The Star Wars Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

The Star Wars Thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

This is big enough to spin off from the regular Movies thread, right?

Oh, and sorry, DC.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Re: The Star Wars Thread

Post by rass »

Holy...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Oh, and sorry, DC.
I guess that means I may have mentioned my decision to pass on a job offer with Lucas after the original Star Wars came out. I do occasionally regret this. It was on the computer science side, not the creative side. And they've done some pretty amazing technical things. But with every new movie, the trailer convinces me that it would have been hard to have any part in that world.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DC47 wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Oh, and sorry, DC.
I guess that means I may have mentioned my decision to pass on a job offer with Lucas after the original Star Wars came out. I do occasionally regret this. It was on the computer science side, not the creative side. And they've done some pretty amazing technical things. But with every new movie, the trailer convinces me that it would have been hard to have any part in that world.
More along the lines of knowing your dislike of the franchise and a pre-emptive apology for your having to see a dedicated thread on the front page. At least it will (hopefully) keep the regular Movies thread clear for you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That must be Luke with R2, right?

I like this from the director of Ep. VIII:
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And Han and Leia's theme kicking in with the appearance of the Falcon was great. I got chills.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

No luke in the poster. Luke better not be the bad guy.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Also: in just the few seconds we've seen from them so far, the new young actors have done more emoting than Portman and Christiansen did in the entirety of the prequels.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote:No luke in the poster. Luke better not be the bad guy.
I figured he was for some reason.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I watched the trailer for the sole purpose of seeing Adam Driver, but he was wearing a helmet and his voice was distorted. Boooo! Hopefully he doesn't spend the entire movie hidden from the audience. He's an absolutely magnetic actor. This role probably won't be the best showcase, but you guys will enjoy him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So is this supposed to be like the story following Return of the Jedi?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:So is this supposed to be like the story following Return of the Jedi?

Yup.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Didn't DV die in ROTJ?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Didn't DV die in ROTJ?

Yup...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh, I thought he was in that trailer.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

No, you're probably confusing him with Kylo Ren, the dark jedi/sith whatever. But at one point he talked to Vader's mask. Similar looks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bapo! wrote:I watched the trailer for the sole purpose of seeing Adam Driver, but he was wearing a helmet and his voice was distorted. Boooo! Hopefully he doesn't spend the entire movie hidden from the audience. He's an absolutely magnetic actor. This role probably won't be the best showcase, but you guys will enjoy him.
There is a photo out there of him in action and in costume without a mask, but it was from a special EW (or VF?) article so it may have just been a publicity shot? I don't think he has been in any of the teasers or trailers without the mask.

Just like they haven't shown Luke yet, there is another character played by Andy Serkis that we haven't seen yet (though I think his voice was in the Thanksgiving teaser last year), and everyone assumes he will be the big bad for the new movies. Driver's character could be a showy one film villain and get Darth Maul'd.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shot by shot breakdown.

They do point out that Driver (seen from behind) has no mask on in the last shot of the trailer. Missed that.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Thanks, rass. I thought that he had signed up for all three movies (there are going to be three, right?), but it looks like I was mistaken. Oh, well. This will definitely raise his profile regardless.

I'll show myself out. I'm about as lost here as Pruitt would be in a thread about advanced metrics. Have fun unpacking the trailer.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I had written off the franchise, but this looks promising.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, pretty all in. Definitely very hopeful.

Tickets bought for Saturday the 19th - non-3d show - reserved seating at a Cinemark here in Baltimore area. Reserved seating is pretty damn worth it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:Yeah, pretty all in. Definitely very hopeful.

Tickets bought for Saturday the 19th - non-3d show - reserved seating at a Cinemark here in Baltimore area. Reserved seating is pretty damn worth it.

There's one in Lexington now that does this. Pretty freaking awesome. It's further away but worth it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've come around on the reserved seating concept. It clashed with my general policy of "always be early for everything" since I would usually get decent seats anyway.

