Football draft is pending
Many fans get so excited
I say whoop di doo
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by L-Jam3 »

You know, there's a pretty good basketball team in your area.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote:It feels like the next time my wife boils water without it boiling over, it will be the first.
Still perfect.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You mean with pasta or something right?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Maybe this should be it own thread, but I don't think I'd get enough responses.

So, ignore the Google Maps cars, this was my situation earlier, sitting at a red light:

I'm the blue square. The fire engine responding to an emergency is the red square. There's a guy in front of me (green) and a guy in the left of the two turning lanes (black). There are 6 total lanes. The far right is a right turn only. The left two are left turn only.

So...the fire engine could be heard well before it was seen. It screamed in from the west and turned left, now going north. It cut across multiple lanes south of this screenshot so I couldn't gauge whether it wanted to turn or go straight. I'm stuck. That firetruck ended up in the lane I colored far too late. And when I realized that he wanted to turn left I cut the wheel hard right and barreled into the lane to my right. Thankfully the guy in front of me didn't do the same. The firetruck almost clipped me.

What was I supposed to do here? I honestly don't know. Back when I learned about driving and an emergency vehicle is coming, "GET TO THE RIGHT!" is ingrained in your head. If I did that, I was worried I'd get T-boned. I was secretly hoping he'd pick one of the three open lanes with zero cars, and then make a huge left. That didn't happen.

Basically, emergency vehicles need large fucking arrows on them to go with their flashing lights to let people know what to do.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:It feels like the next time my wife boils water without it boiling over, it will be the first.
Still perfect.
A friend commented recently that his wife burns popcorn every time she makes it. This comment was made when we both noticed an acrid smell coming from the kitchen.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote:You mean with pasta or something right?
Yes. In this case, kielbasa.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Why would you boil kielbasa?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's how my Polish grandfather prepared it. And my mom, before she quit eating pork and beef.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:That's how my Polish grandfather prepared it. And my mom, before she quit eating pork and beef.
Yep, same.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:Maybe this should be it own thread, but I don't think I'd get enough responses.

So, ignore the Google Maps cars, this was my situation earlier, sitting at a red light:

I'm the blue square. The fire engine responding to an emergency is the red square. There's a guy in front of me (green) and a guy in the left of the two turning lanes (black). There are 6 total lanes. The far right is a right turn only. The left two are left turn only.

So...the fire engine could be heard well before it was seen. It screamed in from the west and turned left, now going north. It cut across multiple lanes south of this screenshot so I couldn't gauge whether it wanted to turn or go straight. I'm stuck. That firetruck ended up in the lane I colored far too late. And when I realized that he wanted to turn left I cut the wheel hard right and barreled into the lane to my right. Thankfully the guy in front of me didn't do the same. The firetruck almost clipped me.

What was I supposed to do here? I honestly don't know. Back when I learned about driving and an emergency vehicle is coming, "GET TO THE RIGHT!" is ingrained in your head. If I did that, I was worried I'd get T-boned. I was secretly hoping he'd pick one of the three open lanes with zero cars, and then make a huge left. That didn't happen.

Basically, emergency vehicles need large fucking arrows on them to go with their flashing lights to let people know what to do.
I think with the green square in front of you and the firetruck right behind, you stay where you are. The firetruck can get past you on the right, or in the lane immediately left, or it can cut into the oncoming lanes. The general rule is to get to the right, but once the firetruck is there, you want to stay put unless you are actually blocking it. Otherwise, you switch lanes at the same time the fire truck is doing the same thing, and everyone is fucked.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Maybe this should be it own thread, but I don't think I'd get enough responses.

I think with the green square in front of you and the firetruck right behind, you stay where you are. The firetruck can get past you on the right, or in the lane immediately left, or it can cut into the oncoming lanes. The general rule is to get to the right, but once the firetruck is there, you want to stay put unless you are actually blocking it. Otherwise, you switch lanes at the same time the fire truck is doing the same thing, and everyone is fucked.

Yep, get right and if that's not possible make a hole for the emergency vehicle and stay the fuck out of it's way. I would have maybe cut to the left and pointed the car that way to show you're trying to stay out of it's way to the big hole on the right.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, with the benefit of hindsight, had I cut left I would have been impeding the firetruck. Had I cut right I would have cut off another lane. With 6 lanes and being completely unaware until it was too late where he wanted to go, I froze. That just wasn't fun.

Albuquerque needs to do what Tucson did. Install sensors in the traffic lights that change red to green and green to red out of its cycle so that traffic knows to move when emergency vehicles are coming.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

People have been getting out of the way of emergency vehicles forever. You're overthinking this. Just get the fuck out of the way dude.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote:People have been getting out of the way of emergency vehicles forever.
This isn't true.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote:
A_B wrote:People have been getting out of the way of emergency vehicles forever.
This isn't true.

Shut up.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Albuquerque needs to do what Tucson did. Install sensors in the traffic lights that change red to green and green to red out of its cycle so that traffic knows to move when emergency vehicles are coming.
Potentially dumb question, but how do those work?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The emergency vehicles are tied into the traffic communication so they send signals as they approach an intersection. Although they never go green around here, just all reds
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote:
Johnnie wrote: Albuquerque needs to do what Tucson did. Install sensors in the traffic lights that change red to green and green to red out of its cycle so that traffic knows to move when emergency vehicles are coming.
I assume a transponder in the emergency vehicles and a corresponding receiver on the traffic light/panel. When going lights and sirens, transponder turns on and gives the emergency vehicle a tunnel.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Cool. I want to be a transponster!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What Ryan and BSF said. I'd like to add that in addition to the senators there are high beam lights on the top of traffic light that flicker bright enough to be seen in the daytime giving everyone a heads up in advance. Those will go off before you hear the sirens too.
A_B wrote:People have been getting out of the way of emergency vehicles forever. You're overthinking this. Just get the fuck out of the way dude.
K.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:
Giff wrote:
I assume a transponder in the emergency vehicles and a corresponding receiver on the traffic light/panel. When going lights and sirens, transponder turns on and gives the emergency vehicle a tunnel.
Well kinda. Most common is audible but they also have Line-of-sight, radio signal, and GPS versions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_signal_preemption

oh and yeah you can buy products that trigger some of these...which is illegal in most places. I have seen articles in the local newspaper talking about how municipalities caught folks using these. Apparently their is surviellance/reporting on when lights are triggered by these devices. So folks who turn this on got busted becuase most people drive the same way to work/school/etc on a pretty regular schedule. I am guessing this is why audible is more popular than the visual ones. Harder for a random donk to drive around with a siren on.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/how ... lly-trying

https://www.wired.com/2005/08/traffic-h ... red-light/
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I got an email this morning from the old bug report/tracking system I used for BrightCar. That means someone out there is still using it and hit a bug. The last one of those I got was about 4.5 years ago!
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:I got an email this morning from the old bug report/tracking system I used for BrightCar. That means someone out there is still using it and hit a bug. The last one of those I got was about 4.5 years ago!
Even if it didn't take off like you wanted, that's still gotta be pretty cool. (not the bug)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:Cool. I want to be a transponster!!

That's not even a word!! {that was a Friends reference, right?}
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote:
Giff wrote:Cool. I want to be a transponster!!

That's not even a word!! {that was a Friends reference, right?}
It was!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
Shirley wrote:I got an email this morning from the old bug report/tracking system I used for BrightCar. That means someone out there is still using it and hit a bug. The last one of those I got was about 4.5 years ago!
Even if it didn't take off like you wanted, that's still gotta be pretty cool. (not the bug)
Definitely. Kinda bittersweet, actually.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't in good conscience respond to a text that says "Have I told you yet how much cooler I think you are now that you no longer find it necessary to respond to texts?" Right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jerloma wrote:I can't in good conscience respond to a text that says "Have I told you yet how much cooler I think you are now that you no longer find it necessary to respond to texts?" Right?
Call, say thanks, hang up.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh, that's good.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

4.5 years! It usually takes about 4.5 seconds for my code to throw an error....
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

voice text
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Came home to a basement tainted by explosive dog diarrhea. (Izzy and her pals in the dog park were feasting on grass this morning)

Smelled as bad as you can imagine.

Makes me think about what life back in "the good old days" smelled like. Horses shitting everywhere. Chamber pots. Outhouses etc.

Just think - would any of us have even shaken our forefathers' hands without having purell at the ready?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I was just writing my officiant's address for this wedding in a few weeks and I practically subconsciously dropped a rigor mortis joke about Snow White in there. I've since seen the error of my ways and rectified the transgression accordingly.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:I was just writing my officiant's address for this wedding in a few weeks and I practically subconsciously dropped a rigor mortis joke about Snow White in there. I've since seen the error of my ways and rectified the transgression accordingly.
That would be hilarious, but dude, remember that it's about them.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I know. That's the thing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This close to just completely cutting my parents out of my life. They care not at all about my family, so why should I even keep up the pretense? Not to mention my mom sounds like the stupidest version of a Trump voter ever on Facebook and it's embarrassing.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:This close to just completely cutting my parents out of my life. They care not at all about my family, so why should I even keep up the pretense? Not to mention my mom sounds like the stupidest version of a Trump voter ever on Facebook and it's embarrassing.
I would never presume to speak to your feelings or your issues with your parents.

But I have for all intents and purposes cut my father out of my life. Back when I was feeling miserable and torn about his behaviour, a cousin of mine said that we can never control the way other people act - we can only control how we react.

Trite? Maybe, but it's 100% true. If certain people are constantly causing you anguish, than you owe it to yourself to do what will make you happier.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:This close to just completely cutting my parents out of my life. They care not at all about my family, so why should I even keep up the pretense? Not to mention my mom sounds like the stupidest version of a Trump voter ever on Facebook and it's embarrassing.
Not an argument for or against, but at this point in your life you don't owe your parents shit.

Personally I made the decision about six months ago to alienate myself from a segment of my family and I'm happier for it. Shit, maybe they're happier too, but I don't really care.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My mother and father will be visiting this weekend. They divorced in 1985.

Things get underway with the two of them sharing about seven or eight hours driving here. They've always been civil, but I wonder what they will chat about to pass the time for about 400 miles.

I look forward to telling them after they arrive that it's going to be weird for me at times to have them here together.

(My stepmother passed away in April 2013 and my stepfather passed away on the most recent Valentine's Day - both were remarried for longer than they were married to each other. My dad came to the memorial service for my stepfather and offered to pick her up if she ever wanted to come along when he was coming for a visit - he normally would take a bypass around the town where she lives when coming directly here, anyway. He knew he was coming up this weekend for a month or so and just called her out of the blue a couple weeks ago to see if she wanted to come.)