The Dude

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

This is so tragic. No clear cause of death yet. Kind of disgusted with anti-vax ghouls on Twitter happy to use her death to their advantage.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:56 am
This is so tragic. No clear cause of death yet. Kind of disgusted with anti-vax ghouls on Twitter happy to use her death to their advantage.
Agree on all points. Is that something that can be reported to Twitter due to vaccine lies? Or at least just tell those people that they are repugnant human beings?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Especially grosser given what appears to be the cause of death.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Suicide?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, its been implied several places.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was my first thought as well. Ugh.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I can't comprehend the level of depravity to do that. A young woman dies, and in any possible cause is unimaginably tragic, and people are using it to promote anti-vax? The fuck is wrong with people?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've watched a (probably unhealthy) bunch of youtube compilations of anti-mask (presumably anti-vax) ppl...

MAGA and COVID deniers are all part of the same type of cult-like mentality. They are not right in the head.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:34 pmMAGA and COVID deniers are all part of the same type of cult-like mentality. They are not right in the head.
And aren't they also part of the hard-core Christianist mentality too?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:30 pm I can't comprehend the level of depravity to do that. A young woman dies, and in any possible cause is unimaginably tragic, and people are using it to promote anti-vax? The fuck is wrong with people?
Think about it from their perspective and it makes sense. They are convinced the vaccine is killing thousands of otherwise healthy athletes. If they believe the vaccine was the cause of death, why wouldn't they speak out? They think they are saving lives by showing the vaccine is killing healthy athletes.

There have been a number of NCAA and professional athletes who have died or had cardiac issues on the field in the past year, so anti-vaxxers are blaming it on the vaccine. What they fail to realize is that the numbers of deaths and cardiac issues is within the normal amount from previous years, they are just listening to morons like John Stockton who are making it seem like this is vaccine related. It doesn't help that the media is making a big deal about every incident when they didn't in the past. It's the Summer of the Shark Attack and crash landings all over again.*

*One summer in the early 2000s, a pretty blond girl surfing had her arm bitten off by a shark. It went viral, so every shark attack was all over the news. People freaked out about shark attacks being an epidemic, but there were fewer than normal that year, it's just that the media made a huge story out of every attack when in the past they didn't report them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:35 pm *One summer in the early 2000s, a pretty blond girl surfing had her arm bitten off by a shark. It went viral, so every shark attack was all over the news. People freaked out about shark attacks being an epidemic, but there were fewer than normal that year, it's just that the media made a huge story out of every attack when in the past they didn't report them.
I think you might be referencing the summer of 2001. I remember the big news that summer were the sharks, China shooting down our plane, and that politician from Oregon(?) where his secretary or mistress disappeared. Chandra Levy? Was that her name? Everything seemed so much different before that September.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:40 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:35 pm *One summer in the early 2000s, a pretty blond girl surfing had her arm bitten off by a shark. It went viral, so every shark attack was all over the news. People freaked out about shark attacks being an epidemic, but there were fewer than normal that year, it's just that the media made a huge story out of every attack when in the past they didn't report them.
I think you might be referencing the summer of 2001. I remember the big news that summer were the sharks, China shooting down our plane, and that politician from Oregon(?) where his secretary or mistress disappeared. Chandra Levy? Was that her name? Everything seemed so much different before that September.
I looked it up, and I had conflated two things in my head. You are correct Summer of the Shark was 2001. That was the summer I was studying for the Bar Exam, so I missed it. I was thinking of 2003, when Bethany Hamilton had her arm bitten off. We used to have CNN on in my office conference room all day, and they showed tons of shark attacks that year, too.

Around the same time, someone took a great video of a fiery plane crash landing. CNN went nuts every time there was a report of a plane attempting to land with the landing gear stuck. We watched live as a plane landed with the front wheels out of position. They built it up for over an hour, with maps showing where the plane was. Numerous camera angles including from a helicopter over the runway. They had an aviation expert on the phone who torched CNN for their coverage. They wanted him to build drama by explaining everything that could go wrong, but he said planes land with that issue every single day, pilot train for it, it's not a big deal, etc... While I don't remember his exact words, he told them there is no reason they should waste viewers time on this, it isn't a story. Sure enough, plane landed without issue and the anchors seemed disappointed.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:14 pm
I looked it up, and I had conflated two things in my head. You are correct Summer of the Shark was 2001. That was the summer I was studying for the Bar Exam, so I missed it. I was thinking of 2003, when Bethany Hamilton had her arm bitten off. We used to have CNN on in my office conference room all day, and they showed tons of shark attacks that year, too.

Around the same time, someone took a great video of a fiery plane crash landing. CNN went nuts every time there was a report of a plane attempting to land with the landing gear stuck. We watched live as a plane landed with the front wheels out of position. They built it up for over an hour, with maps showing where the plane was. Numerous camera angles including from a helicopter over the runway. They had an aviation expert on the phone who torched CNN for their coverage. They wanted him to build drama by explaining everything that could go wrong, but he said planes land with that issue every single day, pilot train for it, it's not a big deal, etc... While I don't remember his exact words, he told them there is no reason they should waste viewers time on this, it isn't a story. Sure enough, plane landed without issue and the anchors seemed disappointed.
That was JetBlue in I believe 2005, and I don't think disappointed is a fair way to describe them. They were relieved it didn't blow up. There's a video out there somewhere on the Youtubes.

