Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Re: NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote:
Rams Fanny wrote:
brian wrote:After all these years and example after example after example about how titles aren't won with splashy free agent acquisitions, why the hell does anyone get excited about this crap anymore?
Allow me to explain using the Rams as the example. Team needs in order of importance are: DBs (especially S), OL, OLB, and if they stumble on a WR, great. Over last week, the team freed up 15M in cap space by getting rid of two starting OL and a CB. First day of FA without a move as a ton of DBs went seemingly everywhere but to the Rams. Don't see a DB you like? Fine. Let's address the holes in the O-line. Crickets. Not one position addressed and they let three starters go in the last week. Teams getting Free Agents are filling holes and/are improving. Only hysterical fans jump to the conclusion the Super Bowl is won in March, but for fans of teams looking to make a step forward, we would like them to do SOMETHING.

Unless of course that something is Golden Tate. Great talent but that locker room is going to have more divas than a Grammys audience. Good luck with that.
I think (assume) the Rams are of the mindset they're going to build through the draft and not try to overspend in FA, which given the division they play in and their stockpile of picks is pretty damn smart. They're the poster child for a franchise that shouldn't need to break the bank in FA to overpay mediocre players who are free agents for a reason. The best teams use FA to target undervalued players for depth (and I'm obviously not including the Lions as an example of a team that is smart about FA).
But the point is they are nowhere near the point of simply adding depth. They need Starters. Draft is fine but it is the height of naivety to try to fill multiple holes that way. Not saying spend all the freed money but they have to do something. The quality of FAs isn't going up as the days pass....
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
howard
Karl Hungus

FA Update

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rams Fanny wrote:
But the point is they are nowhere near the point of simply adding depth. They need Starters. Draft is fine but it is the height of naivety to try to fill multiple holes that way. Not saying spend all the freed money but they have to do something. The quality of FAs isn't going up as the days pass....
There are plenty of starters left. The only names signing so far have been resignings and the huge names. StL isn't going to win players with just $$ when there are $$ and chance of a ring teams out there still.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The per-dollar value of FA signings goes way up as days pass
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Just saw on the FSN2 ticker the Dolphins traded T Jonathan Martin to San Francisco for an undisclosed draft pick. Probably the best for all parties involved.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:Just saw on the FSN2 ticker the Dolphins traded T Jonathan Martin to San Francisco for an undisclosed draft pick. Probably the best for all parties involved.
Jim Harbaugh was his college coach at Stanford, and in November, Harbaugh went to bat for Martin and vouched on his behalf to the investigators.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Revis to NE for a year at $12 mill.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Sabo wrote:\
Well, the Browns didn't wait for Monday. He was cut today.

ETA: They also released Jason Campbell.
I really think they're the best spot for Manziel, but maybe I'm crazy.
Just guessing, but I think the Texans will bow to local pressure and take Manziel before the Browns get their chance.
Houston is the worst spot for Manziel. I think he needs to get out of that bubble.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
The ONLY difference in games played is Amendola tore the fuck out of his knee otherwise basically the same number of games missed. If being a fanboy means seeing the logic in not spending shitloads of small open cap when the team has other needs then by all means I'm a fan boy. Why don't you try not being such an ass?
Elbow. Slight difference.

From a franchise point of view, the Patriots do a great job of finding value. I'm not disputing that the Broncos overpaid for Talib at all. I'm going to enjoy the teardown of the franchise in two years when they have to get out of cap hell. I'm merely finding the continued combination of your Patriot love and Bronco hatred that results in overexcitement funny.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote: I'm merely finding the continued combination of your Patriot love and Bronco hatred that results in overexcitement funny.

