College Basketball 2013-14

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

College Basketball 2013-14

Post by Scottie »

. . . until the tournaments, conference and beyond.

Andrew Wiggins watch: 16 pts in his college debut last evening. Game recap (Sportsline)
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Shirley
The Dude

Re: College Basketball 2013-14

Post by Shirley »

Pretty solid start. Not quite up to recent frosh superstars in their first game though.

Kevin Durant - 20 and 6
Michael Beasley - 32 and 24 (holy shit!)
Carmelo Anthony - 27 and 11

Wow, it wasn't until after I typed that that I realized that all three were from the DC-Baltimore area. And non one attended school anywhere near there.

(These are all amazing to peruse)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 85/gamelog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 45/gamelog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 74/gamelog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Randles debut much better. 23 an 15.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB_skin_test wrote:Randles debut much better. 23 an 15.
Indeed. That's an impressive start. Jabari Parker went for 22 and 6. Pretty solid start for three of the most-hyped frosh in a long time (although Randle hasn't really had the press of the other two despite his ranking above Parker by the end of last season).
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

22 and 14 for Randle today in his second game (on only 7 FG attempts). I know the competition has been weak, but still a great start to the season. I'm looking forward to seeing #1 Kentucky vs. #2 Michigan St. on Tuesday night. That will be a good test for all the UK frosh.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Joe K wrote:22 and 14 for Randle today in his second game (on only 7 FG attempts). I know the competition has been weak, but still a great start to the season. I'm looking forward to seeing #1 Kentucky vs. #2 Michigan St. on Tuesday night. That will be a good test for all the UK frosh.
It's the earliest matchup of AP #1 and #2 in history - should be a great game in Chicago.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There are some great hoops matchups tonight. Kentucky vs. Michigan State. Duke vs. Kansas. And of course, the big one - the Battle for the Commonwealth - Virginia vs. VCU.

Can't wait to watch some quality college hoops!
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:There are some great hoops matchups tonight. Kentucky vs. Michigan State. Duke vs. Kansas. And of course, the big one - the Battle for the Commonwealth - Virginia vs. VCU.

If the Cavs win do they get to be UVC, then? Is it like a championship belt?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Shirley wrote:There are some great hoops matchups tonight. Kentucky vs. Michigan State. Duke vs. Kansas. And of course, the big one - the Battle for the Commonwealth - Virginia vs. VCU.

If the Cavs win do they get to be UVC, then? Is it like a championship belt?
All the ham they can eat.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Julius Randle looks incredible. The Harrison twins do not. They'll need to get a lot better for UK to win a title this year.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nice to see Chane Behanan's "indefinite suspension" lasted all of one game for Louisville.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I didn't see the Kentucky game (too busy watching UVA blow the game against VCU), but Wiggins and Parker both looked legit in the late game. Man, there are some good freshmen this year.

BTW, I don't recall ever seeing a more undisciplined Duke team. And K didn't seem to mind. Yes, they are talented, and yes, they hit some of those shots ... but it's disturbing to see guys consistently taking OK shots early in the shotclock after at most one pass, when I know they could get better looks a bit later if they actually moved the ball around some. Parker has all of the skills, but he needs to learn the difference between a good shot and a really good shot (hint: deep twos with 25 seconds on the shot clock are not good).
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I would have preferred a win, obviously but I was glad that they showed some fight to come back.

Some bad turnovers that one would think can be corrected going forward and wasn't unexpected from a young group playing their first real test.

Julius Randle is a handful. Once he got settled, he was nearly unstoppable in the post.

The biggest problem was not hustling. There were 6-7 transition opportunities for MSU that out guys didn't hustle back very well. And there was a disturbing amount of Dwyane Wade/Lebron esque official bitching and not getting back on defense.

MSU did a great job of pressing forward for easy looks, and then if it wasn't there settling back into the halfcourt offense. Their transition game and our bad free throw shooting were the true differences.

Now it remains to be seen if Cal can get these guys to hustle. Randle and Alex Poythress were the most aggressive, and if the other guys can follow their lead, should be in good shape for a run in March.

Last thing is that the officials having these points of emphasis made the game hard to watch. Those handcheck fouls are terrible. I understand if its a post move or someone actively going to the basket, but there was a bunch of ticky tack calls both ways. I assume players will adjust, but it was terrible for game flow.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

AB_skin_test wrote:Last thing is that the officials having these points of emphasis made the game hard to watch. Those handcheck fouls are terrible. I understand if its a post move or someone actively going to the basket, but there was a bunch of ticky tack calls both ways. I assume players will adjust, but it was terrible for game flow.
There were 55 fouls called in the Ohio-Ohio State game last night, which seems like a metric fuckton. The MSU-UK game had 46, and VCU-UVA had 48. I understand this will go down over time as players get used to the new rules, but damn, that's going to make the college game hard to watch if the refs keep calling that many fouls.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
howard
Karl Hungus

I Love My Former Bruins, But I'm Done Defending These Niggas

Post by howard »

Matt Barnes is, and remains, a fucking loudmouth punk. Or loud-thumbed, whatever.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Duke lands this year's #1 and #4 recruits in a package deal. Somewhere, John Calipari is punching a kitten.
Totally Kafkaesque
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Here's a clip of Top 10 High School prospect Cliff Alexander announcing his commitment to Illin... Kansas, which is good for a chuckle.

