Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: NCAA FB 2023

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:52 pm
brian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:50 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:48 pm TIL that Army-Navy isn't always in Philadelphia.
Not sure where they’re playing this week but I remember them playing at MetLife in NJ a couple times. And maybe in Baltimore a couple times? Now I want to look it up.
You are correct on all counts. It's in Foxborough this year.
Yeah first time ever there. Interesting. At least there’s the potential for one compelling game in that stadium this year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:46 pm TV money directly distributed to schools and booster money paid to coaches through school foundations are apples and oranges
Because earmarks? Should the foundations not be making academic investments? Should they not be equally ashamed at flushing money and equally scrutinized for wasting it on football instead of teaching and tuition and endowments?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:38 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:56 am
degenerasian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:54 amThe only reason FSU and Clemson haven’t left the ACC is the punitive TV deal that the conference locked in. To leave you have to pony up over 30 million dollars. The teams are going to court to try and remove that and if successful the ACC will lose its good football schools overnight and like the big east it will become a basketball conference.
Yes, it was at risk this summer too. But this will push any money arguments over the line. No way that FSU and Clemson put all that money into football only to be told they can win every game and STILL not earn a spot at the big table. There's almost no dollar figure high enough to overcome that.
I don't know it offhand, but I suspect that buyout number quoted by Degen is low. The grant of rights that they signed goes for at least a decade more.
Yeah, I looked it up and it's $120M.

(Meanwhile Jimbo Fisher is being paid $75M not to coach, so... what are really talking about with this silly amount of money.)
Do you remember the source on that? I ask because David Hale, who covers the ACC for ESPN, had a twitter thread before the season (when FSU was talking about working with investment banks to raise funds so it could leave the conference) where he estimated it would cost $500 million for a team to get out of the ACC's grant of rights deal (in large part due to its length - expires 2036).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:34 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:46 pm TV money directly distributed to schools and booster money paid to coaches through school foundations are apples and oranges
Because earmarks? Should the foundations not be making academic investments? Should they not be equally ashamed at flushing money and equally scrutinized for wasting it on football instead of teaching and tuition and endowments?
Exactly.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:00 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:38 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:56 am
degenerasian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:54 amThe only reason FSU and Clemson haven’t left the ACC is the punitive TV deal that the conference locked in. To leave you have to pony up over 30 million dollars. The teams are going to court to try and remove that and if successful the ACC will lose its good football schools overnight and like the big east it will become a basketball conference.
Yes, it was at risk this summer too. But this will push any money arguments over the line. No way that FSU and Clemson put all that money into football only to be told they can win every game and STILL not earn a spot at the big table. There's almost no dollar figure high enough to overcome that.
I don't know it offhand, but I suspect that buyout number quoted by Degen is low. The grant of rights that they signed goes for at least a decade more.
Yeah, I looked it up and it's $120M.

(Meanwhile Jimbo Fisher is being paid $75M not to coach, so... what are really talking about with this silly amount of money.)
Do you remember the source on that? I ask because David Hale, who covers the ACC for ESPN, had a twitter thread before the season (when FSU was talking about working with investment banks to raise funds so it could leave the conference) where he estimated it would cost $500 million for a team to get out of the ACC's grant of rights deal (in large part due to its length - expires 2036).
https://apnews.com/article/florida-stat ... a18ebd8bf5
To bolt the ACC, any school would need to pay an exit fee of three times its annual revenue (approximately $120 million) and would need to navigate the grant in media rights to the ACC to be able to broadcast future games. If not, all TV revenue a school generates from a new conference would have to be paid back to the ACC.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:21 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:00 pmDo you remember the source on that? I ask because David Hale, who covers the ACC for ESPN, had a twitter thread before the season (when FSU was talking about working with investment banks to raise funds so it could leave the conference) where he estimated it would cost $500 million for a team to get out of the ACC's grant of rights deal (in large part due to its length - expires 2036).
https://apnews.com/article/florida-stat ... a18ebd8bf5
To bolt the ACC, any school would need to pay an exit fee of three times its annual revenue (approximately $120 million) and would need to navigate the grant in media rights to the ACC to be able to broadcast future games. If not, all TV revenue a school generates from a new conference would have to be paid back to the ACC.
Cool, thanks. I think Hale's calculation was accounting for all the future years' TV revenue that the team would be bypassing by jumping ship and not being able to collect/have their games be televised on other outlets.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Also, very weird to see a coaches leaving Georgia (DB coach ---> head coach), aTm (co-DC ---> DC), and Colorado (D-line ---> D-line) to come to Syracuse. Recruiting for the Orange has probably gotten more interesting than any time in the school's history in the last 48 hours or so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Tyler Buchner Alabama QB (and former Notre Dame QB) is in the transfer portal...to play lacrosse.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... osse/62316

