Official Wine Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Official Wine Thread

Post by Shirley »

I don't really have a wine to offer here, but we used to have one of these and ... well, this article made me think of it:
A wine rated 91 on one tasting would often be rated an 87 or 95 on the next. Some of the judges did much worse, and only about one in 10 regularly rated the same wine within a range of ±2 points.

Mr. Hodgson also found that the judges whose ratings were most consistent in any given year landed in the middle of the pack in other years, suggesting that their consistent performance that year had simply been due to chance.
It bears repeating that the judges Hodgson surveyed were no ordinary taste-testers. These were judges at California State Fair wine competition – the oldest and most prestigious in North America. If you think you can consistently rate the "quality" of wine, it means two things:

1: No. You can't.

2. Wine-tasting is bullshit.
http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit ... -496098276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was a good nugget as well (and we talked about this in Marketing class in biz school):
In 2001, researcher Frédéric Brochet invited 54 wine experts to give their opinions on what were ostensibly two glasses of different wine: one red, and one white. In actuality, the two wines were identical, with one exception: the "red" wine had been dyed with food coloring.

The experts described the "red" wine in language typically reserved for characterizing reds. They called it "jammy," for example, and noted the flavors imparted by its "crushed red fruit." Not one of the 54 experts surveyed noticed that it was, in fact a white wine.
Totally Kafkaesque
SportsDoc
Brandt

Re: Official Wine Thread

Post by SportsDoc »

ALAMOS. An $11 Malbec from Argentina is quite nice. But, I am not a wine judge, so ...
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Not one of the 54 experts surveyed noticed that it was, in fact a white wine.
Wow.

I fucking hate when I order a bottle of wine at dinner and the waiter/waitress makes me taste it before I give them the okay to pour it. It feels so pompous. I already ordered the wine and had you open it...it's not like I can send it back.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

Jerloma wrote:
Not one of the 54 experts surveyed noticed that it was, in fact a white wine.
Wow.

I fucking hate when I order a bottle of wine at dinner and the waiter/waitress makes me taste it before I give them the okay to pour it. It feels so pompous. I already ordered the wine and had you open it...it's not like I can send it back.

Yes you can. That's specifically why you are tasting it. Sending it back just b/c you don't like it is a dick move, but if that fucker is corked send it back.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

The California wine revolution pretty much proved Hodgson's point decades ago. The best French wine judges in the world blind tasted French vs. California wines. And Cali won out. And this was when the rest of the world thought California was to wines what Budweiser is to beer. They were swearing that the wines they tasted were French.

Anyone that pays a ton more because a wine is rated 95 versus 89 is an idiot. So much of this is personal taste anyway. I do love a good Bordeaux. But I also love a lot of Spanish tempranillos and granaches that cost under $10/bottle.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

garyclark wrote:The California wine revolution pretty much proved Hodgson's point decades ago. The best French wine judges in the world blind tasted French vs. California wines. And Cali won out. And this was when the rest of the world thought California was to wines what Budweiser is to beer. They were swearing that the wines they tasted were French.

Anyone that pays a ton more because a wine is rated 95 versus 89 is an idiot. So much of this is personal taste anyway. I do love a good Bordeaux. But I also love a lot of Spanish tempranillos and granaches that cost under $10/bottle.

Word. I've never paid more than $20 for a bottle of wine in my life (in a store, restaurant is another story, but those bottles would have been under $20 in a store). When I have been given the luxury of expensive wines, they are nice, and sometimes I can taste that they are more refined, but I can't see spending that kind of money of wine. Then again, I used to say that about beer, and now I am a major beer snob. OTOH, I drink one or two bottles of beer a week, but the ABV% is high enough to give me a solid buzz at 2 bottles in a sitting. So 2 beers at 10-12% isn't any more expensive than 8 Coors Light for the same amount of alcohol.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Someone brought a bottle of this over at some point. I opened it tonight. Pretty good.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Apothic Red is very nice.

Want to believe that wine tasting experts are full of shit? Grab this book: Image

And in "Gulp" by Mary Roach, she has wine experts admitting that there is really no difference between $20 wines and $200 wines.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Run to your local wine shop, and if he has Meiomi Pinot Noir, buy a bottle. Very affordable and I love it. Fruit forward, very jammy.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife came down with a low grade fever late in the day. I made her an appt for a test on her way home and then she came home and locked herself upstairs.

I had already opened a bottle before she called me and WTF difference is it gonna make and I’m off tomorrow anyway (need to use up PTO days before the end of the year) so let’s go.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you told me somebody had reopened and posted in a thread for the first time in eight years, I would’ve guessed it would be Rass.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Our wine recommendations are sorely lacking. I’ve opened one bottle in the last 5-10 years. Not sure why I don’t drink wine anymore, I just always choose beer or whisky.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:10 am Our wine recommendations are sorely lacking. I’ve opened one bottle in the last 5-10 years. Not sure why I don’t drink wine anymore, I just always choose beer or whisky.
Since I've stopped drinking during the week (trying to figure out my insomnia issues), my wine consumption has gone way down. But did have a wonderful bottle of GSM (Grenache/Syrah/Mouvedre) blend with Thanksgiving dinner. Came from this small Washington Winery (Callan Cellars) which is owned by a woman winemaker and is a family business (her parents both help out in the tasting room).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I have no clue where we'd start. So many varietals, years, labels, colors, etc. I'd love to learn more but it seems daunting. Also, I wish that smaller bottles were more appropriate. The selection at 375ml is really small, and as I'm generally the only one in my house that will drink it, I feel like I waste too much of it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:51 pm I have no clue where we'd start. So many varietals, years, labels, colors, etc. I'd love to learn more but it seems daunting. Also, I wish that smaller bottles were more appropriate. The selection at 375ml is really small, and as I'm generally the only one in my house that will drink it, I feel like I waste too much of it.
Bah, you're a smart dude... It's not all that complicated. Just stick to the 3 or 4 main varietals in white and red to see what you like and then you can branch out into all the sub-varietals and blends and stuff.

