Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian »

A couple weeks ago we went to a soccer tournament in VA, so spent 2 nights eating all meals out. Until now, we've eaten inside a restaurant once since the pandemic started. We kind of gave up on our usual protocols. Hung out in the hotel bar and went to restaurants without masks. Spent 4 or 5 hours at a team dinner/party in a small conference room with 40 or so people... A few days later I came down with one of the worst colds I've ever had. I didn't have any of the COVID symptoms other than the typical cold symptoms like congestion, sneezing, runny nose, etc... Got tested just to make sure since my in-laws were coming to a school soccer game and my FiL isn't in the best shape.

Tests were negative, and I never thought I had COVID, but since we traveled and weren't as cautious as normal, and it's now easy to get an appointment, what the hell, right? Plus there isn't even a copay! Anyways, I realized this is the first cold I've had since very early pandemic days, so obviously the social distancing and masking works. I usually get 4 colds a year. I'm also wondering if there is any truth the the idea that masking and distancing weakens our immune systems from a lack of exposure. Trip was 3 weeks ago, symptoms started a two days after we got back, and I'm still a little congested and waking up to sinuses full of yellow mucus. Maybe I caught a bad strain of cold, or maybe my system got soft and weak.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife and I have been together nearly 20 years. I can count on one hand the times she's been "stay in bed" sick. She was down for almost a week last month. All 3 COVID tests came back negative.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

While very obviously not a doctor I think there's something to the idea that 18 months of masking and social distancing has left us more vulnerable to cold viruses. I had a pretty bad one myself a few months ago and thought it might have been COVID except I didn't have any breathing issues and wasn't especially sore anywhere.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am While very obviously not a doctor I think there's something to the idea that 18 months of masking and social distancing has left us more vulnerable to cold viruses. I had a pretty bad one myself a few months ago and thought it might have been COVID except I didn't have any breathing issues and wasn't especially sore anywhere.
I very much agree with this as your immune system isn't being "tested" regularly so to speak. Just casual observation and a couple college Bio classes here though.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I guess the upside of having a wife who has many friends in the medical community is that one of those friends' pediatrician is coming to their house with several doses of vaccine and our kids are invited to the party.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kids will never stay up for another dinner party
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:17 pm Kids will never stay up for another dinner party
At that age, just give me some pizza and pop and I'll take your shot.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:53 pm I guess the upside of having a wife who has many friends in the medical community is that one of those friends' pediatrician is coming to their house with several doses of vaccine and our kids are invited to the party.
That’s awesome news - congrats!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:53 pm I guess the upside of having a wife who has many friends in the medical community is that one of those friends' pediatrician is coming to their house with several doses of vaccine and our kids are invited to the party.
When we were kids, parents threw chicken pox parties, now we have vaccine parties. Fucking Boomers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

11 has some arm soreness, 6 is absolutely normal.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bartenders working they ass off. Good tips today. covid over with the double dose.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:07 am 11 has some arm soreness, 6 is absolutely normal.
They were both fine on Sunday. Day after Thanksgiving is going to be a good day.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great DSG
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Both scheduled for this Friday.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Our dad of our company's CEO is a pretty renowned epidemiologist and he said anyone who is six months out from their vaccine date should get the booster, regardless of any additional health complications. Apparently more and more data is showing the efficacy really starts to wane after six months.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife's HD held its first booster clinic last week. I took the day "off" to work and got paid via booster shot. Other than a little arm soreness I was fine. My wife felt like shit the next day and wasn't completely back to normal until well into day 2.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:57 pm Our dad of our company's CEO is a pretty renowned epidemiologist and he said anyone who is six months out from their vaccine date should get the booster, regardless of any additional health complications. Apparently more and more data is showing the efficacy really starts to wane after six months.
Depends on which shot presumably. Got kicked out of the study. Thought it became how many of these guys get sick without a booster. They did offer it last week but I'd already run by the cvs. Did get pretty decent sick too. Worse than the second dose. Didn't get covid by about month 13 post moderna fwiw.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:25 pm
brian wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:57 pm Our dad of our company's CEO is a pretty renowned epidemiologist and he said anyone who is six months out from their vaccine date should get the booster, regardless of any additional health complications. Apparently more and more data is showing the efficacy really starts to wane after six months.
Depends on which shot presumably. Got kicked out of the study. Thought it became how many of these guys get sick without a booster. They did offer it last week but I'd already run by the cvs. Did get pretty decent sick too. Worse than the second dose. Didn't get covid by about month 13 post moderna fwiw.
His take was if it has been six months, get a booster regardless of which of the three you received.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Wife is refusing. I'll tell her
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yes. This. That's why I jumped as quick as I did on getting my booster.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

