Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by rass »

Heard When I’m Sixty Four today. The DJ played that at our wedding when we cut the cake. We were 25. I’ll be 64 in 15 years.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:08 pm Heard When I’m Sixty Four today. The DJ played that at our wedding when we cut the cake. We were 25. I’ll be 64 in 15 years.
Well, thanks for making me feel extra-old, now!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NO TIGER LEAVE THE HAT ON
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:58 pm NO TIGER LEAVE THE HAT ON
The Woman said same. Then said well, Adam Scott may have copied his swing, but at least he doesn't have tiger's hairline. Yeah, she is an innocent bystander for a lot of golf watching.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

First job was dealing with the throngs to see one of the 6-8 screens all showing the same thing. Day after day. We couldn't even keep up with the trash. Semi sweep before the next crowd barged in.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hold on to your hats, fellas
[+] spoiler
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Eminem's daughter got married.

Seems like it was only yesterday she was helping dump her mom's dead body with her father. 😢

(Eminem is 51, btw.)

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

In light of Mr D's mention of midpoints the other day, 1984 is the midpoint between D-Day and today.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:43 am In light of Mr D's mention of midpoints the other day, 1984 is the midpoint between D-Day and today.
To me, it seems obvious that the world changed WAY more from 1944 to 1984 than from 1984 to now. But is that just because I lived the latter? Obviously, in 1984 computers were still pretty new, there was no Internet and certainly no phones like we have today.

But still, it feels like culturally, we changed a whole lot more in the 20th century, particularly in the 60s and maybe 70s. The 80s just don't feel that different from today. But the 50s seems completely foreign to the 80s. Am I crazy?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just goes to show, the good old days aren't always good and and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:49 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:43 am In light of Mr D's mention of midpoints the other day, 1984 is the midpoint between D-Day and today.
To me, it seems obvious that the world changed WAY more from 1944 to 1984 than from 1984 to now. But is that just because I lived the latter? Obviously, in 1984 computers were still pretty new, there was no Internet and certainly no phones like we have today.

But still, it feels like culturally, we changed a whole lot more in the 20th century, particularly in the 60s and maybe 70s. The 80s just don't feel that different from today. But the 50s seems completely foreign to the 80s. Am I crazy?
Such a fascinating question. My first thought was on point with your take, especially thinking back to 2000, it feels like not much has changed, but I do think it's because we lived it and it feels slow and incremental to the point of not noticing. I do think living through the period makes a huge difference. We view the 50s and 60s through the lens of TV shows and video footage we've seen. I do think that has a huge impact on our perspective. If out kids watch footage from 2000 (for those kids born after that), it probably looks really old to them because of the lower quality video, but our memories are what we saw, so the quality hasn't changed (if that makes sense).

Then look at it from the POV of a time traveler. Someone from the 50's would probably have a much easier time jumping forward to the 80s than someone from the 80s could function today. 80's the shock would be level to douchiness and horrible style, but I think we underestimate how much technology has changed the way we live, work and function. Someone needs to make a TV show to explore this question.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Technologically, I think there's been way more change since 1984 than from 1944-1984.

But I think social change may have been greater during that first 40-year period. In 1944, segregation and Jim Crow were endemic. Women had limited opportunities for employment. Wives were subordinate to husbands, dammit. Gays were put in jail. Only Jazz musicians were smoking marijuana.

Obviously there's been a ton of social change in the past forty years, but it seems to me that most of it was simply continuing the changes that took place in the decades before that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I read somewhere that it was in the 60s that we got our first generation that didn't want to grow up to be like their parents. Kids weren't all acting like little adults and trying to grow up as fast as they can. And that freaked out the older population at the time, which was the cause of much of the generational unrest we had from the mid-60s through maybe the early-mid 70s. And it's been that way ever since.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:52 am I read somewhere that it was in the 60s that we got our first generation that didn't want to grow up to be like their parents. Kids weren't all acting like little adults and trying to grow up as fast as they can. And that freaked out the older population at the time, which was the cause of much of the generational unrest we had from the mid-60s through maybe the early-mid 70s. And it's been that way ever since.
That can't possibly be true, in my opinion. I'd bet that there's something inherent about adolescence that points to this mindset being as old as time.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Fair, and I oversimplified it. But one way to think about it is to look at pictures of kids (teenagers, really) from before the 60s. They largely dressed like their parents. They listened to the same music and read the same books and newspapers. That started changing mid-century with the rise of rock and roll and counterculture.

Or maybe I'm wrong.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:44 amTechnologically, I think there's been way more change since 1984 than from 1944-1984.

But I think social change may have been greater during that first 40-year period. In 1944, segregation and Jim Crow were endemic. Women had limited opportunities for employment. Wives were subordinate to husbands, dammit. Gays were put in jail. Only Jazz musicians were smoking marijuana.

Obviously there's been a ton of social change in the past forty years, but it seems to me that most of it was simply continuing the changes that took place in the decades before that.
Don't worry, people are working on it.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:46 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:44 amTechnologically, I think there's been way more change since 1984 than from 1944-1984.

Don't worry, people are working on it.
That’s dark.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pat Sajak's final Wheel of Fortune just started.

(At least out here. It probably already aired back east.)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Man, I remember when Vanna was in Playboy (checks Wikipedia) 37 years ago!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Did she have some real - - - gers on her?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:12 pm Did she have some real - - - gers on her?
I’d like to solve the puzzle. real Rangers.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Sorry, we were looking for “NAGGERS”.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Google Christian Laettner... before you hit enter a black and white photo appears next to his name and "former American basketball player'
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I went from hating him so bad to having a poster of him up in my room all because he was playing with Micheal Williams.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto