Maybe Landon Donovan is not such a nice guy

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Maybe Landon Donovan is not such a nice guy

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Takes a shot at Jurgen's tactics.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soc ... world-cup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But maybe this is a pattern. Remember he is a big factor/source/vocal negative factor when Beck's came to the Galaxy too (At least that is how I read Wahl's book).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Maybe Landon Donovan is not such a nice guy

Post by P.D.X. »

Well, that bridge is burned. He could've still been an option for Olympics (for an old-man spot)/ Gold Cup / Copa America.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

So he basically said the same thing Grant Wahl did about tactics, right? I don't see it as that bad for a guy who was cut to criticize the coach's tactics.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

EdRomero wrote:So he basically said the same thing Grant Wahl did about tactics, right? I don't see it as that bad for a guy who was cut to criticize the coach's tactics.
There's a difference between a journalist criticizing tactics and a player who (one could assume) hopes to get another call-up.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Everything I've seen from Donovan is quite moderate and reasonable, given the context. At worst, he's an attacking player who wanted the American team to play attacking soccer. even against superior talent, and even after losing their only potentially adequate striker to injury. Probably every attacking player on the USMNT and playing at any level in the USA feels the same way. They want to go for it. Klinsmann probably felt the same way at times during his playing career. This is not likely to change his view of Donovan's suitability for a future roster.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

German Fulham coach slams Donovan
Entertaining comments.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is why a lot of folks groaned when we heard he'd accepted a role with ESPN.

There's just not a lot of good that comes from an active player sitting in the analysts' chair. I have absolutely no problem with guys like Keller, Lalas, Wynalda, etc. offering their opinions. But this is like having a guy that was traded out of Miami sitting in and opining about the NBA Finals. He might have valid opinions, but who the Hell knows what is actually motivating him to say this stuff.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.