and...was glad as fuck I did. Last Monday about 12 of my group gathered in a conference room for lunch around my immediate boss's 60th birthday. I sat next to one of our paralegals. Two days later email comes out that she has Covid (allegedly she is vaccinated making this a breakthrough case). If I had NOT been 3 or so week past my booster I would have been in a bit of a panic, given proximity, closed room, and eating...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Ok, seriously fuck Dennis Prager with the dildo from Se7en.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've asked numerous times about a booster. I was fully vaxxed back in March, so I'm due.

Problem is there's been not real guidance for getting one from a military standpoint.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:44 pm Ok, seriously fuck Dennis Prager with the dildo from Se7en.
What I'm referring to:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just got my booster (third) moderna jab!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:09 pm Just got my booster (third) moderna jab!
How you feeling? I had my Pfizer booster test afternoon and around 24 hours later, today around 4:30, I just gelt KO’d and went to bed for a spell.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Get my Pfizer tomorrow.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:41 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:09 pm Just got my booster (third) moderna jab!
How you feeling? I had my Pfizer booster test afternoon and around 24 hours later, today around 4:30, I just gelt KO’d and went to bed for a spell.
Feel pretty good today. Just a bit of a sore arm. I did take a little nap. But that happens many days.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:41 pm
Same thing happened to my wife. Fine the day of and then was out yesterday.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You have to click through to find out the whole story but JFC, this is like the nightmare scenario:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In case you're wondering who is gonna mostly die in this winter's COVID surge:

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

First two Pfizer shots in April. Boosted with Moderna last night. No side effects, and my arm isn't nearly as sore as I remember after shot 2.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Moderna booster last night. No issues so far. Pharmacist said there has been a high turnout for vaccines with the holidays coming.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So would virtually no available appointments in the next week anywhere near me be a reflection of the demand, or just drug stores not having things together yet?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 am So would virtually no available appointments in the next week anywhere near me be a reflection of the demand, or just drug stores not having things together yet?
That’s really odd. I scheduled my daughter’s booster yesterday and there was tons of availability. Maybe they don get to the wilds of New Hampshire.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 am So would virtually no available appointments in the next week anywhere near me be a reflection of the demand, or just drug stores not having things together yet?
Check with Pruitt and degen on how things run in Canada.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just back from getting my Pfizer booster. Completely efficient setup in the Amazon HQ. In and out in 15 minutes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feel like I have a little cold and headache. Gonna nap.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I found out from my mum today that my dumbass brother who refuses to get vaccinated got Covid. Apparently, he is over it now and feeling healthy again.

As faithful readers may recall, my parents and my wife and I all told him that we weren't going to see him for Christmas if he didn't get vaccinated. But, now that he's had Covid, he argued to my mother that he has the necessary antibodies in his system, so we should all feel comfortable celebrating Christmas with his wife and him (his wife is vaccinated).

My first inclination is to hold the line, but my mother is now starting to relent. Which puts pressure on me to relent. What do you guys think?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 pm So, I found out from my mum today that my dumbass brother who refuses to get vaccinated got Covid. Apparently, he is over it now and feeling healthy again.

As faithful readers may recall, my parents and my wife and I all told him that we weren't going to see him for Christmas if he didn't get vaccinated. But, now that he's had Covid, he argued to my mother that he has the necessary antibodies in his system, so we should all feel comfortable celebrating Christmas with his wife and him (his wife is vaccinated).

My first inclination is to hold the line, but my mother is now starting to relent. Which puts pressure on me to relent. What do you guys think?
I'd ask to see proof that he actually tested positive for COVID, but if he does and he did then I'd probably relent. For the time being he's probably as "safe" as someone who is vaccinated, though that won't last forever.