That incident led to a change in how the landing gear was designed so I don't think it was a common occurrence.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:30 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:14 pm

That was JetBlue in I believe 2005, and I don't think disappointed is a fair way to describe them. They were relieved it didn't blow up. There's a video out there somewhere on the Youtubes.

That incident led to a change in how the landing gear was designed so I don't think it was a common occurrence.
JetBlue Flight 292 in 2005 was the original one. We watched CNN tracking a flight a couple weeks later, I don't remember where it was going or what the issue was, but it landed without even a spark.

Video from inside the cabin of Flight 292:

-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yes, it was Chandra Levy. The whole summer was about her and some stem cell decision Bush was going to make.

And the first place Cubs' pursuit of Fred McGriff.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It was Modesto, CA, if I recall correctly.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Katie Meyer now confirmed as suicide. So tragic.

Shane Warne, an Australian cricket legend died of a heart attack. Vax!!!!!??!????
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:11 am Katie Meyer now confirmed as suicide. So tragic.

Shane Warne, an Australian cricket legend died of a heart attack. Vax!!!!!??!????
Shocked at Shane Warne going, Oz lost Rod Marsh yesterday too
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bookman...Johnny Brown 84
Not so Good Times I guess
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:46 pm Bookman...Johnny Brown 84
Not so Good Times I guess
Was happily surprised when John Amos showed up in something recently (the way his character was treated notwithstanding) cause for some reason I thought he was dead…
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Farrah Forke, Who Played a Helicopter Pilot on ‘Wings,’ Dies at 54
Farrah Forke, the actress who catapulted to fame playing a helicopter pilot on the NBC sitcom “Wings,” died at her home in Texas on Friday. She was 54.

Her death was confirmed by her mother, Beverly Talmage, who said in a statement that her daughter had had cancer for several years.

Forke played the alluring pilot Alex Lambert on three seasons of “Wings,” which aired from 1990 to 1997 and followed the adventures of the offbeat characters at a small airport on Nantucket.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Charles Entenmann...".he was not a dessert guy"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsda ... 1.50531126
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:30 am
BOOOOOO!!!

(A fitting tribute for a ref)
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume the NFL will use this to prove black refs have naturally shorter lifespans and thus their benefits and pensions should run for a shorter period of time post-retirement.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Former MLB pitcher Odalis Perez, 44, after falling off a ladder.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Lots of great roles for him...Body Heat, Big Chill, Accidental Tourist, Kiss of The Spider Woman, HIstory of Violence.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Was just coming here to post about him. He had a great run of films in the 80s. If you haven't seen Body Heat, you really ought to watch it. RIP.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:46 pm Conrad Janis
He had a role in Jackie Gleason's last movie (and one of Tom Hanks' first movies) in his role as a jazz musician (Nothing In Common).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:50 pm
bfj wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:46 pm Conrad Janis
He had a role in Jackie Gleason's last movie (and one of Tom Hanks' first movies) in his role as a jazz musician (Nothing In Common).
I remember disliking that movie a lot. Conrad could play a mean trombone.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:56 pm

Lots of great roles for him...Body Heat, Big Chill, Accidental Tourist, Kiss of The Spider Woman, HIstory of Violence.
Jesus, I'd never heard this about him. Sounds like a real piece of shit. https://www.thedailybeast.com/when-marl ... rt-of-rape
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Like they say, Willam Hurt people hurt people.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:41 am Like they say, Willam Hurt people hurt people.
Nice
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:42 pm

JetBlue Flight 292 in 2005 was the original one. We watched CNN tracking a flight a couple weeks later, I don't remember where it was going or what the issue was, but it landed without even a spark.

Video from inside the cabin of Flight 292:

My wife was supposed to land at home from St. Louis an hour ago. After 90 minutes of sitting on the runway with alternating announcements of canceling her flight, "trying to fly" despite some issue, adding fuel to negate the issue, then taxiing to a different area for a mechanic to add some equipment, they finally took off. 30 minutes later she was live Tweeting an emergency landing. Pilot was pissed and mouthing off about the mechanic to the passengers. She said there was a weird noise and it felt like the plane came to a sudden stop, then was rocking side to side. The pilot said "we are returning to St. Louis, where I hope we can safely land." She was texting her last words and messages to the kids, while I thought about sending her this video.

They landed safely surrounded by numerous fire trucks and ambulances. Pilot said the airline wants to repair the plane, but he isn't doing it. Hoping they can prepare another plane.

United's website is a joke. An hour after the flight was supposed to take off, the tracker still said it took off 4 minutes early, arriving 4 minutes early. After they landed back in St. Louis, it said they would land an hour late. Then it said under repair and departing in 15 minutes (that was an hour ago). They don't have a new plane, yet the website continues to have them leaving in 5 minutes, for about an hour.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus! That’s scary for anyone with a loved one on the plane! Kind of unprofessional of the pilot to vent to the passengers instead of trying to calm them down. (And you just know the crew will get timed out shortly on their available hours).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:53 pm Jeebus! That’s scary for anyone with a loved one on the plane! Kind of unprofessional of the pilot to vent to the passengers instead of trying to calm them down. (And you just know the crew will get timed out shortly on their available hours).
It was scary, because I knew if didn't resist the urge to send the SNL clip, my marriage would end.
-Pruitt