To the extent it comes up: Trump crap post-WH years

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: To the extent it comes up: Trump crap post-WH years

Post by The Sybian »

As I looked up, a pickup truck plastered with Ukrainian flag decals just drove by. I have a Ukranian SSR flag from when Ukraine was a member state of the USSR. I should hang that in front of my house to show support and see if I get a rock through my window or cause an uproar on the town FaceBook Forum. It looks like the Soviet flag with a blue stripe at the bottom. I assume hardly anyone would know it was a flag of Ukraine, and if they did they would assume it showed support for Ukraine returning to Russian control. Question is, do I tell my wife before I display the flag?

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Craziness about Howard. He blocked me on Twitter years ago and I never knew why. I'll have to look on one of my work accounts.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:51 pmQuestion is, do I tell my wife before I display the flag?
How comfy is your couch?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:05 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:51 pmQuestion is, do I tell my wife before I display the flag?
How comfy is your couch?
You think I'd be allowed to stay in the house?
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I would 100% assume the person who flew that flag was pro-Russia, even before I knew the flag's true origin. Knowing it's from Soviet Ukraine only makes that view stronger.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right. From a distance I hate anyone wearing a red hat until I can confirm what its not. That flag is going to get you firebombed.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:35 pm I would 100% assume the person who flew that flag was pro-Russia, even before I knew the flag's true origin. Knowing it's from Soviet Ukraine only makes that view stronger.
I had a post started that tried to say this but for whatever reason I couldn't get the wording right. I think the reason is I am stupid.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:35 pm I would 100% assume the person who flew that flag was pro-Russia, even before I knew the flag's true origin. Knowing it's from Soviet Ukraine only makes that view stronger.
I hope it goes without saying, but I was joking about flying the flag.

When I went to Russia it was just after the fall of Communism, and the markets were flooded with Soviet propaganda, military stuff, flags, etc... When we went on a side trip to St. Petersburg, I bought a bunch of banners and an enormous flag at had the symbol of all 15 Republics on one side, and a giant Lenin head and some slogan on the other side. I paid 50 cents for the banners and a few dollars for the flag. My host mother was screaming at me and sobbing because she felt I was ripped off and paid for garbage. If I was older, I would have started a business buying this stuff to sell in America. I volunteered to give up a suitcase on the way there to pack full of medicine and supplies for the town, so I had an empty suitcase to fill up with this stuff. I have a bunch of different military dress hats, hand carved and painted chess sets, matryoshka dolls. My host father gave me a bag filled with all of his Army medals. I felt bad taking them, but he screamed that it was garbage and he didn't want it. That colored my view of Russians hating their military service. We sat in on military class in the high school, where they learn basic drills. Marching with a fake rifle doing show drills. They all hated it and resented and feared having to serve. When I hosted a Russian exchange student, he brought me an authentic full length Red Army officer winter coat. It's made out of felt an inch thick and is insanely heavy. I have a matching officers' fur hat, too.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Can't you just hang it at the neighbors? Or did they finally move?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:57 pm Can't you just hang it at the neighbors? Or did they finally move?
Holy shit, that is great! Fortunately they sold the house. Town finally started cracking down on them with fines for noise ordinances and the unpermitted pool, and they sold for $400,000 under what they were initially asking. Had to laugh when I saw they had at least 10 cars at their house for a Super Bowl party and I didn't even notice until I left the house to pick up my son.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:54 pm
I hope it goes without saying, but I was joking about flying the flag.

When I went to Russia it was just after the fall of Communism, and the markets were flooded with Soviet propaganda, military stuff, flags, etc... When we went on a side trip to St. Petersburg, I bought a bunch of banners and an enormous flag at had the symbol of all 15 Republics on one side, and a giant Lenin head and some slogan on the other side. I paid 50 cents for the banners and a few dollars for the flag. My host mother was screaming at me and sobbing because she felt I was ripped off and paid for garbage. If I was older, I would have started a business buying this stuff to sell in America. I volunteered to give up a suitcase on the way there to pack full of medicine and supplies for the town, so I had an empty suitcase to fill up with this stuff. I have a bunch of different military dress hats, hand carved and painted chess sets, matryoshka dolls. My host father gave me a bag filled with all of his Army medals. I felt bad taking them, but he screamed that it was garbage and he didn't want it. That colored my view of Russians hating their military service. We sat in on military class in the high school, where they learn basic drills. Marching with a fake rifle doing show drills. They all hated it and resented and feared having to serve. When I hosted a Russian exchange student, he brought me an authentic full length Red Army officer winter coat. It's made out of felt an inch thick and is insanely heavy. I have a matching officers' fur hat, too.
I've read this story.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seems big on a Wednesday night:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Something has to break him.

