College Football 2016 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: College Football 2016 Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote:I'm guess I'm assuming they're going for the win no matter what. They barely got the winning play under the gun anyway, clock operation being what it is
If Clemson had lost that game last night, Dabo would be getting the "Andy Reid School of Clock Management" award this morning.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:

It's because you're white, Kirk.
Jesus Christ, is that really Scarbrough in 10th grade? My son is in 10th grade and pretty damn fit ... but he looks like a different species.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Ryan wrote:I'm guess I'm assuming they're going for the win no matter what. They barely got the winning play under the gun anyway, clock operation being what it is
If Clemson had lost that game last night, Dabo would be getting the "Andy Reid School of Clock Management" award this morning.
While Clemson didn't play it flawlessly, the only thing that could have backfired was a missed field goal as the clock expired.

The snap for the touchdown pass came with the clock at 6 seconds. There's a decent chance the clock should have been at 2 seconds after the touchdown because of how quickly that play takes to develop. A sack or a really long rollout (which Watson isn't doing) was the only thing that gets the clock to 0:00. So there was very, very little chance (especially with a timeout) that it was going to be the last play of the game if it was incomplete.

Hell, the clock didn't expire on that onside kick.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
While Clemson didn't play it flawlessly, the only thing that could have backfired was a missed field goal as the clock expired.

The snap for the touchdown pass came with the clock at 6 seconds. There's a decent chance the clock should have been at 2 seconds after the touchdown because of how quickly that play takes to develop. A sack or a really long rollout (which Watson isn't doing) was the only thing that gets the clock to 0:00. So there was very, very little chance (especially with a timeout) that it was going to be the last play of the game if it was incomplete.

Hell, the clock didn't expire on that onside kick.
I was talking more about the last minute, not the last play. Sure seemed like Dabo was playing for the FG attempt, not for the win.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:Hell, the clock didn't expire on that onside kick.
Doesn't possession have to change for the clock to start?
DaveInSeattle wrote:I was talking more about the last minute, not the last play. Sure seemed like Dabo was playing for the FG attempt, not for the win.
He was feelin' himself after that PI call.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
LewP
Jackie Treehorn

Post by LewP »

EnochRoot wrote:
LewP wrote:Image
Just so we're clear and that I can properly understand you:

Are you off-handedly implying that the consternation over Russia tilting the scales of our presidential election is laughable, and that the concerted voice of our intelligence community is to be dismissed?

Cuz Saban lost primarily because he had a teenaged QB up against a generational-type QB. It wasn't the Russians.
I'm very happy you are asking for clarification on this humorous photo. You seem to be upset about the photo of Saban supposedly blaming the Russians for the loss yesterday in the National Championship game. Then, you seem to imply that you have knowledge that the Russians did in fact tilt the presidential election due to Russia. Further, you seem to know why the team from Alabama lost the game and how the loss was solely on the shoulders of a teen-aged quarterback.

You seem to be giving the appearance that you are an expert on both topics, to which I must admit I am impressed. I on the other hand, don't claim to be all knowing such as you, and I just innocently posted a fucking picture that I thought was funny. Take it anyway you choose.
"Never pay for the same real estate twice." General George S. Patton
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

so was it one sole Russian's fault? is that the joke?

(because a meme never has bad grammar. ever)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The willie taggart era off to a great start!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:The willie taggart era off to a great start!
incredibly irresponsible. the gap between "really hard workout" and "really hard workout that sends players to the hospital with rhabdo" is pretty damn big.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He's just putting his thing down.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In both lists, yay!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well shit. Bob Stoops retiring. WTF is going on with coaches these days?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Well shit. Bob Stoops retiring. WTF is going on with coaches these days?
Insanely bizarre timing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sounds like a health thing. I read he was diagnosed with a heart issue. Didn't realize his dad dropped dead at 54 while coaching a game.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 pm
brian wrote:Curious to see what he does. Another job is out there despite his age if he wants it. Would be interesting as a TV guy I think. Expect he'll do the TV thing for the rest of this season at least.
Les Miles as the replacement for Lee Corso makes a ton of sense.
Pat Mcafee added to gameday permanently. There's your corso for the new age, right?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can he wear some damn sleeves?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:21 am Can he wear some damn sleeves?
Maybe that's what he'll put on instead of headgear at the end of each show.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like his show, generally. But it's a pretty wild that a guy who (self-admittedly) didn't give a shit about college football up until about a month ago is on Game Day.

It's a dumb show with a lot of unnecessary shouting, so he'll be just fine. Just funny having listened to him (and his crew) pretty much say they'll fake enthusiasm if that's what needs to be done.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 pm I like his show, generally. But it's a pretty wild that a guy who (self-admittedly) didn't give a shit about college football up until about a month ago is on Game Day.

It's a dumb show with a lot of unnecessary shouting, so he'll be just fine. Just funny having listened to him (and his crew) pretty much say they'll fake enthusiasm if that's what needs to be done.
are you confusing gameday with another show?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 pm I like his show, generally. But it's a pretty wild that a guy who (self-admittedly) didn't give a shit about college football up until about a month ago is on Game Day.

Isn't that the show with Corso in front of whatever home town crowd with a lot of shouting and Home Depot signage?

I'm not a fan.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I love Gameday. I don't watch every second, but I think they do a good job of setting the stage for the day. Considering I ignore pretty much every NFL pre game show, CFB has that going for them, which is nice.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:49 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:43 pm

Isn't that the show with Corso in front of whatever home town crowd with a lot of shouting and Home Depot signage?

I'm not a fan.
are you referencing them talking loudly so they can hear each other because of the crowd behind them? because otherwise I'm really really not sure what you're talking about.

eta: gameday isn't perfect (no pregame show is) and there are certainly some interesting takes lobbed sometimes (see: the players skipping bowl games one from January) but I don't think I've ever heard it described like an FS1 debate show before
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I didn't say anything about debating, I'm specifically talking about the fact that they are shouting the entire time.

I'm like AB, I don't really like the entire genre of pre-game shows. So there's that going into it.

I don't need to be shouted at when watching TV.

Get off my motherfucking lawn.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GameDay is about the only watching pregame show imo specifically because there isn’t much shouting (except over the crowd sometimes).

Every NFL pregame show is completely unwatchable.