I guess I should look into tix? I organized a big thing with a bunch of friends when Ep I came out. I really don't feel like doing that again. Maybe I'll find a nice quiet overnight show somewhere....
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:I've come around on the reserved seating concept. It clashed with my general policy of "always be early for everything" since I would usually get decent seats anyway.

I guess I should look into tix? I organized a big thing with a bunch of friends when Ep I came out. I really don't feel like doing that again. Maybe I'll find a nice quiet overnight show somewhere....
I am also a "get there early" person and probably still will be - but knowing I have seats (and their exact numbers/location etc.) is def relaxing. The place here that does this kicks in a free small popcorn per ticket and there is a full menu with service to the seats if you want to order burgers/appetizers etc. It's been kind of a neat deal.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:
rass wrote:I've come around on the reserved seating concept. It clashed with my general policy of "always be early for everything" since I would usually get decent seats anyway.

I am also a "get there early" person and probably still will be - but knowing I have seats (and their exact numbers/location etc.) is def relaxing. The place here that does this kicks in a free small popcorn per ticket and there is a full menu with service to the seats if you want to order burgers/appetizers etc. It's been kind of a neat deal.
One theater around here not only has reserve seating, but has actually installed big comfy recliners for seats. It's a fantastic way to watch a movie.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Managed to get a first night, first showing ticket at a smaller regional theater chain thanks to their wonky website where the ordering process is kind of hidden.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would gladly pay the cost of a movie ticket to this movie to not have to hear anything more about it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

One theater around here not only has reserve seating, but has actually installed big comfy recliners for seats. It's a fantastic way to watch a movie.

Cinemark?

Same here - large comfy recliner type seats.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

Cinemark?

He one in Lexington is a regal but same thing. I hate food service though at a movie I want to see and pay attention to. Comedy? Sure. This one? Not so much.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The food service best used ahead of movie starting - i get reserved in front row of balcony in case others do not feel similarly constrained.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My daughter has never seen the original trilogy (bad parenting), and voiced interest last night, because of the buzz around the new movie. So, rather than fuck with streaming, this afternoon I bought the dvd combo that includes all three of them. Guess what we're doing tonight!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Chugging dramamine?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote:My daughter has never seen the original trilogy (bad parenting), and voiced interest last night, because of the buzz around the new movie. So, rather than fuck with streaming, this afternoon I bought the dvd combo that includes all three of them. Guess what we're doing tonight!
Nice. That's quality family time.

Also, it is hard not be a little excited for the new ones - I trust Abrams and the 1-3 were so disappointing the bar is set wonderfully low. Helps.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, it seems to me that anyone ducking into this thread who doesn't like Star Wars or isn't excited about it is kinda trolling. Maybe visit the "I hate Star Wars" thread.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:Also, it seems to me that anyone ducking into this thread who doesn't like Star Wars or isn't excited about it is kinda trolling. Maybe visit the "I hate Star Wars" thread.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

Cinemark?

He one in Lexington is a regal but same thing. I hate food service though at a movie I want to see and pay attention to. Comedy? Sure. This one? Not so much.
Ours is a Cinemark too. But no food service, other than the usual counters in the lobby.

There's another theater around here that started selling real food and beer. Each row of seats has a counter in front so you aren't eating off your lap. But they don't usually play the more serious films there.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote:
sancarlos wrote:My daughter has never seen the original trilogy (bad parenting), and voiced interest last night, because of the buzz around the new movie. So, rather than fuck with streaming, this afternoon I bought the dvd combo that includes all three of them. Guess what we're doing tonight!

Also, it is hard not be a little excited for the new ones - I trust Abrams and the 1-3 were so disappointing the bar is set wonderfully low. Helps.
A lot of people seem to be shitting on his Star Trek reboots and I have enjoyed those. I'm legit excited for what is to come. Come to think of it, I've enjoyed almost everything Abrams has put his hands on.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: