Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by A_B »

Appreciate all the words, gentlemen. Weekend was fine until Sat night...lots of achiness and just general unease. That lasted through the night and then was good most of day yesterday but the night again snuck up. We've been good on the meds, but this is the first major surgery the kid has had, so knowing what's normal and what isn't is still a learning process. Doesn't make it more comfortable, but makes it easier to understand that it's natural. The bandages are starting to become a problem due to itchiness/tightness. The surgical drains come out tomorrow am with the tight bandages, so fingers crossed that helps lower the overall discomfort.

But I really appreciate all the support.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

My wife has had to have the drains a couple of terms - she felt a lot better once they came out.

Hang in there, spring is coming.
Canadian International
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I missed this thread last week, but very happy for your son that he gets to live his true life and that he has such brave and supportive parents. I have to use two hands to count the number of friends that have had kids come out to their parents as trans and thankful that my friend group are the kind of people that will give them whatever they need to be accepted and loved as who they are.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:03 pm Kid’s 17th birthday and she insisted on doing her driver’s exam today. We felt she was prepared, but she got the cliche mean DMV employee who yelled at her for using her side mirror while parallel parking, made her do it again, and then she bumped a cone coming out of the space. Game over. She’s pretty devastated, but I think it’s mostly pride fucking with her.

She gets another chance in 2 weeks or so.
What a CF.

The only appointment we could get in what the kid considered a reasonable window is at a facility over an hour away. The car we plan on having her drive going once she is actually licensed has a mechanical parking brake, but it's a foot brake and only available from the driver's seat - not allowed for the test.

I bought a used car to be my get-around-town car and it has a centrally placed mechanical handbrake, but when I finally had the bright idea to try it out this AM the car bitches and cries when I drive with the brake on but doesn't fully prevent movement - not allowed for the test (or dicey enough that I don't want to bet a long drive and PTO day on it).

We have a friend who offered multiple times to let us borrow her car for the exam and we called in that favor this morning, but she realized this afternoon that she never received the paperwork to renew her registration and therefore never did it so she's going over and above to scramble to get that taken care of today (something she would have to eventually do anyway, but not ASAP).

So if that all gets taken care of we still need to drive an hour+ tomorrow and hope she passes.

(in the meantime 2 of her track teammates took the test and one of them failed so she's feeling a little better about her first test, not sure how we'll all react if she bombs again tomorrow)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:07 pm
rass wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:03 pm Kid’s 17th birthday and she insisted on doing her driver’s exam today. We felt she was prepared, but she got the cliche mean DMV employee who yelled at her for using her side mirror while parallel parking, made her do it again, and then she bumped a cone coming out of the space. Game over. She’s pretty devastated, but I think it’s mostly pride fucking with her.

She gets another chance in 2 weeks or so.
What a CF.

The only appointment we could get in what the kid considered a reasonable window is at a facility over an hour away. The car we plan on having her drive going once she is actually licensed has a mechanical parking brake, but it's a foot brake and only available from the driver's seat - not allowed for the test.

I bought a used car to be my get-around-town car and it has a centrally placed mechanical handbrake, but when I finally had the bright idea to try it out this AM the car bitches and cries when I drive with the brake on but doesn't fully prevent movement - not allowed for the test (or dicey enough that I don't want to bet a long drive and PTO day on it).

We have a friend who offered multiple times to let us borrow her car for the exam and we called in that favor this morning, but she realized this afternoon that she never received the paperwork to renew her registration and therefore never did it so she's going over and above to scramble to get that taken care of today (something she would have to eventually do anyway, but not ASAP).

So if that all gets taken care of we still need to drive an hour+ tomorrow and hope she passes.

(in the meantime 2 of her track teammates took the test and one of them failed so she's feeling a little better about her first test, not sure how we'll all react if she bombs again tomorrow)
This all sounds way bizarre to me.

Does she have a learner's permit that allows her to drive with you or another adult in the front seat? Is that limited to cars with a centrally placed mechanical handbrake?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yes, and of course not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Passed!

But no license because we had a 10:40am appt and by the time we made it to a licensing center they weren’t taking walk ins.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:27 pm Passed!

But no license because we had a 10:40am appt and by the time we made it to a licensing center they weren’t taking walk ins.
She should get a job delivering uber eats.

(This is a huge step in a young person's life. Good for her. Now, I'm sure you and momma will be a mess for a bit.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work! But WTF NJ, how effing hard does this need to be?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

All done. She was first in line this morning. My wife said she was treated like a princess by the security guard who otherwise spent the pre-8AM timeframe yelling at the non-English speakers in the line.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:38 am All done. She was first in line this morning. My wife said she was treated like a princess by the security guard who otherwise spent the pre-8AM timeframe yelling at the non-English speakers in the line.
So mom took to this appointment. I think I'm beginning to see the problem to begin with.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:41 am
rass wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:38 am All done. She was first in line this morning. My wife said she was treated like a princess by the security guard who otherwise spent the pre-8AM timeframe yelling at the non-English speakers in the line.
So mom took to this appointment. I think I'm beginning to see the problem to begin with.
I was willing to go tomorrow AM but I already blew two PTO days on the driver's test part of the process.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A ginger win!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And now she wants to drive somewhere by herself. This is fucking bullshit I can’t take it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Happy for you, Rass!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:31 am And now she wants to drive somewhere by herself. This is fucking bullshit I can’t take it.
Drugs. She's going to buy drugs. Probably get drunk on the way there, too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:35 am
rass wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:31 am And now she wants to drive somewhere by herself. This is fucking bullshit I can’t take it.
Drugs. She's going to buy drugs. Probably get drunk on the way there, too.
At least have her pickup some edibles for you.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet she's going to the big new food hall in BH.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's awesome, rass! I don't envy the worry, but dread it.

My 7-year-old sang Flowers at karaoke they had up at a restaurant/bar by our house. She killed it!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Lol
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"Yeah so the DMV just called and they screwed up you totally failed. Yeah, you can talk to the woman right n...oh no she hung up"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

we held him off for three days .. because of insurance... since then, he has driven himself to school each day. and into town on a friday night, and out to celebrate with the track team their big win last weekend... horse has left the barn.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Son has had his full license now for 3 weeks. No big deal him driving to practice or what not...but wife is not psyc'd about him driving others yet. Son has gotten a bit snippy to her about "I drive past his house on the way home". But the Mrs. is a firm no until he gets more solo time behind the wheel.

....but the real reason he is snippy......first girlfriend coincided with license...the boy has no interest in mom or dad driving for a date.

.....Have I mentioned that may religiously agnostic (and maybe antagonistic) 1/2 conservative jew, 1/2 catholic son's girlfriend is mormon.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:20 pm ....but the real reason he is snippy......first girlfriend coincided with license...the boy has no interest in mom or dad driving for a date.

.....Have I mentioned that may religiously agnostic (and maybe antagonistic) 1/2 conservative jew, 1/2 catholic son's girlfriend is mormon.
Mormon? is he open to converting? Has he listed his favorite potential missionary destinations, yet? He can get engaged before he goes. BYU will give him a discount on married-student housing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:39 pmHas he listed his favorite potential missionary destinations, yet?
; P
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:39 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:20 pm ....but the real reason he is snippy......first girlfriend coincided with license...the boy has no interest in mom or dad driving for a date.

Mormon? is he open to converting?
That's the beauty of Mormons, they don't ask for consent to convert people. Hell, they don't even require that converts are still alive! (scandal a few years back when Mormons were boasting about their growth and someone discovered they were enrolling Holocaust victims as converted to Mormonism). That doesn't sound cultish at all...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 pm
Lol
And today my oldest showed up in Boston without ever telling us they were heading to the airport. We knew they were traveling, but it's weird to just be out of the loop. They are 22, for those so inclined to wonder.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:01 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:39 pm

Mormon? is he open to converting?
That's the beauty of Mormons, they don't ask for consent to convert people. Hell, they don't even require that converts are still alive! (scandal a few years back when Mormons were boasting about their growth and someone discovered they were enrolling Holocaust victims as converted to Mormonism). That doesn't sound cultish at all...
Including Anne Frank
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:05 pm
Lol
And today my oldest showed up in Boston without ever telling us they were heading to the airport. We knew they were traveling, but it's weird to just be out of the loop. They are 22, for those so inclined to wonder.
I'm pretty sure some people buy drugs in Boston...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:16 pm
Lol
I'd be mad if they didn't! I gave them money for two vape carts once. I have yet to see the carts nor have I been refunded.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This is the first Friday since she started working regularly where I'll be home and I don't have to go pick her up (or procure an Uber ride there and back if I end up not sober). Does anyone want to rage?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

IS YOUR TEAMMATE AROUND?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:55 pm IS YOUR TEAMMATE AROUND?
SHIT

But seriously Fridays would be more open for me now. And I guess Saturdays. Yuck.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:24 pm
rass wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:16 pm
Lol
I'd be mad if they didn't! I gave them money for two vape carts once. I have yet to see the carts nor have I been refunded.
Probably should have stressed that the carts were for you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Walked up the street and paid for food and liquor to get drunk so technically off to a better start than last night but still probably gonna watch something dumb and fall asleep on the couch.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Son of wlu got into.the Harvard Pre-college program. It is really prestigious and competitive or just a money maker for the Crimson based on my research.

Kid.is very excited for international politics and the courses are taught by Kennedy School profs so should be a good experience.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:46 pm Son of wlu got into.the Harvard Pre-college program. It is really prestigious and competitive or just a money maker for the Crimson based on my research.

Kid.is very excited for international politics and the courses are taught by Kennedy School profs so should be a good experience.
Cognrats!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That sounds pretty cool, wlu!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:46 pm Son of wlu got into.the Harvard Pre-college program. It is really prestigious and competitive or just a money maker for the Crimson based on my research.

Sounds super cool. Does it have college credit associated?