Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:40 am
A_B wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:20 am Are you a Mcdonnell or a Douglas?
We know you're not a Whitney, AB.
But he is a total prat!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I am man enough to admit I don't get the joke.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:05 am I am man enough to admit I don't get the joke.
P&W is Pratt and Whitney, an engine manufacture.

Prat: A British insult
Collins online dictionary wrote: If you describe someone as a prat, you are saying in an unkind way that you think that they are very stupid or foolish.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Bird--->Joke

Hudson River
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 am Bird--->Joke

Hudson River
OK, that's good. Presumably. I don't get that one either. I am getting dumber every second.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:50 am
Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 am Bird--->Joke

Hudson River
OK, that's good. Presumably. I don't get that one either. I am getting dumber every second.
I feel like I'm almost there on Ryan's joke, but I'm not sure if it's insulting my post. Presumably a bird took down my joke like Sully Sullenburger's airplane into the Hudson?
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Decided to go movie heavy today. I watched these 4:

Tar - It took far too long to get going. I just wasn't interested for the first hour plus. Then it got pretty good.* Regardless, Cate Blanchett is incredible. I hated the character she played -- but that was the point. Lydia Tar was a loathesome, pompous, uppity full-of-herself asshat. And she nailed it. In any other year she takes the best actress nomination. Unfortunately for her she had to face Michelle Yeoh acting in the best movie of the year.

[+] spoiler
I fucking loved it when she Terry Tated the conductor. That was hilarious. And playing the accordion like a total prick when the family of the crazy neighbor decided to sell it because she had to go into a home made me chuckle. And to say she got attacked when she really just fell on the stairs while running away in the rain in a crappy part of town was definitely a thing a character like that would do. You also later find her actual birth name is Linda and she grew up in Staten Island.
The Fabelmans - Decent flick. It's a pseudo-biographical movie for Spielberg. I really enjoyed the story. Michelle Williams was excellent and definitely deserved the best actress nomination. Judd Hirsh was in the movie for like 6 minutes and got the best supporting actor nomination. I can understand why. His one major scene with Sam (the main character) carried the vibe for him for the rest of the film.
[+] spoiler
I seriously thought that when the girl he starts going out with in California wanted to pray in her bedroom she was going to blow him. The camera stays level and she drops to her knees. Also, I fucking called it immediately that Seth Rogen's character, Uncle Benny, was his actual dad.
Barbarian - I had heard of this one peripherally from a couple podcasts. I had no idea it was a horror/thriller until I read the description. It was interesting, but I have to say I belly laugh at horror flicks. They just aren't believable and I have no imagination when it comes to these things. Apparitions, ghouls, and various other scary things just aren't scary. But put me in a haunted house where it's dark with strobe lights and people jumping out at me and I'm paranoid.
[+] spoiler
I'm not staying at an AirBnB where someone else has already checked in and we were double-booked by accident. I'm also not going further and further into a dank basement that leads into an underground tunnel IN DETROIT. Then the girl stays the night, gets to her job interview the next morning, and...doesn't pack her bags and take them with her so she can fucking leave immediately after the scary night she had? C'mon. Oh and the surviving a fall off a water tower with a bullet wound that she didn't bleed out from was dumb too. And she was still able to walk through the night into the next morning. I could pick this apart further, but I won't.
Marriage Story - You know what does scare the shit outta me though? Divorce. And divorce with a child involved. A good buddy of mine, who's retired AF as well, texted me his "I never have to fucking pay child support again" text when it was all over. He felt like he was released from prison and celebrated that night. His retirement check was basically a fourth of what it should have been because of the arrangement he had with his ex. Anyhoo, ScarJo and Adam Driver were great. But I got such knots in my stomach and anxiety with the lawyer involvement*. The constant back and forth over who has the kid and what the kid wants to do kept twisting the knife. Though you do, as the viewer, feel like they can mend the relationship. I definitely recommend this one.

[+] spoiler
They seemed to want to keep escalating and escalating to the point of breaking them both financially which completely went against the spirit of an amicable divorce in the first place. And all the lawyers seemed to know each other and be chummy with each other too. That was awful. It was subtly hinted at, but man it made you think. Oh and the scene where Adam Driver slices his arm while being interviewed by the observation person made my jaw drop. What a fucking blunder to be like "I have this knife on my keychain and do this trick where I slide it down my arm, but it's retracted" and then passing out from blood loss because it wasn't. Yeesh.
I plan to watch at least a couple movies a day this week. So stay tuned for that!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If you're taking suggestions, give The Florida Project a try if you haven't already seen it. It's on one of the streamers now I believe.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll add that to the queue. Thanks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you haven’t seen Popstar: Never Stop Stopping it’s leaving HBOMax at end of the month. It’s hysterical.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:10 am If you haven’t seen Popstar: Never Stop Stopping it’s leaving HBOMax at end of the month. It’s hysterical.
Seconded - it is just great.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm almost crying reading the lyrics again
Uh, she was a freaky kind of girl
Kept up with current events from all around the world
More specifically, one event
The time Osama Bin Laden got shot in the head
She said, "Do me like that"
But I couldn't track the metaphor
That said, I can see you horny like a Stegosaur
That said, again your request is so irregular
She put on a beard, I started looking at the exit door
Then a turban, then a tunic
She said, "Invade my cave with your special unit"
I said, "He wasn't in a cave", but there was no stopping
She demanded that I fuck her like we

Fucked Bin Laden
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I just loved "Triangle of Sadness"
[+] spoiler
Easy targets, but all of the hits were bullseyes
Canadian International
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Took an edible and some benadryl and started Nope and those were some fun dreams!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Forgot to post that I watched NOPE, Judas and the Black Messiah, The Whale, and Sound of Metal last week.

I'll have to rewatch NOPE. Either I wasn't paying attention close enough or I missed something, but i think I missed a part of the plot. It was still really good though.

The other movies were also pretty good. Brendan Fraser maybe didn't give the best performance overall, but I can see why he won. It was such a good story and you go through some serious feelings throughout. (I haven't seen the other movies with best actor nominees yet.)
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Sound of Metal is such a great movie.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF's daughter was in town with her new guy over the weekend. After dinner he said we should watch a movie, that was one of his favorites and he said that it had really got him into learning about food and how to cook. The movie? "Burnt" with Bradley Cooper playing a hot-shot chef (think Gordan Ramsey, but even a bigger asshole.) who had flamed out in Paris, and was now clean and sober and trying to get his third Michelin star in London. So we watched it.

And....not good. Not actively bad, but very mediocre, giving the talent involved (Cooper, Sienna Miller, Emma Thompson, the dude from the "Lupin" series, Matthew Rhys, Alicia Vikander) and the technical consultants (Ramsay, Marco Pierre White, Marcus Wareing, Clare Smyth). Completely predictable, but I didn't have the heart to tell the new guy that.

And sous vide cooking is not the earth shattering breakthrough they make it out to be.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:21 pm
And sous vide cooking is not the earth shattering breakthrough they make it out to be.
I've been happy with mine, but I don't get very adventurous.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:21 pm The GF's daughter was in town with her new guy over the weekend. After dinner he said we should watch a movie, that was one of his favorites and he said that it had really got him into learning about food and how to cook. The movie? "Burnt" with Bradley Cooper playing a hot-shot chef (think Gordan Ramsey, but even a bigger asshole.) who had flamed out in Paris, and was now clean and sober and trying to get his third Michelin star in London. So we watched it.

And....not good. Not actively bad, but very mediocre, giving the talent involved (Cooper, Sienna Miller, Emma Thompson, the dude from the "Lupin" series, Matthew Rhys, Alicia Vikander) and the technical consultants (Ramsay, Marco Pierre White, Marcus Wareing, Clare Smyth). Completely predictable, but I didn't have the heart to tell the new guy that.

Now, if he'd busted out Chef with Jon Favreau... (And I've only caught part of that movie he suggested and it's hard to describe why it doesn't work. I hate to go cliche with "lack of chemistry" but it just lacked something.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Siri - show me the most Wes Anderson thing there ever can or will be

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So saw a reference to Blindside last night. Made me wonder what happened to Sean Tuohy Jr. (Michael Oher's little brother). I knew he went to Loyola (Baltimore) and played basketball. Did not realize he transferred as a grad student to SMU and played football (as a holder). Now is Associate Athletics Director, Football/Chief of Staff at UCF.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Saw the trailer for Wes Anderson’s upcoming new one. Looks very… WesAndersonney!

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:09 pm Saw the trailer for Wes Anderson’s upcoming new one. Looks very… WesAndersonney!

My son really wants to see this. And he is equally interested in the seeing the D&D movie this weekend.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:09 pm Saw the trailer for Wes Anderson’s upcoming new one. Looks very… WesAndersonney!

I described it as Wes Anderson doing a parody of a Wes Anderson film.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Is this Barbie movie actually going to be decent? I like the people behind it and the cast is excellent.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:02 pm Is this Barbie movie actually going to be decent? I like the people behind it and the cast is excellent.
I bet it's the next movie I see in the theater.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think ours will be Air because we have a free pizza from Alamo and there's literally nothing else that we'd both see.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

so...dungeons and dragons was excellent. like, truly fun. seriously.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:58 pm so...dungeons and dragons was excellent. like, truly fun. seriously.
I've heard the same! I don't know if I'll get a chance to see it, but I would if I could.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:00 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:58 pm so...dungeons and dragons was excellent. like, truly fun. seriously.
I've heard the same! I don't know if I'll get a chance to see it, but I would if I could.
I mean...it was exactly what I needed. A few hours of really fun movie escapism. Funny. Some heart and stakes. I mean, really funny. If anyone needs a few hours away from anything, strong recommend.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ve never played a second of the game and trailer looks fun. Will I be lost?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:55 pm I’ve never played a second of the game and trailer looks fun. Will I be lost?
Same. And same to what TB and Rass said above. Never played the game, heard the movie was a lot of fun.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don’t think you need to bring your d20s to the theater guys. I’ve never shot Marvin in the face but no one stopped me from watching pulp fiction.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I have heard the first verse of Weezer's "In the Garage" A LOT. I should be good.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:55 pm I’ve never played a second of the game and trailer looks fun. Will I be lost?
lol. no. I have never played the game either. Just go and have fun. It's really great.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think I've mentioned that a group of neighborhood dads and our kids started a campaign at the beginning of COVID. We're still meeting at least once a month and it's a lot of fun.

Looking forward to the movie, but I'm not going to cosplay as my Dragonborn Ranger. Probably.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am I think I've mentioned that a group of neighborhood dads and our kids started a campaign at the beginning of COVID. We're still meeting at least once a month and it's a lot of fun.

Looking forward to the movie, but I'm not going to cosplay as my Dragonborn Ranger. Probably.
What!?!?! This is the first you have said anything about this. Just kidding, we all know about your COVID nerdfest.

And we are all jealous.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Tetris is good. It captures the waning days of the USSR pretty well.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:59 pm Tetris is good. It captures the waning days of the USSR pretty well.
I thought so too.
[+] spoiler
Allegedly the only things that were added for movie effect were the Soviets visiting his wife in Tokyo and the car chase at the end
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you subscribe to the theory that the highest genius is simplicity (as I do), then Tetris is the greatest video game of all time, and it's not close. People will be playing it 50 years from now when the video game industry celebrates its centennial.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.