Swamp Tour Guide: Checking on Giff (Houston)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Swamp Tour Guide: Checking on Giff (Houston)

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I was reminded by this post that I needed to start this thread. After all, the time for my annual trip for timing the anthem has nearly arrived.

In any case, recommendations for places to eat and drink are welcomed, specifically in the area west of downtown near Rice University and near I-69 (staying just south of there near Hot Yoga Houston, Pink's Pizza, River Oaks Paint & Body, Crave Cupcakes, Big Easy Social and Pleasure Club, European Wax Center, Party City, Velvet Melvin Pub, Tease Color & Style Bar, and Amy's Ice Creams).

I'll be in town from January 16 - February 6.

I hope I've made the jokes easy enough for all of you.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Swamp Tour Guide: Checking on Giff (Houston)

Post by EnochRoot »

I cast my vote for the St. Arnold Brewing Company. Place is laid out like a beer hall. Decent eats and great beer.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EnochRoot wrote:I cast my...d...in...any...Decent...t and...a...
DSafetyGuy wrote:I hope I've made the jokes easy enough for all of you.
honeypot
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, his resolution is halfway met.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'll have a ton of recommendations. I work really close to there.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I now understand the need to check in Giff electronically is based on the fact that (almost) no Swamper has ever been to the Houston area, save for the airport when changing flights.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Oh, I've been. But I wouldn't recommend the FInal Four while you're there. It sucked when I was there.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've been too but don't remember a damn thing about it. Stayed near the Galleria and went to an Astros game (was like the 7th or 8th game ever at Enron Field). That's literally about all I remember.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I now understand the need to check in Giff electronically is based on the fact that (almost) no Swamper has ever been to the Houston area, save for the airport when changing flights.
I've been multiple times for work. It isn't one of my favorite cities to visit, regardless of Giff's status or residency. But I had a great time the day we got together for beers and morning soccer.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Houston's got many flaws, but I think it's a very underrated city when it comes to restaurants, arts, outdoor space and diversity. Both Harris (majority of Houston) and Fort Bend (suburbs where I live west and southwest of city) were blue this year.

From where you are, I'd recommend hitting up some of the following spots:

El Tiempo - the best fajitas I've ever had. The garlic butter they come with is unreal good.
Torchy's Tacos - I love this place, but their tacos aren't standard. Give it a try if you never have.
100% Taquito - great tacos
La Tapatia - another place with great tacos and burritos
Ruggles Black - nicer joint which is good if you're expensing it
Local Foods - great sandwiches
The Hay Merchant - all craft beer which a bar menu created by one of the more famous chefs in Houston. They truly only serve craft beer.
Underbelly - restaurant next to The Hay Merchant ran by the aforementioned famous chef
Star Pizza - deep dish
Pink's Pizza - thinner crust, more by the slice
Freebird's - what Chipotle wishes it could be
Punk's Simple Southern Food - great fried chicken
Hughies - Vietnamese and craft beer place. Best vermicelli I've ever had.
Himalaya - I've actually never eaten here as I've never really been into Indian food. That's changed, so I'll be there soon. They supposedly have amazing fried chicken too.
Gatlins - BBQ

Will you have a car? My office is at 610/69 interchange literally across the street from the Galleria.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote:Will you have a car? My office is at 610/69 interchange literally across the street from the Galleria.
Thanks for the list. I'll be working at NRG and normally will be working until 7pm post days. There will likely be a couple shorter days next week and I may be off on Sunday, the 22nd, but a friend who has moved to Austin may be coming in Saturday night (and will probably find out on Saturday afternoon if I am off).

I should have no problem getting my hands on a car if you want to meet up. Our group will be sharing around six rental cars spread among about 20 people and I only have to work out scheduling getting one around other people needing to go shopping, etc., but that's usually not difficult. Hotel is on Westgate about a mile east from 610.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote:Will you have a car? My office is at 610/69 interchange literally across the street from the Galleria.
Our office is very close to yours, Giff. Have you ever gone to The Burger Palace on West Alabama Street? If not, check it out. I had some excellent burgers there, and they had an outstanding beer selection.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thanks for the list. I'll be working at NRG and normally will be working until 7pm post days. There will likely be a couple shorter days next week and I may be off on Sunday, the 22nd, but a friend who has moved to Austin may be coming in Saturday night (and will probably find out on Saturday afternoon if I am off).

