Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:22 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:39 am Just watched Glass Onion, the new Knives Out film. Lots of fun. As expected, Daniel Craig and Edward Norton were good. But Janelle Monae was a revelation as an actress. Really good (and of course very pretty).
There are quibbles...

But it is just so much fun to watch good actors have a great time with good material. Daniel Craig is solid gold with this character.
I agree with a Pruitt movie take for once. Quibbles but a lot of fun.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:57 am If you’re not one of the dummies who admitted that they hate A Christmas Story last year then the new A Christmas Story Christmas on HBO is maybe worth a watch because you’d see it more as a love letter to a movie you like despite if it’s flaws and not a cynical rehash.

A lot of the original cast is involved and Ralphie landed and absolute babe.
I watched last night and really liked it. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it hit all the right nostalgia buttons for me, a nice homage to the original. My wife, however, has never seen the original straight through, so at about the halfway point she was not as into it and went to bed.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

No chance. Fuck that franchise!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:59 am No chance. Fuck that franchise!
Is it the fake KY accent or just your hate for TLJ that got you here?

(I think I know what you meant)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:19 am
Further evidence that Ben Shapiro is a jackass...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Right? It’s pathetic enough that this no-talent assclown gives his opinion on artists with actual skill; worse is people actually listen to him.

Also, the fucking talentless cons are mad at Rian Johnson because he made The Last Jedi, who had the temerity to give women and non-white characters agency, so they need to attack him at all times. Fucking puds.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:07 pm Right? It’s pathetic enough that this no-talent assclown gives his opinion on artists with actual skill; worse is people actually listen to him.
And Shapiro thinks he can start putting out movies/tv shows with "conservative content"...

Can Nashville Be Hollywood for Conservatives?
For years, the Daily Wire’s headquarters were in Los Angeles — the dream factory of coastal, liberal America. Then, in the fall of 2020, the company moved to Nashville, with the goal of expanding to become an all-you-can-eat buffet of conservative entertainment, complete with its own streaming platform and production house.
The article is worth a click...if only for the very definition of "all hat....no cowboy" picture of Shapiro.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Black Adam wasn’t quite the complete clusterfuck I expected. Especially after they got the weird Smashing Pumpkins and Rolling Stones scenes out of the way. The Player song was perfect, though.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:14 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:07 pm Right? It’s pathetic enough that this no-talent assclown gives his opinion on artists with actual skill; worse is people actually listen to him.
And Shapiro thinks he can start putting out movies/tv shows with "conservative content"...

For years, the Daily Wire’s headquarters were in Los Angeles — the dream factory of coastal, liberal America. Then, in the fall of 2020, the company moved to Nashville, with the goal of expanding to become an all-you-can-eat buffet of conservative entertainment, complete with its own streaming platform and production house.
The article is worth a click...if only for the very definition of "all hat....no cowboy" picture of Shapiro.
He's currently running a childrens tv production company as well.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:19 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:14 pm

He's currently running a childrens tv production company as well.
Yep...with this content:
and a forthcoming children’s cartoon about a family of home-schooled chinchillas.
I'm sure it will be a HUGE hit...
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Well, "Phineas and Ferb" and "Shaun the Sheep" led to tens of thousands of kids becoming meth-dealing strippers who vote a straight Democrat ticket, so it kind of makes sense.

And definitely not a way to flush (an alleged) $100 million down the toilet.

Without broadcast partners, there is no way on earth that pisher kapo will recoup that money.
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was just going to ask who Shapiro's broadcast partner is for this one cartoon of his.

Pruitt, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the big broadcasters only work with major league content providers?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:58 pm I was just going to ask who Shapiro's broadcast partner is for this one cartoon of his.

Pruitt, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the big broadcasters only work with major league content providers?
Yes....

But no too.

A small company stands a chance IF they can bring a broadcaster (or broadcasters) in as a partner. They'd have to give away points for being able to have a place to show their product.

Obviously the bigger production companies have a track record and co-production partners to spread the risk and to share in the rewards. (Often, the company that owns the IP will seek out partners from different parts of the world. These episodes aren't cheap to produce. Only the big, big boys like Disney, Netflix, Nick... will bankroll 13-50 episode runs.)

Presales are key- if a company can get commitments from broadcasters in a number of major markets, than they are good to go. Smaller companies can do this, but they would have to demonstrate the capability to be able to produce episodes on time. Which means working with "service companies" which will do the actual nuts and bolts animating. (Small companies can not afford to keep dozens and dozens of animators on staff.)

To spend $100 million on a start up with no library of titles to sell seems crazy. They don't even have enough product to run a streaming service.

Why would a foreign broadcaster spend money on a product that no one is asking for? Kids' animation is not exactly filled with "anti-family" messages. The "worst" (from Daily Wire's POV) might be a secondary character having two Moms. And there are no lack of new shows every season...

Their target market is ridiculous - that happy Chinchilla family won't be competing for eyeballs with immoral, anti-family shows. But with cheerful pre-school shows which almost ALWAYS include positive messages. And the clip would indicate that it's going for the same niche as "Bluey" (the best animated pre-school and young kids show out there).

Not coincidentally, Bluey is one of Disney Jr's big hits. And ever since Disney spoke out against "Don't Say Gay" in Florida, these assholes have gone after them.

One thing is certain - no Black mermaids at Daily Wire.
Canadian International
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Finally watched Glass Onion and quite enjoyed it. Don’t think it was quite as good as Knives Out, but as said above, so much fun to watch an A list cast have that much fun.
[+] spoiler
Also enjoyed seeing pseudo Elon get pantsed.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think Wakanda Forever did about everything a Marvel fan could ask for (advanced the MCU plot forward and introduced new characters all without getting in the way of telling its own story), and all that under awful circumstances.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I watched two other very long movies this week.

The Batman felt very much like a Batman-themed adaptation of Se7en, but I don’t know if that’s a bad thing. Other than his hair, I liked Pattinson and Jeffrey Wright is almost never bad. And I ended up really digging the fact that Something in the Way formed the backbone of the score.

I also had a good time with the second Avatar. If you saw the first in the theater (and a lot of people did) I’d definitely recommend this one. Same strengths and deficiencies, but looks even better. And the hero of one of the big action set pieces is a god damn
[+] spoiler
whale!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
How they kept the Brendan Fraser reveal secret was a true cinematic masterpiece.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched nope. The first 80-90 minutes were pretty compelling but the finish was a bit of a letdown. Overall solid but not high on rewatch ability or anything.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:04 pm Watched nope. The first 80-90 minutes were pretty compelling but the finish was a bit of a letdown. Overall solid but not high on rewatch ability or anything.
100% agree.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm with AB and Giff on Nope, I think. He does make nice looking, and sounding, flicks.

Watched The Menu last night. It was more than I thought it was going to be from the trailers, and very restaurant-y. Maybe over the top enough that it works better as a message or allegory than a narrative. There was one character whose actions made no sense and it started to really bug me and then they perfectly resolved it such that I felt dumb for doubting them and they had me for the rest of the story.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:08 am Watched The Menu last night. It was more than I thought it was going to be from the trailers, and very restaurant-y. Maybe over the top enough that it works better as a message or allegory than a narrative. There was one character whose actions made no sense and it started to really bug me and then they perfectly resolved it such that I felt dumb for doubting them and they had me for the rest of the story.
[+] spoiler
just a well-made cheeseburger
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We're watching it tonight...can wait to click that spoiler button after!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just floated this movie with The Wife and she's down.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Question for those who've seen Avatar the Second...
[+] spoiler
Isn't the human Jake Sully supposed to be in a pod the whole time somewhere controlling his avatar? Did they just gloss over that or did I miss something where he 'merged' with the avatar or some bullshit?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:50 am Question for those who've seen Avatar the Second...
[+] spoiler
Isn't the human Jake Sully supposed to be in a pod the whole time somewhere controlling his avatar? Did they just gloss over that or did I miss something where he 'merged' with the avatar or some bullshit?
[+] spoiler
I think at the end A1 they used the magic tree to permanently move his consciousness to his avatar, like they tried and failed(?) to do with Weaver's character when she was dying. Prob fed a tree with his human husk after that?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:08 am I'm with AB and Giff on Nope, I think. He does make nice looking, and sounding, flicks.

Watched The Menu last night. It was more than I thought it was going to be from the trailers, and very restaurant-y. Maybe over the top enough that it works better as a message or allegory than a narrative. There was one character whose actions made no sense and it started to really bug me and then they perfectly resolved it such that I felt dumb for doubting them and they had me for the rest of the story.
Just watched The Menu, really fantastic.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

[+] spoiler
Finally, something supplants the Diablo burger as the fictional meal I most want to eat.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched Glass Onion last night, and enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first Knives Out, but it was still fun. The ending was great.

And Janelle Monae was fantastic.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:40 am
[+] spoiler
Finally, something supplants the Diablo burger as the fictional meal I most want to eat.
I was dubious the movie was going to end in a satisfying way but they pulled it off.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

For anyone that's watched The Menu, if you recall that funky beach they show when the first arrive on the island?

I was on that very beach with my wife this summer. The movie was filmed on Jekyll Island in Georgia, which is across a little bay from larger and more populated St. Simons Island. We got up at dawn to visit that park/beach which is called Driftwood Beach. The place is surreal and really stuck with us. We have some amazing pics from that place.

We kind of flipped out the first time we saw it last night, and they kept using it as the backdrop of the cut scenes when they moved between "courses."
[+] spoiler
I enjoyed the movie more than my wife. I think she got hung up on shittiness of the characters, which she knows was the point but sometimes you just can't get past it. I found it pretty fucking hilarious, because you just knew they were taking notes on these asshole customers and it was going to come home at some point.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watched The Pale Blue Eye tonight on Netflix, starring Christian Bale. I thought it was very good and would recommend. One of the characters is a young Edgar Allan Poe, as a West Point cadet. Although it is a fictional movie, I read that Poe actually did attend (but not graduate from) West Point. It's a mystery thriller, and as you might guess in a movie featuring Edgar Allan Poe, it gets a little bit macabre.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The newest Jurassic Park (just popped up on Amazon) is weak.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Slumberland on Netflix is pretty bad.

An example of what happens when fantastic source material (Winsor McCay's absolutely incredible comics from the early 20th Century) is processed through years of development, many teams of writers and producers, and when a star seemingly gets to do whatever he wants.

Jason Momoa's character is irritating as all hell.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:42 am Slumberland on Netflix is pretty bad.

An example of what happens when fantastic source material (Winsor McCay's absolutely incredible comics from the early 20th Century) is processed through years of development, many teams of writers and producers, and when a star seemingly gets to do whatever he wants.

It's pretty OK if you're high as balls.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:24 am The newest Jurassic Park (just popped up on Amazon) is weak.
Yeah, watched it when it was on the ‘cock a month or two ago. Definitely not so good.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:14 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:42 am Slumberland on Netflix is pretty bad.

It's pretty OK if you're high as balls.
I was buzzed, but definitely not buzzed enough!
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:49 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:24 am The newest Jurassic Park (just popped up on Amazon) is weak.
Yeah, watched it when it was on the ‘cock a month or two ago. Definitely not so good.
Really bad.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Do we have a movie award show thread?

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.