Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Summer Reading Thread

Post by Pruitt »

Been reading a lot lately.

Currently loving this one:

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Re: Summer Reading Thread

Post by Giff »

This one is so great.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yup.

It even prompted me to drive through Ouray, Colorado, on our way back from Mesa Verde a couple weeks ago.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Part way through the new Grisham (have to get this one back from the library to finish), finished the Gladwell (Bomber Mafia), picking up on occasion Blazertanica (Have Rog Bennett book on preorder), and current reading Bruno Chief of Police.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton is an awesome drive.

Almost got kicked off the wrestling team after our football team bus (with coaches onboard) drove past a couple of us walking out of a Ouray liquor store with a couple twelve-packs in our arms. What a day that was.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:50 am Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton is an awesome drive.

Almost got kicked off the wrestling team after our football team bus (with coaches onboard) drove past a couple of us walking out of a Ouray liquor store with a couple twelve-packs in our arms. What a day that was.
Same thing happened to me senior year. A buddy of mine and I got MIPs at a football game. Had in-school suspension for a week and then had a week of hell during the pre-season basketball practices. One of those where the guys hung around after practice to see what our punishment was and then respectfully left the gym after seeing what we were in store for.

Fast forward two months and the soccer team sees my buddy smoking a cigarette off campus and reports it. He gets booted from the team and when I went to state his case to the coach, I was quickly rebuffed when he said he about kicked me off for being around it, but they didn't see me doing anything wrong.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I started this one last night, and stayed up too late reading (of course, it being close to 90 degrees was a factor):

Nothing weighty, but a fun read so far.

I've also been on a streak of reading the Phillip Kerr "Bernie Gunther" detective books. The mysteries aren't usually that great, but the setting (war era Berlin) makes them interesting.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nice. Sounds good. I get nearly all my book recommendations from this site and y'all have rarely let me down.

I can't recommend Wanderers enough. It does get a little over the top, but for an apocalyptic novel, it's up there as one of the best, IMO. I heard they're making a TV show and he's writing a sequel.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nearly finished

Grisham is out of his depth on this one. I know he is not the great american novelist and wordsmith, but years ago I heard an interview explaining why he did not write about sex (his wife says he does not know how to do it). Well she should have gone and seen him shoot a jump shot. A very intersting premise (enough that I have wanted to finish it) but could have been SOOO much better. Actually think if he worked with John Feinstein as a collab they would have found the right tone, realism, and words to make this a great book.

Next up
read the first chapter and was pretty engaged

and Image
which showed up at my doorstep yesterday.

Figure my beach reading for next week is in a good spot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I heard a couple comedians talking about this book on their podcasts and gave it go. Audiobook is interesting, as each chapter is read by a different comedian. Novel about an old, washed up road comic that blew his brief brush with fame. Apparently he is an amalgamation of the legend of several road comics only comedians remember. He is a violent ex-con addicted to cocaine and alcohol, and probably sex. Truly a horrible human being, but the writing is so damned good, it's compelling. Cameo appearance of Norm MacDonald was pretty great. Actually, more than a cameo, but as someone who enjoys Norm (not sure its possible to be a Norm "fan"), it was well done.

Enjoyed this book about legendary East Coast shit-hole amusement park Action Park. Written by one of the owner's sons, partially his memoir, partially his account of the history of the park and his father's impulsive decisions. I really enjoyed it, but he probably could have cut out a couple hours worth of stories, it started to get a bit repetitive.

I have a friend who grew up in a neighboring town who was a lifeguard at a resort owned by the book's author, and as the author mentioned, he was forced to recruit lifeguards from other properties to work at the death trap wave pool. They averaged 5 saves an hour and lost a life or two. My friend said he would hide when they asked for volunteers to work at Action Park, but he was roped into it a few times, and he told almost identical stories and said nothing I shared from the book was hyperbole.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And sometimes you just need a nasty slice of old time British crime.

Highly recommended if you like that sort of thing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The 1971 film of Get Carter is airing on Turner Classic Movies on July 9th. I've got my DVR set!
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just read:
ImageImage

Now starting:
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I have that same Hemingway edition. 1950's printing iirc
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 pm I started this one last night, and stayed up too late reading (of course, it being close to 90 degrees was a factor):

Finished this today...and it was really good! Highly recommended!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finished this yesterday...

Second in a series (read the first one a few months ago). Main character is a Game Warden in Maine who gets involved in murder mysteries.

I'm usually not a mystery reader, but I like the setting, and he writes well about the oddities of Maine and the wilderness.

Now on to the 'Defector Reads A Book' selection....'The Talented Mr Ripley'. Seen the movie (of course), but have never read the book.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Listening to the Dune audiobook currently. Enjoying it more than I expected to.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tom Scharpling’s memoir (It Never Ends) has had me laughing out loud at least twice per chapter so far.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a big fan of all things Jon Wurster, but have never really listened to Best Show. Might need to remedy that.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

image.png
image.png (128.75 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This book is blowing me away - like living inside the internet. Funny and disturbing... (read half of it in one sitting)

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Horrible effort at beach reading the last two weeks. Not sure what happened - I’ve had years where the kids needed to be handheld at the water’s edge where I read more.

Alright x3 (Dazed and Confused history) was great. Quit on this because the fucking print was too small for all but perfect sunlight and I forgot my reading glasses, and switched to Rog Bennett’s book. Has it been mentioned somewhere (not here necessarily) how much young Rog looks like Vanessa Bauer’s Bar Mitzvah boy? Must have been.

*Enjoyed as far as I got in the YR book because I had no idea how intertwined some of those 70s acts were.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:41 pm Horrible effort at beach reading the last two weeks. Not sure what happened - I’ve had years where the kids needed to be handheld at the water’s edge where I read more.

Alright x3 (Dazed and Confused history) was great. Quit on this because the fucking print was too small for all but perfect sunlight and I forgot my reading glasses, and switched to Rog Bennett’s book. Has it been mentioned somewhere (not here necessarily) how much young Rog looks like Vanessa Bauer’s Bar Mitzvah boy? Must have been.

*Enjoyed as far as I got in the YR book because I had no idea how intertwined some of those 70s acts were.
There goes grandpa sancarlos yelling at clouds again.

Just finished Updike's Rabbit, Run. Meh. I really get annoyed by books not broken up into chapters. I suppose it was good but I have no motivation to read anything else by him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I finished 'Talented Mr Ripley', and was decidedly 'meh' about it. It was good...but it certainly didn't make that much of an impression on me. Maybe if I hadn't seen the movie. And it lacked the 'Tommy...how's the peeping?' scene that was in the movie, which was incredibly creepy.

Currently reading this:

from hearing it talked about on the Men In Blazers podcast. Its good...short essays where the author rates on a yelp various aspects of the current world, from the Indy 500 to lawns.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:18 pm
rass wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:41 pm Horrible effort at beach reading the last two weeks. Not sure what happened - I’ve had years where the kids needed to be handheld at the water’s edge where I read more.

There goes grandpa sancarlos yelling at clouds again.

Just finished Updike's Rabbit, Run. Meh. I really get annoyed by books not broken up into chapters. I suppose it was good but I have no motivation to read anything else by him.
I read that book a few years ago, while I was on a literature kick.

Do we need spoiler tags for sixty-year-old well-known novels?
[+] spoiler
Because if I had known they were going to have a kid drown, I wouldn't have read the damn book. Life is sad enough already.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It’s pretty bleak.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 pm I started this one last night, and stayed up too late reading (of course, it being close to 90 degrees was a factor):

Finished this today...and it was really good! Highly recommended!
Read this based on your rec and it was very good, even if I kind of saw where the book was going. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, given the plot. In fact, I think maybe you're supposed to see it coming? I dunno. I've just had some weed so maybe I'm reading too much into the author's intentions.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

[+] spoiler
the worst part of that was there was a 50 page buildup to it and the entire time I kept thinking, he's not gonna kill off the baby, is he?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Finished reading this book recently and I definitely recommend it for the only sort of depressed "How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use". It turns out there are a lot of things in our daily lives, that we absolutely have control over, that make us miserable and might just be so woven in we don't stop to think about it.
https://www.amazon.com/.../B019.../ref= ... e-redirect...
(The book is very specific about how clinical depression is a very real thing and one should seek treatment for it.)