Cicadas

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Cicadas

Post by Jerloma »

Help me out here...the cicadas are supposed to invade once every 17 years and this is happening within the next few weeks, correct? Didn't we have a long thread in the Swamp maybe 6 or 7 years ago the last time the cicadas came?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Cicadas

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Help me out here...the cicadas are supposed to invade once every 17 years and this is happening within the next few weeks, correct? Didn't we have a long thread in the Swamp maybe 6 or 7 years ago the last time the cicadas came?
There are different types with varying life cycles. Apparently 2004 was a big cicada year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There are different broods that emerge at different intervals (always prime numbers of years, I believe). There will be some cicadas every year, but in some years you get a LOT. I think the 17-year brood that emerges this year is a particularly large one.
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

There's dozens, if not hundreds, of different types. In South Korea, they were there almost year-round. And loud? As if South Korea wasn't loud enough (it's like being shrunk with a ray gun and being forced to live inside of a pinball machine), you get millions of those things in the trees all making the same friggin' sound at the same time.

Imagine this amplified by a million:

[media]http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meri ... ltered.mp3[/media]
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I remember going to the CIncinnati Zoo one time when the cicadas were out in full force. MADDENING.

And usually the birds have a good year the year after a cicada emergence due to the abundance of food.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't recall them ever. I don't think we get them in the northeast.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I don't recall them ever. I don't think we get them in the northeast.
I remember a particularly horrible year in DC, maybe 2004.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I've read estimates that there will be 30 billion of the fuckers invading the East sometime this week.

Then I read, "no, no, those numbers are wrong. It's more like 1 trillion cicadas are coming. It'll be wall-to-wall."

Makes it very difficult, given that I believe everything I read.
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Yeah, you get them in the northeast. They show up in Nova Scotia, all the way to Cape Breton. If you've never been inflicted with them, count yourself lucky. They're about to proliferate the entire east coast. Have a look at the map in this story.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

kranepool wrote:I've read estimates that there will be 30 billion of the fuckers invading the East sometime this week.

Then I read, "no, no, those numbers are wrong. It's more like 1 trillion cicadas are coming. It'll be wall-to-wall."

Both numbers are 100% accurate.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I can't stand these fucking things.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

kranepool wrote:I've read estimates that there will be 30 billion of the fuckers invading the East sometime this week.

They were wall to wall back in Chicago in 1990-ish. They would totally cover a screen door, and you would crush them as you walked.

Ick.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

bfj wrote:I can't stand these fucking things.
They were everywhere back in 2004. I was living near Patterson Park back then and we didn't have them bad at all down there, but at my office in Towson, you couldn't hear yourself think they were so loud. I thought it sounded like something out of a horror movie right before some horrible monster killed his victims.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

So, what exactly is their annoyance level? is it just the loudness and everywhereness, or do they actually buzz around your head, or land on or bite people or anything?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

travzilla wrote:So, what exactly is their annoyance level? is it just the loudness and everywhereness, or do they actually buzz around your head, or land on or bite people or anything?
They are loud, they are everywhere, they can buzz around you and land on you. But they don't bite. They're just very large insects that make a ton of noise, and it annoys people. Imagine everyone around you blowing a vuvuzela all day, every day for a couple of weeks.

But they reportedly are very nutritious and taste like asparagus.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

We definitely get them on Long Island, though I don't recall any horror story similarities. I mean, you see 'em and hear them, but not covering every inch of everything, or so loud you can't think.

The only time I recall a bug infestation of that scale was the Gypsy Moth caterpillar invasion back in the early 80's. It wasn't so bad on LI, but you'd go upstate and they were fucking everywhere. You'd walk outside for 5 minutes and have 30 on your pants leg. Totally freaked me out.

When my moms had her pool installed the dig fucked up a shitload of cicadas buried under a pine tree. There was at least a thousand half-inch wide holes in the dirt, perfect little circles. It was kind of mind blowing.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

2004...may 2004.. DC/MD area... wedding... my father in law spent the morning clearing away the cicada carpet in the yard as my then-future-wife had a thing about walking out to the rolls in her gown and not wanting any of hte critters on her.

i seem to remember in mid 80s in hs..there was some cicada-eating contest going on at lunchtime.

cant wait to see the little critters again.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

They're just a nuisance, not anything nefarious.

And unlike the fucking stink bugs that have infested the mid-atlantic, at least cicadas die off and don't seem to want to be up in your business (house). Stink bugs suck because they want to be warm, so they find their way into your house.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw the first ones this morning. Four or five shells, plus a freshly molted bug (see below), all on one telephone pole. Despite actively looking afterwards, those were the only ones I saw. Maybe they're attracted to dog piss?

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

17-year olds loitering around the streets have always been a nuisance.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I think they come out when the ground temperature is 64 degrees.

I could be completely making this up.

But yeah, makes sense that it's time. I'm not going outside until late October.
mini puke to 1,558
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Saw the first ones this morning. Four or five shells, plus a freshly molted bug (see below), all on one telephone pole. Despite actively looking afterwards, those were the only ones I saw. Maybe they're attracted to dog piss?

Walking to the bus stop this morning, my son pointed out a cicada husk. I never would have noticed it among the massive piles of pollen on the ground. Then we saw at least 20 more. They are a lot bigger than I would have expected.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The cicadas emerged a week ago. Now, they're so loud it sounds like there are 20 police cars with their sirens on.

For the hell of it, I bought an app for my phone to measure decibel readings. I measured the sound in three spots: A storage closet along an interior wall where there's almost no sound, my office (which is near the closet but along the outside wall) and outside on my back patio. Here are the average readings:

Storage closet: 35 dB
Office: 39 dB
Back patio: 70 dB

It's astounding how much noise these damn things make.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I bet that's loud enough to scare away a lot of birds.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Do they keep the dogs away?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hmm, according to this he should have had another hit in 2009.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

duff wrote:Do they keep the dogs away?
Unfortunately not. Although the cicadas' sound does somewhat mute the barking and shrieking yells of my neighbor.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm pretty late posting this:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote:The cicadas emerged a week ago. Now, they're so loud it sounds like there are 20 police cars with their sirens on.

For the hell of it, I bought an app for my phone to measure decibel readings. I measured the sound in three spots: A storage closet along an interior wall where there's almost no sound, my office (which is near the closet but along the outside wall) and outside on my back patio. Here are the average readings:

Storage closet: 35 dB
Office: 39 dB
Back patio: 70 dB

It's astounding how much noise these damn things make.
Wow. If you're getting only a 50% reduction (presuming dB readings aren't on a richter-type scale (?), then the call may be coming from inside the house!

What app?
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote:Wow. If you're getting only a 50% reduction (presuming dB readings aren't on a richter-type scale (?), then the call may be coming from inside the house!

What app?
dB Meter from the iOS store.

According to Wikipedia, the decibel is a logarithmic unit, and an increase in 10 decibels means the sound is increased by a factor of 10. So, that means the outside sounds were about 1,500 times louder than inside. I think. I'm probably wrong because I suck at math.