2013 Boston Marathon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

Re: 2013 Boston Marathon

Post by Scottie »

rass wrote:Looks like the same sweatshirt, right?
It does.

And, if that photo is legit, it's a good way to get fired (or worse) given that it is a federal crime scene.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

My neighborhood is filled with kids in the streets.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

garyclark wrote:My neighborhood is filled with kids in the streets.
Make sure they stay off your lawn.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

rass wrote:
Make sure they stay off your lawn.
Both front and back fenced. No chance.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Good to hear.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

A lot of fucking rounds

Post by howard »

Amazing he survived, boat or no boat for cover.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I hate this fucking bullshit so much.

Fuck Lindsay Graham up the fucking peehole with a rolled-up glossy of Ernesto Miranda. And make him choke of a copy of the Bill of Rights if he squawks.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That photo I linked was just flashed on CNN.

(Well, it doesn't say much about how legit it is, but ya know. It probably does.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Anyone following Sean Astin on twitter? his first tweet after the bombings was something along the lines of - there is absolutely nothing that will keep me from running' . hey, Frodo's gay sidekick, the bombing had nothing to do with running. it was a mass gathering, that is all. all people have to do to stop runners is run them over with their cars.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That works for cyclists too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Instead of running all the way there, why couldn't the giant eagles just fly him to the end of the race???
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

rass wrote:Instead of running all the way there, why couldn't the giant eagles just fly him to the end of the race???
lol. Too funny. Might tweet him something like that.

and done. not sure he'll respond. i wrote -'why would you run a marathon when you could get gandalf to summon a giant eagle to take you to almost the end.'
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Make sure you use the "Frodo's gay sidekick" line, too. That's a slice of fried gold.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

rass wrote:Make sure you use the "Frodo's gay sidekick" line, too. That's a slice of fried gold.
Yeah, but i'd like a chance of him responding. the only thing he tweets about is running, don't know why i still follow him, he's not the hobbit i thought he was.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

garyclark wrote:I'm not happy that I'm literally a couple of blocks outside the area where they just finished doing a house-by-house search, and this guy is fleeing by foot ... Just sayin'.
Doesn't Ed Romero live in Watertown? Anyone heard from him? As a Boston resident, I thought the discussion between Howard and AB/Nonlinear earlier in this thread about whether locking down the entire area was an overreaction was interesting. I have mixed feelings. I think the MBTA shutdown and driving ban in Watertown made sense, as that made it a lot harder for Tsarnaev to elude the police. But I'm not sure the broader, region-wide shutdown was necessary. The economic costs of having basically every business in Boston closed for a day are substantial, and I also worry about the psychological implications on the region--and nation as a whole--of taking such drastic measures. This was obviously a very tragic and difficult week for Boston, but I think it's problematic to have the specter of terrorism play as large a role in the shaping of U.S. policy as it has for the last 12 years. The Miranda issue was discussed earlier in this thread, and I'm sure that there will be other attempts to use these events to justify restrictions on immigration and civil liberties. I've already seen elected officials call for Tsarnaev to be tortured and/or denied counsel. I wish I could say that I have confidence in Obama not to overreact, but frankly, I don't.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

Agree, mostly.

Wondering how much of the MBTA shutdown was for them to sweep for more devices. They found one in a T station, right?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Was this live on NESN today? If so, nice.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I didn't see it John, but the FCC did have a ruling "It's ok, due to him speaking with emotion" so I think that's a yes on the broadcast.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

It was live. NESN also did not apologize when they came back from break as networks often do.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

OMFG, guys. Glenn Beck is about to tearfully break this story wide fucking open! He has given Obama an ultimatum. To come clean to the American People about what really happened, or he will on his show on Monday! The only Beck didn't already tell us is that he thinks we should hear it from Obama directly. Apparently the Saudi kid who was initially questioned then later deported is really involved somehow, and Beck knows how and why. And it is bad, bad, bad. The future of humanity rests on Glenn informing us on Monday, and the world as we know it is going to dramatically change.

My prediction, Glenn hopes that since the story resolved, we forget about his big, big claim, and he pretends he never said this.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Let's see . . . I posted this about, what, 40-hours ago? viewtopic.php?p=6402#p6402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Typical Glenn Beck douchebaggery.

"I heard something about you!"
"Ummm . . . what???"
"Nah-uh! Not telling!"
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Dude, your Irish-looking Mexican fighter is dealing on Showtime. Tune in if you can.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Sweet. Got it! Thanks!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:
I hate this fucking bullshit so much.

Fuck Lindsay Graham up the fucking peehole with a rolled-up glossy of Ernesto Miranda. And make him choke of a copy of the Bill of Rights if he squawks.
I'm fine with then not giving Miranda warnings immediately. The Constitution does not guarantee Miranda warnings. The Constitution guarantees a right to due process of law. Given the fact that one of the brothers was overseas for six months only a short time before carrying out a bombing meant to cause mass civilian casualties, I am okay with the feds taking some time to figure out whether there is any useful intelligence from these guys before advising them to lawyer up.

That said, Lindsey Graham's suggestion of "enemy combatant" status is horrific. Tsarnaev is a civilian who committed murder and attempted murder, and assault with a deadly weapon, and use of a terroristic device to cause grievous bodily harm. Those are crimes that can all be prosecuted under civilian law.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was too pissed off to be coherent when I posted that.

I too am fine about not giving a Miranda warning, immediately or later. Because cops do this literally every day. There is no law requiring a Miranda warning--the law excludes certain (nearly all?) statements made by a person in custody from being used in court if obtained prior to mirandization. This is why cops do this every day; to extract info from dumb criminals to solve crimes or catch accomplices, knowing they are trading off the courtroom exclusion of the words they extract.

Miranda rights are more sideshow than substance in this case.

However, Mr. Senator Lindsey Fucking Graham is what sent me into a tizzy. That is the bullshit I fucking hate. Along with the use of the Miranda thing as a sideshow. "Look at how fucking tough we are on this terrorrist--we're not going to tell him he has the right to a lawyer! How about a big cheer for us?"

ETA: I just read greenwald's ripping of this issue to shreads

What rights should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get and why does it matter?

The Obama DOJ says it intends to question the Boston bombing suspect "extensively" without first Mirandizing him

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This columnist touched on nearly every bit of ridiculousness of the last week (except the triumphant cheering).

How Boston exposes America’s dark post-9/11 bargain
Why did this story drive the whole country nuts? Because we traded rights for "security," and didn't get either

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:However, Mr. Senator Lindsey Fucking Graham is what sent me into a tizzy. That is the bullshit I fucking hate. Along with the use of the Miranda thing as a sideshow. "Look at how fucking tough we are on this terrorrist--we're not going to tell him he has the right to a lawyer! How about a big cheer for us?"
I agree. And this is something I run through in my mind when people say that Obama is "just as bad as Bush" when it comes to civil liberties.

Bush would have had this guy flown to Guantanamo by now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hey, I don't ever say Obama is just as bad as Bush.

I always say he is worse!

(just fuckin' wit ya)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I found this hilarious, as well as insightful.

How To Spot A Chechen

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

howard wrote:This columnist touched on nearly every bit of ridiculousness of the last week (except the triumphant cheering).

How Boston exposes America’s dark post-9/11 bargain
Why did this story drive the whole country nuts? Because we traded rights for "security," and didn't get either
That's a great article. I've never really understood why people are so opposed to trying terrorism suspects in federal courts. Federal prosecutors have a ridiculously high conviction rate and as Steve mentioned, there are many federal crimes that Tsarnaev can be convicted of for which the punishment is at least life imprisonment. Locking Tsarnaev up in Gitmo and torturing him might make Lindsey Graham and Peter King feel like tough guys, but I don't see how it in any way makes this country safer.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

If we're going to designate anyone an enemy combatant, let's start with the owners of that fertilizer plant in Texas. They killed more people than the Tsarnaevs.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Y'know, one thing that never even occurred to me to check (and in light of the attack, few likely did) was who actually won the race.

