Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by L-Jam3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:25 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:10 am If we're going to improve this country, we can't just spend all of our time demonizing the Right.
Sorry to disagree, but the Right is taking a lot of positions that deserve demonizing. All the trans/gay bashing, misogyny, and racism absolutely deserve to be demonized. Yes, the Progressives have to do a better job, but you can't normalize all that stuff.

And that's not even getting to the issue of the 'Big Lie'. The Right has made it an Article of Faith that the 2020 elections was 'Rigged!' or stolen, despite no evidence at all. If Trump this afternoon decided that the moon was made of cheese, all the MAGA-cult would be following right along with him. (Remember when he mused about buying Greenland? And then all the clowns on FoxNews and at National Republic decided that it would actually be a great idea?).

How can you not demonize that bullshit?
And the whole "doing everything possible to stop black people from voting". That's pretty bad, too.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:10 am If we're going to improve this country, we can't just spend all of our time demonizing the Right.
Sorry to disagree, but the Right is taking a lot of positions that deserve demonizing. All the trans/gay bashing, misogyny, and racism absolutely deserve to be demonized. Yes, the Progressives have to do a better job, but you can't normalize all that stuff.

And that's not even getting to the issue of the 'Big Lie'. The Right has made it an Article of Faith that the 2020 elections was 'Rigged!' or stolen, despite no evidence at all. If Trump this afternoon decided that the moon was made of cheese, all the MAGA-cult would be following right along with him. (Remember when he mused about buying Greenland? And then all the clowns on FoxNews and at National Republic decided that it would actually be a great idea?).

I agree the Big Lie and GOP desire to regain power through cheating the election system are the biggest issues, but you can't just devote 100% of focus on one issue, otherwise we lose on everything else. I haven't watched the video yet, but if we can get state and local Dems to make positive change, why not do that while still fighting the Big Lie and nutjob wing of the GOP who are taking over the Party? Pointing out things Dems need to do better isn't saying the GOP is good, it's just saying Dems can be better.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe because, for the most part, "positive change" is seen as a campaign talking point rather than something Dems have shown a willingness to fight for?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm

I agree the Big Lie and GOP desire to regain power through cheating the election system are the biggest issues, but you can't just devote 100% of focus on one issue, otherwise we lose on everything else. I haven't watched the video yet, but if we can get state and local Dems to make positive change, why not do that while still fighting the Big Lie and nutjob wing of the GOP who are taking over the Party? Pointing out things Dems need to do better isn't saying the GOP is good, it's just saying Dems can be better.
But when the Dems do better, no one cares or talks about it. Unemployment is low after COVID destroyed the economy, Biden is doing a great job working with allies to counter Putin's bullshit, he's made good additions to Obamacare, got a strong supreme court justice, and smoothly rolled out vaccinating 65 percent of the country when the previous administration couldn't get enough masks for the country (before masks became an attack on our freedom). Republicans celebrate their accomplishments, while Dems are ignored or we hear it's not enough. NPR interviewed disappointed Arizona Biden voters today, and it was just whining about how their student debt hasn't been forgiven. They need a reminder that Biden has been busy cleaning up Trump's mess. It was the same story for Obama and Clinton.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:19 pm Maybe because, for the most part, "positive change" is seen as a campaign talking point rather than something Dems have shown a willingness to fight for?
Bingo. It's always a carrot.

And again to others conflating the no good, very bad garbage human republicans with the topic of liberal hypocrisy, as the video points out, in states RIGHT NOW with complete democratic control who could do all of things that the overall party wants, the LIBERALS THEMSELVES WHO ESPOUSE PROGRESSIVE VALUES forgo implementing them when their quality of life is threatened.

That's the video. That's it.

Cut the shit with the whataboutism, please.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:34 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:19 pm Maybe because, for the most part, "positive change" is seen as a campaign talking point rather than something Dems have shown a willingness to fight for?

And again to others conflating the no good, very bad garbage human republicans with the topic of liberal hypocrisy, as the video points out, in states RIGHT NOW with complete democratic control who could do all of things that the overall party wants, the LIBERALS THEMSELVES WHO ESPOUSE PROGRESSIVE VALUES forgo implementing them when their quality of life is threatened.

