Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by That French Guy »

Rush2112 wrote:I'd suspect a mile radius around the Eiffel Tower is #3
It s not that annoying to locals, because it s stuck between the Seine and a huge park and most people who are near it are just tourists.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Possible (or probable) controversial opinion that's been brewing in my mind: was Frank Sinatra actually kind of a shitty singer? Not in terms of his vocal talent, which was obviously superb, but in his style of singing--just strikes me as lazy and unfocused, pissing away any semblance of melody the song would have had as written.

All the mentions of the "blue moon" from a few days ago got me thinking of the song of the same name and its various incarnations. Listen first to this version by the Marcels. This is a proper song. These dudes are not fucking around. Brilliant, precise execution, a Brandenburg Concerto with pomade.

Now listen to Sinatra's. This is barely even a song--just a guy with a good voice saying the lyrics at his own pace.

Sinatra seems to appeal to people who like the idea of hanging around in clubs being a big shot more than they actually like music. Though maybe that's the point.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I have a series of consecutive meetings today from 10 am to 9 pm. Welcome back from vacation!
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:I have a series of consecutive meetings today from 10 am to 9 pm. Welcome back from vacation!
It's a holiday in Canada today.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If you were a cop and you picked up Taco Bell only to find that when you got home and opened the bag, one of the employees had written "PIG" on the taco wrappers, would you then still eat the tacos?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:If you were a cop and you picked up Taco Bell only to find that when you got home and opened the bag, one of the employees had written "PIG" on the taco wrappers, would you then still eat the tacos?
If it was carnitas.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

brian wrote:Midtown Manhattan and the Las Vegas Strip have to be the two capitals of morons walking around aimlessly not paying attention and I doubt whatever #3 is isn't even close.
Could be worse. In LA we drive around aimlessly not paying attention.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I hope everyone appreciates my restraint in not creating a "Getting the Len Out" thread.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

rass wrote:I hope everyone appreciates my restraint in not creating a "Getting the Len Out" thread.
Hey!

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If I don't get picked up for an assignment with the veritable murderer's row overseas list right now, I'll be extremely sad.

It would be another scoop of ice cream on this shit sundae and guarantee my coming back to America. And probably to a horrible base.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hey, Syria ain't gonna bomb itself.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd think that Edwards Air Force base in Barstow, California might be a worse location than some of not-so-nice global options.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:I'd think that Edwards Air Force base in Barstow, California might be a worse location than some of not-so-nice global options.
Edwards is north of LA though I agree being stationed in Barstow would suck. Edwards probably wouldn't be the worst base stateside for Johnnie because at least they do some pretty cool shit there (space shit!) and it's relatively close to a decent sized city (understatement).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Worst bases by a mile: Cannon AFB, New Mexico. Minot AFB, North Dakota.

This list is rather suspect because they take into account a "whole base" concept: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20 ... ses-airmen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have a minute, look at this map of all the active duty bases: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... lities.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Note: I cannot go to all of them. If you have a question about one, ask me.)

Of course there is always personal preference and subjectivity. I don't want a base in the central or east coast time zone (except maybe Scott AFB, IL or any base in Florida) and I sure as shit don't want to live in Wyoming, South Dakota, or North Dakota. So I have a short list and basically everything else is "garbage" in my opinion.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:Cannon AFB, New Mexico
Only a three hour drive to Santa Fe!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What would the odds of Nellis be? Pretty slim I'd imagine?
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

If you must go CONUS, go to El Segundo.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:I'd think that Edwards Air Force base in Barstow, California might be a worse location than some of not-so-nice global options.
Edwards is north of LA though I agree being stationed in Barstow would suck. Edwards probably wouldn't be the worst base stateside for Johnnie because at least they do some pretty cool shit there (space shit!) and it's relatively close to a decent sized city (understatement).
I have family in Lancaster and Palmdale -- stay away from Edwards. That area is a hell hole.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Keg wrote:
brian wrote:
I have family in Lancaster and Palmdale -- stay away from Edwards. That area is a hell hole.
Yup. My buddy who separated a couple years ago ended up there. He ended up getting a DUI and wasn't allowed to re-enlist.

Also, the behemoth of getting orders to a particular base at a particular time is tough to explain in non-military terms, but I'll try.

So the overseas mandatory returnee list is what drives how orders are given out. Now there are exceptions: brand new individuals to the Air Force, retrainees, joint-spouse arrangements, medical special exemptions (for military member or family member), and retirements. Each of these has protocols and rules and special exemptions and etc etc..

Now, all things being equal, let's just talk what typically happens. Being overseas, I am tied to a finite period of time for being here. This is capped by what's known as a DEROS (date estimated to return from overseas). I have to be out of here in February (unless something drastic happens). Also, extrapolate this to my entire career field of which many people are stationed in many places. If you're overseas (including Hawaii and Alaska bases), you are tied to this DEROS. So, many months in advance and every quarter throughout the calendar year, assignments are posted for bases opening because people on a DEROS are leaving that base. Now, there is an order of operations as to who gets priority for these assignment. People on a short tour (less than 18 months) get top priority, followed by people at long tour (greater than 18 months), followed by people stateside. (That's the gist, but it breaks down even further with things like who has been on their station longer, etc.) So...let's say a particular assignment in a particular cycle gets handed to a person from a stateside base, now that person's position at the base he/she is leaving will be on the mandatory returnee list at a point in the future once that member leaves. And whoever falls into that cycle returning from overseas while that person is going out will have that base to select from.

