Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by Pruitt3 »

Knowing that the end is near doesn't make it any less painful.

I am so sorry.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She looks like she was the best. Sorry for you and your family’s loss nonlinear.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Really sorry, man. I know it’s hard. We’ve got a 14 year-old retriever/collie mix and I’m dreading the day…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:27 am Those of you who are friends on Facebook will have seen, and sorry to be a bummer, but...

Had to put our 14 year old chocolate Labradoodle to sleep today. She was simply out of gas this last week. Had been hand feeding her boiled chicken for about a month and we knew things were winding down, but... You guys know the deal. Nothing easy about saying goodbye to a companion who loved us all unconditionally.

Hug your family, hug your pets...
Fuck, man. Sorry to hear it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:27 am Those of you who are friends on Facebook will have seen, and sorry to be a bummer, but...

Had to put our 14 year old chocolate Labradoodle to sleep today. She was simply out of gas this last week. Had been hand feeding her boiled chicken for about a month and we knew things were winding down, but... You guys know the deal. Nothing easy about saying goodbye to a companion who loved us all unconditionally.

You gave her the best life she coulda hoped for. And she did the same for you. Sorry for your loss, NLFC.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That sucks. Sorry to hear.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Oh man. I'm sorry NFC.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks, fellas. TWILTS.

As Tobi got on in years, and with the onset of COVID, she became my wife's shadow. Which was very funny, because while my wife loves animals, she's just not the type to be hugging and petting her. (That was a job for me and the kids, mostly.) She always truly loved the dog, but these last few years they were always together.

So, of course, she's absolutely gutted today. She's a crier on a good day, but today... I'm just giving her space and/or hugs as needed. Her entire family is like that (we had her staying with our in-laws while we took a trip last week/had to cut that short... it came on REALLY fast at the end), and they were bawling when we picked her up (literally) to take her home yesterday.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do the eulogy at my FIL's funeral. I had to put the cat and dog down solo (at the vets) and I really don't mind it, because I know how traumatic it would be for my wife or kids to have to handle.

Sorry, I'm kind of rambling, but it's been a surreal day.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:42 pm Thanks, fellas. TWILTS.

As Tobi got on in years, and with the onset of COVID, she became my wife's shadow. Which was very funny, because while my wife loves animals, she's just not the type to be hugging and petting her. (That was a job for me and the kids, mostly.) She always truly loved the dog, but these last few years they were always together.

So, of course, she's absolutely gutted today. She's a crier on a good day, but today... I'm just giving her space and/or hugs as needed. Her entire family is like that (we had her staying with our in-laws while we took a trip last week/had to cut that short... it came on REALLY fast at the end), and they were bawling when we picked her up (literally) to take her home yesterday.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do the eulogy at my FIL's funeral. I had to put the cat and dog down solo (at the vets) and I really don't mind it, because I know how traumatic it would be for my wife or kids to have to handle.

Sorry, I'm kind of rambling, but it's been a surreal day.
Ramble on, man. We’re here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry man, that really sucks.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, NLFC. It’s the worst.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

So sorry to hear. It is good that you can handle the things at the vet...it is so important.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry to hear, Nonlinear.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Song from the perspective of the dog the Russians sent into space to die. If you haven't heard it, gonna wanna grab a tissue first. Gut-wrenching.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I always thought Laika was a Siberian Husky. When I was a kid, there was a husky in the neighborhood named Laika, and I guess I assumed it was the same breed. Can’t believe I never saw a picture of the famous Laika before.

Now that I think about it, you could never get a husky to do all the training. The are stubborn as fuck.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:21 pm Song from the perspective of the dog the Russians sent into space to die. If you haven't heard it, gonna wanna grab a tissue first. Gut-wrenching.

There's no way I can listen to that.

I read this graphic novel a while ago and I was literally sobbing at the end. If I even hear the name "Laika" it makes me tear up.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, it was a tough night. My wife is out of town and I’m home with the geriatric animals. Poor Cinders has tummy troubles. Had to let her out six times during the night so she could go shit diarrhea in the backyard. (Good dog that she is, she always wakes me up and has never shit in the house - and you know I get up fast when she says she has to go!) Goopy poops have been an issue and she’s been on chicken and rice for several days now. Every time I think it’s better and I reintroduce a bit of kibble, the problem resurfaces. Sheesh. And, the night issues are like having a newborn child again.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Tried just plain canned pumpkin?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:21 am Tried just plain canned pumpkin?
We did in the past. But that large an amount of fiber isn’t as helpful when loose poop is an issue.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:10 am Man, it was a tough night. My wife is out of town and I’m home with the geriatric animals. Poor Cinders has tummy troubles. Had to let her out six times during the night so she could go shit diarrhea in the backyard. (Good dog that she is, she always wakes me up and has never shit in the house - and you know I get up fast when she says she has to go!) Goopy poops have been an issue and she’s been on chicken and rice for several days now. Every time I think it’s better and I reintroduce a bit of kibble, the problem resurfaces. Sheesh. And, the night issues are like having a newborn child again.
Pepto Bismol works for my old dog. Just add one pill to her food and that fixes it.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ok, Rerun. I gave her an antacid/anti-gas chewable tablet with her dinner (don’t have any Pepto). Hope it helps her sleep through the night.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Be very careful about giving your dog Pepto… It can cause gastric bleeding if given too much. Vets that do say to take it should only recommend one or two doses before stopping.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:09 pm Be very careful about giving your dog Pepto… It can cause gastric bleeding if given too much. Vets that do say to take it should only recommend one or two doses before stopping.
Got it. My wife returned tonight, and is not pleased with my new addition to the dog’s diet.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just found out my mom's dog Ali Jo is crossing the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon. My parents were never dog people until retirement and they had two amazing pooches - Maggie and Ali Jo. The latter joined my Dad and me on a road trip from Santa Cruz after my Mom broke her hip in 2018. We bonded on that trip and I'm really going to miss her. But my Mom is going to be a wreck. She's been so strong since my Dad's sudden passing a couple years ago and I really think this is going to break her in a way we haven't seen. Ali Jo is a piece of my Dad that is still with her and she's going to be gone. It's going to be a rough drive to and back from Georgetown today.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

That is so sad.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:20 am I just found out my mom's dog Ali Jo is crossing the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon. My parents were never dog people until retirement and they had two amazing pooches - Maggie and Ali Jo. The latter joined my Dad and me on a road trip from Santa Cruz after my Mom broke her hip in 2018. We bonded on that trip and I'm really going to miss her. But my Mom is going to be a wreck. She's been so strong since my Dad's sudden passing a couple years ago and I really think this is going to break her in a way we haven't seen. Ali Jo is a piece of my Dad that is still with her and she's going to be gone. It's going to be a rough drive to and back from Georgetown today.
Oh, man. I'm really sorry, Giff. My condolences to you and her.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, man. Sucks.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hug your dogs, cats, fish, catfish and lizards tonight friends.

(But especially lizards if you got ‘em)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw, sorry man
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, AB.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sorry, bud.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shit, sorry to hear that AB.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry, AB.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Thanks, guys. He was a good little dude.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, AB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That sucks. So sorry to hear it AB
Canadian International
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sorry, AB.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Sorry, AB. Long live AB the Green!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Stupid puppy chewed some stupid small little metal hoop thing off his stupid new leash and we can't find it and now I have to keep a close eye on his stupid shit for the next day or two?