I watched the video, and it wasn't exactly groundbreaking or surprising. I think they took two very small examples from two cities that I thought "of course that's what happened" and blew it up to attacking all Dems. They showed a Palo Alto neighborhood where the average home price is $5 million voted to change the zoning ordinance to prevent a 60 unit retirement home from moving into what is now a single family home neighborhood. Then they showed that in Chicago, the school funding from property taxes is proportionally funding the schools in that zone. So richer neighborhoods get more school funding. People pay more to live in better school districts, and once they are in, they don't want to change the taxes to take more of their money to other schools. I think they would vote for a nationwide improvement in funding low income school districts, but it is a different beast when you change the tax funding between neighborhoods. And if you lived in a neighborhood with an average home price of $5 million, I wouldn't be surprised if you voted down high density residences on your block.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:31 pmUnemployment is low after COVID destroyed the economy
Low unemployment would be a lot more impressive if it meant people were doing well. It supremely fucked up that so many people enjoyed the most economically stable periods of their lives during an unprecedented pandemic.
EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:31 pmsmoothly rolled out vaccinating 65 percent of the country when the previous administration couldn't get enough masks for the country (before masks became an attack on our freedom).
Trump couldn't get enough masks, Biden didn't get enough tests. Neither seemed/seems willing to put non-American lives over corporate profit when it comes to patents. America as a whole has been a complete and utter failure on the pandemic, both functionally and morally.
EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:31 pmThey need a reminder that Biden has been busy cleaning up Trump's mess.
Like cleaning up border policies that were horrific human rights abuses under Trump and are now just kinda SOP going forward?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

There isn't a president in U.S. history where you couldn't do the same type of criticisms of his achievements and administration. The point is you celebrate the wins, promote them, and build off of them rather than playing defense to your opponent's narrative.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:04 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:34 pm

I watched the video, and it wasn't exactly groundbreaking or surprising. I think they took two very small examples from two cities that I thought "of course that's what happened" and blew it up to attacking all Dems. They showed a Palo Alto neighborhood where the average home price is $5 million voted to change the zoning ordinance to prevent a 60 unit retirement home from moving into what is now a single family home neighborhood. Then they showed that in Chicago, the school funding from property taxes is proportionally funding the schools in that zone. So richer neighborhoods get more school funding. People pay more to live in better school districts, and once they are in, they don't want to change the taxes to take more of their money to other schools. I think they would vote for a nationwide improvement in funding low income school districts, but it is a different beast when you change the tax funding between neighborhoods. And if you lived in a neighborhood with an average home price of $5 million, I wouldn't be surprised if you voted down high density residences on your block.
I mean, I'm guessing they had lots and lots more examples to talk about, but no one is watching a 2+ hour YouTube video, no matter how slick the graphics or detailed the material when those couple examples are emblematic of the overall issue: when faced with living up to the platform, here are clear cut instances where you have unmitigated ability to enact your complete vision and you just don't.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm There isn't a president in U.S. history where you couldn't do the same type of criticisms of his achievements and administration. The point is you celebrate the wins, promote them, and build off of them rather than playing defense to your opponent's narrative.
I'm arguing that half the wins you cited aren't wins and any promotion of them would be complete nonsense.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:07 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm There isn't a president in U.S. history where you couldn't do the same type of criticisms of his achievements and administration. The point is you celebrate the wins, promote them, and build off of them rather than playing defense to your opponent's narrative.
I'm arguing that half the wins you cited aren't wins and any promotion of them would be complete nonsense.
I have to roll my eyes every time the Dems roll out the record number of new jobs Biden "created" when most of them are people returning to jobs that were temporarily put on hold due to COVID closures. No matter who was in office, those jobs were coming back. I don't blame the Dems for pushing the stats, because they are factually true and they should, but if the GOP pushed the same facts if they were in office, I'd be screaming at my screen. In the same vein, Dems are doing a terrible job messaging, as the overwhelming majority of Americans think the economy is much worse under Biden despite all of the positive numbers.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 pm
I have to roll my eyes every time the Dems roll out the record number of new jobs Biden "created" when most of them are people returning to jobs that were temporarily put on hold due to COVID closures. No matter who was in office, those jobs were coming back. I don't blame the Dems for pushing the stats, because they are factually true and they should, but if the GOP pushed the same facts if they were in office, I'd be screaming at my screen. In the same vein, Dems are doing a terrible job messaging, as the overwhelming majority of Americans think the economy is much worse under Biden despite all of the positive numbers.
They should really stop whining about the student debt forgiveness they want which is crippling their ability to start a family or buy a house and relish in the fact that the stock market money machine goes BRRRRRR and they're getting their old jobs back.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:27 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 pm
They should really stop whining about the student debt forgiveness they want which is crippling their ability to start a family or buy a house and relish in the fact that the stock market money machine goes BRRRRRR and they're getting their old jobs back.
I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying the GOP are doing a much better job of messaging. They have been screaming about Biden ruining the economy, and their narrative is winning out. Under Obama, the DOW went from 7,000 to 19,000 and Republicans had the majority of Americans believing his economy was a disaster. Under Trump the "disaster" went to incredible records every day the DOW went up. Of course that is all meaningless and doesn't have all that much to do with the President, but the DOW continues to rise under Biden, and it's all doom and gloom.