So, basically, a Technical Sergeant (my rank) would have to be picked up for an overseas assignment and be reporting to that overseas assignment at a time when I am leaving my base in returning stateside. You see where this is nothing more than a crapshoot. I'd have to hope that a TSgt from a desired base (like Nellis, actually) gets selected to go overseas and be reporting around when I leave Germany.

The guy I replaced was leaving in January of 2014. He had three bases to select from: Vance AFB, Oklahoma, Cannon AFB, NM, or Andrews AFB, Maryland. There were no other options. He absolutely had to get one of those bases. 3 people from overseas were returning and 3 people from those bases we leaving to go overseas.

Which makes me hope like fuck I get one of these overseas assignments. Korea, Japan, and Hawaii are better than any base I'd have to be forced to move to in the States -- especially in considering I have no idea who gets selected from whatever base to move overseas until the returnee list comes out.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Keg wrote:If you must go CONUS, go to El Segundo.
Are wallet chains acceptable part of the Air Force uniform?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Which makes me hope like fuck I get one of these overseas assignments. Korea, Japan, and Hawaii are better than any base I'd have to be forced to move to in the States -- especially in considering I have no idea who gets selected from whatever base to move overseas until the returnee list comes out.
Fingers are crossed tightly for you.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

WYO wouldn't be thaaaaaat bad. Only a tad over an hour to Denver.

ND and SD do suck. (sorry Sports Doc)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, you got two bases possible in Las Vegas at least. (Creech isn't that bad or so I'm told. It's no Nellis or anything, but I have a buddy who works there. The commute from Las Vegas isn't optimal, but if you live in the northwest part of town where I do it's only a half hour each way.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:If you have a minute, look at this map of all the active duty bases: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... lities.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Note: I cannot go to all of them. If you have a question about one, ask me.)

I don't want a base in the central or east coast time zone (except maybe Scott AFB, IL or any base in Florida).
Yeah, don't go to Hancock. Only assholes live in Syracuse.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What about Travis or Beale, in norcal?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've actually been to Travis. That area (Fairfield/Vallejo) is kind of a shithole. I know it's close to your old stomping grounds, but Fairfield and Davis couldn't be any more different.

(And the base itself kinda sucks compared to some of the more recently renovated or bigger bases, though it's been like almost 10 years since I was there so it could have been spruced up by now.)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Calling Fairfield/Suisun/Vallejo a shithole is hardly gonna insult me. And it had a bit of quaintness back in my youth; now it is just suburban crap. The differences between Davis and the rest of the valley are a source of provincial pride for me. But Fairfield is less than an hour from downtown SF.

Davis is an easy commute, to Travis or Beale. And I've got a house to rent. I don't know if Johnnie would dig Davis, too hippie/crunchy granola for him.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:Calling Fairfield/Suisun/Vallejo a shithole is hardly gonna insult me. And it had a bit of quaintness back in my youth; now it is just suburban crap. The differences between Davis and the rest of the valley are a source of provincial pride for me. But Fairfield is less than an hour from downtown SF.

Davis is an easy commute, to Travis or Beale. And I've got a house to rent. I don't know if Johnnie would dig Davis, too hippie/crunchy granola for him.
Though I'll bet they have all kinds of Crossfit gyms!

Davis is awesome, but probably way more expensive than the rest of that region. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd bet you're paying a 25 percent or more premium on housing there versus Fairfield. Whatever COLA adjustment he gets for NorCal is still going to make that a tough nut, though all that said if I got stationed at Travis, I'd pay it. Davis is worth it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hancock is an Air National Guard base, so I can't go there.

I too have a friend at Creech. He was here up until March of this year. DJs on the side and is making lots of connections in Las Vegas. For a time Creech was a "stateside remote" tour and you got paid extra money for being stationed there. Not so much anymore, however. They've dumped lots of money and resources into it so that extra pay went away.

I'd love to be stationed at Travis. Yes, CrossFit central (my buddy is a coach up there) and a great location. But a huge no on Beale. Base is out in the boonies and is just existing to prop up a home for the U2.

Also, when stationed stateside, you don't get COLA. That's only for overseas assignments to adjust for equalizing pay due to currency rates. You'll just get housing allowance. And here's a handy, dandy Basic Allowance for Housing calculator:

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without dependents at Travis, I'd get $1728 tax free dollars for the explicit purpose of paying rent on a house.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

But your housing allowance is dependent on where you're stationed right? (I can't look at the link right now.) I mean that would be some bullshit if it wasn't. $1700/mo. probably gets you a shack in Davis.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What's the best Talking Heads song? Psycho Killer?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jerloma wrote:What's the best Talking Heads song? Psycho Killer?
Crosseyed and Painless
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Giff wrote:
Crosseyed and Painless
Listening now. Fun jam.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They're my answer for "band you wish you could've seen live".
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My fav is still Take Me To The River. But I think the best tune is Once in a Lifetime. Same as it ever was.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Remain in Light is a phenomenal album.

Giff check out if This Must Be A Band ever comes near you. While a tribute band they put on a great great show.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So many...

The Great Curve

Naive Melody

Found A Job

What A Day That Was

The Big Country

I could do this all day.

And Remain In Light is still the greatest album I have ever heard. I have owned it on lp, cd and as a digital download.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ah, The Big Country. Love that one. Goo-goo ga ga ga. Gonna go play that vinyl disc right now.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:Ah, Big Country. Love that one. Goo-goo ga ga ga. Gonna go play that vinyl disc right now.
"I wouldn't live there if you paid me to."

Putting that album on right now.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A small thing that I take great pleasure from, I am listening to the same vinyl record, played through the same set of speakers, as I did first three and a half decades ago. I like my old things.

I don't have to prove; That I am creative; You can't see it; Until it's finished!

My goodness, we were so damn hip in 1978.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…