2015 MLS

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: 2015 MLS

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ibrahimovic applying for a Visa (which Swedish tourists don't need)
http://www.espnfc.us/story/2382554/psg- ... nks-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sooo ... MLS is kind of a joke, huh? NYCFC game is heading into the 2nd half, but just about to start on local television.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Sooo ... MLS is kind of a joke, huh? NYCFC game is heading into the 2nd half, but just about to start on local television.
Unfortunately, yes. Try as they might, it's a bit of a joke.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Toronto FC in the middle of a season-opening 7 game road trip while stadium is upgraded.

1-3 with fan interest non-existent at this point and the stadium just might not be ready on schedule.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/s ... e23887242/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

when the cbc first televised hockey they didn't pick it up until after the 2nd periods of games.

so what i'm saying is that in 50 years, MLS will be *ENORMOUS* in Canada.

in all seriousness tho, the 'Caps are a pretty big deal up here, as is this Cascadia Cup (Van, Portland, Seattle). It's definitely gotten me into the league since i moved here - going to the games is great; i'd watch a lot more if i had cable :)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

SKC's Ike Opara ruptured his achilles' on Saturday. Been the best defender in the league this season. Ugh.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds like the fat lady has sung on his 2015.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sounders mid-field is atrocious.

My GF would probably smack Marco Pappa in the head if she saw him on the street. She seethes with hatred every time he touches the ball.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Smart woman.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Allstars will play Tottenham. Considering how serious the EPL takes this matchup, I can only hope Ted Lasso will be there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty sure the NYCFC head coach has diarrhea ...

@NYCFC: #NYCFC Head Coach @JasonKreis is not on the sideline tonight due to illness. He is watching the match from inside Yankee Stadium.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Ouch Ballouchy.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Allstars will play Tottenham. Considering how serious the EPL takes this matchup, I can only hope Ted Lasso will be there.
I saw Spurs play Toronto FC last summer and Tottenham ran out some players who most of the members of Spurs Canada (and these guys are pretty hardcore) didn;t know.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

How the hell can MLS let the NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium? The game last night (vs Sounders FC) was a joke. That field is so compressed...not even close to being the right size. There were multiple crosses that just sailed out of bounds. And, there's the bad grass transition where they lay turf over the infield cut out.

Are there plans to build NYCFC a "soccer-only" type stadium?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They've said (on the team broadcast, so not quite unbiased) its just inside regulation for width, which I guess has a range. I forget who, maybe KC, actually scored on a set play throw-in into the box, which seemed embarrassing.

As far as I know, there's no set spot for the NYCFC stadium, just a general "there will be a stadium" proposal. I've seen both near Yankee and new-Shea to use the existing infrastructure and I've seen along the Hudson (which would be awesome). I do know everyone hates it how it is now.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

They floated a proposal in the paper last week to partner with Columbia University, tear down the existing stadium and build a new one for MLS and Columbia football. Won't fly, CU would be foolish to do it, neighborhood can't handle the traffic. I figured they would just jack some of the playfields adjacent to Yankee Stadium, like on the site of the old stadium.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/sport ... mplex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They should just build a natural grass field on the roof of Penn Station.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

There's a hockey rink on the roof of Penn Station.

(Not on Madison. Not square. And not a garden.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So, Pirlo to NYCFC.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pros: There were some cool free kick videos.

Cons: He's the most stereotypical looking Italian ever.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Pros: There were some cool free kick videos.

Cons: He's the most stereotypical looking Italian ever.
Go read his biography. It's great.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I had just seen his present day picture, I would have assumed he was some hero of the 1988 World Cup or something, not a guy younger than me.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:If I had just seen his present day picture, I would have assumed he was some hero of the 1988 World Cup or something, not a guy younger than me.
It's the dichotomy of Italians. Either they look like homeless middle-age men or models. (The women also, ammmirite?)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So the league that decides each star's destination put Michael Bradley on a Canadian team?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:So the league that decides each star's destination put Michael Bradley on a Canadian team?
Tim Leiweke
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Timbers beat out a handful of Mexican and La Liga clubs to sign 22 y/o striker/winger from Argentina for $5 mil. Lucas Melano. This kid has the tools to blow up.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DC United made a trade for Álvaro Saborío for Luis Silva. Saborio was very good a few years ago and has been trouble for the USMNT when playing Costa Rica.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

MLS All Star team has no members of DC United....which is leading the supporters shield. I guess Hamid would have been picked if he was not out for surgery...but this is the same game where Lampard and Gerrard were selected before stepping on the field for their team.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yesterday was a really good day if you liked exciting games, goals, and sub par defending. Orlando v. NYC was a 5-3 game. Kaka, And about 35 minutes for Pirlo. His game reminded me of Valderama in the MLS. Get a ball near the center circle, nifty dribble, and then dangerous outlet without breaking a sweat.