This just made the front page of ESPN.com
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I gave my MI buddy a chuckle last night over text:
Sorry if you've already heard this 1000 times already, but pulling McCord from the portal and transforming him into a guy that can withstand pressure would be the ultimate fuck you to OSU, Day and their crazy ass fanbase
I was surprised when he replied that that was a funny take he hadn't heard.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:46 am I gave my MI buddy a chuckle last night over text:
Sorry if you've already heard this 1000 times already, but pulling McCord from the portal and transforming him into a guy that can withstand pressure would be the ultimate fuck you to OSU, Day and their crazy ass fanbase
I was surprised when he replied that that was a funny take he hadn't heard.
That would certainly trump Mr Plow as the best The Game transfer story.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Or maybe he gives them OSUs signs?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Iowa’s punter needs 19 yards to break the single-season record for punting yards, which has stood for 85 years. Might stand for 85 more after he breaks it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My buddy was telling me that he read where any player late to the new A&M coach's meeting were told to put their names in the portal. Who knows if that's true, but I feel like it's a really shitty way to start if it is.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Gotta think that's par for course and relatively tame in terms of football coaching leadership styles. At least he didn't start talking about Louie bags.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:01 am My buddy was telling me that he read where any player late to the new A&M coach's meeting were told to put their names in the portal. Who knows if that's true, but I feel like it's a really shitty way to start if it is.
I'm generally not a fan of that kind of coaching shit, but I kind of get that. Any coach knows that a lot of players are going to be unhappy with the coaching change. Players also know that the first meeting with a coach is a big deal. Anyone who shows up late to that meeting is probably a player who doesn't want to be there anyway.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is there a sag in the middle of the couch the Penix family is sitting on or is he that small?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are you asking if Penix is smaller than you previously assumed?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Like “Penix” sounds like “penis”. That was a penis size joke.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gary Danielson is terrible every other week but this game is one that he can understand. Throwback offenses means he has real insight.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My buddy just offered me face value on a Rose Bowl ticket.

I'm getting old. I might have to figure out a way to make this happen.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Never too old for something like that
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I kind of meant it in the opposite direction... Not sure how many more opportunities I'm gonna have to knock certain items off my bucket list. (I'm only 53, so i don't really feel "old," its more about being a MI fan that "has seen some things.")
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do it!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Got to do it.

Spirit flies cheap!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

With Harbaugh leaving might be UM’s last time in a Rose Bowl/semifinal for awhile.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:15 pm With Harbaugh leaving might be UM’s last time in a Rose Bowl/semifinal for awhile.
Hmm… Harbaugh did start his collegiate head coaching career in southern California. (University of San Diego). Might he be interested in the Chargers? Or, the Raiders?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:37 pm
brian wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:15 pm With Harbaugh leaving might be UM’s last time in a Rose Bowl/semifinal for awhile.
Hmm… Harbaugh did start his collegiate head coaching career in southern California. (University of San Diego). Might he be interested in the Chargers? Or, the Raiders?
Yeah, right now Chargers are the clubhouse favorite. Bears jump to #1 if they fire Eberflus (as they should) since Harbaugh played for the Bears, he wouldn't have to move his family far from Michigan and they'll likely have their choice of Maye or Williams.

Don't rule out Mark Davis backing up a Brinks truck to his door though. Depending about how much Harbaugh cares about money the Raiders will likely pay more and have the benefit of no state income tax.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:09 pmYeah, right now Chargers are the clubhouse favorite. Bears jump to #1 if they fire Eberflus (as they should) since Harbaugh played for the Bears, he wouldn't have to move his family far from Michigan and they'll likely have their choice of Maye or Williams.
They won't. They've played better recently, have the #1 pick through Carolina, and won't want to pay for Harbaugh.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I really don't think he goes unless they win the natty. Then I think things flip to more like 75 percent chance. And there's also the issue of how much control he would want to have and whether whatever team out there would grant that to him. That's, apparently, what killed the deal in MN (and apparently a guy in the owner's ear that just didn't like him.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Dsafe.. Thoughts on McCord?