I'd have felt the same exact way about the money that Talib got if he signed with a CFL team. He's a very good player, it's just that he's only that player when completely healthy, when he gets dinged he doesn't play the same way, and he gets dinged every year. Add to this the attitude that he had when he wasn't in NE and he's really not worth the money. I don't think that Denver has the same structure that is present in NE. Hell their best player got busted for doing something (most likely smoking pot) and while suspended gets caught speeding like a motherfucker..those mountain roads are fun to drive! Aside from Peyton, there isn't really any veteran presence in Denver. I can see why they spent the money I just think that it's unwise.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It was MDMA and I'm sure you realize this but Denver has regular roads too. If you actually think Miller was speeding around mountains than you're worse than I originally thought.

Speaking of contrasting arrests with support structures, one of NE's guys WAS A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL HITMAN.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Looked it up, he was cited for going 38 in a 25 with a suspended license. If you actually think this has something to do with a support structure, than you are worse than I thought.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Whoops, this criminal we drafted got a DUI in spite of our culture!!!

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... d-dui-case" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please go on about the veteran-laden roster there that enabled Talib to thrive.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Looks like the Raiders pulled the plug on the Saffold deal, Orioles-style. Probably a good move since that money was ridiculous for a guy who isn't very good.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote:Whoops, this criminal we drafted got a DUI in spite of our culture!!!

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... d-dui-case" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How the hell did he even play last year anyway? Isn't getting arrested while you're on probation like automatic jail?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote:Looks like the Raiders pulled the plug on the Saffold deal, Orioles-style. Probably a good move since that money was ridiculous for a guy who isn't very good.
What are your thoughts on Mitchell? I honestly don't think I ever even heard of him. I know Carolina's D was really good last year.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gunpowder wrote:Looks like the Raiders pulled the plug on the Saffold deal, Orioles-style. Probably a good move since that money was ridiculous for a guy who isn't very good.
And he ended up back with Rams.

Now Rams Fan has to take back the bad stuff he said about him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:
What are your thoughts on Mitchell? I honestly don't think I ever even heard of him. I know Carolina's D was really good last year.

I've never liked him, but the board is convinced that it's a good deal. The contract structure is very team friendly. It's essentially a 2 year, $8 mil deal and they can keep him around year-to-year after that if he does well.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote:
And he ended up back with Rams.

Now Rams Fan has to take back the bad stuff he said about him.

He's a decent piece IF he's paid commensurately with his value.

Is commensurately a word?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I will say yes.

Also, I have no idea what a good value is anymore in this landscape. The Broncos are signing people like they are printing money and the salary cap doesn't apply to them.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Gunpowder wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
I've never liked him, but the board is convinced that it's a good deal. The contract structure is very team friendly. It's essentially a 2 year, $8 mil deal and they can keep him around year-to-year after that if he does well.
I saw him play a lot in college. He played at strong safety at OU, was drafted in the second round by the Raiders but never made it as a starter there. Moved to free safety at Carolina. He's a hard hitter with a bit of a nasty streak. He was a ball hawk in college but he hasn't shown that skill in the NFL, although he had three or four interceptions last year. He's not the fastest safety but is a good blitzer. He publicly called out Roger Goodell about some fines he received for some of his hits and/or personal fouls last year. He's a smart guy who won't get in trouble off the field.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote:
Jerloma wrote:

So what do you think their plans are for Thomas? Back-up and Dime?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote: So what do you think their plans are for Thomas? Back-up and Dime?

Probably, although back-up safety is an important position (see: Ryan Mundy). I imagine he'll still see the field.

Still wish they had that 3rd rounder this year, though. Trading a round ahead next year never works out (like Alphonso Smith, eh Sancarlos?)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:Looked it up, he was cited for going 38 in a 25 with a suspended license. If you actually think this has something to do with a support structure, than you are worse than I thought.

There was at least one other time that he was driving 120 or so near Castle Rock. What this has to do with support structure was that while already suspended you should try to keep your nose clean and not get caught speeding..or driving with a suspended license.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:Whoops, this criminal we drafted got a DUI in spite of our culture!!!

