NBA Playoffs 2015

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: NBA Playoffs 2015

Post by howard »

no argument here.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
joeyclams
Maude Lebowski

Post by joeyclams »

TT2.0 wrote:time for a little mini rant about last nights game. Even though Houston won, i feel like Golden State cheated. It was obvious to anybody with eyes that Curry had a concussion, and the team doctors lied about it to let him play. The rules and procedures clearly state he shouldn't be allowed back on the court, and they played him anyway. He was so messed up that he airballed his first shot by 4 feet, and threw 3 straight bad passes. There should've been an independant medical evaluation, and he should have had to sit until he cleared the tests. You can't honestly tell me after that fall and how he was acting that there was no concussion. It was a bullshit attempt to try and put us away in game 4, and fortunately it didn't work. The league should fine Golden State, and Curry shouldn't play until he is fit to.
Agreed. Until all leagues have independent evaluations by doctors, this will continue to happen. At the expense of the players. I was shocked when I saw him running in the hall by the locker rooms.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Reggie miller just said that the peer pressure kyrie is feeling is from himself.

Wtf. Who is the number one team? Surely not these yahoos for the finals.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

In basketball you can see the concussion symptoms clearly, at least if you're a player who will get the ball in your hands. No hiding what happened out there. It seems to me that the NBA is playing with fire from a legal point of view.

How is Dellavadova still alive? Has the league gotten this soft? Are there no enforcers left? In the absence of Oakley, Mahorn, and Maurice Lucas, I'm actually surprised the commissioner's office has not brought him in for a little talk on the subject of 12 month suspensions based on post-game tape reviews (as he seems to get past the game refs). He's a risk to the players who sell the tickets.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

At least the NBA got it right by not suspending Dwight. He's got to stop responding because the next tech or flagrant is an automatic suspension. Of course, if that's not really a concern in the 4th quarter tonight, I'd love to see him respond for real.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I know Love has a more advanced skill set, but I can't be the only one that thinks that Mozgov fits the Cavs better, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote:I know Love has a more advanced skill set, but I can't be the only one that thinks that Mozgov fits the Cavs better, right?

They don't play the same position. When they were playing together and thompson was coming off the bench it was an elite unit with both on the floor. It just so happened that the two series that have happened since love went down the two bigs were actually probably the best lineup choice to control the boards, especially on offense. Love is the Stretch four and doesn't get a lot of offensive rebounds because he's asked to be available on the perimeter. Thompson can't do that, so the Cavs jiggered the lineup to take advantage of those skills - and it just happened that the teams they were playing had rebounding issues.

They won't play as much together against the Dubs (they probably would play a lot against the Rockets) together because the Cavs will need Shumpert and Smith on the floor to chase shooters. Not sure how the Cavs will hide Irving against the warriors.

But it all comes down to Lebron James and can the Cavs steal one of the first two games to give the western team tight butthole time. The warriors are equipped to defend Lebron straight up with Green. But Lebron is in full fuck you Jobu mode so I think all bets are off if the series opens up 1-1.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

L-Jam3 wrote:I know Love has a more advanced skill set, but I can't be the only one that thinks that Mozgov fits the Cavs better, right?
I think it's more like the version of Thompson we've seen in the playoffs fits better.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

LeBron is so good he makes Jerloma forget he's Agnostic.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Please. The Holy Ghost can do that with either hand.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Giff wrote:At least the NBA got it right by not suspending Dwight. He's got to stop responding because the next tech or flagrant is an automatic suspension. Of course, if that's not really a concern in the 4th quarter tonight, I'd love to see him respond for real.
This is where you need Mahorn rather than Josh Smith as a sidekick. He might miss the first week next season. Too high a price to pay for seeing Dellavadova scattered across the floor?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

AB_skin_test wrote:But it all comes down to Lebron James and can the Cavs steal one of the first two games to give the western team tight butthole time. The warriors are equipped to defend Lebron straight up with Green. But Lebron is in full fuck you Jobu mode so I think all bets are off if the series opens up 1-1.
How well can Iguadola defend James? Too, Harrison Barnes has the right size and quickness combination, and I've seen him defend.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DC47 wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:But it all comes down to Lebron James and can the Cavs steal one of the first two games to give the western team tight butthole time. The warriors are equipped to defend Lebron straight up with Green. But Lebron is in full fuck you Jobu mode so I think all bets are off if the series opens up 1-1.
How well can Iguadola defend James? Too, Harrison Barnes has the right size and quickness combination, and I've seen him defend.

They'll do it on some switches for sure, but it's going to be Green's main responsibility. They'll have to control the roll to the basket form Thompson, but Bogut is a great interior defender and they'll be looking to shut that down. The cavs will definitely need to be hitting threes to keep it close.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

James plays long minutes. I wonder if Green can do that while defending him? Also, whether he'll pick up fouls that will take him off the court or off this assignment. I imagine Kerr must be thinking about who will check James for 10-20 minutes, even if he really likes Green for that job.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:Please. The Holy Ghost can do that with either hand.

My all time favourite Onion article.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:
Giff wrote:At least the NBA got it right by not suspending Dwight. He's got to stop responding because the next tech or flagrant is an automatic suspension. Of course, if that's not really a concern in the 4th quarter tonight, I'd love to see him respond for real.
This is where you need Mahorn rather than Josh Smith as a sidekick. He might miss the first week next season. Too high a price to pay for seeing Dellavadova scattered across the floor?

I believe last night was the anniversary of the Chief hammering Lambier in the head.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rush2112 wrote:Image
The Trinity would have kicked The Big Three's collective posteriors. God and Jesus can obviously ball. But the Holy Spirit is seriously under-rated.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DC47 wrote:
The fuck is Joey Dorsey doing sitting on the bench?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:Reggie miller just said that the peer pressure kyrie is feeling is from himself.

ESPN has the Finals
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Reggie miller just said that the peer pressure kyrie is feeling is from himself.

ESPN has the Finals
So, Mark Jackson openly rooting for the Cavs and Jeff Van Gundy openly rooting for the coaches.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... in-At-No-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hello darkness my old friend
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Dubs shoot 18% in the first quarter. I think the Blackhawks are shooting a higher percentage. But I think a few will drop.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Klay is feeling it. 13 points in the second quarter. Six minutes remain in the period.

eta: hasn't hit since, 2:50 remains in period, I thought my hexes only worked in baseball.

One of my boys back home posted this today:
I went to a before-work Jim Barnett talk (ex-Warrior and Knick, color analyst for the Dubs) this AM. In response to some questions, here are some of the highlights:

1. Barnett still has axe to grind w/ Mark Jackson for shutting out most of the Warriors organization during his coaching tenure (though even Barnett said he did good job w/ team)

2. He's tight w/ Ron Adams (lead defense assistant coach). Adams says Kuzmic, the 7' Euro that the Dubs stashed in Santa Cruz will turn into a NBA contributor (you heard it here first)

3. Absolutely killed Dwight Howard. Says he really hasn't improved in the 8 yrs in the League. Says Howard travels every time he gets the ball in the paint to regain his balance (horrible footwork and a bad FT shooter)

4. Similarly, he "crushed" Josh Smith--- a 17% 3 point shooter through the playoffs before he went off in 1Q of Game 4.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

OK, I'll say it...kids on the podium annoy the shit out of me. On the court after the game celebrating? No problem. On the podium during interviews? No thanks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I didn't think anyone but cranky old sports writers took post game interviews that seriously.

howard?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Not this cranky old former sports writer. Last one I took seriously involved Angelo Dundee about five years ago, (who I hadn't realized was still alive,) only cuz I got to ask him a question.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:OK, I'll say it...kids on the podium annoy the shit out of me. On the court after the game celebrating? No problem. On the podium during interviews? No thanks.
Dude, I just came to say the same thing. It reminds me of the people who are always shoving their kids up your ass with their stupid kid tricks and you have to give them your undivided attention. Nobody cares about your kids, people!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So no fucking way should Klay Thompson been back out on the court that quickly. Do not take this as a poor loser whining, the Warriors were going to win with or without him last night. I'll be rooting them on in the Finals. But that was a joke.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Curry at least had the presence of mind to deny concussive symptoms in the post-game interview. Doris Burke asked Steph what he remembered about his fall; he quickly and mildly derisively answered, "oh I remember everything."

Klay, otoh when asked how he felt, admitted to being a little dizzy; his facial expression indicated to me he immediately recognized his error.

Yes, this was some bullshit. What am I gonna say? It was bullshit when Bonds was hitting all those home runs too, on behalf of my rooting interest. Ain't gonna deny the obvious (what, am I from Boston?)

eta: The use of the term 'concussion-like symptoms' being widely used in the Bay Area media is yet another example of the divorce between facts and journalism, enabled by 1984-esque manipulation of language.

Funny how Ariza was in the middle of both these injuries, yet imo bears zero blame, just basketball plays that happened. The funny part is in contrast to Dellavadova, who bears tons of blame for his intentional acts.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:Not this cranky old former sports writer. Last one I took seriously involved Angelo Dundee about five years ago, (who I hadn't realized was still alive,) only cuz I got to ask him a question.
"Angelo, still alive?"
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:eta: The use of the term 'concussion-like symptoms' being widely used in the Bay Area media is yet another example of the divorce between facts and journalism, enabled by 1984-esque manipulation of language.
Brain damage don't sell no product.

I wonder if they'll go to something like soccer head gear if NBA stars begin to retire due to cumulative brain injury?

Right now I don't think there's much public awareness of this. But there have to be some guys out there who have taken quite a few bad hits to the head in 20 years of playing serious basketball.