volt and it was a great show. Loud as hell.

I remember thinking even, at that time, that visually, he seemed separate from the others in the band. He was dressed smartly with nicely combed hair, while Patterson and the rest had the typical "just rolled out of bed" rock-n-roll look.
I'm way too interested in what bands wear. I don't even have a preference, but I always wonder what I'd wear if I was in a band.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same. Like at some point Berninger had to make a conscious decision to go from standard band wear to the professor look. I bet he was really self conscious the first few shows.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dave looks like what I look like going out. I remember really getting into The Walkmen after seeing them all in suits during a hot as fuck ACL set.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:I saw DBT with Isbell about then at the Fillmore in SF. They were co-headlining with Son Volt and it was a great show. Loud as hell.
Hey, I think I was at that show. Around 2004? I had seen DBT at Bottom of the Hill another time, around 2000 maybe? The years fade into one another (and there weren't world series to mark the years).

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That was a great tour. Even though I guess the band was pretty drunk most of the time, that was a kickass lineup and some incredible shows. I saw two on that tour.

They did a cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's "Holland, 1945" (sung by Isbell) that blew my dick off.

This one isn't as good, but it's still a pretty good cover.

ETA: That show also has their cover of "Ain't Talking Bout Love" which is my all-time favorite "silly" DBT cover song. They still typically will cover "People Who Died" and "Rockin' In The Free World" all the time, but mostly stick to originals which I guess makes sense once you have like 14 albums.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:
Hey, I think I was at that show. Around 2004? I had seen DBT at Bottom of the Hill another time, around 2000 maybe? The years fade into one another (and there weren't world series to mark the years).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

KEXP is doing one of their full day shows where they do the album plus the full songs of all the samples on it. Today is "3 Feet High & Rising".

(And who brings a door to a concert?)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:KEXP is doing one of their full day shows where they do the album plus the full songs of all the samples on it. Today is "3 Feet High & Rising".

(And who brings a door to a concert?)
Listening to their new one now.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

mister d wrote:KEXP is doing one of their full day shows where they do the album plus the full songs of all the samples on it. Today is "3 Feet High & Rising".
That's a lot of songs.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…