Miami Condo

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Miami Condo

Post by Giff »

I have no idea where in Miami GPJ lives, but would like to hear he's OK.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Re: Miami Condo

Post by mister d »

That video (not linking here) is terrifying. Its a mix of "how can that just happen" and being surprised it doesn't happen more often.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 am I have no idea where in Miami GPJ lives, but would like to hear he's OK.
If white pages is right, he's about 10 miles away.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OK good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hope his dick is ok then
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

JFC!

How could anyone survive this?

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

One kid did! Before I saw that video, I assumed way less of that building had actually fallen. How the fuck does that happen without a demo team?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

He tweeted about some crap ass wide receiver a few hours ago so I think he's okay.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Every news update makes this sound worse and worse. Could end up the most deadly singular event in the US since the Vegas shooting in 2017 (60) or the Great White fire in 2003 (100).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

America is a third-world country in just about everything other than military spending.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:24 pm Every news update makes this sound worse and worse. Could end up the most deadly singular event in the US since the Vegas shooting in 2017 (60) or the Great White fire in 2003 (100).
One of my good friends lost his brother in the Station Nightclub fire. His brother had been living in RI (may have been MA), but he had recently taken his son and moved back to FL because of his wife’s heroin abuse. He was back in New England as part of an agreed-upon contingent with her family convening from around the country to confront her about her drug problem. He went to the concert because the phone rang (a friend with an extra). He never made it out alive. A ceiling beam fell on him and crushed his back. His brothers take solace in the fact he likely died instantly.

Though they do not like the fact his wife was awarded the settlement for his death, they did fight her for custody of her son and won. Last I knew she’s still a junkie somewhere in New England.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:08 pm America is a third-world country in just about everything other than military spending.
The thousand dollar question is how many other buildings in south Florida that were built in that same timeframe (building was erected in 1980) are going through similar deterioration. There was a paradigm shift in building codes and their enforcement after Hurricane Andrew (1991) taught us that buildings from that timeframe fared worse than buildings from previous generations.
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 am
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 am I have no idea where in Miami GPJ lives, but would like to hear he's OK.
That is correct. Damn they already got my address
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:11 pm
I've been looking up GPJ and Business Horse in the White Pages and coming up empty. I'm starting to think neither of those are your real name.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:00 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:11 pm
I've been looking up GPJ and Business Horse in the White Pages and coming up empty. I'm starting to think neither of those are your real name.
Ahhhh, yes - you should have looked for Gunpowder Horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:19 pm JFC!

How could anyone survive this?

Oh my god. I hadn't seen that.

Horrifying.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

In America, in the 21st Century. This probably was what life was like in Spain in the 50s or Hungary in the 60s or North korea today. Jesus Fucking Christ!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:45 pm
In America, in the 21st Century. This probably was what life was like in Spain in the 50s or Hungary in the 60s or North korea today. Jesus Fucking Christ!
For as much as Republicans rail against the "Chinese Community Party", they sure do like to appropriate their methods.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:55 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:45 pm
For as much as Republicans rail against the "Chinese Community Party", they sure do like to appropriate their methods.
They might as well start wearing armbands.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sounds like Venice without the charm.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Life saved by being horny...

He wanted to head home to Champlain Towers. His girlfriend wanted him to stay. She may have saved his life.
Erick De Moura woke up at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday to use the bathroom. He was at his girlfriend’s house — a rare occurrence on a weeknight — and walked into the kitchen to get his phone.

That’s when he saw all the calls and text messages.

One text in particular stood out — it was from Rochelle, a doorman supervisor at his building on Collins Avenue in Surfside, Fla., asking if he was okay.

“Oh, my God, you’re alive,” Rochelle said to De Moura, 40, when she answered his call.

“What do you mean I’m alive?” he responded in a sleepy haze.

“The building collapsed,” she said.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Id like to know where one gets $997 million in proceeds to payoff that settlement. No way a condo association has that kind of limits. Maybe adding together a bunch of individual units policies but probably not more than a million per would think. Says 135 units. Can you still sue a builder that long ago? City maybe? Prior engineers?
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

The story breaks down who owes what.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Thanks. Learning something today. Cant even conceive of how a security company is liable. Biggest amount too. Failed to evacuate? Faulty alarms maybe.

Securitas USA, the security company that provided guard services, managed visitor access and operated safety systems at Champlain South, settled for the largest amount, in the neighborhood of $500 million.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm Thanks. Learning something today. Cant even conceive of how a security company is liable. Biggest amount too. Failed to evacuate? Faulty alarms maybe.

Securitas USA, the security company that provided guard services, managed visitor access and operated safety systems at Champlain South, settled for the largest amount, in the neighborhood of $500 million.
Probably because they were tasked with not only providing security to the residents, but also the building structure itself.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:16 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm Thanks. Learning something today. Cant even conceive of how a security company is liable. Biggest amount too. Failed to evacuate? Faulty alarms maybe.

Probably because they were tasked with not only providing security to the residents, but also the building structure itself.
Re: the bolded - no fucking way. That's not what Securitas remotely has expertise in.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AH, here we go - I had to go to a second article. THIS is why Securitas kicked over $500 million...

The fire alarm was triggered seven full minutes before the tower fell, giving residents on any floor ample time to escape had they acted quickly. But no one interviewed by the Herald heard a siren warning them to evacuate the building. The alarm is not sounding in the background of videos and emergency calls from inside the tower at the time.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/specia ... rylink=cpy
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I might sign up for the podcast that pops up on those articles.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:06 pm

Re: the bolded - no fucking way. That's not what Securitas remotely has expertise in.
I guess they don't, but a lot of companies specializing in security also include facilities mgmt in their profile. I mean, somebody was in charge of verifying the towers' integrity, right? I suppose I'm coming from the perspective of a company who views protecting its assets as a business critical functionality (data security).

They're just people, amirite?
Noli Timere Messorem
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:27 pm I might sign up for the podcast that pops up on those articles.
I've been watching this guy's videos on the collapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0UtmbRAL9M

He also does a good job on the leaning Millennium Tower in San Francisco.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Baloney wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:27 pm I might sign up for the podcast that pops up on those articles.
I've been watching this guy's videos on the collapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0UtmbRAL9M

He also does a good job on the leaning Millennium Tower in San Francisco.
I hadn't heard about this. So I googled.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/le ... -rcna11389

Oh shit. I think in Pisa they corrected its situation by digging out the opposite side. I don't think that would fix this though.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:41 pm

I guess they don't, but a lot of companies specializing in security also include facilities mgmt in their profile. I mean, somebody was in charge of verifying the towers' integrity, right? I suppose I'm coming from the perspective of a company who views protecting its assets as a business critical functionality (data security).

Why would a security guard firm be responsible for licensed civil engineering type work?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:45 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:41 pm

Why would a security guard firm be responsible for licensed civil engineering type work?
Granted, not all contracts are the same, they're more than a security guard firm.

A simple look at their website says that. As for civil engineering? That falls under building safety.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The answer is securitas fucked up re: the fire alarm being triggered seven minutes before collapse but not sounding. Alarms would be part of what a security company is very much responsible for .
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:19 pm The answer is securitas fucked up re: the fire alarm being triggered seven minutes before collapse but not sounding. Alarms would be part of what a security company is very much responsible for .
The reality is more complicated than that. The judgement is held against Securitas though.
Noli Timere Messorem