I'm just talking messaging from the Parties. I agree, the market doing well benefits the wealthy much more than the middle class, and doesn't benefit the poor at all. It's not a good indicator of the health of the economy at all, and in many ways, can be a bad sign, as corporations can artificially raise their stock prices through buying back their own stocks at artificially high prices making their CEO and Board look good and creating a bubble of false wealth that leads to recession.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

When is it going to be enough with this guy?

Sources: Rep. Madison Cawthorn cited for having a gun at Charlotte Douglas
Rep. Madison Cawthorn was cited for having a gun at Charlotte Douglas International Airport Tuesday morning, three sources tell Channel 9.

According to the TSA, a 9 millimeter handgun was discovered at Checkpoint D. TSA declined to identify the person who had the gun.

A photo obtained by Channel 9 shows a loaded Staccato C2 was recovered at Charlotte Douglas Tuesday morning.

It’s unclear if Cawthorn will face any criminal charges. A spokesperson for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department couldn’t immediately comment.

This is not the first time a gun has been discovered on Cawthorn at an airport. In February 2021, TSA found a 9 millimeter handgun in Cawthorn’s carry-on bag at Asheville Regional Airport. Cawthorn did not face any criminal charges for the incident.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Real question here. How does a person forget that they have a firearm in a carry-on?

If people travel often, sure, they don't empty and repack their carry-on every time. Like when you forget you have a sex toy in your bag; it's happened to all of us. But a gun? I don't own guns nor have I ever held one, but I think one good rule for firearm safety is knowing where every gun you own is at all times. And if you can't recall at a moment's notice where every one is, then maybe you have too many than you're responsible for.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Has he started fundraising off it yet?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:26 pm Has he started fundraising off it yet?
He'll need to add this one as well...

Dude is a one-man crime wave...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My first thought with the gun issue was that he intentionally did it to take publicity away from dressing in women's lingerie. A gun citation plays much better with his base.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Being a Congressperson implicated in an insider trading scheme seems to say the implicated person is either not trying, remarkably stupid, or both.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:11 pm Real question here. How does a person forget that they have a firearm in a carry-on?

If people travel often, sure, they don't empty and repack their carry-on every time. Like when you forget you have a sex toy in your bag; it's happened to all of us. But a gun? I don't own guns nor have I ever held one, but I think one good rule for firearm safety is knowing where every gun you own is at all times. And if you can't recall at a moment's notice where every one is, then maybe you have too many than you're responsible for.
As a gun owner, it's legit assholish negligence. I have my own dedicated gun bag. It's never, ever utilized for anything other than transporting my guns to the range and then back home.

I simply cannot fathom using the same bag for guns and clothes/travel items like sex toys. The potential residue alone from spent rounds getting on my stuff is enough to make me take the extra moments to have the specific separation.

And maybe I put effort into packing bags, but I start with completely empty luggage and go from there. Like, if you used that bag and went to the range with it doesn't the thought at least cross your mind like "Huh, I took my guns to the range in this bag. Let me make sure I safed them."

Because again, it's about safety. You're going to leave a loaded gun in a random ass bag that you use often? I can't wrap my head around it. I need to go to Ask Reddit or something and find out the honest edge case where someone did this innocently.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are we ignoring that guns are sex toys for single conservative men?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So you think we should spend ALL of our time doing that? And don't bother actually implementing better policies?
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My cousin got to play in the Congressional Soccer Match at Audi Field tonight. Dems had Ben Olsen, Republicans got Cindy Parlow Cone. Dems won.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:11 pm

So you think we should spend ALL of our time doing that? And don't bother actually implementing better policies?
No, of course not. Dem's have to do better, but there's no way that they should ignore/not call out the bad actors on the other side.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:46 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:11 pm

No, of course not. Dem's have to do better, but there's no way that they should ignore/not call out the bad actors on the other side.
I agree. I was just making that point that you and someone else were arguing against a point I hadn't made. Of COURSE these racist idiots are awful and way worse than Dems. But at the same time, Democrats do have a lot of political power in some places and we need to hold them accountable too when they don't do the right thing.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Are we to the point where we need a separate Madison Cawthorn thread?

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:57 pm But at the same time, Democrats do have a lot of political power in some places and we need to hold them accountable too when they don't do the right thing.
You've not been around to hear my Maria Cantwell diatribes. (She's been a Senator since 2001, and she's done nothing! Never makes news, never sponsors legislation, you never hear anything from her except when its re-election time. And she's blocked some good Dem politicians from having that seat and actually doing something).

We have friends who have a daughter who is really freaking smart and serious and impressive (she has a PhD from Harvard in economics, and has been all over the world working on micro-loan programs for women in poor countries). I've told her when she decides to run against Cantwell, I'll be the first to donate to her campaign.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

From the north coast of Lake Ontario
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Blue no matter who, baby.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I see shit like this and it's like both sides are the same and suddenly I couldn't give a fuck less about voting or anything.

Jesus.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm I see shit like this and it's like both sides are the same and suddenly I couldn't give a fuck less about voting or anything.

Jesus.
Just remember that they are only the same in a narrow band of interests. There's a lot more to policy and politics than just money for the rich.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:56 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm I see shit like this and it's like both sides are the same and suddenly I couldn't give a fuck less about voting or anything.

Jesus.
Just remember that they are only the same in a narrow band of interests. There's a lot more to policy and politics than just money for the rich.
But it just seems like when push comes to shove and sides need to be taken, the rich will stick together indifferent of those non-narrow band politics and policies.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

God, we're so fucked.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thank fuck he's going to make a full recovery.

Dude had a goddamn stroke.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So a thought just crossed my mind. The GOP are pissed at Cawthorn because he exposed their cocaine orgues so they’re releasing damaging stuff from his past to discredit him. But take a look at what they’re exposing. From what we can tell, there’s probably video of him giving the Nazi salute or bragging about ally raping a teenage girl or beating up a black jogger. But it’s not that they’re releasing. It’s him acting on LGBT-adjacent activities. Because if they’d expose the former, that would probably get him more support among the right.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:33 am So a thought just crossed my mind. The GOP are pissed at Cawthorn because he exposed their cocaine orgues so they’re releasing damaging stuff from his past to discredit him. But take a look at what they’re exposing. From what we can tell, there’s probably video of him giving the Nazi salute or bragging about ally raping a teenage girl or beating up a black jogger. But it’s not that they’re releasing. It’s him acting on LGBT-adjacent activities. Because if they’d expose the former, that would probably get him more support among the right.
Unquestionably.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:33 am So a thought just crossed my mind. The GOP are pissed at Cawthorn because he exposed their cocaine orgues so they’re releasing damaging stuff from his past to discredit him. But take a look at what they’re exposing. From what we can tell, there’s probably video of him giving the Nazi salute or bragging about ally raping a teenage girl or beating up a black jogger. But it’s not that they’re releasing. It’s him acting on LGBT-adjacent activities. Because if they’d expose the former, that would probably get him more support among the right.
And on the flip side, Dems aren't going to care that he wore a bra over his shirt in a picture. The humping video was still weird, but most Dems aren't going to care if it was a man or a woman under him. Actually, I find it less threatening and offense that it was a man.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Looks like Cawthorn's out.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 pm Looks like Cawthorn's out.
Dr. Oz losing currently too.