Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 pm Why was that Book of Boba Fett episode 5? It was great, but why??
I’m guessing it was to set the stage for season 3 of The Mandalorian.
[+] spoiler
I’m guessing The Mandalorian will be used as a plot device in The Book of Boba Fett, not only as ‘muscle’ for Fett’s enclave, but also to further setup S3 (I’m guessing we’ll get an update on Grogu too).
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 pm Why was that Book of Boba Fett episode 5? It was great, but why??
because this is the way.......

Also Bryce Dallas Howard directed that....so which alien was Clint Howard?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

lol they uploaded the wrong show
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Let me try this again, was trying to be vague because spoilers
[+] spoiler
There had to have been a way to get Mando to tatooine to help out that didn’t require dedicating and entire episode to him, especially when the events of that episode could have better served as season 3, episode one of his own show.
Maybe I’ll be shown to be wrong as the season ends but it doesn’t seem like there was any need to tell that story now. Whose show is it anyway?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:46 pm Let me try this again, was trying to be vague because spoilers
[+] spoiler
There had to have been a way to get Mando to tatooine to help out that didn’t require dedicating and entire episode to him, especially when the events of that episode could have better served as season 3, episode one of his own show.
Maybe I’ll be shown to be wrong as the season ends but it doesn’t seem like there was any need to tell that story now. Whose show is it anyway?
[+] spoiler
The flashbacks were building up why Fett has an antagonist in the Pykes. I’m guessing they needed to use TBoBF to establish a few things (including what he does for him) before S3 can begin (including the fact The Armourer may wind up being a nemesis in S3, but I digress)
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Like, you and I just don't see eye to eye on SW, maaan.

[+] spoiler
Wasn't there a conversation with the other group of Mandalorians, the one that Katee Sackoff was a part of, where they said that The Armourer and her crew were fanatics, using the never take off your helmet thing as an example? So you might be on to something. Though that still could have been episode 3.1 and they could have told a BF story in BF's show. Unless BF is going to be a regular in season 3?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 am Like, you and I just don't see eye to eye on SW, maaan.

[+] spoiler
Wasn't there a conversation with the other group of Mandalorians, the one that Katee Sackoff was a part of, where they said that The Armourer and her crew were fanatics, using the never take off your helmet thing as an example? So you might be on to something. Though that still could have been episode 3.1 and they could have told a BF story in BF's show. Unless BF is going to be a regular in season 3?
[+] spoiler
Absolutely. They wound up pitying Mando for his allegiance to them. I think there’s a broader narrative going on here. As for Fett appearing in S3? I think it’s at least likely, but I’d also view BoBF as The Mandalorian S2.5…
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone else sucked into Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers? For a IMDB channel show, it is pretty good. Also reminds you how these hoops stars are basically pros from a very young age...but still kids.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:21 pm Anyone else sucked into Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers? For a IMDB channel show, it is pretty good. Also reminds you how these hoops stars are basically pros from a very young age...but still kids.
There is an IMDB channel? Is this a cable network, platform, or website?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:26 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:21 pm Anyone else sucked into Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers? For a IMDB channel show, it is pretty good. Also reminds you how these hoops stars are basically pros from a very young age...but still kids.
There is an IMDB channel? Is this a cable network, platform, or website?
I think it’s on my Samsung tv free channels.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, it's an "app" platform. Also shows up on Roku, if I recall correctly.

I'm at the point (well documented on this thread) that I'm not really looking for new platforms to dig into at the moment. Barely keeping up with the stuff I actually pay for.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 pm We watched the first episode of the new show "The Gilded Age" from the creators of "Downton Abbey".

I had a 'hate-watch' relationship with Downton...my GF really enjoyed it, and it was worth it for Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess and Carson the Butler's voice, but nothing ever really seemed to happen, and damn was Lady Mary a raging bitch.

Anyways...the new show: Woof....not good. Willing to give it a bit of a break since pilot episodes always have to do a ton of work with introducing characters and getting them into place, but it was just bad. And while the sets look incredible, they are lit really strangely.

Also...no matter what you think of Christine Baranski, she ain't no Maggie Smith.
We watched this the other day. I think it's fine. Obviously it's just getting started.

Probably the strangest thing for me was seeing a show with those settings and those costumes, and then the characters speaking with American accents instead of snooty British ones.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, late to the party as usual, but the wife and I have been binging The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The first season was great. The second, not so much (imho).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ran out of How To With John Wilson just in time to read a heartfelt recommendation of Joe Pera Talks To You (sorry I didn’t listen to the earlier ones here) and realized it’s also on HBO Max and watched the first couple of episodes and it’s just so nice but I completely lost my shit at the “perfect egg bite” attempt in episode 2.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I want to be in a breakfast crew.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:13 pm I want to be in a breakfast crew.

Don't come over here, Joe!
Last edited by govmentchedda on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:54 pm Ran out of How To With John Wilson just in time to read a heartfelt recommendation of Joe Pera Talks To You (sorry I didn’t listen to the earlier ones here) and realized it’s also on HBO Max and watched the first couple of episodes and it’s just so nice but I completely lost my shit at the “perfect egg bite” attempt in episode 2.
I need a win!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If I hadn’t been on the bike I think I would have started a dedicated thread and live blogged my way through the 4 episodes I watched this morning. Joe (and Gus(!) and the pizza guy) wilding out to that rock song was beautiful.

More shows should stick to 11 minute episodes.

I’m in love.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

My daughter raved about Insecure a couple of years ago.

My wife and I finally got around to watching it and the first 2 episodes were outstanding.

Funny as hell.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Re-started Station Eleven with my wife and loved the first episode again. But we felt like the second episode took a major step back. We'll watch a couple more, but it was very disappointing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:39 am Re-started Station Eleven with my wife and loved the first episode again. But we felt like the second episode took a major step back. We'll watch a couple more, but it was very disappointing.
We've really liked Station Eleven, despite the general bleakness to it. Just very well made.

We haven't watched the last episode yet though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

After seeing that the new season of Ozark was released, and realizing that I never watched season 3, I dove back in.
[+] spoiler
Jesus....the stuff with Wendy's brother is brutal. Just watched the episode where Wendy leaves him at the diner, and the hitman shows up.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Station 11 is one of the best things I've seen on TV in the last 5 years or so. The world they create, the characters, the adept means of popping back and forth from "before" and "after" the flu hit. The way they fold the various circles together.

And the final episode.. As I said before, I read the book and I actually think the show takes the story to a higher, better level.

I can understand why it might not be for everyone, but I absolutely loved it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:27 pm Station 11 is one of the best things I've seen on TV in the last 5 years or so. The world they create, the characters, the adept means of popping back and forth from "before" and "after" the flu hit. The way they fold the various circles together.

And the final episode.. As I said before, I read the book and I actually think the show takes the story to a higher, better level.

I was waiting to read the book first, but if the show is better, maybe I'll skip the book. On a waitlist at the library.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:27 pm Station 11 is one of the best things I've seen on TV in the last 5 years or so. The world they create, the characters, the adept means of popping back and forth from "before" and "after" the flu hit. The way they fold the various circles together.

We finished it last night, and you're right...the ending was really good. Definitely one of the best things I've watched in a while.

If I haven't read the book, is it worth it now that I know how it all goes?
[+] spoiler
But I think I've watched too much 'bleak' TV...meaning Ozark, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc...because I was sure something horrific and terrible was going to happen at the end, especially during the performance of Hamlet.

The Jeevan - Kirstan reunion scene was so well played.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
I had read a few previews that talked about the show being uplifting, even though it was grim as all get out. So that took the (very reasonable) fear that something awful was going to happen threat out of the equation... Slightly. Looks like we watch the same types of shows, and, yeah... It sure felt like the kids with landmines (beacons) were gonna fuck shit it up at some point after Tyler set off the flare.

