Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:26 am The actual lyrics of “Slam” by the hip hop group Onyx.
I know, right! I checked three different links!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wife and the girls are getting their nails done and there is a pub next door and I’m having a beer and Here I Go Again by Whitesnake came on and it was obviously a different version than what’s normally heard on the radio and maybe the third time I heard the chorus I tuned in enough to realize he was saying “hobo” instead of “drifter” and I’m here in this thread to say that today I learned the “hobo version” of the song is a thing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:37 pm Wife and the girls are getting their nails done and there is a pub next door and I’m having a beer and Here I Go Again by Whitesnake came on and it was obviously a different version than what’s normally heard on the radio and maybe the third time I heard the chorus I tuned in enough to realize he was saying “hobo” instead of “drifter” and I’m here in this thread to say that today I learned the “hobo version” of the song is a thing.
Is it still Whitesnake or a cover?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:52 pm
rass wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:37 pm Wife and the girls are getting their nails done and there is a pub next door and I’m having a beer and Here I Go Again by Whitesnake came on and it was obviously a different version than what’s normally heard on the radio and maybe the third time I heard the chorus I tuned in enough to realize he was saying “hobo” instead of “drifter” and I’m here in this thread to say that today I learned the “hobo version” of the song is a thing.
Is it still Whitesnake or a cover?
Coverdale, not cover
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:55 am
Giff wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:26 am The actual lyrics of “Slam” by the hip hop group Onyx.
I know, right! I checked three different links!
I still want to know what this nonsense is all about.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ok ok i know the answer to this one due to my long-ago status in high school as a bit of a diehard Whitesnake fan (i did say it was "long-ago" already, sheesh).

The version everyone knows c1987 was them actually re-recording their own song from c1981 which is the "hobo version" :) - the 1987 one is obviously awash in enormous 80s production and reverb upon reverb upon screaming guitar and massive drums sounding like they're in a canyon.

The original was different (although the intros sounded similar) - Whitesnake [up until Coverdale decided to try to make it big in America] was far more like Deep Purple; very bluesy and no synths just 2 guitars and a big old organ (mostly played by ex-Purple keyboard player Jon Lord, funny enough). A much cooler sound. Then they put out a kind of cool mid-80s hard rock album "Slide It In" (worst lyrics of all time on that song? maybe) and then the "i liked it at the time but oy" huge album everyone knows in 1987 and they were long-gone.

That's more information than you'll ever want to know and I'm avoiding a work phone call that I don't want to take so let me tell you all about the various rock family trees emanating from Ritchie Blackmore ....

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Alan Jackson 69’d way down yonder by the Chatahoochie.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto