2023 NBA Playoffs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: 2023 NBA Playoffs

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Doc Rivers has been relieved of his coaching duties in Philly.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Forgetting to tell the Embiid to pretend its the regular season and the MVP is on the line for the last 4.5 quarters of the series goes down as his final major coaching blunder.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Burn it all down. Fuck Hinkie, fuck losing 199 games in three years, double-fuck the Process, fuck Brett Brown, fuck Doc, fuck that new arena they want to put on Market Street, fuck trading Moses and the eventual #1 overall which turned out to be Brad Daugherty for Roy Hinson and Jeff Ruland's knees made out of crabmeat, fuck Doug Moe, fuck trading Charles and getting back three nobodies, fuck Andrew Bynum, fuck Matt Geiger (aka "Caucasian Andrew Bynum"), fuck the man not in the arena punk-ass Ben Simmons, who didn't even play for the last two seasons but has the gall to talk shit -- maybe if you worked on your shooting instead of sticking your dick in a Kardashian, maybe you wouldn't be playing the string of your career out for the fucking Nets. Has anyone who banged a Kardashian ever gotten their career back on track?, fuck shitty-ass shooting Eric Snow, couldn't throw the ball in the Delaware River from the promenade on the Ben Franklin Bridge, fuck for trading for Derrick Coleman TWICE, fuck Tiny-Dog Glenn Robinson, fuck Okafor, fuck the seven consecutive seasons of getting worse in the 90s, fuck Hinkie again, fuck the 90s as fuck black uniforms, fuck never giving Iverson any outside shooters, fuck it all.

We're the New York Knicks with a better PR department.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know I've said this before, but the process was the right idea where everything else after the idea (admitting to the process, strictly picking BPA and stacking centers, seemingly trading for the sake of trading (Jrue), etc.) was completely fucked up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:55 am I know I've said this before, but the process was the right idea where everything else after the idea (admitting to the process, strictly picking BPA and stacking centers, seemingly trading for the sake of trading (Jrue), etc.) was completely fucked up.
The Process is the exact way I play sports video games on franchise mode. Choose a franchise, crater it, stack picks, and then rebuild. The difference is you can simulate multiple seasons quickly, use a player rating to determine their worth, and not have to worry about fans, players, or emotions.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:34 am Forgetting to tell the Embiid to pretend its the regular season and the MVP is on the line for the last 4.5 quarters of the series goes down as his final major coaching blunder.
This overlooks the exceptionally strong likelihood of Doc getting hired and fucking up in the postseason again.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:34 amHas anyone who banged a Kardashian ever gotten their career back on track?
Blake Griffin is on the Celtics and has reached the 3rd round for the first time in his career.

Pete Peter Davidson is telling me about Taco Bell breakfast.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:15 am
mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:34 am Forgetting to tell the Embiid to pretend its the regular season and the MVP is on the line for the last 4.5 quarters of the series goes down as his final major coaching blunder.
This overlooks the exceptionally strong likelihood of Doc getting hired and fucking up in the postseason again.
Doc in Phoenix omg
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:27 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:34 amHas anyone who banged a Kardashian ever gotten their career back on track?
Blake Griffin is on the Celtics and has reached the 3rd round for the first time in his career.

Pete Peter Davidson is telling me about Taco Bell breakfast.
The Kardashians have succubus-like vaginas, except they drain out talent and replace it with ridiculous behavior.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:32 am
Doc in Phoenix omg
With Harden.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 amThe Process is the exact way I play sports video games on franchise mode. Choose a franchise, crater it, stack picks, and then rebuild. The difference is you can simulate multiple seasons quickly, use a player rating to determine their worth, and not have to worry about fans, players, or emotions.
I don't think anyone would remember or care about the down years if they'd drafted properly, right?

*2013 6th: Nerlens Noel
2013 11th: Michael Carter-Williams
2014 3rd: Joel Embiid
*2014 12th: Dario Saric (traded 10th pick Elfrid Payton)
2015 3rd: Jahlil Okafor
2016 1st: Ben Simmons
2016 24th: Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
2016 26th: Furkan Korkmaz
2017 1st: Markelle Fultz
2018 16th: Zhaire Smith (traded 12th pick Mikal Bridges)
2018 26th: Landry Shamet

* Picks acquired for Jrue Holliday

Just for fun, and knowing its all hindsight and no team picks the ideal player in every spot, here's how it shakes out if they made the best pick of the next 5 players who went after their pick. I'm assuming any guy that goes in the next 5 is somewhat realistic and not some 2nd rounder who blew up ...

*2013 6th: CJ McCollum
2013 11th: Giannis Antetokounmpo
2014 3rd: Embiid
*2014 12th: Zach Levine
2015 3rd: Kristaps Porzingis (ugly lottery, Devin Booker went 13th and he's like the only star in the 1st they could have picked)
2016 1st: Brandon Ingram / Jaylen Brown
2016 24th: Pascal Siakim
2016 26th: Dejounte Murray
2017 1st: Jayson Tatum (LOL)
2018 16th: Could have kept Bridges, or picked Shai Gilgeous Alexander (went 11th) or the other Bridges or Michael Porter Jr.
2018 26th: Robert Williams, I guess?

The picks they stacked were wildly valuable, they just did a lot of dumb stuff with them. Noel was the right pick then, Embiid too, can't argue Simmons at the time because he was a freak. Okafor was infinitely stupid given the prior picks and seemed to imply The Process included BPA and adding talent without regard for roster building. Fultz seemed to make sense at the time but a smarter team beat them on that one. The Process failed (or hasn't yet succeeded) because the drafting was, relative to pick position, miserable. The Process, as a process, was right.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

For example, the Thunder have probably already equaled all that value and they still have 100 picks left
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Don't forget they couldn't figure out how to use Al Horford
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well, they "used" him to get rid of one of those tedious 1st round picks ; )
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:52 amThe Process failed (or hasn't yet succeeded) because the drafting was, relative to pick position, miserable. The Process, as a process, was right.
Yup. Totally agree.

However, my 1 minor quibble is that it's possible future draft positions aren't exactly what they are if you get the picks right in the present drafting year. Ya know, butterflies flapping their wings and all that.

Say they draft Booker 3rd in 2015 (which would've been a huge jump, right?) and Jaylen Brown the next year, are they getting the #1 pick the year after that? Shoot are they getting Jaylen Brown? I honestly don't know what their future compensation looked like starting from 2014.

(And I could research everything with so many picks moving, the conventional wisdom of what position they needed at the time, and so many other details to craft to an exact scenario, but I'd rather just take an NBA-head's word for it.)

It's also a great exercise in reminding everyone that sometimes it's just luck in getting draft picks right.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Point taken, although after the Embiid pick, hitting on any pick after with a star sets them on the right course, even if it costs them future lottery picks. They just missed over and over, some their fault, some just bad luck.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:32 am
Doc in Phoenix omg
With Chris Paul.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This would be ... malpractice!!!!!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Really interesting to watch the way Jokic plays, using his physical endurance to offset his lack of explosion. He's like that guy in pick-up who always runs up court, not always sprinting, just to make his defender have to do it, too. And if his man (especially Davis) is behind him on the baseline when he controls the rebound, he automatically goes harder to push upcourt and gain a numbers advantage. Jokic started off the game 12-15 from the field and two of those misses were Davis blocks.

Lakers seemed to get whatever they wanted on offense (54.8% FG, 45.8% 3FG, 30 assists against 7 turnovers - four guys with 17 or more points, all shooting at least 50% from the floor) and it hardly mattered at all.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think the Lakers made some adjustments in the second half and if they can carry that through it will be a good series. I thought the lakers made the right plays down the stretch(though the last reaves/james turnover was pretty bad) just didn't hit the shots.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Third-best defense and best in the West since the trade deadline and they gave up 106 in three quarters. Lakers were above average defensively in the restricted area, but roughed up pretty much everywhere else.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Maybe Grant Williams needs to shut the fuck up.

I called this a while back...
Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:40 pm And it's in this moment when I get the sinking feeling that the Celtics aren't winning it all this year.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Wowza...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oooof. This team ain't it.

Nuggets/Heat will be a fun finals though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Would be hilarious if all 4 conference finals in the NBA/NHL ended in sweeps.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Seems like its a bad sign that Embiid/Harden weren't mentally tough enough to close out at team that isn't mentally tough enough to even start a series against Miami minus Herro.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Mazzulla and Doc can chat about who's worse in the postseason in a few days.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Coulda been Ime. Sucks
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe if you'd been in the building saying that Mazzulla would have never been coach!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I like when random shit like this happens.

I'm pretty sure a similar thing happened to Rex Chapman when he tried to alley oop from half court.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:33 pm Would be hilarious if all 4 conference finals in the NBA/NHL ended in sweeps.
12 down, 4 to go.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I will laugh if the Heat win tomorrow night and then there won't be another game for 9 days.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

When was the last time, if ever, teams from the same town were in, and/or won the NBA and NHL championships?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As far as winning both NBA and NHL in a season, it’s never happened.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What about if you toss in the PGA Championship winner too?!?!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think the last time both winter teams from the same area were in the Finals was 2016 when the Sharks and the Warriors both made the Finals and lost. Last time both were from the same building was 2003 in New Jersey when the Devils won the Cup and the Nets lost to the Spurs.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:06 pm I will laugh if the Heat win tomorrow night and then there won't be another game for 9 days.
This might be worse for the NBA than the "television audience downgrade" from BOS-LAL to MIA-DEN.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, the nuggets were so much better than the lakers whole series. And that 4th quarter from Lebron was a woofer. He was destroyed tired/hurt. My money would be on him getting a "procedure" that will have him miss the first 2 months or so to manage load. I can't see him retiring for whatever reason.