Re: Movies

Post by rass »

Nice!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Giff wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:33 pm Cocaine Bear tonight fuck yeah!
My expectation is for stupid fun…please update us with your impression. I plan on going at some point this weekend.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Will do. Thought about doing a stupid fun double feature with Megan now on streaming.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, just saw that M3gan is on that service that ends with that word. Need to watch it at some point.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:33 pm Cocaine Bear tonight fuck yeah!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

All of my friends and relatives are like, "Cocaine Bear? Fuck. Yes!!"

This is multigenerational. There's something about this movie that hits a weird sweet spot.

Also.. Elizabeth Banks is the EP. I'm watching her shit, 100 percent.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

In a completely different vein, "Marcel The Shell" which has been nominated for best animated film at the Academy Awards is just wonderful.

Quiet, sweet but not cloying. And strangely for a movie about an inch-high talking seashell, it's really touching.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:48 pm Also.. Elizabeth Banks is the EP. I'm watching her shit, 100 percent.
And director!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It was fantastic fun. Nothing like crying from laughing so hard at a bear ripping people apart.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Co-sign. Laughed so hard at one point I literally couldn’t breathe and got concerned I was checking out.

Easy recommend.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Exactly what I wanted from a movie named Cocaine Bear
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:05 pm Also, anyone seen M3GAN? We waited out dry January to see it because it seems like that type of movie.
I just watched and enjoyed it. Kinda like a Black Mirror epsiode. I would suggest drinking while watching.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 pm Watched Dick Tracy and Citizen Kane over the last week or so.

The nostalgia I had for Dick Tracy made me want to watch it again. And holy shit does it suck. How can a cast like that just fail miserably in a movie?
Warren Beatty keeps holding on to those rights though, so that no one else can improve upon the 1990 version. It seems he does something like this every so often just to keep the character with him, though something else I read says in 2027 it'll enter public domain. Here's the latest "sequel":

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

any recommendations for something to watch on the plane today and Saturday? I've looked through what's available on Apple and nothing looks at all interesting (already seen "Emily the Criminal" and "Everything, everywhere...")
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:51 am any recommendations for something to watch on the plane today and Saturday? I've looked through what's available on Apple and nothing looks at all interesting (already seen "Emily the Criminal" and "Everything, everywhere...")
Did you see Banshees of Inisherin? I'd vote for that.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Fablemans was much better than I expected it to be, for whatever reason. Michelle Williams was fantastic.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:41 pm If something happens to that fucking donkey I’m gonna riot
My girl!

I know he’s an actor but Farrell seemed genuinely excited.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And now my avatar still looking great.

And the woman who introduced the song from RRR (which had better win best song, even the in show performance was awesome) was gorgeous and adorable.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:44 pm ...the song from RRR (which had better win best song, even the in show performance was awesome)...
Eat it Diane Warren!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ok maybe confessions time...

I see/watch very few movies but this winter my wife and i had some free nights - i didn't want to commit to some multi-season show so "hey, movies exist!" and maybe try to get current for the first time in 20 years or whatever. So in a row my wife suggested White Noise, Everything Everywhere...etc etc and Banshees.

...and for different reasons i legitimately hated every one of them - just brutal. White Noise: didn't finish - was literally angering me how over the top the acting was (although oddly I bet I would enjoy / have enjoyed the book). Everything...: i enjoy a good sci-fi or alt-reality flick but i should have known this wasn't for me; long action/fight scenes, just too absurd but whatever.

But Banshees... aye this one fking pissed me off more than any of them and I hated it most - I sincerely want to hear counterpoints on why you guys liked this movie. It was kind of hilarious because after the previous 2 I was on my wife "please please pick a good movie" :D and this looked perfect - seemed quiet with awesome scenery (I've visited this part of Ireland) and who doesn't like some Mad Eye Moody.

I thought the story was ridiculous and embarrassingly simplistic? "i don't want to be your friend anymore" how does this carry a movie. like if Mo Willams got fucked UP and wrote "Don't Let The Fucking Pigeon Hang Out With Me" - wtf.

give me a different perspective. I don't like to sling shit with no reason :P and would love to know what others did like about it (or any of the 3). Asking my parents why they liked these was...not fruitful.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

[+] spoiler
It's an allegory for the Irish War.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

for sure...and ok I can definitely buy that. didn't give that enough credence...

(i still think it should be able to stand on its own as a story/movie)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:04 am ok maybe confessions time...

I see/watch very few movies but this winter my wife and i had some free nights - i didn't want to commit to some multi-season show so "hey, movies exist!"
It's funny, I almost never watch movies for the opposite reason. I usually watch TV for an hour or 90 minutes and very few movies are under 2 hours. I don't like pausing a movie and finishing the next night, so I'll watch shows that are essentially a 10 hour movie, but with defined pause breaks. I did see Everything, Everywhere and liked it. I was on a 6 hour flight and looking to kill time, and stuck in my seat with no distractions... If I was at home, not sure I would have stuck it out. My parents hated the movie and I get why. It was fucking bizzarro and made no sense at times, but damn it was fun. The rocks with the googlie eyes was a step too far, but the hot dog fingers struck the right note. [Thought about spoiler tag, but really, this doesn't spoil anything.]