If there's one bullet: obviously Putin.

But then...
Last edited by EnochRoot on Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:49 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:28 pm
nah. It just aligns with the world’s most malevolent dictator.
I'm not sure I even understand the point the pro-Russia people are making. The best I can gather, there is anecdotal evidence that some troops in the Ukranian army harbor Nazi beliefs, so we should cheer for Putin destroying the entire Ukranian army and ousting a popular democratically elected regime to stamp out Naziism? Yet it's OK for a historically horrendous dictator with Nationalistic beliefs to invade and capture a sovereign neighboring nation to attempt to rebuild the Soviet Union? So Russia can get a buffer between NATO nations by invading what is a large buffering nation between Russia and Nato nations?
I had to unfollow Howard. I get being anti imperialism, and fully agree. I’ve been embarrassed by activities of our own government. I also don’t trust everything I see with media, large and small. But fuck me that’s a long way from carrying water for the Russian invasion. Even with Ukraine’s actions in Donbas and Crimea, those areas were invaded too! Russia tried to overthrow them using non-official methods. It didn’t work so they upped the ante. Putin has been planning this for years.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Can these fucking people be arrested already?????
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's a shame.

Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Just like their leader who wouldn't go to a War Cemetery in the rain
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I hate the "who's paying for that" angle when it comes to protests, but who's paying for the truckers gas and overhead while they're not actually working? The big rigs ain't cheap and from what I understand, freight trucking has super thin margins.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It’s certainly not the freight companies. Long haul drivers get paid by the mile - by the predetermined mileage from pick-up point to delivery point. So their employers aren’t paying for any extra time or mileage they drive.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My friend's brother who drives a truck said that truckers have been doing dumb stuff like this, indifferent to who the president is or what the hot button political topic is, for years.

But once the astroturfing campaign in Canada occurred, it gave the idiots who drive trucks down here with similar political views the license to attempt it.

However, there has to be less money to go around because it just isn't a serious movement at all. That's why January 6th seems so weird. There was serious money and coordination behind the scenes.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:53 pm My friend's brother who drives a truck said that truckers have been doing dumb stuff like this, indifferent to who the president is or what the hot button political topic is, for years.

But once the astroturfing campaign in Canada occurred, it gave the idiots who drive trucks down here with similar political views the license to attempt it.

However, there has to be less money to go around because it just isn't a serious movement at all. That's why January 6th seems so weird. There was serious money and coordination behind the scenes.
cough GINNIE THOMAS cough
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:13 pm It’s certainly not the freight companies. Long haul drivers get paid by the mile - by the predetermined mileage from pick-up point to delivery point. So their employers aren’t paying for any extra time or mileage they drive.
Some freight companies might be paying because they are run by aggrieved white men too.

We came across a mini-convoy on the highway here a couple of weeks ago. It was mostly pickups and SUVs and normal cars. There were only two real trucks - but both were from the same trucking company.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:11 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:13 pm It’s certainly not the freight companies. Long haul drivers get paid by the mile - by the predetermined mileage from pick-up point to delivery point. So their employers aren’t paying for any extra time or mileage they drive.
Some freight companies might be paying because they are run by aggrieved white men too.

We came across a mini-convoy on the highway here a couple of weeks ago. It was mostly pickups and SUVs and normal cars. There were only two real trucks - but both were from the same trucking company.
Maybe some piddly little outfit with just 3 trucks or something. Certainly not any company big enough to have a formal payroll system and a hierarchy of management.

Don't get me wrong, As we know, most business executives, including trucking executives, are Republicans. Many of them are hard right-wingers. But in a low profit-margin business, very very few can afford to take their revenue-generating trucks off the road for such a purpose. The execs support their causes in other ways, such as writing checks to right-wing causes.

A large percentage of long-haul truckers are owner-operators. Yeah, they are incorporated and have a company name, but that usually just means a guy who owns a truck or two, and works on a contractor basis with larger companies.

[Full disclosure - I was in management for a global trucking/logistics/air freight company for most of my professional life.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Baloney wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:50 pm

Just like their leader who wouldn't go to a War Cemetery in the rain
But hey...according to Washington Post columnist, and Resident Super Genius Hugh Hewitt, the Trucker Convoy is a legitimate political force to be reckoned with!

