FC Swamp - The FM Experience

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: FC Swamp - The FM Experience

Post by A_B »

Rush and Johnnie gets some call ups!

And some more as we approach the international break.
Last edited by A_B on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I played one more to get to the international break. 2-1 win over West Brom where Citgo saves us in the 89th minute after being put in as part of a two forward attack to try for the late winner. Tactical mastermind over here. Syb got the scoring started with a nice goal in the first half.

Bad news is Rass picked up an ankle injury and is out 3-4 week, spoiling his hopes for the Costa Rica squad. This will test our depth across that vaunted attacking midfield.
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.27.09 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.27.09 PM.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 356 times
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush and Johnnie both get their first caps, with Johnnie impressing.

Back at The Front Page, Carwash is injured in training and could be out close to 2 months.
Last edited by A_B on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Who is managing my pain with injections if not the club physio?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Get the groundskeeper out of here. WTF!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:34 pm Who is managing my pain with injections if not the club physio?
Ha. One of the things about injuries is I could give you injections to get you through one game but then you would be out for longer, or stick with the physio therapy to reduce time out overall. I almost always pick physio. In my far too many hours playing this game I think I've only ever used injections for a last match of the season type thing.

(Sorry if I over explain things. Don't know who has played before.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:08 pm Rush and Johnnie gets some call ups!

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.07.22 PM.jpg
Sweet! Pruitt, I'll see what sweet AfroBeat 45s I can pick up in Kinshasa.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:48 pm
rass wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:34 pm Who is managing my pain with injections if not the club physio?
Ha. One of the things about injuries is I could give you injections to get you through one game but then you would be out for longer, or stick with the physio therapy to reduce time out overall. I almost always pick physio. In my far too many hours playing this game I think I've only ever used injections for a last match of the season type thing.

(Sorry if I over explain things. Don't know who has played before.)
I appreciate all of it. And thanks for doing/posting this. Pretty neat.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'll record the entire next match so you can get a sense of the whole thing. That will show me making changes as well as extended highlights. It takes about 10 minutes or so for a whole match to play out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:48 pmIn my far too many hours playing this game I think I've only ever used injections for a last match of the season type thing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:34 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:08 pm Rush and Johnnie gets some call ups!

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.07.22 PM.jpg
Sweet! Pruitt, I'll see what sweet AfroBeat 45s I can pick up in Kinshasa.
Nice!

I'll trade you for some early Anne Murray singles.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Decided to film the full game for our next one. We've got some congestion, but since this one is away at Bloomfield Road against the Tangerines I thought it would be a good one to show the whole in game mechanics. If you have any specific questions about how I did things or what things mean, let me know and I will try to answer as well as possible. If you don't want to take time to watch, spoilers below. Video is about 10 minutes long.

[+] spoiler
Pretty uninspired performance by the lads and we drop our first game of the season. Turd scores a penalty, but we don't create many real chances. I switched to mid block and while it may not be the issue we definitely didn't get forward the way I like. I think that it stunted our fullbacks and put them in positions where they couldn't maraud down the flanks as easily due to proximity to the Pool midfield. This made it harder to get to our attacking midfielders to create chances. NonLinear was down after the game, and may need a break, so BFJ may get a spot league start, but no danger of losing his #1 status for NonLinear.

We're still in good shape in the table and a close loss on the road isn't the worst thing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I'm thinking about starting up with FM having never used it before, any advice to not fuck things up where two weeks from now I'll have to reset? Would either do City or USMNT or both, assuming I get to pick who I control.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:52 am If I'm thinking about starting up with FM having never used it before, any advice to not fuck things up where two weeks from now I'll have to reset? Would either do City or USMNT or both, assuming I get to pick who I control.
It can be daunting at first. Personally, I would start with an actual club because that will give the full experience of managing transfers and whatnot. If you just do a national team to start you can get better quicker at tactics because you will be mostly playing games and not dealing with the other stuff so you can focus on what works and what doesn't. There are a lot more club games of course but the other stuff can definitely be overwhelming for a first timer. But once you get the hang of it, it's addicting as hell. No shame in restarting after a few weeks the first few times. There's really a lot of depth and it's easy to miss sometimes. But it's worth it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

PLayed a bore draw with reading. BFJ saves a penalty and a late winner for reading is called offsides. We did create more after I slid the back line a bit, but it was a heavily rotated squad with 3 games in 8 days. Next match at home before a week off, when we have another 3 games in 8 days before a slower november that ends with the world cup break.

INjury news: Giff has a bad ankle and will miss a month. We don't have great depth at the fullback spots so it might be interesting. May go with a 3-2-1-3-1 (three CBS, two DMs, central mid, 3 AMs and a striker.)
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Oh hey it's almost like running a game like this will drain your creative energies after a while and cause you to suddenly stop for an indefinite period.

(Glad you brought it back, AB.)
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lost 2-1 to Preston North End. Not a good run for FC Swamp. Rass looks to return soon, but the tactics are going to have to change. We got bossed around the pitch. May have another update a la the previous updates before today later.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's a joke in this but I'm not at a point where I can find it ...
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:01 pmGiff ... May go with a 3-2-1-3-1 ...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Probably need more 1s than 3s.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:37 am
[+] spoiler
Pretty uninspired performance by the lads and we drop our first game of the season. Turd scores a penalty, but we don't create many real chances. I switched to mid block and while it may not be the issue we definitely didn't get forward the way I like. I think that it stunted our fullbacks and put them in positions where they couldn't maraud down the flanks as easily due to proximity to the Pool midfield. This made it harder to get to our attacking midfielders to create chances. NonLinear was down after the game, and may need a break, so BFJ may get a spot league start, but no danger of losing his #1 status for NonLinear.

We're still in good shape in the table and a close loss on the road isn't the worst thing.
[+] spoiler
To be fair, the Seasiders' second goal was an absolute belter.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:59 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:52 am If I'm thinking about starting up with FM having never used it before, any advice to not fuck things up where two weeks from now I'll have to reset? Would either do City or USMNT or both, assuming I get to pick who I control.
It can be daunting at first. Personally, I would start with an actual club because that will give the full experience of managing transfers and whatnot. If you just do a national team to start you can get better quicker at tactics because you will be mostly playing games and not dealing with the other stuff so you can focus on what works and what doesn't. There are a lot more club games of course but the other stuff can definitely be overwhelming for a first timer. But once you get the hang of it, it's addicting as hell. No shame in restarting after a few weeks the first few times. There's really a lot of depth and it's easy to miss sometimes. But it's worth it.
Don't start in the MLS or similar league with complex roster rules. When I played I managed to somehow not be able to roster Wayne Rooney during his final year in DC for league games.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:59 am
Also as I said in the video games thread. I am really enjoying Top Eleven on my phone. Perfect amount of FM without being overwhelmed by FM (and I am cheap and won't pay to win). Really want to drag a few other folks into it for some competition.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Match Against Watford. I've switched to a 5-1-1-3. We got our heads handed to us. Injuries are hurting our main tactics and I made a tactical error with the line pushing forward and we got burned. No Swamp FC highlights to speak of in a 2-0 loss. Back to the drawing board. Probably main tactics and strongest team I can manage. I may have gotten too cute with squad rotation.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 1.29.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 1.29.26 PM.jpg (165.18 KiB) Viewed 217 times
This is new. Was told I should organise a team meeting.

Well shit. Board saying the attachment quota has been reached so I can't post a screenshot. I may go delete a few from my earlier posts since I've been hogging it all with these updates. Anyone else seen that with a screenshot? Are there any free image sharing places I could like to?

Meeting went well and all of the team responded to my "Keep your heads up" talk.
Last edited by A_B on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:32 pm Well shit. Board saying the attachment quota has been reached so I can't post a screenshot. I may go delete a few from my earlier posts since I've been hogging it all with these updates. Anyone else seen that with a screenshot? Are there any free image sharing places I could like to?
I don't see the screenshot.

I've always used imgur.com for the stuff I've done here and had no problems (apart from the sometimes counter-intuitive interface).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:33 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:32 pm Well shit. Board saying the attachment quota has been reached so I can't post a screenshot. I may go delete a few from my earlier posts since I've been hogging it all with these updates. Anyone else seen that with a screenshot? Are there any free image sharing places I could like to?
I don't see the screenshot.

I've always used imgur.com for the stuff I've done here and had no problems (apart from the sometimes counter-intuitive interface).
Yeah it won't let me add it. I can't get to Imgur from here. Dang. May have to press pause, but will delete a few from earlier in this thread to free up space, maybe.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or start a second account to post attachments? A___B.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 pm Or start a second account to post attachments? A___B.
Maybe whoever runs Trent Crimm can get him to do match reports.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:09 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:37 am
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
To be fair, the Seasiders' second goal was an absolute belter.
[+] spoiler
And the first one was a bullshit penalty call. I clearly got all ball!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Luton Town at The Front Page. Rass back into the lineup after his injury. pretty uneventful first half until late. Pentagonz starts this move and gets deep, then the team takes over from there.

1-0 Swamp as Rass immediately makes a difference upon his return with a sweet through ball to TheSybian, who finishes low.

The rest of the match is pretty uneventful as well. Bengal shone in the air, so Luton corners were nothing special. HaulCitgo was active when he came on and got a few hsots off but didn't put the bones in the old onion bag or whatever. Anyway, big win to get back on track. Main tactics worked, but still not getting the creativity required. I swear this game knew I took a break and punished me for it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gee, I wonder what could be happening?!?!? Three swampers called up for World Cup duty!
Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 1.55.37 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 1.55.37 PM.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Also, Johnnie is now comfortable playing at LB as well as a LWB (you can assign people to learn new positions, and depending on their adaptability and skill it may take a long time or not that long. Johnnie got comfortable in just a few months, which is good, but he will need playing time there to remain capable). This helps with overall defensive cover and lets me be flexible with more options at that position.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

2-0 loss to shefflied united. I seem to remember that the computer definitely picks up on tactics. So now the onus is on me to figure it out. Really uninspired play and we are still horrific in possession. Getting bossed all over the pitch. Need to shore that up and hopefully it will lead to chances. Sorry for no video, just no highlights to show of note.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Either play me or play me more or run more through me. It'll work.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:17 pm Either play me or play me more or run more through me. It'll work.
Funnily enough I just started you training as an AMC to add cover. Chedda can fill in, but he's better as a striker. It's just that Turd and Citgo are holding that down pretty well. Game against Stoke just finished. Updates to come soon!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Switched to a 4-2-3-1. Basically vacating the center of the pitch to let Sabo and PDX destroy and start counters, while also providing more defensive cover. Hoping it will lead to better possession. Giff and Carwash still not up to match fitness, but we are getting close to full strength. Did schedule a couple of friendlies against minnows during the world cup to stay sharp since most of our team will not be playing in the 2022 version.

First 25 minutes are uneventful. Turd scores on a great ball from Sabo, but is barely offsides. IN the 32nd, he claims revenge. Johnnie triggers the attack to Rass up the left wing. Rass finds chedda who plays a nice 1-2 and rass crosses it to turd who thunders it home.

Not three minutes later, Sancarlos controls the ball at the back and triggers an attack to Sabo. Sabo finds rass who either crosses it or the defender fails to clear well and Turd rifles home on the half volley. 2-0 swamp.

In the 77th, after clearing 3 straight corners, the ball is nodded down the field to Sybian who lays it off to Pentagonz. Bobby P takes it 1/3 of the field to the end line and somehow fits it in a narrow angle.

And now, the award for the dumbest goal of the season so far. Take a look at this shit Sabo pulls. He gathers a deep free kick, dribbles slowly into the middle and is either a lucky sumbuck or has Messi's vision as the ball gets by about 14 of the players on the pitch. Off the post where it trickles in. Again, a truly stupid goal. We go up 4-0, concede late but pick up the three points.

We did in fact dominate possession, but we were heavy favorites. Two more league game, then Carabao cup 3rd round, then one more league game before the break.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Big match against QPR, ho sit third in the table. A loss would put us just 4 points clear. Changes made mostly to the bench after the impressive 4-1 win. Unfortuntaely QPR strikes first to go up 1-0, which is where it ends at the half. In the 60th, fresh subsitute MisterD wins a penalty, but since I'm a dick, we let turd take it. Run of play penalties are boring, but turd bounces it off the keeper and in for his 16th goal of the season. (Full stats will be provided at the WC break.

Carwash misplays a ball (may not be up to fitness), and QPR hits us on the break. 1-2 bad guys. Then giff starts with a free kick in the opponent half, sabo finds pentagonz with a nice ball and Turd is unmarked. Easy picking to put us back on level terms. unfortunately that's where it ends and we drop a couple of points, but since QPR would have moved into second with a win we remain 6 points clear. Bottom dwellers Rotherham up next.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yuck. 1-1 draw. But MisterD's "advice" proves true as he levels late to snare a road point. Team is a mess right now. Dominated possession but created no chances with a heavily rotated squad. Probably my fault trying to get Pruitt some PT before his world cup debut (hopefully). DaveinSeattle has a knock and may get dropped from the Australia squad. Carabao cup against West Ham, who are somehow in 4th in the EPL right now, so it's a tall order.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Odds are stacked against us against West Ham in the 3rd round. I go with a possession mindset, hoping to keep the ball away from their playmakers. WE control possession for the first part, culminating with this:

Pentagonz and Giff with a little interplay before Bob cuts inside and locates a streaking sybian. 1-0 good guys in the 7th!

Alas, West Ham gets two back before half time to take a lead. An uneventful second half until loudmouth Misterd stakes more of a claim and threads it to Turd, who does what turd does. Flushes it. All square with 20 to play.

Unfortunately, we have our first major gaffe of the season. nonlinear seems to control the ball, but it somehow comes off his hands and ends up in the net.

An own goal that we can't recover from. However, the Board is "Pleased" with our result, having made it to the 3rd round. Nonlinear's head doesn't seem to be right so I need to figure out how to get him motivated. Rumors are he is upset by the rest of the team being called "field players."
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is just great.

Wow!
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The hockey assist! I'll take it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.