A Nasty Stiffarm

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Re: A Nasty Stiffarm

Post by pruitt2 »

4th shot yesterday - if anyone touches my right shoulder, I will scream.

This one hurts.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The wife and I got another Covid vax booster yesterday. 5th shot!

The nurse asked me if I also wanted a flu shot, so I said, "sure", since I was already there.

Two slightly sore shoulders today, but no big deal. Otherwise feeling just fine.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Been debating this with some friends. I haven't gotten a booster since the first round, back in December. Kids got a booster in January; my wife was also December. Am I being stupid, or as a not-old, healthy guy with no comorbidities, should I keep getting boosted? I get the flu shot every year, why does a COVID boost seem different to me? I've never been positive, that I know of. Been exposed to the virus in situations where almost everyone else got it. Took home tests when exposed and even went into a clinic for a test, always negative. I've taken home tests a few times when I had cold symptoms, but as I expected, negative for COVID.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 pm Been debating this with some friends. I haven't gotten a booster since the first round, back in December. Kids got a booster in January; my wife was also December. Am I being stupid, or as a not-old, healthy guy with no comorbidities, should I keep getting boosted? I get the flu shot every year, why does a COVID boost seem different to me? I've never been positive, that I know of. Been exposed to the virus in situations where almost everyone else got it. Took home tests when exposed and even went into a clinic for a test, always negative. I've taken home tests a few times when I had cold symptoms, but as I expected, negative for COVID.
Well, to each his own, but everything I read tells me that if you get a booster, not only are your chances lower for getting the virus, but if you do get it, your hardships are much more likely to be less problematic than those of an unvaxxed/unboosted person.

So, as your non-professional medical advisor, I suggest you get boosted.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:48 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 pm Been debating this with some friends. I haven't gotten a booster since the first round, back in December. Kids got a booster in January; my wife was also December. Am I being stupid, or as a not-old, healthy guy with no comorbidities, should I keep getting boosted? I get the flu shot every year, why does a COVID boost seem different to me? I've never been positive, that I know of. Been exposed to the virus in situations where almost everyone else got it. Took home tests when exposed and even went into a clinic for a test, always negative. I've taken home tests a few times when I had cold symptoms, but as I expected, negative for COVID.
Well, to each his own, but everything I read tells me that if you get a booster, not only are your chances lower for getting the virus, but if you do get it, your hardships are much more likely to be less problematic than those of an unvaxxed/unboosted person.

Yeah I still hear enough stories about how bad Covid is and how long Covid is still a thing - a booster is a no-brainer in my book. I'm now double-vaxxed and triple-boosted.

(Of course, it's two of the older guys recommending boosters. That may make a difference.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:57 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:48 pm

Yeah I still hear enough stories about how bad Covid is and how long Covid is still a thing - a booster is a no-brainer in my book. I'm now double-vaxxed and triple-boosted.

(Of course, it's two of the older guys recommending boosters. That may make a difference.)
I asked for advice from my PCP about this very thing about three weeks ago (3rd booster). He said, "Personally, I'm waiting for a few million people to get it and see if there are any issues that pop up. Then I'm going in to get boosted. I recommend you do the same."
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

What if you’re one of the people who does get it and an “issue” does pop up? Versus the very small hassle of getting a shot?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If you've got school age kids then you've probably been exposed a lot and I assume that helps. To trh point where I just make the kid wear a mask when he gets covid and keep it rolling at school. He's either had it twice since school. Possibly lingering from the first one but the kids keep me boosted
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

As someone who couldn't get the second booster because he wasn't quite old enough for his state's regulations, then got COVID a couple months later, I recommend getting the booster. One day of feeling meh (from either vaccine shot or the first booster) was a lot better than the week of the actual illness where each day I felt worse than after any shot (and a few more days of waning symptoms after).
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:53 pm What if you’re one of the people who does get it and an “issue” does pop up? Versus the very small hassle of getting a shot?
The way things are now, there is no hassle to getting the booster. I'm walking distance to 2 CVSs and a Walgreens, and I never see a line for boosters. Last December I was on the bench for my daughter's basketball game when 10 out of 12 players were symptomatic along with both of the other coaches. My daughter had no symptoms, but we quarantined anyways, as it was during Christmas break and we cancelled plans with grandparents. Since most of her friends were sick, quarantining wasn't even an option. I took tests because I was going to my in-laws to pick up Christmas presents and wanted to be extra cautious. I forgot, we went to a formal gala event in NYC and people were packed in really tight (event for a hospital system, mostly doctors, and they did not require masks. I got text alerts that I was in close contact with someone who tested positive. I think after 2.5 years of this shit, my fear gland is all tapped out. I never made a decision not to get a booster, I just never got one. I'm considering it for myself, but for the kids I think I'll hold off. It seems like there are more side effects for kids than adults, and the virus is less dangerous for kids, so it doesn't seem worth the risk, even if very small.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:47 pm
As someone who couldn't get the second booster because he wasn't quite old enough for his state's regulations, then got COVID a couple months later, I recommend getting the booster. One day of feeling meh (from either vaccine shot or the first booster) was a lot better than the week of the actual illness where each day I felt worse than after any shot (and a few more days of waning symptoms after).
Good point, I forgot about the age restriction on the boosters. I wasn't old enough when the 2nd round came out, then I forgot about it. Do you still have to be 50, or is it available for everyone?
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Good point, I forgot about the age restriction on the boosters. I wasn't old enough when the 2nd round came out, then I forgot about it. Do you still have to be 50, or is it available for everyone?
New York is now recommending for age 12-and-up.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Haven't they basically limited age restrictions on all the vaccinations and boosters, other than for kids?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just got a text from NJ Dept of Health saying CDC recommends a booster for everyone over 12 if they are 2 months past their primary series.. does that mean first two doses? Either way, I should probably just get it done.

It was funny going into Canada, had to show proof of vax, but since it’s been so long, shouldn’t I be considered unvaxxed? I think that’s where I’ve given up, none of the rules really make any sense,
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yes. Get the booster. The updated one.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i just got my 2nd booster yesterday - was sick all day today (same reaction i had to the first one) but by dinnertime i was 100% again.

I got the VID back in April and it was bad bad. got a nice case of pneumonia as a companion-fare, no charge added; 2 weeks just laid the fuck out. Then was fatigued for about a month+ after. I would very much like to not get it again.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I interviewed a woman with COVID today (phone) for an investigation. Good lord, I’ve never heard anyone sound so horrible. Felt bad asking more questions.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just got my COVID booster (first since last November) and flu vaccine pumped into my left arm.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:32 pm Just got my COVID booster (first since last November) and flu vaccine pumped into my left arm.
Hoo boy, did that last Friday. Was feeling it bad the following day, but fine on Sunday. Godspeed!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:49 pm
rass wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:32 pm Just got my COVID booster (first since last November) and flu vaccine pumped into my left arm.
Hoo boy, did that last Friday. Was feeling it bad the following day, but fine on Sunday. Godspeed!
Fuck Tuesdays!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So if I was leaving for a long weekend Friday morning, I should get mine no later than tomorrow?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:48 am So if I was leaving for a long weekend Friday morning, I should get mine no later than tomorrow?
If my experience is your guide, yes. My wife only got the COVID booster, not the flu shot as well, and seemed to be doing better than I did. She's much tougher than me though.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So far just a sore arm.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I think the NJ version leads to very little side effects.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wife and I did the double (flu and vid)... I felt totally fine other than a sore arm for a little over a day, wife felt foggy for a couple of days.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I haven’t heard of anybody having much trouble with this one, beyond mild symptoms for a day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

You guys persuaded me, got a booster and a flu shot for me and the boy this afternoon and signed the wife and daughter up for Wednesday. Both arms surprisingly sore already. While we are waiting for the pharmacist, an old man wanders into the vaccine area. I offer him my seat, he instead decides to sit behind the curtain. Pharmacist came back at that moment and looked unsure how to handle it. I laughed and told her to take him first. She asks his name, he just gives his first name, same as mine. He says his birthday, she keeps saying it doesn't match, but then realizes he is saying "June" instead of 2. Same name, same exact birthdate. For a minute I was worried he stole my appointment and took my shot!
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like an episode of the old Twilight Zone TV show. Maybe you met your older self, time-traveling from another dimension.

Nee-noo nee-noo nee-noo…
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I had the flu and vid last week in the same arm. Besides feeling like I blocked a haymaker with my arm I felt fine.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the very first vid shot hurt because I hadn't realized that my arm was in a weird posture and it flexed up my muscle (i'm just swole). Drew a little blood and taught (reminded) me that you need to relax your arm.

This booster actually hurt going in, which was something I hadn't felt before. Kind of a little sting. Didn't even know he'd done the flu shot, by comparison.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My original vaccine was the same. Legit hurt.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So not vaccine related, but I think ever since I had covid in May, my nose is weirdly fucked up. For example, I CANNOT STAND the smell of coffee brewing anymore. It actively turns my stomach. I have to close my office door every morning until the second pot is made. Never bothered me before, and it's now been three different blends: Starbucks commercial, the folgers i mentioned, and now a local company that roasts their own.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sounds awful
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That sucks, AB. Hopefully you'll be able to recover from that.

My wife and I are doing our first long haul flights since Covid this week. We've already been vaxxed and boosted for Covid but got our flu shots yesterday as well. So nasty stiffarms all around the Swamp Steve household.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just brewing, not the actual end product?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yep. Once it's done it's no issue. I can even drink it, but it isn't very good anyway.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Got booster #2 and a flu shot a week and a half ago. Wasn't bad, but I was definitely a bit more tired, but that's no biggie.

But AB, this nose thing. I have something potentially similar. My sinuses, nostrils, tip of my nose, tongue, and tonsils get this fuzzy, sometimes tingly feeling ever since I had COVID in August. It's not often, but I noticed it after drinking coffee the other day. (And it's also really intense with edibles. Especially the sinuses.)

However, the could be an allergy component to this too because of all the housing construction near me still going on.

Regardless. I would not be shocked to see some sort of article about long COVID and coffee's effect.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Stop snorting the edibles.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Booster knocked me out for the whole day yesterday. Good games on, so I had that going for me.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:05 am Booster knocked me out for the whole day yesterday. Good games on, so I had that going for me.
Just realized I should have put off the booster until the World Cup started, then used it as an excuse to sit on the couch for an entire day.
-Pruitt