Here:

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And, btw, Pinot Gris (FRA) and Pinot Grigio (ITA) is basically same grape in different soil. Gris is sweeter, but with more of kick. Grigio is lighter and usually more citrus flavor involved.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:51 pm I have no clue where we'd start. So many varietals, years, labels, colors, etc. I'd love to learn more but it seems daunting. Also, I wish that smaller bottles were more appropriate. The selection at 375ml is really small, and as I'm generally the only one in my house that will drink it, I feel like I waste too much of it.
Find a local wine shop...and go talk to them. They will love to talk to you. They probably even hold tasting events.

For us, we generally tend to like the drier, lighter reds. So we stick with Malbec, Syrah, and Tempranillo. Sometimes we'll break out a big Red, like a Cab Sauv or a Zin, but that is mostly dependent on what we are having for dinner that night. I don't really drink whites, but my GF usually goes for a Sauv Blanc or a Pinot Gris.

I really love the Oregon Pinot Noirs, but with those generally if you aren't spending at least $18-20 a bottle, they aren't very good.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:51 pm
Find a local wine shop...and go talk to them. They will love to talk to you. They probably even hold tasting events.

For us, we generally tend to like the drier, lighter reds. So we stick with Malbec, Syrah, and Tempranillo. Sometimes we'll break out a big Red, like a Cab Sauv or a Zin, but that is mostly dependent on what we are having for dinner that night. I don't really drink whites, but my GF usually goes for a Sauv Blanc or a Pinot Gris.

I really love the Oregon Pinot Noirs, but with those generally if you aren't spending at least $18-20 a bottle, they aren't very good.
Someone watched Sideways.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:53 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Someone watched Sideways.
In 'Sideways' they are drinking California Pinots, from the Santa Ynez area. Oregon Pinots are way better.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

All I remember from that movie is that they aren't drinking fucking Merlot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:59 pm All I remember from that movie is that they aren't drinking fucking Merlot.
This scene was the one that killed me:

And that was filmed at the Fess Parker Winery...yes, Fess Parker who played Davey Crockett.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Y'all will laugh, but that movie was the first time I recall being introduced to the concept of a guy kinda liking his woman fucking another guy.

Also feel like the last time I watched Sideways it hadn't aged well at all. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 pm Y'all will laugh, but that movie was the first time I recall being introduced to the concept of a guy kinda liking his woman fucking another guy.

Also feel like the last time I watched Sideways it hadn't aged well at all. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.

Something to watch why your wife is occupied?

(sorry too easy.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 pm Y'all will laugh, but that movie was the first time I recall being introduced to the concept of a guy kinda liking his woman fucking another guy.
I went to elementary, middle and high school with that actress. Missy Doty is her name. That audition must've been super easy for her because her silly, happy on-screen persona is exactly how she was when I knew her. I can't speak about her sexual proclivities, however.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We drink a lot of wine and belong to four wine clubs. One of my wife’s favorite things to do is go visit wineries in Napa or (especially) Sonoma counties. If any of y’all visit out here and are into wine, let me know and we can do free tasting when we are in the club.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 pm We drink a lot of wine and belong to four wine clubs. One of my wife’s favorite things to do is go visit wineries in Napa or (especially) Sonoma counties. If any of y’all visit out here and are into wine, let me know and we can do free tasting when we are in the club.
I'd totally be down for that, but it'd take away from brewery time.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 pm We drink a lot of wine and belong to four wine clubs. One of my wife’s favorite things to do is go visit wineries in Napa or (especially) Sonoma counties. If any of y’all visit out here and are into wine, let me know and we can do free tasting when we are in the club.
Love going to Napa. We belong to just one club now...the Callam Cellars mentioned above. We used to belong to 2 others, but they both were 6 bottles every 6 months, which may not sound like a lot, but they were really nice wines, and we would always say 'these are Thanksgiving wines...not Thursday night', so we ended up with a bunch stashed in our basement. The Callam club has a 2 bottles every 6 months which is very reasonable.

Almost all of the Washington wineries have tasting rooms in Woodinville, which is great, but after tasting at 2 or 3 places my taste buds are blown out, and I can't really tell the difference.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:14 pm I'd totally be down for that, but it'd take away from brewery time.
I concur. Though with our change of vendors I don't know the next time I'll be able to drink a 17% stout on the train to a Sharks game.

ETA When I was out there with my preggo wife we drove around Napa and she's like fuck it we need to stop for one glass of wine. We pulled in the next place that looked good. It was a brewery (and not a good one.)