Here's a clip of Illinois students watching the occasion live, celebrating, and then realizing what happened... which had me rolling. (Not for little ears)

mini puke to 1,558
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:Duke lands this year's #1 and #4 recruits in a package deal. Somewhere, John Calipari is punching a kitten.
Yeah. Duke should be pretty strong. Cal missed on next year's class for the most part, but still will have a Top 5 class. If any of this year's stick around will be ok.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Northeastern knocked off Georgetown today.

UAB and #19 New Mexico headed to double OT right now on ESPNU. Lobos had to rally in the final minute of regulation, including a buzzer-beating three.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Posting this now because a reminder might come in handy in a few months. Well . . . anyway. Marquette had their asses handed to them in the second half by New Hampshire tonight. And, no, that is not a weird misspelling of "Kentucky" or some establishment in that neighborhood. UNH genuinely beat the crap out of Marquette for a while there. I don't get a lot of America East games out here, and by that I mean none, but surely UNH has to be the best team in that conference, eh? Eh? Unless there has been a staggering power shift the likes of which went utterly unnoticed until today. Apologies if there are any Stony Brook Seawolves alums reading this.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

UVM and the Greyhounds of Albany are typically the class of that conference. No idea what Albany is supposed to be this year, but UVM was the pre-season pick.
UNH hasn't finished top half of the table in many many years.

ETA: UVM's next game is at Cameron Indoor. 140-35 is my prediction. Oh and UNH has already lost to NJIT!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote:UVM and the Greyhounds of Albany are typically the class of that conference. No idea what Albany is supposed to be this year, but UVM was the pre-season pick.
UNH hasn't finished top half of the table in many many years.

ETA: UVM's next game is at Cameron Indoor. 140-35 is my prediction. Oh and UNH has already lost to NJIT!
Aren't Albany the Great Danes? Is that a shot at the mascot?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Julius Randle will eat your lunch.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Who else had to Google "UVM"?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Aren't Albany the Great Danes? Is that a shot at the mascot?
You're correct. My apologies, I wasn't thinking, my mom would disapprove (her Masters is from SUNY-Albany.

And sorry, UVM is Vermont, yet no one in Vermont calls them the University of Vermont. It's UVM or GroovyUV.

And UVM comes from Universitas Virdis Montis, or University of the Green Mountains.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Northeastern knocked off Georgetown today.

UAB and #19 New Mexico headed to double OT right now on ESPNU. Lobos had to rally in the final minute of regulation, including a buzzer-beating three.
Watching Georgetown and Kansas State was torturous.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

UVM down 8 at the half @ Duke. Colour my impressed (Catamounts shot almost 70% in the first half!)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Catamounts losing by one at Cameron. Good game gents.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This is the worst defensive Duke basketball team in a loooong time. Damn, they are good on offense, but nearly equally as bad on D. My guess is that K will shore that up, but it's going to cost them some surprising losses, I think.

(I just checked and Pomeroy has Duke's D at #48 and that's BEFORE tonight's shitfest against a mediocre Vermont team.)
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

No blood, no foul is only the case in the contiguous 48 states. From the Maui Invitational...

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Remember how I said Duke's D was awful? I checked Pomeroy's ratings this morning and the Blue Devils have plummeted to #28! It's all because of their D. Duke's offense is #1 in the country - by a pretty wide margin, but their defense ranks #177.

On the other hand, UNC shot up from #26 to #10 with their win over Louisville.

I think it's fair to say that KenPom's ratings are still a little volatile this early in the season.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Terps top assistant resigns (had been taking a break after a DUI). That means everyone moves up the ladder and a new guy to the bench. Welcome back to Terp Land Juan Dixon.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... uan-dixon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So Terps top assistant resigns (had been taking a break after a DUI). That means everyone moves up the ladder and a new guy to the bench. Welcome back to Terp Land Juan Dixon.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... uan-dixon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You mean third DUI in five years
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Records set in last night's 4OT game between the UK and Baylor women:
Combined points 263
Combined FTM 82
Combined FTA 112
Combined fouls 82
Combined points in OT 83
Points by losing team 130
Points in OT period UK, 43 (tied)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

With my deep and abiding love of free throws (with proper form!), I am so sorry I missed this last night (for NIU/BGSU).

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

That Colorado buzzer beater almost looked like traveling
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Also, Missouri may be one of the most underrated teams in the country. They have flaws, and they're not upper echelon, but much better than I think people realized.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Much better than UCLA realized.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Andrew Wiggins is good. Just nailed three long three pointers to pull Kansas within five of the Gators.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

If Kentucky can win only one "rivalry" game each year for me, it's the UNC game. I'm more hyped for that than seeing my brother's horse make it's second start today.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist