Presidential Election 2024

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Presidential Election 2024

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:47 pm Are we underestimating Biden just a little bit? He's a lot emotionally tougher than we've been giving him credit, and this guy has decades of experience in front of the mike. He's also going up against a guy who is clearly in mental decline. I can very easily see Biden chuckling at him, needling him, and getting him off his game to the point where TFG goes completely off script and either shits himself onstage, and/or rushes to attack Biden physically. And since TFG is in bad physical shape, he'd be likely to trip and fall and crack his dumb head open. That sounds like a win/win.
I think I agree with this. I remember fearing Biden's supposed cognitive decline so much, but he is so much quicker mentally than Trump.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:28 pm
Giff wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:20 pm I think it's a fantastic idea. Biden sounds like Einstein when compared to Trump trying to answer an actual question.
Hillary even more so, but he gained at the debates against Hillary.
Because it's such a farce. It has zero to do with policy or ideas, and of course it will be presented to us like it does. And then the talking heads will chew it over endlessly continuing the charade. The only reason I'd watch is the chance that t might shit himself, but given the fact they're both geezers it could happen to either. Easy pass.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I haven't watched a debate live in a number of cycles. If something important happens, I'll see it on YouTube or TikTok or whatever.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I don't know if anyone else watched Biden's interview with Howard Stern but I thought he did well in that environment...was able to answer questions that were off-topic or jump to whatever Stern wanted to ask about. I realize it's a controlled environment and low bar but it's something.

It doesn't matter if Trump goes into his incoherent rambling...his fans don't hear it that way.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:47 pm Are we underestimating Biden just a little bit? He's a lot emotionally tougher than we've been giving him credit, and this guy has decades of experience in front of the mike. He's also going up against a guy who is clearly in mental decline. I can very easily see Biden chuckling at him, needling him, and getting him off his game to the point where TFG goes completely off script and either shits himself onstage, and/or rushes to attack Biden physically. And since TFG is in bad physical shape, he'd be likely to trip and fall and crack his dumb head open. That sounds like a win/win.
I have no doubt Biden understands every issue exponentially more than Trump, but ignorance and idiocy has never hurt Trump. Biden was always a weird guy and prone to gaffes, and while he is much better than the media portrays, he has definitely slipped a little. The stakes are much higher for a Biden blunder than Trump. People are watching to see if Biden is a senile old man, and if he slips up, that'll be the takeaway. Trump is guaranteed to come across as a raving lunatic, but that won't make any difference. I feared Biden's debate performances 4 years ago, and I thought he did a great job.

I heard a pundit (maybe one of the Pod Save Guys) make an interesting point that Trump being stuck in trials during the campaign is actually beneficial to him. Not only because he can fund raise up a storm because of how badly he is treated by the rigged Democrat system and the fact that people not paying attention believe Dems are targeting him with lawsuits, but keeping him off the trail talking about real issues is helping him. People who don't pay attention forgot how truly horrible he is, and if they heard him talking about his plans if elected (mostly revenge on his enemies and trying to become a Fascist dictator), they'd lean towards Biden.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think that was Dan Pfeiffer, Syb. So yes. It's a good point.

However, once this current court thing wraps up he should be mostly free since the other 3 have been delayed and delayed and delayed.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jeeeeezzzzz ussssss....

billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

For anyone who saw Simon Rosenberg's meltdown in the Chotiner New Yorker interview, this is much more reasonable take from someone who's actually part of Biden's campaign on the polling numbers and where they feel like the risk and opportunity is. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 0655525867
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'd really love to know who the Gallego-Trump people are in Arizona. That makes no damn sense.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’d love to know who all of these supposed Trump/Biden/Trump voters are if some polls are to be believed
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:22 pm I’d love to know who all of these supposed Trump/Biden/Trump voters are if some polls are to be believed
That’s fairly logical to me. Some of this will be people who thought Trump was too crazy conservative, then voted for Biden the Moderate, then Biden turned out to be too liberal.

There will also be the perpetually dissatisfied who vote against the incumbent when they feel things are bad. I think inflation and “crime” will make this more of an issue.

From the 1830s until Woodrow Wilson, only Grant managed to serve eight straight years. (Two got re-elected but were assassinated.) I wouldn’t be surprised to see another era of unrest like that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:17 pm I'd really love to know who the Gallego-Trump people are in Arizona. That makes no damn sense.
You have to remember that most voters are morons.