As far as reading the book, as I said... I just don't have it in me to read a book after I've seen the movie/series. I thought the writing was amazing, though, and I've read another book by the author and it was just incredible, so... If you aren't hung up on knowing the main plot points, it's a cool novel. The show also added in a few "chapters" or "acts" that worked well, so there's definitely enough deviation that it might be worth your while.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Can’t believe it took this long for American TV to find out about the Eurovision Song Contest
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:21 am Can’t believe it took this long for American TV to find out about the Eurovision Song Contest
Did it take that long? I feel like it was pretty mainstream 5 to 10 years ago. I mean there is a Will Ferrell movie from 2 years ago based on it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is the first time I can remember it being adapted to an actual American song contest.

Planet Music doesn’t count.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, we saw it advertised and my wife got a good chuckle... I watch the Will Farrell movie so much while I'm cooking or cleaning that my family hates it. Used to be Pitch Perfect.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:21 am What did rass watch the last month or two, either on the stationary bike or in the evening when no one else in his family wanted to hang out with him*?

Peacemaker just started last week (three episode premiere) and hasn't completed season 1 yet, but if anyone is more game to do anything on camera than Will Forte, it's John Cena. I think that's saying a lot. So far I feel like a lot of the individual scenes and moments are great, but the whole maybe doesn't add up as expected? Maybe I'm expecting the plot to make sense in a way that I didn't with MacGruber, and I'm not sure if that's fair or not. Or maybe three episodes in is too early to judge. The series is from James Gunn, who did the MCU Guardians of the Galaxy movies and had a history of lower budget horror/comedies prior to that, and the feel in terms of music and comedy is what you'd expect from him just on rated R steroids. Might have one of the best credit sequences in recent memory:

Peacemaker is gold, Jerry. Episode 4 was when the fun really kicked in. It may have been the hybrid, but there's a scene that I laughed at harder than anything in a long time. (Haven't seen today's yet)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:06 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:44 pm White Lotus stuff:
[+] spoiler

* - I didn't really have a ton of sympathy for Armand. As much as the husband was an absolute piece of shit, Armand fucked up the reservation, and instead of doing what most 5* resorts would've done (which is admit the mistake and upgrade them/comp the shit out of at least part the stay/etc.), he doubles down and basically calls the guest a liar. Again, I get that he was doing it because the husband was being a prick, but, c'mon... Easily half the people with that kind of money come through with shitty demeanor.

He then proceeds to steal what probably amounted to a couple of thousand dollars worth of drugs. All he had to do was siphon off a percentage and just give it back and all that drama would've been squelched. I know that's not great storytelling, but if we're picking things apart... That just annoyed me. He's in Hawaii, it's not hard to get your hands on drugs.

* - You could see where the Belinda storyline was going almost the second it started taking shape. Just going to agree with the character and whoever said it upthread: There's no good long-term outcome that doesn't end in misery if Belinda gets tangled up with that (self-admitted) nutjob. I actually thought that her self-awareness made her one of the more sympathetic characters by the end.

* - Overall, what really made the show was the incredible casting. Whether you liked or loathed a given character, they really fit the part across the board.
[+] spoiler
Agree with you about Armand. The morning after he fell off the wagon the first time he told Belinda that he couldn't control himself around pills and booze. He had a chance to get rid of the drugs but didn't. And an addict's personality would have made this very hard, but he turned into a monster.

And the acting was great throughout. Especially Murray Bartlett (Armand) and Jennifer Coolidge
So like all things, we watched White Lotus late.
[+] spoiler
Re: Armond ... weren't there several "tests" for the viewers to see who they identified/empathized with? Shane not letting it go, several of the meal discussions from the main family, I'm sure a few I missed all culminating with the obvious which-side-are-you-on with the robbery? Little things compounding into much larger things.

And the ending just seemed too abrupt, like they got to 15 minutes remaining and just had to wrap up. Once he brought out the knife and talked about break-ins, I was fully expecting it to be Armond vs Rachel where he spooks her in the room and either she stabs him or he fights back and kills her and one of them dealing with the whole mess of Shane.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB wrote:
DOn't care about the timeline...thats Gandalf's hand at the end of the LOTR Amazon show promo.
Why would timeline be an issue? Wasn't Gandalf, like the other wizards, thousands of years old during the events of LotR?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here's a fun read and breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ler-amazon
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:01 pm
[+] spoiler

* - I didn't really have a ton of sympathy for Armand. As much as the husband was an absolute piece of shit, Armand fucked up the reservation, and instead of doing what most 5* resorts would've done (which is admit the mistake and upgrade them/comp the shit out of at least part the stay/etc.), he doubles down and basically calls the guest a liar. Again, I get that he was doing it because the husband was being a prick, but, c'mon... Easily half the people with that kind of money come through with shitty demeanor.

He then proceeds to steal what probably amounted to a couple of thousand dollars worth of drugs. All he had to do was siphon off a percentage and just give it back and all that drama would've been squelched. I know that's not great storytelling, but if we're picking things apart... That just annoyed me. He's in Hawaii, it's not hard to get your hands on drugs.

* - You could see where the Belinda storyline was going almost the second it started taking shape. Just going to agree with the character and whoever said it upthread: There's no good long-term outcome that doesn't end in misery if Belinda gets tangled up with that (self-admitted) nutjob. I actually thought that her self-awareness made her one of the more sympathetic characters by the end.

* - Overall, what really made the show was the incredible casting. Whether you liked or loathed a given character, they really fit the part across the board.
[+] spoiler
Agree with you about Armand. The morning after he fell off the wagon the first time he told Belinda that he couldn't control himself around pills and booze. He had a chance to get rid of the drugs but didn't. And an addict's personality would have made this very hard, but he turned into a monster.

And the acting was great throughout. Especially Murray Bartlett (Armand) and Jennifer Coolidge
[+] spoiler
Re: Armond ... weren't there several "tests" for the viewers to see who they identified/empathized with? Shane not letting it go, several of the meal discussions from the main family, I'm sure a few I missed all culminating with the obvious which-side-are-you-on with the robbery? Little things compounding into much larger things.

And the ending just seemed too abrupt, like they got to 15 minutes remaining and just had to wrap up. Once he brought out the knife and talked about break-ins, I was fully expecting it to be Armond vs Rachel where he spooks her in the room and either she stabs him or he fights back and kills her and one of them dealing with the whole mess of Shane.
Does this show end up being depressing? I'm looking for one to add to the list, but I don't want more grim.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:21 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm DOn't care about the timeline...thats Gandalf's hand at the end of the LOTR Amazon show promo.
AHHH THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN TELEVISION THREAD!
Is this gonna be based on stuff that Tolkien actually wrote (Silmillarion, etc)?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:46 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm DOn't care about the timeline...thats Gandalf's hand at the end of the LOTR Amazon show promo.
Is this gonna be based on stuff that Tolkien actually wrote (Silmillarion, etc)?
I think so, with some additions. Gandalf and hobbits aren't in this Age as written, but they appear (the hobbits are apparently forerunners to "modern" hobbits) to be in it. Of course, the hand of Gandalf could be a feint.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:38 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:01 pm
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Does this show end up being depressing? I'm looking for one to add to the list, but I don't want more grim.
It's not uplifting, but I wouldn't call it depressing either. Dark comedy?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:48 pm
I think so, with some additions. Gandalf and hobbits aren't in this Age as written, but they appear (the hobbits are apparently forerunners to "modern" hobbits) to be in it. Of course, the hand of Gandalf could be a feint.
Here for proto-hobbits.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:48 pm
Yeah, just refreshed my terrible memory of Gandalf's origins (thanks tolkien.net) and that he only came to Middle Earth in the 3rd age. If so, why do yo think that is Gandalf's hand?