I decided to watch RRR based on recommendations here when I was very high. Fun as hell, I don't know if I would have enjoyed it sober. Took me three nights to get through it (Indica had me nodding out the first night), but basically the next two times I got really high I went back to it. It was wild as fuck and super trippy. I don't know what the fuck was going on and kept getting two of the guys confused. Probably didn't help that I was in and out of consciousness quite a bit, indica makes me feel like a heroin junkie slipping in and out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

lol - i think i can definitely see how watching it high would be fun.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just love the fact that an Oscar-winning movie features a fight scene where people are wearing butt plugs.

We already talked about it, but I didn't care for Top Gun much to the "everyone loved it and it saved movies!" chatter from movie types.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 am

We already talked about it, but I didn't care for Top Gun much to the "everyone loved it and it saved movies!" chatter from movie types.
I was very unimpressed. That deserved no nominations outside of technical categories.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 am

I was very unimpressed. That deserved no nominations outside of technical categories.
I've seen trailers and I have absolutely zero interest in Top Gun.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:00 pm

Just re-watch Star Wars and imagine F-18's instead of X-Wings and "Talk to me, Goose" instead of "Use the Force"...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:11 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:00 pm

Just re-watch Star Wars and imagine F-18's instead of X-Wings and "Talk to me, Goose" instead of "Use the Force"...
Exactly what a friend of mine said to me when I told him it was dumb. "Dude, it's Star Wars with FIFTH GENERATION FIGHTERS."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't get Top Gun being nominated for best picture... at all. It was fun, possibly better than the OG... But the OG was cheesy as fuck. Fun, but stupid and simplistic, even for a war movie.

I enjoyed Banshees, but I also had a vague feeling similar to Max in terms "wtf, stop chopping off your fingers you idjit." Like I was aware of the Irish War stuff, but it still had me feeling awkward.

That said, between the excellent acting and the scenery, it was a net positive. But it's not the type of movie I'd say "I love" and I would suggest it to others with a bunch of hem and hawing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

"Banshees" grew on me after I watched it. I even came on board with the fingers.
[+] spoiler
Film student in me says - "A reflection of the absolute desperate isolation of these people."
I wouldn't watch "Top Gun" if you paid me. I like fast planes and all, but it - along with most military movies - appears to me (admitting that I haven't seen it or the original) as a valuable piece of propaganda.

I loved "Everything, Everywhere..." of the few nominated films in all categories that I saw, it was my favourite.
Canadian International
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 am We already talked about it, but I didn't care for Top Gun much to the "everyone loved it and it saved movies!" chatter from movie types.
My guess for that reasoning is that it drew a large number of non-regular movie goers to the theatre (like my wife) in addition to the regular movie-going crowd.

Johnnie I hope you'll find this amusing - whenever I think of Top Gun I think about when I was 11 or 12 years old when the original Top Gun came out. The following year I went to the Air Force museum at Wright-Patt in Dayton. I walked in and asked the Airman working if they had any F-14 Tomcats. I will never forget the response "son...that's a Navy bird" and smirk on his face. Needless to say I was quite embarrassed because I felt I should have known better.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:32 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 am We already talked about it, but I didn't care for Top Gun much to the "everyone loved it and it saved movies!" chatter from movie types.
My guess for that reasoning is that it drew a large number of non-regular movie goers to the theatre (like my wife) in addition to the regular movie-going crowd.
Top Gun:Maverick is the only movie we've seen in theaters since the pandemic ended.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

After listening to many hours of pods on scientology... I'm going with a briefcase full of $$$.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:40 pm
Top Gun:Maverick is the only movie we've seen in theaters since the pandemic ended.
Admins, can we get a 1 month suspension in this account?
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie I hope you'll find this amusing - whenever I think of Top Gun I think about when I was 11 or 12 years old when the original Top Gun came out. The following year I went to the Air Force museum at Wright-Patt in Dayton. I walked in and asked the Airman working if they had any F-14 Tomcats. I will never forget the response "son...that's a Navy bird" and smirk on his face. Needless to say I was quite embarrassed because I felt I should have known better.
That is kinda funny. But you were young so I totally get it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:03 pm

That is kinda funny. But you were young so I totally get it.
:lol: Youth.

My dad shares patents on the P&W F100 engines that powered the F15 & F16 fighters. I'll call him about it so he can regale me the stories again. Whenever I do that, we tend to drink a few too many and I forget all the specs. But I think that's the gist.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Are you a Mcdonnell or a Douglas?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:20 am Are you a Mcdonnell or a Douglas?
We know you're not a Whitney, AB.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.