NFL 2023 - Week 6

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: NFL 2023 - Week 6

Post by brian »

This is a national NFL writer not some local lackey.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That Dolphins-Chiefs game in three weeks will be the best London game ever. Worth waking up at 6 am for.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:53 pm
brian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:03 pm I’m not sure even I’m prepared to live in a world where the Lions are the best team in the world.
If that’s the world you’re living in, then I think it’s population: 1.
At the end of the season might be a different deal but they’re the best team right now.
In your opinion they are. They probably won't be favored next week and I would bet a lot of money that they wouldn't be favored over SF, Buffalo or Miami.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If our opinions are facts now, they were the 6th best team coming into this week and should get a boost for beating the 10th ranked team.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:17 am This is a national NFL writer not some local lackey.

Darlington apparently isn’t old enough to recall when the Bucs were the doormat of the NFC Central for much of the 80s and the first half of the 90s. Fans of the other NFC Central teams (Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota) would roll on down I-75 or fly into TPA and basically rival the Bucs’ fans attendance #s.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:47 am That Dolphins-Chiefs game in three weeks will be the best London game ever. Worth waking up at 6 am for.
best Europe game ever (hopefully). it's in Frankfurt.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just watched it now. The Giants and their fans are rightfully furious over that no-call on the final play. In terms of blatant, that’s as egregious as the one that screwed the Saints.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Congratulations on the Browns beating the best team in football with a quarterback to whom the Bears guaranteed $2 million, then decided wasn’t good enough to make their team.

Meanwhile, Justin Fields got hurt (reportedly a dislocated thumb) and the Bears turned to their backup, an undrafted free agent who one year ago to the day led D-II Shepherd University to a 55-17 rout over Millersville. Yes, that was a real game. Anyway, on his third play yesterday, Tyson Bagent was strip-sacked and the Vikings returned it for a touchdown that would hold up as the winning points in the game.

The Bears also had promoted Nathan Peterman from the practice squad Saturday, then made him inactive for the game.

Completely normal thought processes on display.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:24 pm So the theme for Fox’s commercials for their number one NFL broadcast team seems to be “Kevin Burkhardt is a stuffy prick who seems to not like his coworkers (and they may not like him)”.
Somehow makes their work environment seem relatable, really.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:37 am Congratulations on the Browns beating the best team in football with a quarterback to whom the Bears guaranteed $2 million, then decided wasn’t good enough to make their team.

Meanwhile, Justin Fields got hurt (reportedly a dislocated thumb) and the Bears turned to their backup, an undrafted free agent who one year ago to the day led D-II Shepherd University to a 55-17 rout over Millersville. Yes, that was a real game. Anyway, on his third play yesterday, Tyson Bagent was strip-sacked and the Vikings returned it for a touchdown that would hold up as the winning points in the game.

The Bears also had promoted Nathan Peterman from the practice squad Saturday, then made him inactive for the game.

Such a shame after their offense looked so good last week. But I maintain the Jets beat the best team in football yesterday, even if they were only 9th on the Horsepower list. I gave the Jets less than 1% chance of winning and I'm still in shock. Defense is incredible, especially without both starting CBs against a top 3 WR duo and Zach Wilson has progressed a half-step above the Nathan Peterman level.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:04 am I just watched it now. The Giants and their fans are rightfully furious over that no-call on the final play. In terms of blatant, that’s as egregious as the one that screwed the Saints.
Them and everyone still alive in survivor who was hoping that half or more of the remaining entrants in their pools was about to be knocked out.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:16 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:37 am Congratulations on the Browns beating the best team in football with a quarterback to whom the Bears guaranteed $2 million, then decided wasn’t good enough to make their team.

Such a shame after their offense looked so good last week. But I maintain the Jets beat the best team in football yesterday, even if they were only 9th on the Horsepower list. I gave the Jets less than 1% chance of winning and I'm still in shock. Defense is incredible, especially without both starting CBs against a top 3 WR duo and Zach Wilson has progressed a half-step above the Nathan Peterman level.
Seriously, if Rodgers doesn't get hurt, that's probably a legit Super Bowl team.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:16 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:04 am I just watched it now. The Giants and their fans are rightfully furious over that no-call on the final play. In terms of blatant, that’s as egregious as the one that screwed the Saints.
Them and everyone still alive in survivor who was hoping that half or more of the remaining entrants in their pools was about to be knocked out.
I had Buffalo this week, and even I can call that non-call as crap.

At least there was some tiny silver lining in the Eagles losing. That was the only KOs in my big money pool.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:17 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:16 am

Seriously, if Rodgers doesn't get hurt, that's probably a legit Super Bowl team.
Especially considering the entire offense was built to suit Rodgers and they brought in 2 of his favorite receivers at his demand. So bummed, I really wanted to see what this team could have been. Mostly I feel terrible for Garrett Wilson, he has so much talent and has to be frustrated as hell. Just hoping the Jets get a decent QB before he looks to leave.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Certainly wouldn’t defend the Bears front office, but PJ Walker was wayyyyy down on the list of reasons Cleveland beat the 49ers.
1. The Browns’ defense.
2. The 49ers’ kicker.
3. The weather.
4. Injuries.
5. Purdy’s performance.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If my opinions somehow manifested into reality I wouldn’t be wasting them on the Lions.

So yeah. I thought opinions were one of the things we did around here.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:59 am

Certainly wouldn’t defend the Bears front office, but PJ Walker was wayyyyy down on the list of reasons Cleveland beat the 49ers.
1. The Browns’ defense.
2. The 49ers’ kicker.
3. The weather.
4. Injuries.
5. Purdy’s performance.
My point is that perhaps the Bears should have hung on to the guy who they guaranteed money to in order to bring in a backup who has a comparable play style to their starter and that cutting him was probably a very poor decision. Walker would not have guaranteed the Bears winning yesterday, but it is possible that he is better than the cheaper option they decided to move forward with, especially because they could have just... kept both.

Well aware that the Browns' defense and injuries to Samuel and McCaffrey really played a role in the outcome, but the Browns' kicker also missed a field goal early in the game. Also, Walker was without two Pro Bowl-caliber starting linemen (Jack Conklin and Joel Bitonio) and Nick Chubb. Both teams were playing in the same weather, so I don't think one team should be credited/the other debited for that.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:21 am
That was as unsatisfying a win as I can remember the Bills having.

The defense is pretty beaten up, but that was an inexcusably weak performance against a horrible team.

Rumblings that Ken Dorsey's seat is becoming much hotter. Compare the 2nd half when they ran the ball and burned the clock to the first half when it was "where's Diggs?" and nothing else. Ultimately giving up 9 points is good... but scoring 14 against that D?
Canadian International
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:58 pm

The defense is pretty beaten up, but that was an inexcusably weak performance against a horrible team.

Rumblings that Ken Dorsey's seat is becoming much hotter. Compare the 2nd half when they ran the ball and burned the clock to the first half when it was "where's Diggs?" and nothing else. Ultimately giving up 9 points is good... but scoring 14 against that D?
If only they had a young, dynamic running back that averages 5 YPC and can make plays in the passing game.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:32 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:58 pm

If only they had a young, dynamic running back that averages 5 YPC and can make plays in the passing game.
Don't get me started...
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That blown no call at the end of Giants/Bills wasn't just a defensive hold/PI, but there was a time when the defender actually had to look for the ball in order to be legitimately covering a receiver. I feel like an old man right now.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ref Show tonight in LA. What the fans pay to see.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

What a bunch of front running MFers out in Los Angeles. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:05 pm Ref Show tonight in LA. What the fans pay to see.
Absolutely awful. It’s like they were getting paid by the flag.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I NEED this shirt.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Brian isn't terribly far off. Detroit is now #2 in DVOA to the 49ers, 44.6% to 38.8%, functionally a toss-up. They're rated 4th in Offense (behind historic Miami, then a gap to the 49ers and Buffalo) and then just barely 3rd in Defense (Cleveland, big gap to Baltimore).

And to look at them a little more granularly, they're very balanced. They rank 4th passing and 7th running on offense, and 5th against the pass and 3rd against the run on defense.

HERE
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They pass the eye test too, but in a world where I was forced to rank the one-loss teams I’d probably put SF #1 and Miami #2 and Detroit #3 but as you noted with the DVOA ratings it’s a lot closer than many people think.

I think the Lions remaining schedule is either 31th or 32nd in the NFL and they don’t play Philly or SF so they have a crack at home field for the playoffs.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I’d have gone with pigs flying, unicorns, proof of Bigfoot…
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A 200-foot tall jacked Roary walking across the Detroit River is nightmare fuel.