Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Shirley »

I actually think Sybian has a good point. When I first read that idiots were going to feed stores to get dewormer to treat COVID, I was shocked (well, maybe not really anymore) at how stupid that sounds. But then I wondered why they thought it would work and who was spreading that info. Looking into a bit, I saw that Ivermectin is actually considered an anti-viral drug as well as being a dewormer. And there are trials going on in various places with actual doctors treating Covid patients with it.

So, it's not quite as completely crazy as it initially sounds. It could actually be that it works. Probably not, but could be. Now, that doesn't excuse the crazies who heard a rumor and then went to go take horse pills instead of just getting vaccinated, but still.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 am I actually think Sybian has a good point. When I first read that idiots were going to feed stores to get dewormer to treat COVID, I was shocked (well, maybe not really anymore) at how stupid that sounds. But then I wondered why they thought it would work and who was spreading that info. Looking into a bit, I saw that Ivermectin is actually considered an anti-viral drug as well as being a dewormer. And there are trials going on in various places with actual doctors treating Covid patients with it.

So, it's not quite as completely crazy as it initially sounds. It could actually be that it works. Probably not, but could be. Now, that doesn't excuse the crazies who heard a rumor and then went to go take horse pills instead of just getting vaccinated, but still.
Yeah, the bolded is where the story is. The same people who don't trust putting the vaccine in them will buy horse meds. I saw a great Jordan Klepper clip interviewing people at an anti-vax rally. Woman railing about not trusting putting a new vaccine in her body while she is sucking down a cigarette. Klepper is amazing at making these people look foolish with their own words and circling them into logical inconsistencies. He should have been a law professor.

I wish I posted some of the headlines from news agencies that were coming up on a Google search. Incredibly sensational headlines that made it seem like the jail doc was performing sick Dr. Moreau experiments. Mostly local news. Now the Google search is dominated by larger outlets, and seems more balanced, but I still can't tell if he was giving human meds or animal meds. Several headlines cut off, Yahoo! News reads as "Arkansas jail gave inmates animal parasite..." My fear, and not just in this case but in every story, is people latching on to the false or exaggerated premise. If Ivermectin (the human intended form) is actually proven effective against COVID, people will refuse to believe and refuse to take it, because they believe it's a horse de-wormer. Doctors could become afraid to prescribe it because patients will freak out and trash their reputation.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:15 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 am I actually think Sybian has a good point. When I first read that idiots were going to feed stores to get dewormer to treat COVID, I was shocked (well, maybe not really anymore) at how stupid that sounds. But then I wondered why they thought it would work and who was spreading that info. Looking into a bit, I saw that Ivermectin is actually considered an anti-viral drug as well as being a dewormer. And there are trials going on in various places with actual doctors treating Covid patients with it.

Yeah, the bolded is where the story is. The same people who don't trust putting the vaccine in them will buy horse meds. I saw a great Jordan Klepper clip interviewing people at an anti-vax rally. Woman railing about not trusting putting a new vaccine in her body while she is sucking down a cigarette. Klepper is amazing at making these people look foolish with their own words and circling them into logical inconsistencies. He should have been a law professor.

I wish I posted some of the headlines from news agencies that were coming up on a Google search. Incredibly sensational headlines that made it seem like the jail doc was performing sick Dr. Moreau experiments. Mostly local news. Now the Google search is dominated by larger outlets, and seems more balanced, but I still can't tell if he was giving human meds or animal meds. Several headlines cut off, Yahoo! News reads as "Arkansas jail gave inmates animal parasite..." My fear, and not just in this case but in every story, is people latching on to the false or exaggerated premise. If Ivermectin (the human intended form) is actually proven effective against COVID, people will refuse to believe and refuse to take it, because they believe it's a horse de-wormer. Doctors could become afraid to prescribe it because patients will freak out and trash their reputation.
Doctors-gone-rogue tend to not care about their reputations. As you may or may not be aware, Ivermectin is a suspect-at-best treatment for COVID that lacks FDA approval. The doctors (as best as I can tell) that administer this drug cater to an at best third world population (in the first world, mind you) and at worst a rightwing anti-vax crowd.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, early Sunday morning, we're at my wife's stepmother's house, planning to be on the way to visit my mom for a few days in about four hours. My mom calls me to let me know the facility where she is rehabbing is shut down to visitors because someone who was arrested in the town tested positive for COVID (I cannot explain any better than that, I never got any better description). A couple hours later, she lets me know that they will honor our appointment and we will be able to spend some time with her outside. The forecasted high was 88 degrees. She said she wanted us to visit, so, fuck it, we're going and we'll see what happens.

We get to spend about 90 minutes with her outside that afternoon (hooray, canopy shade and light breeze) and we figure a repeat is the worst that we'll get each of the next two days (with slightly hotter temperatures). But, I talk to her Monday morning and she's going to talk to the supervisors on site about the possibility of having us just pick her up and take her back to the AirBnB.

And it comes through. (I can't claim to understand the policies of the place, they knew my mom had an asymptomatic case late last fall and was vaccinated in the winter, that my wife and I were vaccinated, but our kids are not, and yet, they would not accept visitors, but allowed us to take her offsite.)

A little bit of a holdup with the paperwork on Monday afternoon when we arrive to pick her up after her second session of physical therapy, but we got her back to the house and she managed the steps pretty well, so we planned on doing it again. And Tuesday was smooth sailing.

Had her at the house for about five hours each day, including dinner. She's doing pretty well with the walker (I'd give her somewhere around a 6) and is anxious to get back down to using just a cane soon now that she's back at her apartment.

Goddamn, it was nice to get a win out of this, the third attempt to see her in the last two months.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Glad you got a chance to see her and that she is doing well.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So glad to hear you could spend that time with her.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nice to see things finally work out for you visiting your mother, DSafe.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Glad you got a win.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Really glad to read that DSafe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Glad to hear, DSafe.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That sounds really great, DSafe.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Glad things worked out D'Safe!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Interesting thread about the Horse Dewormer....

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is really disturbing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:17 pm Interesting thread about the Horse Dewormer....

That explains the disconnect. Holy shit. We are SO fucked.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Did you read what DiS posted just above?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 am

Well, I have now. It doesn't really change what I wrote though, except that now I no longer wonder where the crazies are hearing about it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That tweet thread is just wild to read and I don't know whether to be disgusted and shake my head or just laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Some people just don't deserve pity.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:52 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 am

Well, I have now. It doesn't really change what I wrote though, except that now I no longer wonder where the crazies are hearing about it.
My guess is they are confusing reports of doctors prescribing the drug in human form and thinking they can buy horse paste and get the same results. Hopefully they can monitor the results where it's being widely used like India and South America and we can get a better idea of whether it works. A big problem in testing from what I'm reading, is that it's usually combined with other treatments like zinc, so you don't really know what is causing treatment to work.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

OK, the replies to this are absolute comic fire...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This guy got his freedom to die from a (now) preventable disease. Kudos, Braveheart.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:08 am OK, the replies to this are absolute comic fire...

So are the replies to this Tweet. This woman is a moron.

-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:08 am OK, the replies to this are absolute comic fire...

So are the replies to this Tweet. This woman is a moron.

She makes shit up. I assume she is paid to do so by...whoever the fuck is paying people to lie for their job nowadays.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gotta be a tribute band named Rage Against the Vaccine.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 pm Gotta be a tribute band named Rage Against the Vaccine.
This is gold.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:06 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 pm Gotta be a tribute band named Rage Against the Vaccine.
This is gold.
Yes, except the idea of someone even trying that makes me angry. Unless of course it was intended as a clear mockery of those idiots.
Totally Kafkaesque
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:06 pm
This is gold.
FREEDOM!!!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Paul Kruger has his detractors, but he's hit a couple moonshots in his past two OpEds.

Snake Oil Theory of the Modern Right, and The Buying of the American Mind.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In terms of the number of lives it would probably save, Joe Rogan dying from COVID is probably a best possible scenario from an ethical perspective.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am In terms of the number of lives it would probably save, Joe Rogan dying from COVID is probably a best possible scenario from an ethical perspective.
You’re not cynical enough. If Rogan dies, the false flag will be raised.

Remember, Sandy Hook never happened.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am In terms of the number of lives it would probably save, Joe Rogan dying from COVID is probably a best possible scenario from an ethical perspective.
From a hilarity perspective too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't know, are there a couple of Republican Senators from solidly blue states?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, do we think Rogan is actually taking Ivermectin to treat his Covid, or just saying that for the attention and controversy?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:26 am
So, do we think Rogan is actually taking Ivermectin to treat his Covid, or just saying that for the attention and controversy?
One of my wife's idiot friends just got COVID and is taking Ivermectin. He says he started feeling better immediately though I assume that's because his body would have started to beat back the infection then anyway and/or the placebo effect.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm guessing he is taking the pills intended for humans, not horse paste. He preaches vitamin D, exercise and weight loss for obese people to improve their odds if they get COVID. Despite all the media proclamations, he is pro-vax and tells people with comorbidities they should get vax'd, he just thinks that since he is healthy, he doesn't need a vaccine. I've read about lots of healthy people dying, so I can't imagine banking on my immune system to carry me through when a highly effective vaccine with very low risk side effects is readily available. Actually, I tell myself and my wife all the time that I'm healthy and have a strong immune system, so she doesn't worry about me getting COVID. I try not to worry too much about getting it, but I still take all the precautions I can and got the vaccine.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:34 pm
I'm guessing he is taking the pills intended for humans, not horse paste. He preaches vitamin D, exercise and weight loss for obese people to improve their odds if they get COVID. Despite all the media proclamations, he is pro-vax and tells people with comorbidities they should get vax'd, he just thinks that since he is healthy, he doesn't need a vaccine. I've read about lots of healthy people dying, so I can't imagine banking on my immune system to carry me through when a highly effective vaccine with very low risk side effects is readily available. Actually, I tell myself and my wife all the time that I'm healthy and have a strong immune system, so she doesn't worry about me getting COVID. I try not to worry too much about getting it, but I still take all the precautions I can and got the vaccine.
Bolded part is why it would probably save tens of thousands of lives if he died.