Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Roe v Wade

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:23 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:45 pm
I think his point is Brown overturned Plessy, so if Obama doesn’t think the Court can overturn precedence, we would still have Plessy (separate but equal, allowing segregation). What Cornyn misses is that the Dobb’s Court overturned a case to take away rights, which has never happened before.
That is what I got from it, but two things. One is it was so inartfully crafted that a reasonable interpretation of that tweet would make a person think “wait, is a US Senator wanting Brown v BOE to be repealed?” And secondly, from that interpretation, the racist-motherfucker bloc of the GOP would read it and think “yeah! This guys on our side!”
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that’s also my read. He has the deniability Symbian noted, but still caters to the racists, as LJam noted.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We should definitely recall Biden.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was a quote tweet from a person reacting to what the Press Secretary said according to a dude from CNN.

Looks like he was fact checked and pulled down the original tweet.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The GOP learned a new word and now they're using it against everyone.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Unrolled tweet thread sums up I think how a lot of us are feeling.
[+] spoiler
My rant: I’m a 52 year-old white guy who would, on paper, have no beef with what happened today or happened on January 6, or what has happened since the Supreme Court shut down ballot counting and put George W. Bush in power. All of it retains my power. But…

I grew up in a poor part of Ohio where large corporations came in and sold off jobs for the sake of profit. And I watched the powers that be decimate lives. For money. And I have never forgotten the families tossed aside for a dollar. So as I got older I became interested in law.

I came up truly believing that institutions would temper the basest instincts of our nature. I studied institutions of our nation, the three branches, and I made a life in law. I believed in checks and balances. We had bad Presidents, and good. Bad politicians, and good.

I think it was after Bush v. Gore, and then 9/11 and the war in Iraq — which had nothing to do with the attacks — that my foundation was truly shaken. We were a nation at war with people for no reason. We were a nation at war with itself over politics.

I never thought that an authoritarian could Happen Here. And then in November 2016 I was proven wrong. I knew then that we were truly in a slide. And I hoped that my first intellectual love, the Law, would save us. It sort of did, but barely. The President tried a coup.

Let me repeat that, because it bears repeating. The President attempted a coup. Full stop. Think about that. The President attempted a coup. But, before those days, he did something almost as damaging.

His party, led by Mitch McConnell, utterly subverted the Constitution’s advise and consent clause by denying Garland a vote. And then, when Ginsburg died, they rammed through Coney Barrett. And before that Kavanaugh, tainted and damaged.

So suddenly, after some really dirty fucking pool, we suddenly had a 6-3 majority comprised of some really ideological politicos. Not elected officials, but appointed, lifetime appointed, Justices.

I’ll confess this: we have had majority Republican-appointed Justices before. Blackmun, who wrote Roe? Republican appointee. O’Connor and Kennedy. Same. I never fully agreed with them, but they kept the evolution of the Law in a lane. The Court was always more sensitive to change

I guess that’s why — and here’s the confession — I never got worked up about a Kennedy or O’Connor or Rehnquist. Or others. Because there was a lane they stayed in. Conservative? Sure. Agree with them? Rarely. But stare decisis meant something to them. They wouldn’t burn it down.

So after 2000 and 9/11 and Trump, where we are now is nowhere I thought we would be. Where the Supreme Court would openly (Thomas’s concurrence today) invite challenges to longstanding rights. And overturn one. Look, and this is fact:

Today the Supreme Court, for the first time ever, chose to no longer recognize a right it conferred 50 years ago. It took away a right. For millions. I can see how we got here, but I never believed it could happen.

Here’s the sad thing for me as a lawyer. I can never again view the Court as an institution for reasoned, independent, apolitical — at least quietly apolitical— judgment. Today the veil was ripped away, and willingly. Brazenly.

The Court announced its decision, and in doing so loudly announced its open hostility to any interpretation of the Constitution that Is Not Theirs. Theirs. Not yours, not mine. Theirs. Their party’s, their party’s donors, their allies in the quest for more power.

So here we are. A nation where the laws are precisely what those in power say it is. And, brothers and sisters, that spells Doom upon our nation. It is as awful as you can imagine. One Justice today, in writing, openly invited cases to overturn a host of rights.