I should have no problem getting my hands on a car if you want to meet up. Our group will be sharing around six rental cars spread among about 20 people and I only have to work out scheduling getting one around other people needing to go shopping, etc., but that's usually not difficult. Hotel is on Westgate about a mile east from 610.
Westgate or Westpark? The car question was more for some of the places on the list that would be easier to get to by car. I can meet up wherever you want. If it's going to be a post-work thing instead of lunch, let me know so I can make sure I have a car since I carpool Mon-Fri.

Also, adding Bubba's Burgers (SW corner of 610/69 interchange on Westpark). I get the buffalo patty melt every few weeks (buffalo meat, not buffalo wing sauce)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:
Our office is very close to yours, Giff. Have you ever gone to The Burger Palace on West Alabama Street? If not, check it out. I had some excellent burgers there, and they had an outstanding beer selection.
I surprisingly haven't. Need to check it out. There's also a Shake Shack in the Galleria now that I'm wanting to try.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

from my limited time spent in Houston this past year, i'd recommend
The Flying Saucer (guess that's downtown? great selection.. the food was pretty good too.. can't speak badly about the bartenders or other barflys either)
The Queen Vic Pub & Kitchen -- really enjoyed the whole thing..atmosphere, food, music, beers..
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I always read that word in my head as "barf-lees".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

elflaco wrote: The Queen Vic Pub & Kitchen -- really enjoyed the whole thing..atmosphere, food, music, beers..
Never been there. Need to check it out.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Flying Sauceris the best chain bar in the ... midwest? country? 100 beers and $3.50 crafts is not a bad combination.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote:Flying Sauceris the best chain bar in the ... midwest? country? 100 beers and $3.50 crafts is not a bad combination.
We got us one in Raleigh. Looks like there are about 15 of them in the south and midwest. Mostly Texas. http://www.beerknurd.com/locations
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Westgate or Westpark? The car question was more for some of the places on the list that would be easier to get to by car. I can meet up wherever you want. If it's going to be a post-work thing instead of lunch, let me know so I can make sure I have a car since I carpool Mon-Fri.

Also, adding Bubba's Burgers (SW corner of 610/69 interchange on Westpark). I get the buffalo patty melt every few weeks (buffalo meat, not buffalo wing sauce)
Sorry, Westpark. Maybe Westgate is lodged in my brain as the "entertainment district" (shopping center) not far from University of Phoenix Stadium.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Flying Sauceris the best chain bar in the ... midwest? country? 100 beers and $3.50 crafts is not a bad combination.
We got us one in Raleigh. Looks like there are about 15 of them in the south and midwest. Mostly Texas. http://www.beerknurd.com/locations
So like a southern Yard House?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:
Shirley wrote:
beer is cheaper, the beer list is better, the food is cheaper and the atmosphere is more laid back at the Saucer
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:
Shirley wrote:
beer is cheaper, the beer list is better, the food is cheaper and the atmosphere is more laid back at the Saucer
What he said. And we have Yard Houses down here too.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

so back in Houston!

only a short trip.. but thanks to Stella, now here through Wednesday

Where's Giff?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i feel so unwanted
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

doh!
sorry TT... totally forgot you were here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just seeing this. What time are you leaving today?
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

last meeting ends @ 1030am - then flight @ 225p

next week in wilmington
then two weeks in NY
then a week in glendale
then back in houston... i'ma be back here every three weeks or so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[consciously non-creepy voice] Where do you stay when you're in Wilmington? Seems like the downtown hotels are fully booked more often than not mid-week these days.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

it's close enough that i often just do up and down same day on amtrak.
otherwise...The Sheraton Suites on delaware ave.. or The Westin (not downtown, down by the riverfront.
haven't stayed anywhere else.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sheraton is nice. Do you go to Washington St. or Mikimotos or both???
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

both.
usually the pub though.

if at the Westin, then iron hill