I happen to think that dude is pretty damn good and an insane fan base just booted a future NFL-caliber QB out of town. (I think, to be fair, he also didn't feel like competing with a couple of 5 star level players next season when his time to put stuff on tape is running out.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:17 am
I really don't think he goes unless they win the natty. Then I think things flip to more like 75 percent chance. And there's also the issue of how much control he would want to have and whether whatever team out there would grant that to him. That's, apparently, what killed the deal in MN (and apparently a guy in the owner's ear that just didn't like him.)
Hope I’m wrong but I think he’s just done with the NCAA’s bullshit and I know him and Manuel don’t see eye to eye. Think it also grates him getting to the Super Bowl and not winning it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:22 am Dsafe.. Thoughts on McCord?

I happen to think that dude is pretty damn good and an insane fan base just booted a future NFL-caliber QB out of town. (I think, to be fair, he also didn't feel like competing with a couple of 5 star level players next season when his time to put stuff on tape is running out.)
There was an article in the Columbus Dispatch that boiled down his decision to transfer in that McCord wanted the athletic department to get him more NIL, he wanted to be guaranteed the starting job (Day wouldn't and the article also cited they didn't have a great relationship in part because Day likes a more "fiery" leadership style from his QB), and there is some residual anger there from when they played him in a meaningless fifth game his freshman season and ate up his redshirt year.

There has reportedly been some significant increase in NIL donations at Syracuse in the last couple months (an official group through the university helped, as did several large donations when they fired Babers), but I don't know how that will work out for McCord other than I'm sure he got paid. I'm also sure he got promised the starting job next year, which was an obvious move. The starter has used his eligibility (and played the last three games with a shoulder tear he has since gotten surgery on) and the backup threw six picks in 51 attempts. They had to bring in someone for next year.

I don't know if McCord really understands the level of offensive line play at Syracuse the last several seasons. Playing here requires a level of athleticism from quarterbacks that is grounded in a need for self-preservation. Their first week depth chart the season had three transfers on the offensive line, two of whom having never taken a D-I snap. One of them, a grad transfer from Richmond, missed most of the season with an injury, and another tore an ACL early in the season. It ain't good. I don't care if tOSU's offensive line had a "bad year", it was better than what McCord will be working with.

The bowl game is Thursday night and I imagine they'll use the offense they did the final three games of the season. They used a backup tight end (former Michigan QB Dan Villari, who transferred to SU and switched to TE) for a lot of snaps and also went with Wildcat for their running back. They operated a small number of plays, including a very limited passing repertoire. Villari was 14-of-14 against Georgia Tech... for 59 yards.

The new coach at Syracuse, Fran Brown, is from New Jersey and was the DB coach at Georgia. He is using all his connections to get coaches and players right away, as in addition to McCord (from New Jersey), they've also brought in other transfers - two WRs from Georgia and an edge rusher from West Virginia (from New Jersey) as transfers. His DC is a childhood friend who was a d-line coach at aTm. They're trying to get a transfer DE from aTm, as well as his brother, who is in the current high school class. They are from, that's right, New Jersey.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ah. Now that you mention the OL... One of the major points of emphasis from M this year was to get him rattled in the pocket. With that said, other than the 2 INTs, I thought he did very well against a damn good M defense.

PSU was the other team with enough juice on the DL to put him under duress and he didn't really handle it well... But sure looked like he learned from the experience (mostly) in The Game.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FSU Board of Regents holding an emergency meeting tomorrow. Bye bye, ACC. I hope it costs you a fucking fortune.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:26 am FSU Board of Regents holding an emergency meeting tomorrow. Bye bye, ACC. I hope it costs you a fucking fortune.
The lawyers who have been reading the grant of rights for two years must have finally figured something out.

Or, the plan to work with VC firms to generate money finally came through.

Or, they just want to play on ACC Network Extra for free for a decade-plus.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:44 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:26 am FSU Board of Regents holding an emergency meeting tomorrow. Bye bye, ACC. I hope it costs you a fucking fortune.
The lawyers who have been reading the grant of rights for two years must have finally figured something out.

Or, the plan to work with VC firms to generate money finally came through.

Or, they just want to play on ACC Network Extra for free for a decade-plus.
My inspired take is that the committee made this move to hasten the dismantling of the current conferences.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've heard rumblings of full-on conference merging and that kinda makes more sense. ACC merging with either the Big Ten or Big Twelve. And then hopefully they all come to their senses and make it football only.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think Chip Kelly's comments about separating out football from all other sports is getting a very necessary "next up" conversation going.

What the B1G is doing w their schedule... The reality of just how idiotic that set up is going to be... Is also forcing the issue.

(The other thing that needs to be addressed "right now" is how stupid the timing is on early signing day and portal transfers. Next year at this time, you're going to be in the middle of the playoffs... Having to stop and also focus on those two massive team building issues in the middle of the playoffs is the height of stupidity.)