Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt IV »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:03 am How the fuck did I miss Mr. Mom disparagement? That is unacceptable.
It's all in the past.

I was pilloried - praising Osama Bin Laden wouldn't have opened up a bigger can of worms.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There are certain topics where a fictionalized version of what I've already consumed via documentaries and podcasts makes it a no-go for me.

It'd be like putting together a fictionalized movie or series on J6. Nope, no thanks.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:48 am I've almost never been this guy before, but...

SNL stinks right now. They can't even write a good game show sketch and there's one every show.
Past couple of years I'd watch a few skits on Youtube, but it started to get horrible. I hadn't watched many skits this year, but decided to watch some of Aubrey Plaza, and that episode was watchable, which is a huge step up. I think the cast is way too big and half the skits seem like the goal is virtue signaling without even attempting to be funny. I do think SNL always suffered from being compared to people's memories of how good past casts were, when in reality, we remember the best skits and forgot about the bad ones, and when you are in peak SNL watching age, culture was defined by the skits at the time, everyone talked about it in school on Monday type thing. And it always went through cycles of growing pains with a new cast and writers trying to figure out how to write for them and the performers getting comfortable in an incredibly difficult environment.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I don't feel like typing up a lengthy defense (again.)

It goes in cycles. It's often aimed at a younger audience. Large chunks of what are considered golden era had many shows that shit the bed, we just don't care to remember.

Wash-rinse-repeat.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I watched the newest episode of Night Court, the first two episodes of That '90s Show and then the new Beavis & Butthead tonight and loved every minute of it. Maybe this should be in the Nostalgia thread.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure if I read it here or elsewhere, but episode 5 of The Last of Us will be available Friday because of the Super Bowl.
Reaper wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:25 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:42 pm Poker Face on Peacock (Natasha Lyonne in a Rian Johnson developed murder serial) is absolutely excellent.
Yep. Watched the first episode last night, before realizing I needed to upgrade to some premium 'cock to watch the rest of them.
I'll always remind the board every so often of this:
[+] spoiler
Unlock developer rights on a Fire Stick, install Downloader, install Kodi, install The Crew add on, and the entire world is at your fingertips. Movies, TV, live sports...etc. Just use a VPN and you should be good.

CinemaHD is also an option too. That's simply an app through the Fire Stick without much hassle.

Are you technically stealing? Sure. But you aren't downloading and distributing. You're just streaming from somewhere else in the world. Moral and legal gray area.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:02 pm I watched the newest episode of Night Court, the first two episodes of That '90s Show and then the new Beavis & Butthead tonight and loved every minute of it. Maybe this should be in the Nostalgia thread.
I watched the first episode of 90's Show, not expecting much because it looks cheesy AF. It was certainly cheesy, beyond predictable and looks like it was shot on a student's budget, but I bought into the nostalgia and believed I was revisiting old characters. I wasn't going to watch it again, but a few nights ago I was too baked to pay attention to anything more intelligent, so I watched episode 2 and I loved watching it high. It's a terrible show, but I enjoyed it. I don't think I'd watch it sober, but next time I'm too high, I will give it another go.

Coincidentally, before I was too high I was watching Reboot on Hulu, a show about making a reboot of a 90's sitcom. Created by Steven Levitan. I think I wrote about the show before, but it has some of the best jokes since Arrested Development. One in particular keeps cracking me up.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And unfortunately, not re-upped. So... not booted.

And I'm really surprised. It was REALLY good.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Craig Mazin was on Larry Wilmore's podcast. It was a great discussion about writing and adapting The Last of Us from video game to a TV show amongst other things.

One of the other things...the fact that Ted Cruz was his roommate at Princeton.

And that's when it clicked that the name was slightly familiar with me because I remember his tweets went viral in 2016. That was a fun memory to unlock.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Last of Us gives me hope that the Red Dead series could get written/picked up/streamed.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anyone watching Shrinking on Apple+?

Harrison Ford and Jason Segal and it's VERY entertaining. Laugh out loud moments mixed in with some fairly heavy content. But not heavy in a dense, bring you way down way. 2 eps in and we are struggling not to just binge it (30 minute episodes and they go by very fast.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:03 am Anyone watching Shrinking on Apple+?

Harrison Ford and Jason Segal and it's VERY entertaining. Laugh out loud moments mixed in with some fairly heavy content. But not heavy in a dense, bring you way down way. 2 eps in and we are struggling not to just binge it (30 minute episodes and they go by very fast.)
"Eat a dick, Pam!"

Only saw this clip, but it has me ready to dive in.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:26 pm Last of Us gives me hope that the Red Dead series could get written/picked up/streamed.
I don't think the main story writing was nearly as good in that series as TLOU. But cast Ian McShane as Dutch and I'm in.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:15 am
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:26 pm Last of Us gives me hope that the Red Dead series could get written/picked up/streamed.
I don't think the main story writing was nearly as good in that series as TLOU. But cast Ian McShane as Dutch and I'm in.
Hell, I'd watch Ian McShane read Yelp reviews for septic tank techs.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:09 pm And unfortunately, not re-upped. So... not booted.

That's a bummer. I really enjoyed that show.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:26 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:09 pm And unfortunately, not re-upped. So... not booted.

I thought someone else might pick it up. But, apparently it's dead-dead.

https://www.avclub.com/steven-levitan-d ... 1850096840
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:42 pm
brian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:26 pm

I thought someone else might pick it up. But, apparently it's dead-dead.

https://www.avclub.com/steven-levitan-d ... 1850096840
That’s a shame, I was hoping another platform would pick it up.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I was never a Top Gear person but got hooked on The Grand Tour. So this weekend Clarkson's Farm Season 2 came out. Binged it while doing work and exercising. Decent TV. They do the cinematography very well. It has enough plot to keep the story going and the characters shine. It also is fun to see how Clarkson has used this to make himself the "good guy", when he clearly is an antagonist in this small quaint town (person with the camera gets to tell the story). That being said it really does point at the challenges of British farming.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Isn't Clarkson pretty repulsive? Or am I thinking of one of the other Top Gear guys?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:54 pm Isn't Clarkson pretty repulsive? Or am I thinking of one of the other Top Gear guys?
Pretty sure it's Jeremy.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The wife says Shrinking is her new Ted Lasso. Absolutely loves the few episodes she's watched.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I can't really push Shrinking too much more than I already have. I think I mentioned this, but...

The mark of a show I absolutely love is when we have to physically restrain each other NOT to watch more than one episode in a night. And/or, if it's an HBO or Apple+ show that only churns out one episode a week and it bugs the shit out of us. But in a good way.

And I think it was chedda who kind of mentioned this in the Last of Us thread... I don't know if HBO gets enough credit for consistently pushing out shows that become appointment TV. How many other shows harken back to the TV era of "Oh, it's Sunday night, that means a new episode of XX is coming around."

It's pretty remarkable when you step back and look at the current landscape. Netflix had that with House of Cards and Stranger Things. But HBO, going back to The Sopranos... I'm not going to list them all, you guys know... It's incredible.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shrinking is from the same team as Ted Lasso. At least at the top.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Holy shit

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Is that live watching? Day +3? It really makes sense. Anything else that a person might watch they likely watch it either DVR'ed or on demand. Sports is the only thing that people feel the need to watch live. I think the last non-sporting event I watched as it happened was probably New Year's Eve (which I tapped out around 10:30). Before that? Maybe portions of the January 6th hearing. Or a couple episodes of Jeopardy here and there when I was caught up.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am pretty certain the only over the air TV I watch live is sports. Everything else I timeshift.

If the TV is just "on" in the house while I am doing random shit or on the computer it is usually on something like HGTV or the like.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Add in some movie I've seen 100 times playing on HBO and that's me too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:22 pm Add in some movie I've seen 100 times playing on HBO and that's me too.
The Dark Knight isn't going to watch itself.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:22 pm Add in some movie I've seen 100 times playing on HBO and that's me too.
Oh yeah. TNT or TBS or FXX or the like with a random Mission Impossible or the like too.

And the HBO thing started with me in the 80s - Little Mo and Stoker Ace were also not gonna watch themselves...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:38 pm
Oh yeah. TNT or TBS or FXX or the like with a random Mission Impossible or the like too.

And the HBO thing started with me in the 80s - Little Mo and Stoker Ace were also not gonna watch themselves...
I didn't have HBO with any regularity until my 20s, but when I'd be at a sleepover and they had it...shoot it was on like popcorn.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:24 pmThe Dark Knight isn't going to watch itself.
More like Good Will Hunting. I've never seen a superhero movie.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:50 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:24 pmThe Dark Knight isn't going to watch itself.
More like Good Will Hunting. I've never seen a superhero movie.
Well, that was my version, but I did not make that clear.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, I don’t do super hero movies either. Also don’t do zombies and vampires. I guess werewolves too. Yet I love good science fiction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:49 pm Yeah, I don’t do super hero movies either. Also don’t do zombies and vampires. I guess werewolves too. Yet I love good science fiction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shaun of the Dead?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:33 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:49 pm Yeah, I don’t do super hero movies either. Also don’t do zombies and vampires. I guess werewolves too. Yet I love good science fiction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shaun of the Dead?
Nope. Heard it was supposed to be good though.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:20 pm I am pretty certain the only over the air TV I watch live is sports. Everything else I timeshift.

If the TV is just "on" in the house while I am doing random shit or on the computer it is usually on something like HGTV or the like.
I've seen every Friends episode 9831 (est) times.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:25 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:20 pm I am pretty certain the only over the air TV I watch live is sports. Everything else I timeshift.

So do their voices sound weird on Nick at nite or whatever they call it these days or did they always sound like that? Like sped up or something.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:12 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:25 pm

So do their voices sound weird on Nick at nite or whatever they call it these days or did they always sound like that? Like sped up or something.
You know, now that I think about it, I've always thought there was something different between the ones on Nice at Nite and the ones on TBS that play all day. Maybe that's it. I'll report back on Thursday when I'm working from home.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I seem to remember a channel speeding up syndicated shows just enough to be able to squeeze in another commercial or two.