Men:

1. Lelisa Desisa (Ethiopia) 2:10:22
2. Micah Kogo (Kenya) 2:10:27
3. Gebregziabher Gebremariam (Ethiopia) 2:10:28

And Gebregziabher Gebremariam is just a fantastic name. Unless you're an announcer, I suppose.

Women:

1. Rita Jeptoo (Kenya) 2:26:25
2. Meseret Hailu (Ethiopia) 2:26:58
3. Sharon Cherop (Kenya) 2:27:01

Given the weather, those are some excellent times, right there. The men's final stretch was superb running; the final pack was tremendous.

Eerie thing, perhaps, is that the race started with a 26-second tribute of silence for the Sandy Hook victims. Coincidentally, one for each mile about to be run.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

It's as though a bomb had dropped somewhere.

mini puke to 1,558
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Scottie wrote:And Gebregziabher Gebremariam is just a fantastic name.
And we come full circle (prior to the ETA)

TWILTFS

(drops keyboard, raises arms, struts off stage)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote:(drops keyboard, raises arms, struts off stage)
Goodnight Springton!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scottie wrote:And Gebregziabher Gebremariam is just a fantastic name. Unless you're an announcer, I suppose.
I don't mean to rip the scab off here, but I have to ask you something. We you aware at the time you posted this (perhaps someone let you know since) that Turd started this thread well before the bombings, with the apparent sole purpose of noting some of the "fantastic" names of the runners in the race?

ETA: Dammit howard.

Anyway, I've been working under the assumption that you did not realize that was the case.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

rass wrote:
Scottie wrote:And Gebregziabher Gebremariam is just a fantastic name. Unless you're an announcer, I suppose.
I don't mean to rip the scab off here, but I have to ask you something. We you aware . . .
Uh . . . yeah. Aaaaaaand are you aware of such ideas as sarcasm? Irony? Playing around? Not taking that which is not serious so seriously? And so on? Fun on The Swamp. Remember that?

Or did you think, what, exactly?

I've spoken with many people over the last week. All of those conversations were, as usual, good-natured, amiable, adult, constructive, all toward the best ongoing interests of the forum. Mind you, I haven't spoken with you.

But, really, just, c'mon. Let it go. And in case you haven't noticed, the game plan from day one came true exactly as planned. Exactly as planned, as promised, as delivered.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So if bought the Barstool Sports shirt "This Is Our Fucking City" where all proceeds go to marathon victims, it's still a douchey Masshole move, right?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey, no one has more fun here than me. I'll PM you.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

There's nothing new about what Barstoolsports is doing, not at all. It's "branding a disaster". And these are the guys that slapped their URL over a piece of home video that showed two terrorists fighting it out with the cops; classy move that, don't you think?

That site doesn't say "all proceeds" it just says "proceeds will go to...". So you give money to them, "get" to wear their advertising, so they can in turn donate some of that cash to a cause of their choosing in the city (for maximum publicity, doubtlessly), for which they will get full credit, not you, so they look like the caring community philanthropists (which is yet more self-serving cynical advertising).

I avoid that shit like the plague.

There are many organizations that need assistance. Clinics, Emergency Social Services (which is seriously underfunded), those personally affected, the families, on and on and on. These are the people that truly need their community's citizens to step up.

Two types of people donate in times of crises. Those who quietly and directly do so because they are decent people who simply give a damn. And then there is the type that want a t-shirt that proclaims to the world "Look at me! I donated! Me! Me! Look at how awesome I am!"

At the bottom of all that are the people who sell those t-shirts, who frame tragedy as an opportunity.

Anyone wishing to aid those in need should know that they can do so directly. I find what Barstoolsports is doing to be completely deplorable, hiding behind social benevolence to further their own business. Your mileage may vary.