I am a man of the law. I became a non-sectarian cleric — a lawyer — in a time where that meant something. I was proud to be that. Because it meant fealty to a life outside of sway, and dedicated to reason. Regardless of party.

That is no more. I’m sure people of color or of minority status would rightly tell me the Law has never been this way. And I see that. But I always believed that at its core the Law could be a sword for the oppressed, as well as a shield for the privileged. And that in the end…

Right would prevail. I still think — well, I hope — right will prevail. But boy howdy does that tunnel to the other side look long and dark and full of terrors.

I’ve been a lawyer 26 years. And today I’ve never felt more impotent in the belief that the Law is what saves us. I am consumed by the view that the Law will not. The currency is power, regardless of the barriers of institution and commonality. Those barriers are done now.

I’ll add one final warning: To the extent you think the forces at work on January 6 and hard at work today in the Supreme Court are sated and not a threat, you are wrong. Dead wrong. In no point in history have those with power seceded power. They will not rest.

And the next in line is you, and you, and you. Step by step. Slice by slice.

I’m a 52 year-old white dude who, on paper, has no reason to fear.

But I’m a lawyer. And a damned good one.

And I’m scared as Hell.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:48 pm Unrolled tweet thread sums up I think how a lot of us are feeling.
[+] spoiler
My rant: I’m a 52 year-old white guy who would, on paper, have no beef with what happened today or happened on January 6, or what has happened since the Supreme Court shut down ballot counting and put George W. Bush in power. All of it retains my power. But…

I grew up in a poor part of Ohio where large corporations came in and sold off jobs for the sake of profit. And I watched the powers that be decimate lives. For money. And I have never forgotten the families tossed aside for a dollar. So as I got older I became interested in law.

I came up truly believing that institutions would temper the basest instincts of our nature. I studied institutions of our nation, the three branches, and I made a life in law. I believed in checks and balances. We had bad Presidents, and good. Bad politicians, and good.

I think it was after Bush v. Gore, and then 9/11 and the war in Iraq — which had nothing to do with the attacks — that my foundation was truly shaken. We were a nation at war with people for no reason. We were a nation at war with itself over politics.

I never thought that an authoritarian could Happen Here. And then in November 2016 I was proven wrong. I knew then that we were truly in a slide. And I hoped that my first intellectual love, the Law, would save us. It sort of did, but barely. The President tried a coup.

Let me repeat that, because it bears repeating. The President attempted a coup. Full stop. Think about that. The President attempted a coup. But, before those days, he did something almost as damaging.

His party, led by Mitch McConnell, utterly subverted the Constitution’s advise and consent clause by denying Garland a vote. And then, when Ginsburg died, they rammed through Coney Barrett. And before that Kavanaugh, tainted and damaged.

So suddenly, after some really dirty fucking pool, we suddenly had a 6-3 majority comprised of some really ideological politicos. Not elected officials, but appointed, lifetime appointed, Justices.

I’ll confess this: we have had majority Republican-appointed Justices before. Blackmun, who wrote Roe? Republican appointee. O’Connor and Kennedy. Same. I never fully agreed with them, but they kept the evolution of the Law in a lane. The Court was always more sensitive to change

I guess that’s why — and here’s the confession — I never got worked up about a Kennedy or O’Connor or Rehnquist. Or others. Because there was a lane they stayed in. Conservative? Sure. Agree with them? Rarely. But stare decisis meant something to them. They wouldn’t burn it down.

So after 2000 and 9/11 and Trump, where we are now is nowhere I thought we would be. Where the Supreme Court would openly (Thomas’s concurrence today) invite challenges to longstanding rights. And overturn one. Look, and this is fact:

Today the Supreme Court, for the first time ever, chose to no longer recognize a right it conferred 50 years ago. It took away a right. For millions. I can see how we got here, but I never believed it could happen.

Here’s the sad thing for me as a lawyer. I can never again view the Court as an institution for reasoned, independent, apolitical — at least quietly apolitical— judgment. Today the veil was ripped away, and willingly. Brazenly.

The Court announced its decision, and in doing so loudly announced its open hostility to any interpretation of the Constitution that Is Not Theirs. Theirs. Not yours, not mine. Theirs. Their party’s, their party’s donors, their allies in the quest for more power.

So here we are. A nation where the laws are precisely what those in power say it is. And, brothers and sisters, that spells Doom upon our nation. It is as awful as you can imagine. One Justice today, in writing, openly invited cases to overturn a host of rights.

I am a man of the law. I became a non-sectarian cleric — a lawyer — in a time where that meant something. I was proud to be that. Because it meant fealty to a life outside of sway, and dedicated to reason. Regardless of party.

That is no more. I’m sure people of color or of minority status would rightly tell me the Law has never been this way. And I see that. But I always believed that at its core the Law could be a sword for the oppressed, as well as a shield for the privileged. And that in the end…

Right would prevail. I still think — well, I hope — right will prevail. But boy howdy does that tunnel to the other side look long and dark and full of terrors.

I’ve been a lawyer 26 years. And today I’ve never felt more impotent in the belief that the Law is what saves us. I am consumed by the view that the Law will not. The currency is power, regardless of the barriers of institution and commonality. Those barriers are done now.

I’ll add one final warning: To the extent you think the forces at work on January 6 and hard at work today in the Supreme Court are sated and not a threat, you are wrong. Dead wrong. In no point in history have those with power seceded power. They will not rest.

And I’m scared as Hell.
Knock off a few years from his age, and that statement could have been mine.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:32 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:48 pm Unrolled tweet thread sums up I think how a lot of us are feeling.
[+] spoiler

And I’m scared as Hell.
Knock off a few years from his age, and that statement could have been mine.
The gist of it, absolutely. You write far better than he does, however.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He did that in tweets. His writing is excellent.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:52 pm He did that in tweets. His writing is excellent.
Hey, can't both statements be true; he is an excellent writer, but I write far better than he does? I don't see an issue here.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Defector has a blog about Anita Hill's testimony during Thomas's confirmation hearings. It was galling, and if you need to get even angrier, here is the video the post links to with Senators asking utterly ridiculous questions.

I was in 11th grade, and I remember thinking man, this guy is a scumbag. I feel like this needs to be repeated every time he is mentioned in the news. "Justice Hill, who Professor Anita Hill credibly claimed asked her about pubic hairs on Coke cans at work, stated in his concurring opinion..."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:11 am
tennbengal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:52 pm He did that in tweets. His writing is excellent.
Hey, can't both statements be true; he is an excellent writer, but I write far better than he does? I don't see an issue here.
I made no judgment on your writing. it is excellent. Just noting, that guy did that in tweets. Pretty impressive, really.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:47 am Defector has a blog about Anita Hill's testimony during Thomas's confirmation hearings. It was galling, and if you need to get even angrier, here is the video the post links to with Senators asking utterly ridiculous questions.

I was in 11th grade, and I remember thinking man, this guy is a scumbag. I feel like this needs to be repeated every time he is mentioned in the news. "Justice Hill, who Professor Anita Hill credibly claimed asked her about pubic hairs on Coke cans at work, stated in his concurring opinion..."
Last year I listened to Anita Hill on a podcast (Preet Bharara maybe?) discussing the hearing, the aftermath for her, and how much the workplace sexual harassment landscape has changed. As someone who conducts workplace sexual harassment investigations and a person with a capacity for empathy, the way the GOP Senators (and Biden to an extent) treated Ms. Hill was absolutely disgusting. I was filled with rage and on the verge of tears listening to her. This video showed a bit of Arlen Spector, but he completely belittled Ms. Hill and minimized all of her allegations. When they asked her why, if this is how he treats women, she was the only one who came forward...because she was the only one brave enough to suffer through the humiliation assholes like you put her through!!! Fuck all of them. I somewhat followed the hearing at the time, but didn't understand it nearly the way I do now. At the time, I loved the SNL skit parody of the hearings. I thought it was a slight exaggeration of the questions, but now I realize how much more it is a damning burn on the depravity of the Senators asking their vile questions.

