MJD

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

MJD

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Not sure why this popped into my head this morning, but what the hell happened to the Mighty MJD? I was never actually a fan, but 5-8 years ago it seemed like everybody was always talking about him. I'd constantly hear people referring to his work, be it in the Swamp or in "real" life. He then crossed over to the dreaded mainstream and ended up at Yahoo for awhile before sucking and then disappearing. Google tells me that he is back blogging at his original website, but I never, ever hear anybody talking about him. I had completely forgotten about him until this morning. It seems like he went from a guy who was quite popular to being completely irrelevant. Those of you were were/are regular readers, how do you explain what happened? Was it just that he was originally doing something that was original (apologies for that sentence), and now everybody is doing it? Or was he never that talented in the first place?

* In hindsight, this probably didn't warrant its own thread.
Popin' ain't easy
Shirley
The Dude

Re: MJD

Post by Shirley »

I'm guessing it's just time and money. Blogging well takes a lot of time and rarely pays good money.

He was a very good writer, but it's just too hard to keep it up unless you can turn it into a full-time job. And few are able to do that. Judging by the post frequency on his site - about every two weeks or so - he's got other shit going on in his life.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think Yahoo killed him. He actually attracted a fairly erudite audience and when he went to Yahoo and he had to keep it rated PG and you went into the comment section and it was just loaded with complete fucking idiots. Sometimes on blogs, I like reading the comments just as much as the article. Shitty commenters will kill you.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I posted a response and it didn't make sense, and now I'm not sure how I should edit it without not making sense and saying something I shouldn't.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Brontoburglar wrote:I posted a response and it didn't make sense, and now I'm not sure how I should edit it without not making sense and saying something I shouldn't.
You were going to slag the NRA again, weren't you?
Popin' ain't easy
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:I posted a response and it didn't make sense, and now I'm not sure how I should edit it without not making sense and saying something I shouldn't.
Just post it as is, and let us judge you.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

sancarlos wrote:

Word.
Popin' ain't easy
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, that's pretty much the way we've always stuttered through our turgid existence.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So, so Bronto.

He brought the smorgasboard back to KSK for a while this past season.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

In case folks forgot, he started off here in The Swamp, back when the "The Front Page" was real. And he liked it. And then one day he figured he could start his own blog. And did a damn fine job of it.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

garyclark wrote:In case folks forgot, he started off here in The Swamp, back when the "The Front Page" was real. And he liked it. And then one day he figured he could start his own blog. And did a damn fine job of it.
Wow, I was not aware of that.
Popin' ain't easy
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, me neither. I do remember him showing up in the Swamp a handful of times.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I remember when Brooshkin bitched about us in the comments of an MJD blog post, and MJD defended the Swamp nicely.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

He was a lurker more than poster in the Swamp. But one time he posted about that after he became quite popular. It surprised me at the time as well.

Googled in. Didn't find it. But I did find this, which is pretty awesome: http://www.redreporter.com/2005/12/20/212254/34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

Word.
Nah, it's not the Swamp.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He's still around. I follow him on twitter.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

His Twitter handle is @themightymjd.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think that style of blog just doesn't really play anymore. It was so 2004. Same goes for the Swamp's old front page.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse