2017 NBA Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2017 NBA Offseason

Post by brian »

Wouldn't have to live in Cleveland tho. People forget that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:If you combine the Durant criticism with the Irving criticism it's basically impossible to be right unless you quietly stay with the team that drafted you or you're bad.

Eh, that's an oversimplification. The criticism of Durant wasn't based on the idea that he should've felt obligated to stay with OKC. It's that the second best player alive joining a 73-win team resulted in an accumulation of talent that's basically unprecedented in the modern era. (It would've been like if Shaq signed with the Bulls instead of the Lakers when he left the Magic.) We're going to have at least 3 straight seasons, probably more, where there is virtually zero chance of any team other than the Warriors winning a title, as long as the Warriors stay healthy. (The Cavs, Rockets, Spurs, etc. are basically just competing to be teams that can win if Curry or Durant tears an ACL.) That sucks if you're a fan of any team other than the Warriors, or even if you just like seeing competitive playoff matchups. Durant wouldn't have gotten nearly the same blowback had he gone to Boston, San Antonio, or any other non-OKC team that he met with.

As for Irving, I think what rubs people the wrong way is that he specifically identified LeBron (one of the greatest, and most unselfish players of all-time) as the guy he doesn't want to play with. Also, Irving is under contract for 2 more seasons, which makes his situation different from a free agent like Durant or a guy like Paul George who had only 1 year left on his deal.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure, its oversimplified, but one is being blasted for joining really great players and one is being blasted for wanting a team of his own away from the greatest player.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I don't understand what exactly Irving wants. If he wants to be 'The Man", does that mean he'll go to an Orlando-type team where he's the unquestioned best player? I doubt it. If he goes to anyone even close to contention, he will have to share top dog with someone. Is he upset he doesn't always bring the ball up the court in Cleveland? The better half-court teams like the Spurs have lots of touches for everyone on the court so while the offense may technically go "through him", that doesn't sound like what he wants either.

That aside, I hope he ends up in Minnesota because that would be a very interesting team.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think he wants to go to NY where he'd be the lead man with Kristaps and some other future superstar behind him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:I think he wants to go to NY where he'd be the lead man with Kristaps and some other future superstar behind him.

Being based in one of the leading cities of the world could also be lucrative for him, eh?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:I think he wants to go to NY where he'd be the lead man with Kristaps and some other future superstar behind him.

He also grew up in New Jersey, just outside of NYC, so I agree that the Knicks make the most sense of the four preferred teams he identified. He'd be "the man," assuming Melo goes in any trade, and would be closer to family and friends. (Supposedly Irving isn't really friends with anyone on the Cavs off the court.)

If he goes to San Antonio he definitely won't be the best player on his team and I don't think Pop is going to reverse the trend of having more of the offense run through Kawhi. Minnesota would be very intriguing but Irving would probably only be the third best player on that team, with Butler and Towns there.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I can't see Minnesota being able to make money work for more than a season.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"Is Paul George really that much more a difference maker than Chris Paul?"

(I'm not good with headlines)
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Hopefully whatever big network inevitably hires the "Pardon My Take" guys away from Barstool doesn't make them stop trolling superstar athletes on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/kelsoball/status/889608327172427785
https://twitter.com/pftcommenter/status ... 0351464453
https://twitter.com/pftcommenter/status ... 3664105481
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

PFT is fucking amazing.

And yea, I agree about their eventual leaving from Barstool. They better go somewhere with creative freedom. Pardon My Take (which by the way received a cease and desist letter from ESPN for their original logo and name) is basically its own thing now separate, but connected to Barstool.

The latter is still bro-sports for bro culture and the former a legitimate entity with bonafide guests and hilarious segments. So weird that it's even a Barstool entity to begin with.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

For all the analytics folk on the board, this is an interesting chew from Burneko at Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/the-chris-paul-prob ... 1797409440
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isn't that article a lot more easily summed up with "there's a difference between greatness and performance and you can't direct line attribute"? Like Mike Bossy is 3rd all-time in points per game which is a literal measure or points per game but I still don't think anyone would call him the third greatest point producer by ability in NHL history.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:Isn't that article a lot more easily summed up with "there's a difference between greatness and performance and you can't direct line attribute"? Like Mike Bossy is 3rd all-time in points per game which is a literal measure or points per game but I still don't think anyone would call him the third greatest point producer by ability in NHL history.

Also, you reaaally can't talk about the Clippers' recent postseason failures without making injuries a big part of the story. It's very unlikely a healthy team gets bounced in the first round either of the last 2 years. And the year before that they were an absurdly fluky Josh Smith shooting eruption away from the conference finals. (After beating a strong, defending champion Spurs team in round 1, where Paul hit the series winning shot in Game 7 despite playing hobbled.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, I like Deadspin but their NBA analysis is pretty weak compared to guys at ESPN like Lowe and Haberstroh. Like this is a really bold take from Burneko in a world where the Warriors exist:
In the meantime, I will bet my right hand against yours that he won’t play in the 2018 Finals.

You would make the same damn wager about LeBron if he played in the West, and LeBron might be the greatest player ever.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Diamond Stone waived. Don't cry too much Stone had a fully guaranteed contract for $1,312,611 for next season.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A diamond is not a stone.

Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I predict Kyrie gets traded to the Suns tomorrow for Bledsoe and Josh Jackson. It seems like the trade rumors have been awfully quiet the last several days, which makes me suspect that the teams have already agreed to the deal. But any trade involving a rookie cannot be consummated until the rookie has been signed for 1 month, which would be tomorrow for Jackson. Also, for the conspiracy theorists out there, Kyrie posted an Instagram video on Sunday where he had "House of the Rising Sun" playing in the background.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I just spent a couple of minutes making sure NO doesn't make sense. Thanks.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote:I predict Kyrie gets traded to the Suns tomorrow for Bledsoe and Josh Jackson. It seems like the trade rumors have been awfully quiet the last several days, which makes me suspect that the teams have already agreed to the deal. But any trade involving a rookie cannot be consummated until the rookie has been signed for 1 month, which would be tomorrow for Jackson. Also, for the conspiracy theorists out there, Kyrie posted an Instagram video on Sunday where he had "House of the Rising Sun" playing in the background.

Or one more day to include Ntilikina.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If you have seven hours to read it.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote:

If you have seven hours to read it.

See, this is the reason long-form journalism is dying. I blame AB.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote:I blame AB.

Evergreen post.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I know the Zach Randolph drug dealing rumors have been out there forever, but it's still crazy to me that he'd (allegedly) still be doing that. Without looking it up, he's probably made over $100M in career NBA salary.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's better than $100,000,000? $100,000,250.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:What's better than $100,000,000? $100,000,250.

I'm actually curious how much money Randolph has made off of his side gig. Several years back a guy who got arrested on drug charges in Indiana told the police he was working for Randolph and that Randolph is one of the biggest dealers in the Indianapolis area (where he originally is from). There are also rumors he maintained a substantial dealing operation in Portland well after leaving the Blazers.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I mean, how do Kings fans even exist any more?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Giff wrote:I mean, how do Kings fans even exist any more?

The Kings at least finally have a semblance of a plan. They have a ton of young players on their roster; there's no way they'll all pan out but if they hit on at least a few they'll be in decent shape in a few years.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote:I mean, how do Kings fans even exist any more?

Still big in the former Yugoslavia right?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's the only thing going in Sacramento. If this team ever got good for a sustained period of time, they'd go absolutely bonkers.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:It's the only thing going in Sacramento. If this team ever got good for a sustained period of time, they'd go absolutely bonkers.

Until they get that MLS team. The USL team averages about 11,500.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Joe K wrote:
mister d wrote:What's better than $100,000,000? $100,000,250.

I'm actually curious how much money Randolph has made off of his side gig. Several years back a guy who got arrested on drug charges in Indiana told the police he was working for Randolph and that Randolph is one of the biggest dealers in the Indianapolis area (where he originally is from). There are also rumors he maintained a substantial dealing operation in Portland well after leaving the Blazers.

Felony weed levels are often called, "with intent to sell or deliver" if it's a large amount. My first reaction to this story was that it would make sense that a superrich NBA athlete may sometimes have a ton of weed on him, and that it doesn't mean he's standing on the corner slangin'.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Morris, Bam.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The best thing about KD winning a title is that it's liberated him to go back to being a Twitter superstar. I enjoyed this roasting of laid off ex-ESPN'er and Tomi Lahren imitator Britt McHenry.

https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/898584177901158400
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Based on the counsel they retained to lead the investigation, the NBA is definitely taking this Lakers/Paul George tampering issue pretty seriously. Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz is about as white shoe as it gets for law firms. I've seen people suggest that Silver would never punish Magic or the Lakers but that would be quite the expensive white wash.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

you can't have Chris Paul. you can't have Paul George. you can't have nuttin'!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

howard wrote:you can't have Chris Paul. you can't have Paul George. you can't have nuttin'!

This investigation is just one of many reasons why the speculation that LeBron has already decided to go to LA next year is almost certainly bullshit. In addition to the possibility of tampering sanctions, we have no clue if Lonzo is actually going to be good as a rookie. LeBron has made it clear that he wants to challenge Jordan's accomplishments and he's not going to go somewhere where the best case scenario is losing in 5 games to the Warriors in Round 2. I'm not saying he'll stay in Cleveland, but I doubt any decisions have been made one way or another. And I doubt they will be until he sees how this season plays out for teams like the Cavs, Lakers, Clippers, Rockets, etc.