Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d »

I usually think if it sounds pop-ish but also very good. Technically Japanese Breakfast kinda broke. Carseat Headrest never did. I don't think Foals are very good but I'm surprised they aren't popular. Trying to think of my other wrong ones ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The new arctic monkeys sounds like they are trying to make a full album of James Bond movie theme songs.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:39 am The new arctic monkeys sounds like they are trying to make a full album of James Bond movie theme songs.
I really liked the first single (There Better be a Mirrorball). It has a definite vibe and I guess that could be downbeat James Bond title sequence.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

New Archers of Loaf (first in 24 years!) dropped today. Already had it on vinyl as the preorder arrived earlier this week, but my turntable set up is absolute shit. Really looking forward to digging in. Was a big fan of the song "Surface Noise" that they leaked early, but not whatever the second one was. Will report back later.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:12 am New Archers of Loaf (first in 24 years!) dropped today. Already had it on vinyl as the preorder arrived earlier this week, but my turntable set up is absolute shit. Really looking forward to digging in. Was a big fan of the song "Surface Noise" that they leaked early, but not whatever the second one was. Will report back later.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just learned my 7 year thinks the lyrics to “Careless Whisper” are:

🎵 Are you really gonna dance again
Got no spirit
Got no friends 🎵

Might be even darker than the original.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Taylor Swift first artist to ever claim all top 10 spots on the Billboard Hot 100.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Not to insult any of Taylor Swift's fanbois and girls, but this to me suggests there's something easily game-able with the Billboard charting system, or the very streaming platforms themselves.

I mean, yeah, Taylor Swift has talent, but GTFO with this groupthink nonsense where she is so good she owns the entire top ten. :roll:
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I like her, but the new album is boring.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:29 am Not to insult any of Taylor Swift's fanbois and girls, but this to me suggests there's something easily game-able with the Billboard charting system, or the very streaming platforms themselves.

I mean, yeah, Taylor Swift has talent, but GTFO with this groupthink nonsense where she is so good she owns the entire top ten. :roll:
If everyone is listening to her album in full more than they're listening to anything else, it kinda makes sense? I don't know that its accurate, but I can see how it could be.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:23 am I like her, but the new album is boring.
Same.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of concerts, what age is old enough to see a show at a ~3,000 seat venue? Alvvays at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, so not like Taylor Swift at MSG but also not like some 500 person SRO punk show.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:57 am Taylor Swift first artist to ever claim all top 10 spots on the Billboard Hot 100.
I'm sure it would have happened many times in the past if we consumed and counted music the same way. Until fairly recently, an artist had to release a single to get it played and counted. Now with Spotify et al, the whole album drops, folks play the whole thing, and bang, it's the most-consumed music. Gotta be super popular, sure, but it's not like that's a rare thing in popular music. There are always big stars.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:56 am Speaking of concerts, what age is old enough to see a show at a ~3,000 seat venue? Alvvays at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, so not like Taylor Swift at MSG but also not like some 500 person SRO punk show.
If it's actually seated, seems like even pre-teen would be OK (assuming it's an all-ages show of course). Not sure I'd do a GA show with younger than a mature teen.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:56 am Speaking of concerts, what age is old enough to see a show at a ~3,000 seat venue? Alvvays at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, so not like Taylor Swift at MSG but also not like some 500 person SRO punk show.
What are the venue's rules?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, we're taking both of ours to a GA show to see Vandoliers in a few weeks. When I saw them in Dallas in August, there were some kids their age there. Since they were begging me to go, I thought I'd take them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Venue allows, there's individual seating and its not a show that'll draw anything wilder than weed smoke. One of the bigger drawbacks is the location in Brooklyn doesn't exactly scream kids.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:19 pm Yeah, we're taking both of ours to a GA show to see Vandoliers in a few weeks. When I saw them in Dallas in August, there were some kids their age there. Since they were begging me to go, I thought I'd take them.
Looking forward to stories about the girls singing along to "Bless Your Drunken Heart"!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:44 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:19 pm Yeah, we're taking both of ours to a GA show to see Vandoliers in a few weeks. When I saw them in Dallas in August, there were some kids their age there. Since they were begging me to go, I thought I'd take them.
Looking forward to stories about the girls singing along to "Bless Your Drunken Heart"!
That's their favorite!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Strategically forgot to set my alarm and got everyone 45 extra minutes sleep this AM in anticipation of the show tonight.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:36 am
Strategically forgot to set my alarm and got everyone 45 extra minutes sleep this AM in anticipation of the show tonight.
How was it? Also, did you get them any ear protection?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty great. Quick 1:15 set was just the right length and, except for when the (drug using!) guy in front was leaning too far one way or the other, she had clear sightlines. Got a cool t-shirt and a pic in front of the SOLD OUT sign out front and I learned Liquid Death is just water.

(Earplugs didn't make it more than 3 or 4 songs. Too uncomfortable/obstructionary and Alvvays wasn't so loud that I was worried.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:32 am Pretty great. Quick 1:15 set vvas just the right length and, except for vvhen the (drug using!) guy in front vvas leaning too far one vvay or the other, she had clear sightlines. Got a cool t-shirt and a pic in front of the SOLD OUT sign out front and I learned Liquid Death is just vvater.

(Earplugs didn't make it more than 3 or 4 songs. Too uncomfortable/obstructionary and Alvvays vvasn't so loud that I vvas vvorried.)
fixed
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Well done
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This is insane.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Ringer's year end album and song lists are out and damned if I barely know anyone on the lists. A few names but nothing i've listened to. I just don't get out much.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I start my countdown Saturday! You'll know some of those I bet!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I remember back when I'd make year end lists and it was like 75 albums that had to be cut down to 10. I don't think I listened to 10 new 2022 albums all year.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am I remember back when I'd make year end lists and it was like 75 albums that had to be cut down to 10. I don't think I listened to 10 new 2022 albums all year.
They did movies, too, and I had only heard of a couple of them. And I definitely watched less good movies this year. Directly related to trying to get to bed earlier.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:57 am
mister d wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am I remember back when I'd make year end lists and it was like 75 albums that had to be cut down to 10. I don't think I listened to 10 new 2022 albums all year.
They did movies, too, and I had only heard of a couple of them. And I definitely watched less good movies this year. Directly related to trying to get to bed earlier.
I'm right there with AB. I remember in '99 I saw over 40 movies in the theater, and at least another 100 for the first time on video. Now I struggle to see one new to me once a month. But sleep is good.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My total this year was 203. Not counting one that came out last week that is so good, I'm going Grammy rules and saving it for next year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Especially with Spotify versus buying full albums like I did 10-15 years ago, I really have no good excuse other than aging (and having a certain wife now working from home / sharing the speaker).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:11 am Especially with Spotify versus buying full albums like I did 10-15 years ago, I really have no good excuse other than aging (and having a certain wife now working from home / sharing the speaker).
Which wife is it?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I will say I am dramatically scaling back next year. Or becoming way more critical upon first listen.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Lion's Roar by First Aid Kit is a banger in its own way. Really fits a melancholy mood.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I doubt I listened to 10 new albums since the 2010. And by new, I mean the year it came out. Listened to lots of "new" albums 10 years after they came out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Apple Music has played a lot of things I probably wouldn’t have normally. Not while albums but enough to make me check out more of their work.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Still have a few days to add the new Alvvays to that list.
tennbengal wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:16 am The Lion's Roar by First Aid Kit is a banger in its own way. Really fits a melancholy mood.
A lot of their songs sound like what I believe country would sound like if I didn’t hate country.