-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

"Historic victory for white life." This from the same person who last year started off a sentence with "Hitler was right about one thing," so, well, you know.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

She can say she misspoke, just like Cornyn said he was misunderstood. Plausible deniability.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:38 pm She can say she misspoke, just like Cornyn said he was misunderstood. Plausible deniability.

"Unfit" according to people who have even an ounce of respect for what it's supposed to represent. She won with 70% of the vote last time out. I have a toonie that says she gets at least 65% of the vote in November. She knows her constituents.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I hate Illinois Nazis.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Need to put some Second Amendment remedies in Kavanaugh’s skull.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:15 pm
Awesome. Literally nothing they said was wrong.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just catching up here. Still laughing at "Supreme Court rules 5-4 to throw beer at slut." That might be the greatest meme I've ever seen.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:15 pm
Awesome. Literally nothing they said was wrong.
Trevor Noah is pretty good with his stuff too.

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

image.png
image.png (245.61 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:47 am
No you didn't. If you did, Trump never would've won.

Fucking progressives man.
Noli Timere Messorem
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:49 am

A stupid quote (hers not yours) as it reflects a basic ignorance of who makes the laws in the country.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That ire needs to be directed at battleground states. Because 5+ million more people voted for Clinton than Trump.

And not for nothing, like 80+% of voters literally don't give a shit until an emergent situation hits them in the face obviously. The average American is just that....AVERAGE. C student at best or dumber that wasn't taught civics.

And seeing how Democrats, except progressives, have more urgency to fundraise than put a plan together, they are proven to be inept. And when they are the ones currently in power, and the C students see that, they go "At least the other team has its shit together."

So, I voted for Clinton. And my non battleground state went to her by over 8 points. So ok.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:33 pm That ire needs to be directed at battleground states. Because 5+ million more people voted for Clinton than Trump.

And not for nothing, like 80+% of voters literally don't give a shit until an emergent situation hits them in the face obviously. The average American is just that....AVERAGE. C student at best or dumber that wasn't taught civics.

And seeing how Democrats, except progressives, have more urgency to fundraise than put a plan together, they are proven to be inept. And when they are the ones currently in power, and the C students see that, they go "At least the other team has its shit together."

So, I voted for Clinton. And my non battleground state went to her by over 8 points. So ok.
Her ire needs to be directed at batteground states, but something tells me she herself needs a civics lesson.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:10 pm

A stupid quote (hers not yours) as it reflects a basic ignorance of who makes the laws in the country.
Remember when Obama ran on codifying Roe as his top priority and then we gave him a super majority and then it wasn't a priority anymore. Same sentiment and completely valid.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:08 pm
pruitt2 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Remember when Obama ran on codifying Roe as his top priority and then we gave him a super majority and then it wasn't a priority anymore. Same sentiment and completely valid.
You'd have to ask Obama why he didn't put forth something that would codify Roe v Wade into law. Of course, Biden isn't Obama, and this isn't 2009.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Answering my own question...Democrats probably had several congressmen/women who wouldn't vote for it, so the super majority was probably shite.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Answering your own question for you … explain how your last few posts prove that “progressives” have fucked all this and how voting blue is the answer. Read them again three or four times in tandem before just snarking back.
Last edited by mister d on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

They're all one and the same, ER! They use their losses to raise more funds, and scream at their voters to give them power or they're fucked and then every time we give them power, they do nothing, and we somehow buy into this idea that they're still impotent. Watch Kamala's interview with CNN today. Their fuckfield is completely barren.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And their whole M.O. is blaming their voters for their own incompetence. What has the Oval Office done to make Manchin and Synema pay a political penalty for blocking their entire fucking agenda? Name a thing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But J-Lo if we don’t concede 24 months to Manchin watering down an entire hypothetical agenda before still not voting for half of it, we might get a Republican in WV who also doesn’t vote for it (but holds no power over the party). Imagine how bad that would be in terms of a different path to the same result. Grow up!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Strap bombs to your chests or else you're fucking cowards.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 pm Strap bombs to your chests or else you're fucking cowards.
I'm actually not being intentionally obtuse or defensive. I really don't know what that means.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 pm Strap bombs to your chests or else you're fucking cowards.
Right? Fucking put up or shut up for fuck’s sake.