DC went down 2-0 to Philly before 3 minutes had been played. DC United then played all out for the next 88 minutes and pulled a 3-2 win despite a missed PK and chip off the post against them.

Dallas 4-1 over Portland
Houston 3-0 of L.A.
2-2 Chicago v. New England
3-3 Crew v. Toronto.

Only pitchers duel was Montreal 1-0 over Sounders.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Saw the end of the Toronto FC game and it was a lot of fun.

This team never comes from behind, so maybe there's some promise here. Will have to watch them more closely as the season continues.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sounders have completely fallen apart as of late. Racked with injuries (Martins, Frei) and with Dempsey off with the USMNT, they've just sucked lately. Pretty much unwatchable.

Oh, and my GF's favorite player, Marco Pappa, got busted for a DUI...
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

They've lost their wheels to age. But Pirlo and Villa at NYFC should at least make for some moments that illustrate how the game should be played. Pirlo in particular will demonstrate a deft touch on the ball and preturnatural passing vision and execution. In a metaphor dating back when there were such things, he is a prototypical "sliderule passer."

MLS is often painful to watch. But one advantage to having a third-rate soccer league is that great players who cannot run well enough to do well in a top league can come to North America and continue to display classic soccer skills, perhaps even bending team tactics in their more sophisticated direction. Pirlo has a chance to be the ideal case.

Today I was searching for an example of what his situation is comparable to, for a friend who doesn't know much of soccer. The closest I can come is if Steve Nash could regain his health and return to basketball by playing in the Big 10. Even healthy, he's too old to be able to physically stay with the guards in that league. But his advanced skills and knowledge of the game would keep him on the court and even starring.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sounders have reached "DumpsterFire/TrainWreck" status. We went to the game last night and watched them lose 3-0 to Vancouver. Ouch...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dc and salt lake scored a few last night. 6-4 final with some really nice goals from Beckerman and Kemp.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DC47 wrote:They've lost their wheels to age. But Pirlo and Villa at NYFC should at least make for some moments that illustrate how the game should be played. Pirlo in particular will demonstrate a deft touch on the ball and preturnatural passing vision and execution. In a metaphor dating back when there were such things, he is a prototypical "sliderule passer."

MLS is often painful to watch. But one advantage to having a third-rate soccer league is that great players who cannot run well enough to do well in a top league can come to North America and continue to display classic soccer skills, perhaps even bending team tactics in their more sophisticated direction. Pirlo has a chance to be the ideal case.

Today I was searching for an example of what his situation is comparable to, for a friend who doesn't know much of soccer. The closest I can come is if Steve Nash could regain his health and return to basketball by playing in the Big 10. Even healthy, he's too old to be able to physically stay with the guards in that league. But his advanced skills and knowledge of the game would keep him on the court and even starring.
You undersell MLS
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:Saw the end of the Toronto FC game and it was a lot of fun.

This team never comes from behind, so maybe there's some promise here. Will have to watch them more closely as the season continues.
Or maybe not...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So DC United wins 1-0 with 1 shot during the game. For a team with no real big name DPs they continue to find a way to get results. Also Chris Rolfe is having a crazy good year for someone who can only be described as an above-average MLS player.

Also, last nights New York v. New York match was really enjoyable. Hard nose soccer. Up and down, mostly skillful play. Stadium atmosphere looked/sounded great. It may not be EPL, but when you step back a bit it is clear the level of play is going up each half season.

Also Toronto's pickup of former USMNT H. Gomez is a good short term improvement, but the problem with that team is not going toward the goal, it is keeping other teams from scoring.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote:The Sounders have reached "DumpsterFire/TrainWreck" status. We went to the game last night and watched them lose 3-0 to Vancouver. Ouch...
And the dumpster fire rages on!

In case you missed it...Chad Barrett scores in the first minute yesterday against the Galaxy...then blows out his hammy as he's running after the goal (he wasn't really celebrating...just wheeling back towards midfield). Then the Sounders go on to lose 3-1.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

As impressive as SSFC's loss streak is, even if healthy they probably would've been dogs in that match. LAG is pretty much unbeatable at home.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Union v. KC for the US Open Cup and the Concacaf Champions League slot.