Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by sancarlos »

The origins of the Religious Right. Worth a read.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

If you're going to be somewhere on July 4 where the national anthem will be played, stop and think for a minute between now and then.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyone ever been radicalized rightward after Dazed and Confused, the classic look at a slice of life in the 70s filtered through the 90s, didn’t land with their woke kids because they found the hazing and drinking and drug use and the if not misogyny then at least objectification of women somewhere between quaintly amusing to hugely problematic?

At least they appreciated Mitch’s tic with his nose. And the soundtrack.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think there’s a verb or two missing there?

(Fwiw - as a guy who went to high school in the mid-late 70’s, I never saw that kind of hazing, but the rest of the bad behavior certainly was there.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyone ever been radicalized back leftward after some old dude criticized your writing style?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:54 pm Anyone ever been radicalized back leftward after some old dude criticized your writing style?
I knew what you were trying to say!

(You missed a chance to reply simply with “OK Boomer”
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Dude, can you restate your point again for me? Wasn’t trying to mock you. I guess I’m just too old to follow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 pm Dude, can you restate your point again for me? Wasn’t trying to mock you. I guess I’m just too old to follow.
He was lamenting that a movie he enjoys because it is a time capsule of an era people mine and Rass’ age tend to glamorize is extremely problematic when viewed by his kids. (Which is understandable).
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:47 am If you're going to be somewhere on July 4 where the national anthem will be played, stop and think for a minute between now and then.
Women pro cyclists stopped and thought (and knelt). Probably a little longer than a minute.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:58 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:47 am If you're going to be somewhere on July 4 where the national anthem will be played, stop and think for a minute between now and then.
Women pro cyclists stopped and thought (and knelt). Probably a little longer than a minute.
If athletes at a "women's pro cycling" event protest, does it make a sound?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:08 am
Reaper wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:58 pm
If athletes at a "women's pro cycling" event protest, does it make a sound?
It does, the same as each of us fighting through this bullshit internally or in our own small worlds.

ETA: I know you're making a joke, and I of all people get that, just been having a lot of discussion with uterus holders this weekend in my own family.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:29 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 pm Dude, can you restate your point again for me? Wasn’t trying to mock you. I guess I’m just too old to follow.
He was lamenting that a movie he enjoys because it is a time capsule of an era people mine and Rass’ age tend to glamorize is extremely problematic when viewed by his kids. (Which is understandable).
This makes me a little sad, because I know it's 100% true but I just hadn't thought about it. It's probably been 20 years since I last watched Dazed and Confused. When it first came out, I loved it so much. I was a freshman in college, and it reminded me so of a typical high school night. Except we didn't have the meat head jocks beating freshman with paddles and our pants weren't nearly as tight.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

These old movies, problematic though they might seem now, bring up sweet emotions for a lot of us. Now that School's out and the youngins are watching these types of movies it's clear that maybe it isn't all jim dandy. It's easy for us, because we know each other pretty well, to just say what can't we be friends but that doesn't work with the stranglehold some have on politics and woke-ism and the demonization thereof. It's be great if we were all just taking a free ride and letting things happen but I think we have to stand up and say "no more mr. nice guy" and take the lead from the young ones. It's important to ask "do you feel like we do" and if not to really understand how they DO feel.

I get a little paranoid that things are never going to go the way we want, and I think most of us have our hearts in the right place but there's never been any reason we can't get along if we just listen - actively.

Lord have mercy n my soul I wish someone would show me the way. Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to throw a cherry bomb in the proverbial toilet bowl that is discourse in this day and age.

Screw it, i'm just looking for a summer breeze.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I want to dock you points for not working in "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" but that was awesome and while it's a little slow around here at the beginning of the week I'm sure once Tuesday's gone this will be the appreciation it deserves.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 am
This makes me a little sad, because I know it's 100% true but I just hadn't thought about it. It's probably been 20 years since I last watched Dazed and Confused. When it first came out, I loved it so much. I was a freshman in college, and it reminded me so of a typical high school night. Except we didn't have the meat head jocks beating freshman with paddles and our pants weren't nearly as tight.
Dazed and Confused holds up. It was set of a time anyway. Anything "problematic" now was "problematic" when it was released. But that was kind of hte point of the movie, it was a slice of a time in a place that was sorta on the nose.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Awwwwwkwarrrrd.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:45 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 am
Dazed and Confused holds up. It was set of a time anyway. Anything "problematic" now was "problematic" when it was released. But that was kind of hte point of the movie, it was a slice of a time in a place that was sorta on the nose.
My thoughts exactly
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:04 am I want to dock you points for not working in "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" but that was awesome and while it's a little slow around here at the beginning of the week I'm sure once Tuesday's gone this will be the appreciation it deserves.
Yeah, but bonus points for "Jim Dandy"
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

If we had an open border policy, wouldn't these people be alive, as they wouldn't have to hide in a container truck to sneak across the border?
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am If we had an open border policy, wouldn't these people be alive, as they wouldn't have to hide in a container truck to sneak across the border?
Moreover, why is Abbott acting as if he’s sad this happened? Wouldn’t the racist motherfucker bloc of the GOP be pleased 42 brown people overheated to death in a container?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:01 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am If we had an open border policy, wouldn't these people be alive, as they wouldn't have to hide in a container truck to sneak across the border?
Moreover, why is Abbott acting as if he’s sad this happened? Wouldn’t the racist motherfucker bloc of the GOP be pleased 42 brown people overheated to death in a container?
Latinos make up a surprisingly large Republican voting bloc, so while he's probably privately delighted he has to pretend to be upset.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:40 pm Anyone ever been radicalized rightward after Dazed and Confused, the classic look at a slice of life in the 70s filtered through the 90s, didn’t land with their woke kids because they found the hazing and drinking and drug use and the if not misogyny then at least objectification of women somewhere between quaintly amusing to hugely problematic?

At least they appreciated Mitch’s tic with his nose. And the soundtrack.
I need to admit for like 20 years I thought I was Bob Marley on Wooderson’s T-shirt but obviously Ted Nugent makes a great deal more sense.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Many of the women who were involuntarily relocated were also involved in one party consent love making.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ya know, it's just so funny that once Cawthorn lost his primary every single piece of news about him just stopped.

The media likes doing that with so many things.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 pm Ya know, it's just so funny that once Cawthorn lost his primary every single piece of news about him just stopped.

Yeah, but the desired outcome was reached. Not even the GOP wanted that guy around anymore. So now he's an impotent lame duck one term congressman. Nothing newsworthy about that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:35 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 pm Ya know, it's just so funny that once Cawthorn lost his primary every single piece of news about him just stopped.

Yeah, but the desired outcome was reached. Not even the GOP wanted that guy around anymore. So now he's an impotent lame duck one term congressman. Nothing newsworthy about that.
But the schadenfreude was so delicious!
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Happy Canada Day!

From the north coast of Lake Ontario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A compelling argument can be made:

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

pruitt2 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:29 pm Happy Canada Day!

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm
Dick Cheney’s biggest trick was convincing the world that there were worse republicans than Liz Cheney.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

House favored for Republicans.

Senate favored for Republicans. (But listed as "toss up.")

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/

I wonder if Democrats actually care. It'll still be my fault that I'll still vote for them regardless, but have the audacity to criticize them for not being better politicians.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

cerranoredux wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:02 pm
Dick Cheney’s biggest trick was convincing the world that there were worse republicans than Liz Cheney.
Crumbs, and I thought we were fucked with Boris, Priti Patel and Jacob Rees-Mogg. When you lot over the pond do crazy, you go to a whole new level. It is impressive and sad, all at the same time...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:16 pm
cerranoredux wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:02 pm
Crumbs, and I thought we were fucked with Boris, Priti Patel and Jacob Rees-Mogg. When you lot over the pond do crazy, you go to a whole new level. It is impressive and sad, all at the same time...
USA! USA! USA!
-Pruitt
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Watching Boris Johnson's demise is a sweet dish
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Baloney wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am Watching Boris Johnson's demise is a sweet dish
Is it really happening this time?