And Dennard's arrest was BS. Basically boils down to a guy being highlighted by the Lincoln police.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:It was MDMA and I'm sure you realize this but Denver has regular roads too. If you actually think Miller was speeding around mountains than you're worse than I originally thought.

Speaking of contrasting arrests with support structures, one of NE's guys WAS A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL HITMAN.
When I last gave a shit about what he was ingesting it was supposedly pot, good thing he did an even more controlled substance. One his traffic violations was on I-70 which amazingly is an interstate that runs through the mountains, and is fun to drive on, especially fast.

As for Hernandez the support structure was in place. But the problem is that dude was fucking crazy.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Rush2112 wrote:

And Dennard's arrest was BS. Basically boils down to a guy being highlighted by the Lincoln police.
How do you know that? Plus, Dennard was a star CB at Nebraska? Aren't those dudes like gods in Lincoln?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jerloma wrote: How do you know that? Plus, Dennard was a star CB at Nebraska? Aren't those dudes like gods in Lincoln?

He was initially arrested for mistakenly hitting a police officer, and happens to be a black man, in Lincoln. If everyone was pulled over for having couple of beers I think a few more of us would have suspicion of DUI charges against us.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:

Was he not drinking in driving through Nebraska while on probation? I'll look for more info. Because even if he was drinking a little bit and the arrest was BS, he should be trying to keep his nose clean.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:
Jerloma wrote: How do you know that? Plus, Dennard was a star CB at Nebraska? Aren't those dudes like gods in Lincoln?

He was initially arrested for mistakenly hitting a police officer, and happens to be a black man, in Lincoln. If everyone was pulled over for having couple of beers I think a few more of us would have suspicion of DUI charges against us.

Not talking about the initial arrest, which happened while he was barfighting just like the rest of us. I want to know why he doesn't have to keep his nose clean but Von Miller getting pulled over without a license is indicative of a culture that exists everywhere outside of New England.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Bills fans, any info on Alex Carrington? Is he good at football?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:Not talking about the initial arrest, which happened while he was barfighting just like the rest of us. I want to know why he doesn't have to keep his nose clean but Von Miller getting pulled over without a license is indicative of a culture that exists everywhere outside of New England.
I never said that "it exists everywhere else" I just cited NE as a culture that typically helps players keep their noses clean. The difference between Miller and Dennard is that one is at best a CB2 and the other is supposedly a team leader.

All this boils down to that it'll interesting to see how Talib performs off the field on a team that he is one of the "elder statesmen."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:Bills fans, any info on Alex Carrington? Is he good at football?
You don't know? I thought you were the second coming of Adam Schefter.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote:Bills fans, any info on Alex Carrington? Is he good at football?
Why...did we sign him?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rush2112 wrote:
Nah, that's probably the one on the left.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:

Adam Schefter reports news. He's not an analyst.

I mean burn!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:
Why...did we sign him?

They are hosting him today.

No word on the kind of support structure he'll need to not shoot at people.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:

Wow, I wasn't going to weigh in, but you are taking fanboydom to a new level. You are challenging police officers' decisions on whether to arrest/cite a guy or not? And somehow find that a bronco driving 38 mph is "failing to keep his nose clean," but a DUI while on probation is somehow acceptable? Really? If I'm on probation, I'm not driving 5 hours after drinking one beer.

While I think there is something to Belichick's ability to keep problem players in line, you are very quick to blow off the examples of Pats getting into trouble, while blaming every incident by a Bronco as being an institutional problem. Hernandez kills a dude? Eh, what could the Pats do. Just a crazy dude. DUI and punching a cop? Eh, a misunderstanding that could happen to any of us. Driving 38mph? Holy fuck, the Broncos are out of control!!!! I would hazard a guess that Swampers have violated the speed limit in a 25 far more often than driving above the blood alcohol limits.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Notice how Syb doesn't even bring up the rapey Jew?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:Notice how Syb doesn't even bring up the rapey Jew?

That guy's a star now because Belichick's a genius.