A cross-country convoy with a purpose
One thing is certain: The convoy has made the silent American voter easy to find and hear. Reporters should seek them out; they are friendly and talkative. And they will be heard again in November, because they are the future of U.S. politics.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ah ha wow holy shit glad he’s safe ha ha wow fuck …

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Leads me to an interesting thought. If Trump drops dead tomorrow, does the Party grow a spine, or do they continue to pander to the MAGAts? I'm thinking there is a split, some of the people who should know better try to pull the party back from the ledge, while others like DeSantis and Cruz engage in a battle royale to out Trump each other and secure Trump voters and claim the mantle as the leader of the GOP. It'd be fun to watch them go at each other.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think the plane he was on had 3 engines, so 1 going out isn't that big a deal.
The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:21 pm Leads me to an interesting thought. If Trump drops dead tomorrow, does the Party grow a spine, or do they continue to pander to the MAGAts? I'm thinking there is a split, some of the people who should know better try to pull the party back from the ledge, while others like DeSantis and Cruz engage in a battle royale to out Trump each other and secure Trump voters and claim the mantle as the leader of the GOP. It'd be fun to watch them go at each other.
I'm thinking the GOP memory holes everything left about him and they continue doing what they need to to get votes from aggrieved, racist white people. There will never be a split, just a constant movement further and further right with the occasional Romney, Cheney, or Kinzinger saying something to make the liberal media fawn.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If Trump dies anytime soon, they will canonize him and demand his likeness get added to Mount Rushmore.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Republicans are paralyzed from acting responsibly because Rupert Murdoch has been wagging their dog for over 30 years. Nothing will change until that man is brought to heel.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And of course, he's fundraising for a new plane.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:57 am I think the plane he was on had 3 engines, so 1 going out isn't that big a deal.

Look, I don't care how Air Force you are, for a civilian, one engine going out is a big fucking deal! Haven't you seen Twilight Zone?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

At this very moment, I think Trump dying would make me happy for a moment then make the country far worse for the exact reasoning above. Republicans would pretend to wake from the Trump haze and Biden et all would be all too willing to embrace them as a new and reasonable counter-party that just so happens to still do all the same awful shit.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:18 am At this very moment, I think Trump dying would make me happy for a moment then make the country far worse for the exact reasoning above. Republicans would pretend to wake from the Trump haze and Biden et all would be all too willing to embrace them as a new and reasonable counter-party that just so happens to still do all the same awful shit.
That, and they could just replace Trump with an equally evil but competent and intelligent person.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:18 am If Trump dies anytime soon, they will canonize him and demand his likeness get added to Mount Rushmore.
When Trump goes, Fox News will morph into a 24-hour hagiography channel, the depths of which haven't been seen since Reagan died. And some aspiring Grover Norquist-type (Charlie Kirk, the most likely candidate) will immediately mount a campaign to have something named for Trump in all 50 states. And the Trump-wannabes (Cruz, DeSantis, and others) will do everything they can to take up his hate-filled vacancy.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:26 am
mister d wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:18 am At this very moment, I think Trump dying would make me happy for a moment then make the country far worse for the exact reasoning above. Republicans would pretend to wake from the Trump haze and Biden et all would be all too willing to embrace them as a new and reasonable counter-party that just so happens to still do all the same awful shit.
That, and they could just replace Trump with an equally evil but competent and intelligent person.
Would they be able to find it though? I think the appeal of TFG is his combination of charisma, stupidity, racism, and classlessness. Plus it would have to be someone in the public eye. That's a tough confluence to replicate. Like I can't really see Jethro standing up in his Klan meeting in Lynchblacks, Mississippi saying "Josh Hawley. Now that guy gets us."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:36 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:26 am
Would they be able to find it though? I think the appeal of TFG is his combination of charisma, stupidity, racism, and classlessness. Plus it would have to be someone in the public eye. That's a tough confluence to replicate. Like I can't really see Jethro standing up in his Klan meeting in Lynchblacks, Mississippi saying "Josh Hawley. Now that guy gets us."
Ron DeSantis might be able to pull it off, but you make a good point. I can't see anyone else drawing crowds at rallies crying and whining about the same damned personal grievances for years on end. Without Trump, maybe the movement fizzles and the MAGAts crawl back under their rock and lose interest in politics.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

These people are so fucking broken-brained:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We're up near Gainsville visiting some of the wife's family. Saw some Trump / Pence sings with the Pence black sharpied out.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »